Conservative attack ads

Attack ads played part in Harper's vilification

MARIA MCCLINTOCK, Free Press Parliamentary Bureau 2004-06-29 03:20:32

CALGARY -- Conservative Leader Stephen Harper's hopes for a minority government slipped through his fingers last night -- evidence he failed to capitalize on the $250-million sponsorship scandal and convince voters it was time to dump the Liberals. As he heads back to Ottawa today to return to his old job as Opposition Leader, the election result was also an indication Canadians weren't ready to put their faith in the newly merged Conservative Party, and that the Liberal attack ads that painted Harper as pro-war and anti-choice had succeeded.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePr.../29/518341.html

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a campaign that appears to reflect Martin's mounting desperation, Liberal Party attack ads have accused Conservative challenger Stephen Harper, 45, of maintaining a "secret agenda" to make Canada more politically similar to the United States. That is among the ugliest charges that can be hurled in a country proud of its national health care system, generous social welfare programs, stringent gun controls, and other policies that distinguish it from the superpower next door.

"Let me tell you," Martin told reporters recently in an unusually blunt drawing of lines between Liberal and Conservative visions for this nation of 31.7 million. "You can have a country like Canada; you can have a country like the United States. That's a choice you can make."

http://www.boston.com/news/world/canada/ar...ing_run_at_top/

Harper: Attack ad will backfire

BUT GRITS SAY SHOCK SPOT SHOWS TORIES' TRUE COLOURS

By KATHLEEN HARRIS, OTTAWA BUREAU, SUN MEDIA

A new Liberal attack ad smacks of desperation and will doom a campaign already suffering a midway meltdown, political foes predict.

The shock ad, which features pregnant young women rocking in distress, machine-gun toting soldiers and smokestacks spewing pollution, aim to depict Conservative Leader Stephen Harper as a right-wing zealot with radical plans to change Canada. The sombre segment ends with a national flag dissolving before a blue backdrop.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/Canad.../11/495322.html

There were few if any important issues when the election was called, nonetheless the Liberals frequently alleged that Day had a hidden agenda, identifying Day with the Christian right (he is a devout Pentecostal), and drawing attention to his past comments about homosexuality and abortion.

Liberal activist Warren Kinsella mocked Day's belief in Young Earth creationism by pulling out a Barney doll during a television interview and stating that "this was the only dinosaur ever to be on Earth with humans". Media covering the Day campaign bus, nicknamed "Prayer Force One", whistled the Flintstones theme song to mock the idea that humans and dinosaurs co-existed. [4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockwell_Day

OK, I'd prefer it all to be in one post, the quantity isn't replacement of quality (or even sense).

#1 Stockwell Day:

Certainly "his past comments" on important issues are very important to understanding individual, so I'm not getting how it's gotten anything to do with personal attack ads a la "he's a monster alien"?

Personal beliefs of somebody is a more sensitive issues, I see how it can be overblown, yet, given the importance of the office, some questions should certainly be asked. Mockery of pure personal beliefs (Barney) crosses the line in my mind, but strong personal beliefs, especially those of near orthodox flavour, as with Mr Day's should be brought out to public attention and discussed. Just so that we know how our would be leader would react to voices from above.

#2 Army in the City (US style ads)

This was certainly stupid, misleading, and lame, but still by far does not equate to the personal attacks we're seeing from Harper.

#3 Hammer Ads

I haven't seen those, and they are in poor taste, but they highlight the issue (proximity of Harper's mentality to Bushes conqests) and not really the same as Harpers purely personal attacks on Dion and Ignatieff.

I couldn't see the youtube ad at this time to comment.

Anyways, its clear that Harpers people have broken a completely new grond here, from questionnable and misleading polemics around issues, to purely 100% personal denigration. As I said previously, this is the rock bottom (in the downward direction started by Liberals in the previous campaigns, as I can concede), it's stupid and disgusting, and nothing from the other guys should justify it, and I hope that most Canadians would take them as a measure of maturity and intelligence of those who ordered and created them, instead of intended impact on their target.

Anyways, its clear that Harpers people have broken a completely new grond here, from questionnable and misleading polemics around issues, to purely 100% personal denigration. As I said previously, this is the rock bottom (in the downward direction started by Liberals in the previous campaigns, as I can concede), it's stupid and disgusting, and nothing from the other guys should justify it, and I hope that most Canadians would take them as a measure of maturity and intelligence of those who ordered and created them, instead of intended impact on their target.

