The Federal Republic of Canada

Canada as a federal republic  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the future while "we" are harmonizing you may wake up one day and find you are no longer Canadian but North American, one big country, no border. Time will only tell but IF this is going to happen it will begin very slowly not to draw too much attention, like now. I guess by all the conspiracies, we have to wait until the US $$ is worthless or whatever reason they will used for Canada and the US to have the same legal tender.

So? Should we stop working with the Americans and cut all our business, political and military ties with the US because of at some point in the distant future we MIGHT be joined as a nation?

How? She is the Queen of Canada in a capacity that is completely separate from her role as Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That she's the same person is irrelevant. She occupies 16 completely separate and equal thrones. That means that she is as much Canada's Queen as she is Jamaica's Queen....and the two offices have nothing to do with each other. The UK exercises no power over Canada, Canada has no power over New Zealand, and New Zealand has no ability to exercise power over Bahamas.

The truth may hurt you, but it's still the truth.

You explain things just as a Stalinist in the 1930s would defend the Soviet Constitution.

If words are to mean anything, Queen Elizabeth is not Canadian - except possibly as an immigrant to our country.

To claim that she is "Queen of Canada" is nonsense. She's obviously not. All Canadians know that.

----

If I were a Canadian monarchist, I would at least respect other Canadians and admit that I favour a foreigner as our Head of State.

To claim otherwise is tantamount to Mao's claim that he represented a popular republic.

Edited by August1991

You explain things just as a Stalinist in the 1930s would defend the Soviet Constitution.

If words are to mean anything, Queen Elizabeth is not Canadian - except possibly as an immigrant to our country.

To claim that she is "Queen of Canada" is nonsense. She's obviously not. All Canadians know that.

----

If I were a Canadian monarchist, I would at least respect other Canadians and admit that I favour a foreigner as our Head of State.

To claim otherwise is tantamount to Mao's claim that he represented a popular republic.

I did not know that wily and you represented all Canadians... such a shame that the other 30+million of us don't count.

So your solution is to remove the queen as a head of state and do what? Have a president that we will have to elect every 4 years?

What do WE gain by removing the monarchy? And as much as wily has complained about the monarchy he has not presented anything legitimate against the monarchy except his inferiority complex.

So I as an immigrant am not a Canadian citizen?

Edited by Signals.Cpl

So your solution is to remove the queen as a head of state and do what? Have a president that we will have to elect every 4 years?
We have a GG now. Change the name to President (and reduce the household budget. Please.)
What do WE gain by removing the monarchy?
We tell the truth about our country, our society.
So I as an immigrant am not a Canadian citizen?
As an immigrant, you are as Canadian as my neighbour and I. (She and I argue about Canada, and one argument sadly involved centuries. I played trump with a Newfoundland card. One side of my family came here first, before my Quebec neighbour's ancestor did.)

If Queen Elizabeth were an immigrant to Canada, she would be a Canadian citizen. But she's not an immigrant, and she's not a Canadian citizen.

It's patently obvious to all, except those people who live in a Stalinist/bureaucratic world, that Queen Elizabeth is not Canadian.

Edited by August1991

realllly and where does this queen you fantasize about live? Toronto, Ottawa? Victoria? as I posted earlier if this granny is the queen of canada North Korea must be a Democratic Republic because it's says so right there in their name...

Conrad Black is more Canadian than she is, in fact every person who has chosen to make a home in canada is more canadian...what you're doing is self delusional word game it's like little kids playing dress-up, it's undignified for an adult to belittle themselves with celebrity worship, it's depressing watching grown men and women bowing and groveling to another because of their ancestry...

She lives in London, England. So?

She has appointed a Governor General in Ottawa and Lieutenant-Governors in the provincial capitols, since she can't be in 11 places at once.

August, this is just completely wrong. She's as much the Queen of Canada as Stephen Harper is the Prime Minister of Canada. To say otherwise is to be willingly ignorant. Even when I used to argue that the monarchy was an anachronism and pointless I didn't deny that she was the Queen of Canada. All power comes from the thrones. We don't have parliament, a prime minister, cabinet ministers, or laws without the Queen. She signs off on everything and is our Head of State.

How is she a foreigner? She's our Queen for crying out loud. You're trying to argue that the sky is not blue and the grass is not green. Maybe in your world, but in reality it is.

She has appointed a Governor General in Ottawa and Lieutenant-Governors in the provincial capitols, since she can't be in 11 places at once.

There's 12 good reasons to get rid of that money wasting pompous bloated pageantry.

Just think of where better that money could be spent...on feeding Canada's starving children.

We have a GG now. Change the name to President (and reduce the household budget. Please.)

Then what? Make the GG a puppet to the Prime Minister of the day that uses the position as a patronage appointment? Are you nuts? As if the PMO doesn't have enough power as it is, you want the GG to be subservient to it? I don't think so. Elections are also not the answer because the monarch provides stability. Having the GG play politics for his/her position is a dangerous proposition. Edited by cybercoma

There's 12 good reasons to get rid of that money wasting pompous bloated pageantry.

