Forget about the future deficits, and let's talk Harper lies

punked

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Finance Department's fiscal monitor shows Ottawa posted a $600-million deficit in October, bringing the budgetary surplus for the first seven months of this fiscal year to a modest $200-million.

So, for now we are still in the black. But Harper needs to cut spending. Now.

I am continually amazed by how some can take what Harper said before the election and ascribe it to mean we were okay. I took it to mean that our economy is not under the same degree of stress as the US, our economy is different and DON'T PANIC.

I guess when you don't understand the basics of our economy, panic and confusion comes easily.

I am continually amazed by how some can take what Harper said before the election and ascribe it to mean we were okay. I took it to mean that our economy is not under the same degree of stress as the US, our economy is different and DON'T PANIC.

I guess when you don't understand the basics of our economy, panic and confusion comes easily.

"I know economists will say well, we could run a small deficit but the problem is that once you cross that line as we see in the United States, nothing stops deficits from getting larger and larger and spiralling out of control."

- Prime Minister Stephen Harper (Oct. 6)

Yes, and people were well aware the CPC were in a deficit position in the Spring. Therefore it was clear then that all the surpluses were exhausted/wasted, and unlikely that the country was in a fundamentally strong position.

Harper said many things. People are stupid to take his words at face value.

Regardless, of the "Don't Panic" statement, the words mean SFA.

I am amazed this thread exists. Harper has been misleading and spinning since taking office. Nothing new here.

Yes, and people were well aware the CPC were in a deficit position in the Spring. Therefore it was clear then that all the surpluses were exhausted/wasted, and unlikely that the country was in a fundamentally strong position.

Harper said many things. People are stupid to take his words at face value.

Regardless, of the "Don't Panic" statement, the words mean SFA.

I am amazed this thread exists. Harper has been misleading and spinning since taking office. Nothing new here.

So if the voters vote for Harper they're "stupid". ANd what? If the same voters vote for The Liberals they're brilliant?

So if the voters vote for Harper they're "stupid". ANd what? If the same voters vote for The Liberals they're brilliant?

No Mr. Canada. People do not take Politicians words at Face Value. Few people believed Harper during the election. Most people are very very smart and could read right through his mis information campaign regarding the deficit and the economy. People knew we were heading into a deficit and understood the economy was going to be on shakey ground no matter what lies Harper told the public.

People could also figure out the difference between choosing an IDIOT over a LIAR. We are used to liars in politics. Most politicians are viewed by the public as liars. However, the public has little desire to vote for an IDIOT with stupid policies/platform, over an incumbent government that is campaigning without a platform and weak term in office.

(OR to put it mildly, Harper can thank his lucky stars he faced Dion)

Edited by madmax

Its a little late for that don't you think? Or is it too early? The fact remains that Harper is the Prime Minister and he alone has the responsibility to run this government. Not only the lies, but the actions of party members as well as the actions of public sector employees all fall on his doorstep. You want to take on Harper, then set the table in the right way first. The man is no fool.

We cannot simply play out the rope and wait for him to hang himself, he will not walk into the loop. Lay the facts down before him and let him try to change reality. Don't simply say that he lied, declare that he is in control and responsible.

Those of us in Ontario are used to this kind of thing from Conservatives. Flaherty was a minister under Harris and Eves in this province, and they ran a campaign saying the books were balanced...when the Libs won the auditor gen reported something along the lines of a 5 billion dollar deficit.

Fixed election dates? Hmmmmmm, only kinda sorta.

No taxing of income trusts? Sure...if it'll get people to vote for us.

Sick of kissing up to Quebec? Yeah, okay...but we need 'em for a majority, PQs aren't so bad...here have a Senate Seat.

Senate Seats only by merit? Uhm, that doesn't include the Conservatives' biggest fundraiser.

And I'm only scratching the surface, c'mon guys...add some more:

Edited by gordiecanuk

Harper can get away with lies for two reasons:

1. He has a core constituency that would vote for him if he grew horns and revealed a 666 tattoo under his iron hair. For some people, his neo-conservative economic dogma is a religion.

2. The Conservative Party has enough money to buy the airwaves. Tell the lies enough times and they become the truth.

I'd like to be more hopeful but there it is.

People could also figure out the difference between choosing an IDIOT over a LIAR. We are used to liars in politics. Most politicians are viewed by the public as liars. However, the public has little desire to vote for an IDIOT with stupid policies/platform, over an incumbent government that is campaigning without a platform and weak term in office.

