RNC - My Favorite quotes so far

"Some politicians use "change" to advance their careers. Others use their careers to advance change" - Sarah Palin

"I guess being a mayor is kind of like being a "community organizer" ....except it has actual resposibilities" - Sarah Palin

"Republicans aren't all rich. (After describing his meagre beginings) I'm not a Republican because I am rich. I am a Republican because I don't want to stay poor waiting for the government to give me a hand out." - Mike Huckabee

"Change is not a destination. Hope is not a plan." - Rudy Giuliani

"Barack Obama has never been in charge of anything. Nothing. Nada" - Rudy Giuliani

"Barack Obama mocks Sarah Palin as mayor of a small town. But Sarah Palin got more votes as mayor of Wasila than Joe Biden did as a candidate for president of the United States." - Mitt Romney

"Here is a man who can talk for 2 hours about the war our country is involved in, without once using the word victory, except to describe his own campaign." - Sarah Palin

"Here is a man who has written two memoirs, yet has never once written a piece of meaningful legislation as a legislator" - Sarah Palin

My favourites:

"we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening. We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco."

"But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed ... when the roar of the crowd fades away ... when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot - what exactly is our opponent's plan? What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet?"

:wub:

"Some politicians use "change" to advance their careers. Others use their careers to advance change" - Sarah Palin

Good one.

"I guess being a mayor is kind of like being a "community organizer" ....except it has actual resposibilities" - Sarah Palin

An insult to anyone with responsabilities for job training programs, food bank,s voters registration drives, community groups, kid hockey program..

"Republicans aren't all rich. (After describing his meagre beginings) I'm not a Republican because I am rich. I am a Republican because I don't want to stay poor waiting for the government to give me a hand out." - Mike Huckabee

Clever... Too bad about the fact that programs that make the poor poorer and thetoric demonizing and belittling them is more likely to come from the Republican ranks.

"Change is not a destination. Hope is not a plan." - Rudy Giuliani

"Barack Obama has never been in charge of anything. Nothing. Nada" - Rudy Giuliani

Rudy Giuliani saying things that make sense. Wierdest things have happened.

"Barack Obama mocks Sarah Palin as mayor of a small town. But Sarah Palin got more votes as mayor of Wasila than Joe Biden did as a candidate for president of the United States." - Mitt Romney

Good one... Did the Democrats release the number of votes by candidate? And the quote by barack Obama mocking Sarah Palin is where?

"Here is a man who can talk for 2 hours about the war our country is involved in, without once using the word victory, except to describe his own campaign." - Sarah Palin

Could it be because there are no victory in Iraq?

"Here is a man who has written two memoirs, yet has never once written a piece of meaningful legislation as a legislator" - Sarah Palin

Good one.

"I grew up with those people. They are the ones who do some of the hardest work in America … who grow our food, run our factories, and fight our wars. They love their country, in good times and bad, and they’re always proud of America. I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town." (By Palin)

"For a season, a gifted speaker can inspire with his words. For a lifetime, John McCain has inspired with his deeds."

(By Palin)

Edited by betsy

Guest American Woman

"You can put lipstick on a pig," [Obama] said to an outbreak of laughter, shouts and raucous applause from his audience, clearly drawing a connection to Palin's joke even if it's not what Obama meant. "It's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."

Here's the clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

He says it was not directed at Palin, of course, but watching the clip, it certainly looks to me as though he thinks he just delivered a zinger.

People will make up their own minds... but if he's honestly surprised that people would think it was a dig at Palin, he just isn't as clever as people say he is.

-k

He says it was not directed at Palin, of course, but watching the clip, it certainly looks to me as though he thinks he just delivered a zinger.
Of course it was aimed at her. Obama is smart and you have to admit kimmy, it was a good line.

But maybe Obama is too smart by half.

BTW, thanks for the clip.

Edited by August1991

Wow. That would be over the top for a partisan blog yet it appears on the CBC website?
It's all over the right wing blogosphere - in Canada, and abroad.

The sad thing is that the CBC will probably fire Mallick. Instead, the CBC should hire someone just as controversial on the right and present both views. Then, people might listen to the CBC.

Instead, the CBC chooses only the boring Left. "Urban MOR", politically correct, non-smoker, anti-Harper, high school teacher, anti-US. Radio-Canada is better for politics.

Guest American Woman
Here's the clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

People will make up their own minds... but if he's honestly surprised that people would think it was a dig at Palin, he just isn't as clever as people say he is.

-k

Sounds as if people did make up their own minds and thought Obama was quite clever. :) But let me guess. Obama shouldn't have directed any zingers towards Palin, right? Cuz she's a woooooooman! She can deliver zingers against Obama, which you apparently think are quite clever, but oh no, no one can touch Palin. It could be that Obama isn't going to be cowed by the "Palin is a victim" crowd. I'd like to think that's true. That's why that's my favorite RNC quote. So far. I expect there will be more.