Just think of where better that money could be spent...on feeding Canada's starving children.

That bloated pageantry has stopped some of the most despicable bills from passing in provincial legislatures.

Your pompousness and arrogance is one thing. But, the sheer ignorance on which it's based makes it more; almost funny.

Who are you to sweep aside the constitution and the assertions of the government, parliament, and the armed forces based upon it?

I love this bonehead "argument". It always comes from people who 1) have no clue about the purpose of the Crown, 2) think Canadian tax dollars fund the British monarchy, and 3) can't explain how Canada will have the world's first no-cost presidency, despite implying that's what will replace the "waste of money" monarchy.

The Canadian monarchy - which has a lot less pageantry than other monarchies (which is regrettable, in some ways) - costs a buck and a half to each Canadian a year. What would the cost of a presidential election be, alone?

[ed.: c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

The Canadian monarchy - which has a lot less pageantry than other monarchies (which is regrettable, in some ways) - costs a buck and a half to each Canadian a year. What would the cost of a presidential election be, alone?

[ed.: c/e]

I'm sure there are numbers south of the border that would at least give us a hint.

How much money are we going to get? Tell me how we are to switch from having a GG to a president, keep all of the same functions of our head of state as well as having elections every 4 or 5 years and still save money? Or is it going to cost much more if we had a president then now.

We tell the truth about our country, our society.

I want to know what the benefit would be to me and the other 30+million Canadians to switch from having a GG and LG's to President? Because to me the truth is that the Queen is our Queen and Monarchy has been our system in one form or another since the NA was first colonized, thats the truth about our country and society.

She lives in London, England. So?

So in reality the Queen is simply an Earthling like everyone else - which only makes the hoopla all that much more puzzling when you really think about it.

Then what? Make the GG a puppet to the Prime Minister of the day that uses the position as a patronage appointment? Are you nuts? As if the PMO doesn't have enough power as it is, you want the GG to be subservient to it? I don't think so. Elections are also not the answer because the monarch provides stability. Having the GG play politics for his/her position is a dangerous proposition.

Perhaps if the Queen actually wielded a little power now and then by forcing Her politicians to do things like tell the truth and stop lying for example, us subjects might take them all a little more seriously.

Our governance is no better than the Royalty that Assents to it.

We have a blended heritage in Canada. We spend large sums of money on celebrating our First Nations culture, our French language, and the many contributions to our culture from China, India, Pakistan, the Ukraine, Sudan, etc. Is it too much to ask that we maintain this contibution from our English heritage? It costs virtually nothing, yet the English did contribute to this nation. (The tax payers of the UK who bear most of the cost of the Monarchy spend more money on the British Embassy in Paris than they spend on the entire Royal Family.)

If we were to have a President, we would end up with a politician as Head of State, rather than a person who is above politics. Who would you rather have as the personification of your country, Queen Elizabeth or Brian Mulroney.

So in reality the Queen is simply an Earthling like everyone else - which only makes the hoopla all that much more puzzling when you really think about it.

Did anyone say she's not an "Earthling like everyone else?" She's still our Head of State.

Perhaps if the Queen actually wielded a little power now and then by forcing Her politicians to do things like tell the truth and stop lying for example, us subjects might take them all a little more seriously.

How might she force politicians to tell the truth?

As far as wielding power over the laws passed in the legislature, she gives authority to the constitution, which is the benchmark by which we determine the validity of any given legislation.

Yah there is a laugh. The Queen who gets her income from budgets passed by politicians wielding power would only take a bigger and bigger pay check in the old "you scratch my back" thing.

Just get rid of the royals tell them they need to exist on their own. Being born into a family should not make you royalty anymore.

Edited by punked

Yah there is a laugh. The Queen who gets her income from budgets passed by politicians wielding power would only take a bigger and bigger pay check in the old "you scratch my back" thing.

Just get rid of the royals tell them they need to exist on their own. Being born into a family should not make you royalty anymore.

What percentage of the Royal Families income is coming from the Government of Canada?

I'm a WASP monarchists of the typical cord ;)

And Me tends to think that if it's not broke, why fix it...

.....So tell me why we need to fix it?

The idea of royalty is & has been "broke" for hundreds of years. The idea there are a certain class of leeches that are entitled to a perpetual free lunch on the "colonies" is too stupid to exist ---- & yet it does. Off with their heads or at least get them off their asses & out to work to earn a living. We need Ears & Horsie about as much as we need the senate or all the Gov/gens & Lute/Govs. we are asses to support them .

The idea of royalty is & has been "broke" for hundreds of years. The idea there are a certain class of leeches that are entitled to a perpetual free lunch on the "colonies" is too stupid to exist ---- & yet it does. Off with their heads or at least get them off their asses & out to work to earn a living. We need Ears & Horsie about as much as we need the senate or all the Gov/gens & Lute/Govs. we are asses to support them .

Post of the day award for you my friend. Post of the day.