(OR to put it mildly, Harper can thank his lucky stars he faced Dion)

Was Paul Martin an idiot as well? Cause we beat him badly too...

Was Paul Martin an idiot as well? Cause we beat him badly too...

Paul Martin is on the heap with other former PMs like Trudeau, Clark, Mulroney and Chretien. The year is 2008 Mr. Canada...buy a new calendar.

Paul Martin is on the heap with other former PMs like Trudeau, Clark, Mulroney and Chretien. The year is 2008 Mr. Canada...buy a new calendar.

Uh, yeah. Who was the last Tory PM before Clark's 6 months in like 1982? Dief? back in the 60's? If it makes you feel better to blame the Tories for everything who've barely been in power the last 70 years go ahead.

Uh, yeah. Who was the last Tory PM before Clark's 6 months in like 1982? Dief? back in the 60's? If it makes you feel better to blame the Tories for everything who've barely been in power the last 70 years go ahead.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything Monsieur Canada...I just didn't understand why you were bringing up a former Liberal leader that's all, that was 2 elections ago. You can go all the way back to Macdonald or St Laurent if you want....we'll start a new thread.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything Monsieur Canada...I just didn't understand why you were bringing up a former Liberal leader that's all, that was 2 elections ago. You can go all the way back to Macdonald or St Laurent if you want....we'll start a new thread.

Heh, nah I was just making a point when you said something about a weak Liberal leader. I was drawing a comparison to Paul Martin who was stronger than Dion. Trying to get someone to fight me...hehe.

Welcome to MLW btw, I'm sure we'll fight more soon. :)

Heh, nah I was just making a point when you said something about a weak Liberal leader. I was drawing a comparison to Paul Martin who was stronger than Dion. Trying to get someone to fight me...hehe.

Welcome to MLW btw, I'm sure we'll fight more soon. :)

LoL...baiting another member, in a political discussion group. Harumph, I'd never do anything that low, well not too often anyway ;-)

Thanks for the welcome...dang ain't we just so Canadian.

Sept. 15: "My own belief is if we were going to have some kind of crash or recession, we probably would have had it by now."

Sept. 25: "The only way there is going to be a recession is if they're (the Liberals) elected and that's why they're not going to be elected."

Apparently Harper does not understand the economy becuase in October we entered the recession. Our GDP shrank as Harper ran around yelling at any party who dared mention or try to tell him what was coming.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/12/24/o...#socialcomments

It seems that some posters have forgotten that Do Do Dion and Jumpin' Jack Flash both committed to NOT running deficits in the last election. Both seemed to be conveniently oblivious to the oncoming economic storm.

Both didn't have access to the latest financial from the Department of Finance. They were working on outdated numbers. Harper was working with current numbers and it seems that he was being less than truthful as it was clear that the surplus was evaporating. Worst part is, I believed him.

Edited by Smallc

Both didn't have access to the latest financial from the Department of Finance. They were working on outdated numbers. Harper was working with current numbers and it seems that he was being less than truthful as it was clear that the surplus was evaporating. Worst part is, I believed him.

I didn't. In fact I was pretty sure that he knew and that is why he felt it was necessary to vote no confidence in his own government before people found out. He broke his own fixed election date law when he did that so he had to have known the situation was quickly getting worse. I still say when the books get examined we will find out the situation is much worse than they let on. The conservatives always act like the laws apply to everyone else but themselves, always have their own "interpretation" of the law. I'll bet they have their own "interpretation" of how books can show a balance.

I didn't. In fact I was pretty sure that he knew and that is why he felt it was necessary to vote no confidence in his own government before people found out. He broke his own fixed election date law when he did that so he had to have known the situation was quickly getting worse. I still say when the books get examined we will find out the situation is much worse than they let on. The conservatives always act like the laws apply to everyone else but themselves, always have their own "interpretation" of the law. I'll bet they have their own "interpretation" of how books can show a balance.

I wouldn't finger just the Conservatives with that. All politicians in power during a crisis try to minimize or even hide the extent, particularly when they're thinking "If I go for an election in October, I won't have to worry when next Spring brings real doom and gloom."

That's why I don't believe they'll force an election next month. Governments who go to the polls in an economic turndown are at a severe disadvantage. Even countering the public's current distaste for the Unholy Coalition, if we start seeing definitive numbers leaking out during an election campaign in February, Harper's goose will be cooked.