Sounds as if people did make up their own minds and thought Obama was quite clever. :) But let me guess. Obama shouldn't have directed any zingers towards Palin, right? Cuz she's a woooooooman! She can deliver zingers against Obama, which you apparently think are quite clever, but oh no, no one can touch Palin. It could be that Obama isn't going to be cowed by the "Palin is a victim" crowd. I'd like to think that's true. That's why that's my favorite RNC quote. So far. I expect there will be more.

Absolutely! Obama can say anything he likes! I never questioned his right to say it. I just question how smart it was.

His audience knew what he was saying, and thought it was hilarious. The Democrat campaign, and the Obamarama blogosphere, probably also know what he was saying, but are frantically denying it. Everybody who actually watches the clip knows what he was getting at, but his campaign and the Obama bloggers are busily trying to explain otherwise. Why? Because they understand that the optics of calling a woman a "pig" is pretty bad.

At least a couple of polls (NBC/WSJ and ABC/WaPo) are suggesting a big shift in support among women voters, or at least white women:

"Before the Democratic National Convention in late August, Mr Obama held an eight point lead among white women voters, 50 per cent to 42 per cent, but after the Republican convention in early September, Mr McCain was ahead by 12 points among white women, 53 per cent to 41 per cent, the poll found." http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/...0919678213.html

"In last month's NBC/WSJ poll, Obama was leading McCain by 14 points among female voters; now that lead is just four points. Moreover, Obama was up by 20 points in August among women ages 18-49; now McCain is ahead by three points. And last month, Obama held a one-point lead among white women; now McCain is up among them by 10 points."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/200...10/1371831.aspx

...and I don't think calling her a pig is the kind of comment that'll win them back.

To further illustrate the problem, also consider this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/200...palin-make.html

Palin hands the Democrats a *legitimate* issue that they can press her on... and it's practically buried, because it's completely overshadowed by Obama's quip.

-k

Guest American Woman
His audience knew what he was saying, and thought it was hilarious. The Democrat campaign, and the Obamarama blogosphere, probably also know what he was saying, but are frantically denying it. Everybody who actually watches the clip knows what he was getting at, but his campaign and the Obama bloggers are busily trying to explain otherwise. Why? Because they understand that the optics of calling a woman a "pig" is pretty bad.

Or perhaps it's because he didn't say what he's being accused of saying. Ever think of that? Thought not.

Anyway, I think it's hilarious because his audience can take it anyway they want, regardless of how he intended it. Guess everyone isn't in love with Palin, eh? Life's rough. Wear a helmet.

Looking back...........

"I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig." – John McCain, in reference to Hillary Clinton's health care plan, last year.

Clearly McCain was calling Hillary a pig. And I'm sure you were outraged at the time! And still are! You just don't feel the need to express your outrage.

"George Bush has given a mission to General Petraeus, and he has done his best to try to figure out how to put lipstick on a pig." – Barack Obama, last year.

Clearly that was Obama seeing into the future, referring to Palin as a pig.

"Or as we say out in our home state of Wyoming, you can put all the lipstick you want on a pig, but it's still a pig." – Dick Cheney, 2004.

Not sure who Cheney was calling a pig with that one. Perhaps you could help me out.

"It's all about withdrawal or not withdrawal, okay? I mean that's what it's all about. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig." – John McCain, last year.

That time he was clearly calling Hillary a pig.

"You can put lipstick and earrings on a hog and call it Monique, but it's still a pig." – Texas Gov. Ann Richards.

Uh oh. That was calling everyone named Monique a pig. Time for you to express outrage on behalf of all Moniques!

"John Kerry tries to put a bunch of fancy, fancy talk...but there is nothing you can do to really -- to really obscure that record. You can try, though. And in Wyoming, we've got a saying for what it is when you keep trying to make something that's not so good look good, we call it putting lipstick on a pig." – Lynne Cheney, 2004.

Clearly she's calling Kerry a pig. But he's a man, so that's ok. Especially since it was a woman using the phrase. That makes it double ok, right?

"It gets down to whether you support what's being done in this new strategy or you don't. You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig in my view." – John McCain, last year.

Again, not quite sure who McCain is calling a pig there. I'm guessing it was Hillary.

:rolleyes:

Or perhaps it's because he didn't say what he's being accused of saying. Ever think of that? Thought not.

:lol:

So yesterday, it was your favorite quote of the campaign so far because it showed he was not afraid to fire some zingers at Palin, "not cowed by the Palin is a victim crowd", as you put it.

And today, you're trying to argue that he was just using a common metaphor, that it wasn't actually a zinger at all, that any resemblance to Palin is purely in the mind of the listener.

