The Problem With Christmas

Canapathy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TrueMetis

You're leaving out quite a lot. Have you read about native religious rituals and customs? Craaaaazzzyyy! :lol:

There's even magic involved! :)

All religions involve magic, the christian god spoke the universe into existence that's an incantation.

We use the Canadian definition:

4pus·sy noun \ˈpu̇-sē\ plural pus·sies

Definition of PUSSY slang

: a weak or cowardly man or boy : wimp, sissy

Yup that's it! Mr. Internet tough guy...right...

Doesn't bother me in the least, cause I ain't Canadian. Your sexist insults are obsolete and ineffective. Try again.

It is fascinating that you and other like minded miscreants retreat to the identical sexual insecurities when trying to deal with a single pesky American.

Yes I know. Intelligence isn't you strong suit and definitive clarification just goes over your head.

I haven't multi-quoted all of your respective childish insults. But you get the idea.

And your entering into it is quite priceless. Do you really have a compulsive need to show us up?

The thread is about the over-commercialization of Christmas. It's downright depressing to have to wade through pages of insults to get to substantive posts.

The thread is about the over-commercialization of Christmas. It's downright depressing to have to wade through pages of insults to get to substantive posts.

I'm with you, people that don't have anything to say seem to have some kind of defense mechanism.

My wife and I are really downgrading the gift giving part of Christmas. Both our families did the same this year. I was at my in-laws for Christmas and the gifts that were exchanged (limit $30) for the most part did not impress. Then you have one person hurt that the gift she gave wasn't appreciated by another and so on. We are, all pretty much upper middle class income wise and no one really needs anything. My mother-in-law, who doesn't observe the spending limit, probably spends close to $100 on each (8 including grandkids) and she's retired and shouldn't be doing that!

Anyway, I think we are going to start doing a Christmas trip instead of gift giving, spending time with family is what makes the season special, not whether they gave you something good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a problem with Christmas, we are consumers throughout the year, just buying more before Christmas.

I too am tired of our shallow consumerism driven lifestyle and have been slowly starting to enjoy Christmas for more tradional reasons as I grow older and have become a parent, enjoying the company of loved ones and helping the needy (more donations are made before Christmass than any other time of year). It's your choice what to do at Christmas time.

• 10 months later...

More on this subject (link):

If you think it's ever OK just to make the minimum payment then yes it's a personal problem.

I'll even forgive times where you lose your job. But that can't be a majority of the people with credit problem, at some point it's gotta be a lack of proper money management skills.

I was a Jehovahs Witness for my first 18 years... havent been one for the last 8 and ive yet to celebrate christmas or my bday

i like it like this cause im not expected to celebrate them or buy people shit :)

which means i dont get anything either but im okay with that

when i meet my wife and have a family ill start celebrating then

I was a Jehovahs Witness for my first 18 years... havent been one for the last 8 and ive yet to celebrate christmas or my bday

i like it like this cause im not expected to celebrate them or buy people shit :)

which means i dont get anything either but im okay with that

when i meet my wife and have a family ill start celebrating then

Do you celebrate anything? And, if so, why?

I dated a girl who was a JW . Practicing too......'cept she had some ....er....run ins w the church due to her activities.

I loved the no birthday and christmas gift thingy ! For one,I never remember birthdates and two I have to buy gifts for far too many poeple anyhow.

I reminded her that I was NOT a JW and she could splurge if she saw fit. :lol:

I dated a girl who was a JW . Practicing too......'cept she had some ....er....run ins w the church due to her activities.

I loved the no birthday and christmas gift thingy ! For one,I never remember birthdates and two I have to buy gifts for far too many poeple anyhow.

I reminded her that I was NOT a JW and she could splurge if she saw fit. :lol:

yes, the elders act like dictators, they are the law, if there is a rumour going around about you they will bring you into a room, close the door, and you could be in there for an hour before they are through spiritually interrogating you

Before I got out "faded" I was caught by another brother on the internet looking up jehovahs witnesses on google and the false prophecies...he ratted on me, the grilling was intense cause they had their talking points memorized when I started talking about the false prophecies .. no matter what I said they never gave up on the talking points...so you can see why political talking points drives me insanely mad

After that I repented (its just easier that way) and started to fade away from the congregation ...but these people just do not give up...they'd keep hounding me every once in a while by visiting..seeing what I was doing

A few years after this I caught one of them spying on me at a walmart..it couldn't have been more obvious

Few more years went by being harassed by them so I just gave up and sent them a letter declaring myself an apostate..it was very hard because I knew these people my whole life and half of my family are JWs so now these people I've known since forever have shunned me

An aunt of mine has even told me she wished I would die soon so I would be resurrected before armageddon

that was the last thing she said to me!

The mental anguish from this cult should make it illegal

I hope that girl you dated escaped unscathed

yes, the elders act like dictators, they are the law, if there is a rumour going around about you they will bring you into a room, close the door, and you could be in there for an hour before they are through spiritually interrogating you

Yikes, that sucks!

I hope that girl you dated escaped unscathed

I think so, no bruises where the fur lined cuffs were and no marks.......oh, you meant from the Church?

Well....she was black listed or whatever you call it. She had a little confusion when it came to deciding which sex she preferred. I told her she didnt have to decide anytime soon.(for obvious reasons) :P

Yikes, that sucks!

I think so, no bruises where the fur lined cuffs were and no marks.......oh, you meant from the Church?

Well....she was black listed or whatever you call it. She had a little confusion when it came to deciding which sex she preferred. I told her she didnt have to decide anytime soon.(for obvious reasons) :P

Black listed aka Disfellowshipped

its pretty ridiculous