Online petitions for and against the coalition

TCCK

Dreading a repeat in history - I do not put my signature to any document concerning government. Anything is possible - Severe and crazed leftist IF they were to take power - would in time coming looking for you - as they did my grandfathers family in old soviet russia - it took the communist 6 years to finally get a conviction - then they shot my grandfather - this harmed my father perminently and effected my childhood - Those in the family that complied - were made judges...one of the questions they asked my grandfather who was a religious man..was "Do you believe in God?" - TRANSLATED - do you or do you not accept communist authority over your life? Call me hyper-vigilant but there are some nasty fanatical power mongers in this nation - and they could hurt you - so I decline.

130,000+ signatures on the anti-coalition petition with dozens being added by the second. How is that petition gaining so much traction? That's impressive. By far the most active on petitiononline.com as far as I can tell (it hasn't been updated since December 1st, but the most active at that point has only 40,000 or so signatures).

On the pro-coalition petition, there are less than 20,000 signatures.

Get stuffed. I want a petition "CanadiansAgainstMisinformation.ca", where all the fibs and distortions the Conservatives and their supporters are spreading about how our government functions are corrected.

Then you better stop posting more disinformation and lies have com efrom the those who wish to userp power from the people of Canada.

Do the Canadian people have the will to support goodness in the form of a GOOD government? I'm just wondering if there is enough goodness out there to pull it off.

Honestly, I will answer this with a yes, absolutely. Canadians should show their support for this or against this. Canadians should get involved. 59.1% of the people voted in the last election.

People should get involved in politics not only during an election, but all the time.

Woah u guys are quick I was just gonna post that

http://progressivecoalition.ca/

Yeah, but the anti-coalition has 220,000 + signatures.

Where your's only has 20,000.

So the anti-coalition one is 10 times LARGER than the pro-coalition one...

People, normal people do not like this coalition of losers. This coalition will not happen.

There are already cracks in it.

HA Ha, that first petition is protesting against a non-existent coalition. The Bloc isn't a member the coalition we all currently know - they only support it.

They are in the coalition in everything but name perhaps.

They have veto power over ANYTHING that they do.

They asked for and received concessions, already. You think that's it?

They will get senatorial seats for life? WTF? you think this is all fine and dandy?

You are THAT partisan that you are willing to pull the country apart to get your way?

Fine Canadian you are.

They are in the coalition in everything but name perhaps.

They have veto power over ANYTHING that they do.

They asked for and received concessions, already. You think that's it?

They will get senatorial seats for life? WTF? you think this is all fine and dandy?

You are THAT partisan that you are willing to pull the country apart to get your way?

Fine Canadian you are.

Honestly. I know you believe all that but I would invite you to join reality with the facts.

The Bloc has been convinced not to vote against the Coalition during any confidence motions. That's it. No veto power, no special backroom deals. No concessions. No under the table dealings. No senate appointments.

There is no doubt however that the Coalition would have to seek the Bloc's input into any budgets, or for the Speech from the Throne to ensure that Quebec's interests are represented. Stephen Harper would require no less by seeking cooperation from any of the opposition parties in order to successfully pass and vote of confidence.

Your fear mongering and hysteria gets in the way of your learning anything about the way that Parliament (especially a minority one) or politics in general works. Cooperation and consensus is a necessary component since Harper did not receive a mandate from the public to rule exclusively. We asked him to join with the other parities to make Parliament work for the next 23 months. He has demonstrated that he isn't interested in that and now will pay the ultimate consequence of losing power.

If the GG allow him to take this country to a general election I have no doubt that it will demonstrate that not only has he lost the confidence of Parliament and with it the ability to govern co-cooperatively, but he will have lost the confidence of the voters - those from Quebec that he has insulted and accused as traitors and those from the rest of the country that are not only pissed off with the cost and inconvenience of another election, but who are incensed that the economy gets shoved to a back burner while he tries to wrestle power from the majority will of Canadians.

Harper can't win and I highly doubt that he could even receive concessions now from the opposition to make this Parliament. I do believe that the only choice the GG has is to accept the majority will of Canadians and allow the Coalition to take the reigns. Whether that lasts or not is dependent on a number of delicate decisions. But in a time of economic crisis that is what we really need anyway - not some bullish partisan attacks without any serious economic stimulus.

Edited by charter.rights

Harper can't win and I highly doubt that he could even receive concessions now from the opposition to make this Parliament. I do believe that the only choice the GG has is to accept the majority will of Canadians and allow the Coalition to take the reigns. Whether that lasts or not is dependent on a number of delicate decisions. But in a time of economic crisis that is what we really need anyway - not some bullish partisan attacks without any serious economic stimulus.

The coalition will not last even if it does go through. The majority of Canadians didn't vote for Harper, you're right, but even fewer voted for a Liberal/NDP coalition. Combined the two parties still have less seats than the CPC.

I don't think YOU really understand how parliament works if you think the coalition is going to be stable and if you think the Bloc is not being given extraordinary power if the coalition is allowed to go through.

They signed an agreement they wouldn't vote against confidence issues? Is that kind of like how Harper signed to fix election dates? Do you seriously believe that the Bloc isn't going to demand concessions from the coalition? Do you seriously think they would avoid voting against something they felt was bad or (lol) not completely and totally tilted towards Quebec? That agreement is worth about as much as a fart in the wind. I would LOVE to see how strict the courts are with parliamentary agreements. One clue: They're NOT.

The coalition will not last even if it does go through. The majority of Canadians didn't vote for Harper, you're right, but even fewer voted for a Liberal/NDP coalition. Combined the two parties still have less seats than the CPC.

I don't think YOU really understand how parliament works if you think the coalition is going to be stable and if you think the Bloc is not being given extraordinary power if the coalition is allowed to go through.

They signed an agreement they wouldn't vote against confidence issues? Is that kind of like how Harper signed to fix election dates? Do you seriously believe that the Bloc isn't going to demand concessions from the coalition? Do you seriously think they would avoid voting against something they felt was bad or (lol) not completely and totally tilted towards Quebec? That agreement is worth about as much as a fart in the wind. I would LOVE to see how strict the courts are with parliamentary agreements. One clue: They're NOT.

Your fears do not trump reality. No doubt the Bloc will get a say in the content of the budget but no less than they got when they voted with Harper last term to support the government. That is the nature of minority governments. They must accept input from other parties to survive their mandate.

However, the best case is that we have a wide consensus on the economy. Harper could be involved IF he was willing to bend to the will of Parliament and work towards that consensus. Unfortunately he has chosen to confront, antagonize and demonize the very support that he needs to operate Parliament under a Conservative minority. And even IF an election is called there is no guarantee that he will receive more than he has already (and more likely less of a mandate that he received just 7 weeks ago). His goose is cooked. He made a calculated move that backfired. The only thing left is for him to do is to admit his defeat and let the present Coalition (or a newly elected Coalition) run the country towards economic stability.

If it only works for a few months then it is better than not working at all - which is the best we can hope for if the GG grants a prorogue, or an election......