So, is it still your favorite quote of the campaign so far? Or have you decided that using a common metaphor wasn't actually courageous and witty of him after all?

The thing is, regardless how hard you, or Obama bloggers, or the Democrat campaign try to shape the perception of the comment, people will form their own opinions. They'll either think it was a deliberate crack at Palin, or they won't. They'll either decide it was a big deal, a minor deal, or nothing at all. Maybe they'll think it reflected poorly on him, or maybe they'll think it was just some harmless fun. Every listener is different, and their feelings will probably depend a lot on how they already felt about Obama and/or Palin.

My opinion, and it is just my opinion, which I emphasize is mine and mine alone and not representative of any opinions other than those held by me:

-he knew people would connect the dots to Palin

-it was pretty funny

-it wasn't sexist

-it was a personal crack but hardly one worth getting agitated over.

-it wasn't a big deal.

-it wasn't a smart move politically because it takes attention away from issues that actually help them

-it wasn't a smart move because he's been having trouble with women voters over the past week, and giving people reason to talk about whether he actually just called Palin a pig can't help.

And to emphasize, I don't think it was a big deal. But at a time when polls indicate he's already having a hard time hanging onto women voters, it was just a bad idea to give people reason to talk about this.

-k

Edited by kimmy

I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think it was aimed at Palin. As American Woman pointed out Lynne Cheney has used the expression before, and I think Barack has as well (before Palin came on the scene). And even if by some chance he did mean it, who cares? Sticks and stones. It would hurt him more anyway.

Edited by jefferiah

Guest American Woman
:lol:

So yesterday, it was your favorite quote of the campaign so far because it showed he was not afraid to fire some zingers at Palin, "not cowed by the Palin is a victim crowd", as you put it.

omg. I was having fun with it. :P It cracked me up to see the reaction.

And today, you're trying to argue that he was just using a common metaphor, that it wasn't actually a zinger at all, that any resemblance to Palin is purely in the mind of the listener.

It was so obvious that it wasn't intended as a zinger, yet the crowd loved it, so that made me love it because of the reaction. They snickered, I'm sure, thinking of the whole pit bull thing. As Black Dog pointed out, it's ok for her to call herself a dog that attacks little children, but no one else better even think in terms of calling her to a pig with lipstick. If anything, the crowd was snickering at her reference, because this was a pretty good phrase to use in light of it. That doesn't mean he was calling HER a pig with lipstick, he was calling hers and McCain's policies a pig with lipstick.

So, is it still your favorite quote of the campaign so far? Or have you decided that using a common metaphor wasn't actually courageous and witty of him after all?

Absolutely. It has the "Palin is a Victim" crowd worked up into a lather, which is pretty fun to watch. I do think it was aimed at McCain and Palin, (McCain is the POTUS candidate, not Palin), so yes, I think it was funny. I liked the whole quote, btw. Notice I provided the whole quote, not just the "pig in lipstick." ;)

The thing is, regardless how hard you, or Obama bloggers, or the Democrat campaign try to shape the perception of the comment, people will form their own opinions. They'll either think it was a deliberate crack at Palin, or they won't.

Exactly. Facts mean nothing to y'all. You just admitted that, and I knew that from the moment I read your post.

They'll either decide it was a big deal, a minor deal, or nothing at all.

And of course it's a big deal, cuz you loooooove her.

Maybe they'll think it reflected poorly on him, or maybe they'll think it was just some harmless fun. Every listener is different, and their feelings will probably depend a lot on how they already felt about Obama and/or Palin.

Not everyone. There are some critical thinkers out there. Some people will realize it's a phrase, a phrase used by other politicians, and understand that in spite of the dishonestly of the McCain campaign (McCain used the phrase himself) and all the 'boo hoo, you criticized Palin crowd, he wasn't calling Palin a pig and it's the McCain supporters and campaign that need to get a grip. Not to mention some honesty.

My opinion, and it is just my opinion, which I emphasize is mine and mine alone and not representative of any opinions other than those held by me:

-he knew people would connect the dots to Palin

-it was pretty funny

-it wasn't sexist

-it was a personal crack but hardly one worth getting agitated over.

-it wasn't a big deal.

-it wasn't a smart move politically because it takes attention away from issues that actually help them

-it wasn't a smart move because he's been having trouble with women voters over the past week, and giving people reason to talk about whether he actually just called Palin a pig can't help.

And to emphasize, I don't think it was a big deal. But at a time when polls indicate he's already having a hard time hanging onto women voters, it was just a bad idea to give people reason to talk about this.

-k

Of course that's your opinion. And of course you didn't think it was a big deal. <_< That's why you posted about it, saying Obama called Palin a pig, saying he's not "as clever as he thinks he is." You criticize him without hesitation, yet you don't support Palin's views, as you go into overdrive criticizing anyone who dares speak against her.

omg. I was having fun with it. :P It cracked me up to see the reaction.

It was so obvious that it wasn't intended as a zinger, yet the crowd loved it, so that made me love it because of the reaction. They snickered, I'm sure, thinking of the whole pit bull thing. As Black Dog pointed out, it's ok for her to call herself a dog that attacks little children, but no one else better even think in terms of calling her to a pig with lipstick. If anything, the crowd was snickering at her reference, because this was a pretty good phrase to use in light of it. That doesn't mean he was calling HER a pig with lipstick, he was calling hers and McCain's policies a pig with lipstick.

Yeah, sure.

The part I like is how Tuesday it was your favorite quote and a clever zinger and shows how he is not afraid of the "Palin is a victim" crowd, but by Wednesday it was something completely different.

It was only "courageous" up until he got into hot water for it... then he wasn't actually standing up to anybody, he was being misrepresented and smeared. :lol:

I also have to point out the irony in the Obama crowd complaining that their opponents are playing the victim card.

Exactly. Facts mean nothing to y'all. You just admitted that, and I knew that from the moment I read your post.

<_<

The only *fact* is the words he used. The *interpretation* of the words he used is highly subjective. The best proof of that is the way you and the audience reacted Tuesday night.

"Zing! Yessss!! Hahaha, extreme burnage! He is not cowed by the Palin-as-victim crowd! rah-rah! w-w-w-wait, he was obviously just referencing a common metaphor! Trying to make it about Palin is obviously totally distorting what he said! I CALL DO-OVER!!! DO-OVER!!!"

Of course that's your opinion. And of course you didn't think it was a big deal. <_< That's why you posted about it, saying Obama called Palin a pig, saying he's not "as clever as he thinks he is." You criticize him without hesitation, yet you don't support Palin's views, as you go into overdrive criticizing anyone who dares speak against her.

I provided my interpretation (which incidently is the same as the reaction of the Democrat supporters in the crowd, and was also the same as your *first* interpretation, which you posted Tuesday night before you'd received the party line on his comments.) I provided my analysis, which is that it wasn't smart (and the mere fact that this controversy exists demonstrates why it wasn't smart.) I provided the clip of Obama's comments so that people could decide for themselves.

I don't think I've criticized him without hesitation, I don't think I'm "in overdrive", and when I've taken issue with people criticizing Palin it has been for specific issues or comments, not some kind of generalized victim reaction. If you feel otherwise, you have a right to your opinion. My opinion is that your attempt to paint me as such makes you look like the kind of person who just doesn't actually read very well and is only capable of viewing things in a simplistic "You're either with us or against us ™ " mentality.

-k

Wow. I looooove this little exchange about lipstick on a pig for two main reasons:

1. It's pleasingly hilarious to watch democrats squirm when they aren't playing the victim card and instead someone is playing it on them. So used to being "The Victim" (ie. I take serious offense to (insert politically correct drivel here)), their world is turned upside down when the shoe is on the other foot, or the lipstick is on the other pig.

2. It's exposing Obama for the opportunist politician he has, for months, claimed not to be. Have you seen this change in him? In the face of McCain's resurgence on the backs of Palin, his recent appearances are closely resembling a weasly kid who just had his fruit loops taken away. Whiney, smarmy and downright even...mean (heaven forbid the messiah is...human?)

Beating the Dems at the victim game and watching the curtain draw back as "The Messiah" become extremely ordinary before our eyes...love it love it love it.

....Beating the Dems at the victim game and watching the curtain draw back as "The Messiah" become extremely ordinary before our eyes...love it love it love it.

The Democrats are doing what they do best....fold under the pressure of a general campaign. For them, it is like herding cats just to get through the primary season, so they are not ready for the main event. Senior wonks are beginning to have their doubts about Obama....it seems that a unkown "female" governor from Alaska has thrown his campaign for a loop, stealing news cycle bandwidth and keeping Obamites on defense. Women are now inquiring about where to get Sara Palin's designer glasses.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13357.html

Lipstick!

Outside, queues which began six hours earlier snaked around the sports hall as more than 9,000 people filed in. Hundreds would be left outside.

They held home-made signs with slogans like "God, guns, lipstick" and "Read my lipstick - Palin."

Link

This reminds me of the Yvettes in the 1980 referendum.

Looks like a good place to park this:

The Republican convention was the most-watched convention on television ever, beating a standard set by the Democrats a week earlier.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

From the same article.

Television ratings throughout the primary season had already indicated an intense interest in the election, but viewers clearly were more fascinated in the Democratic contest between Obama and Hillary Clinton than the Republican nomination fight.

and then ....

Add it up, and that's McCain, 42.4 million, to Obama, 42.4 million.