I would suggest that no the conservatives have not broken new ground here liberals had done in the past in fact in the 2004 campaign there is an example.

Attack ads won't work for Liberals, says expert

Updated Fri. May. 21 2004 10:35 AM ET

Sandra Dimitrakopoulos, CTV.ca News Staff

The attack ad has been used to demonize and destroy political campaigns, and their leaders. But while the strategy has helped the Liberal Party in the past, at least one political expert warns it won't work again.

---

The TV spots direct viewers to an accompanying website, www.StephenHarperSaid.ca where the complete quote and context is posted

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...&no_ads=box

I would suggest that no the conservatives have not broken new ground here liberals had done in the past in fact in the 2004 campaign there is an example.

You must be having trouble reading your own link. I'll help:

"The five spots unveiled in mid-May are based on previous comments made by Harper on issues from immigration and Atlantic Canada to Canada's participation in the Iraq war. "

As you see, I'm always willing to admit the fact, as well as arguments supported by logic, but there has to be either.

They sure as hell were vile attacks. Perpetuated by the media for the liberals.

The media wasn't perpetuating anything on behalf of the Liberals. They do things because they are the media.

I wonder what you would have thought had the media played the three stooges theme as the liberal campign rolled downt he highway for Ignatief Rae and Dion?

Actually, the media did. On talk radio, they routinely played clips from the Stooges.

You must be having trouble reading your own link. I'll help:

"The five spots unveiled in mid-May are based on previous comments made by Harper on issues from immigration and Atlantic Canada to Canada's participation in the Iraq war. "

As you see, I'm always willing to admit the fact, as well as arguments supported by logic, but there has to be either.

The current round of attack ads from the Conservatives are the words of Ignatieff, done the same as the Liberals did to Harper in 2004 define your opponent before they define you. In fact these personal mud sling tactics go all the way back to the beginnings of our country. If you care to research the first and second elections of our country you will find the same personalized mud slinging that we are seeing to day.

Edited by Alta4ever

The current round of atack ads from the Conservatives are the words of Ignatieff, done the same as the Liberals did to Harper in 2004 define you opponent before they define you.

Your saying so does not make it true, by itself. Everybody can see the difference between overblown, inaccurate, and tasteless polemics on issues, and purely personality ads used by Harper. In the latest roung I saw absolutely nothing about Ignatieff's position on issues, they're based entirely on facts of his personal life. I wonder if Harper's folks really can't find anything of substance, or they just forgot how to do it, because throwing sh.. by megatonne is so much easier?

Your saying so does not make it true, by itself. Everybody can see the difference between overblown, inaccurate, and tasteless polemics on issues, and purely personality ads used by Harper. In the latest roung I saw absolutely nothing about Ignatieff's position on issues, they're based entirely on facts of his personal life. I wonder if Harper's folks really can't find anything of substance, or they just forgot how to do it, because throwing sh.. by megatonne is so much easier?

Does he have any? I haven't seen a liberal platform have you? The few things he does come up with he back peddles on within days.

That fact is this is no different then what liberals have done past, for that matter no different then what all political parties have done in the past. This is politics, and its a dirty dirty game, and what is amazing about it is how fast the public forgets how it is played and thinks all the old tricks are new again.

The conservatives seem to be playing by the liberal rule book when it comes to attack ads and doing to them what was in the past done to the conservatives.

Edited by Alta4ever

Does he have any? I haven't seen a liberal platform have you? The few things he does come up with he back peddles on within days.

as per norm, a Liberal platform will be there at election time... unlike the last go-around where the Harper Conservatives had to be cajoled into finally bringing forward a platform in the midst of the election... and after the leadership debate. Yes - the "missing Conservative" platform... will there be a repeat of same?

That would be a valid point for a discussion, but perhaps, Harpers' folks didn't notice. Throwing mud is a lot easier than disputing, and could it be that Harper's being caucious about entering into intelligent polemics in this particular case? We'll see come public debates.

That fact is this is no different then what liberals have done past, for that matter no different then what all political parties have done in the past.

Well yes, we don't really have any facts or arguments to substantiate that, so we'll just keep repeating it ad infinitum and it'll somehow become true.

Well yes, we don't really have any facts or arguments to substantiate that, so we'll just keep repeating it ad infinitum and it'll somehow become true.

I guess you have ignored all the news articals posted.

Conservatives fire back over Liberal attack ads

Updated Wed. Jan. 11 2006 11:02 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The Conservatives are reacting with fiery outrage to a series of tough Liberal ads that vilify Stephen Harper, characterizing them as "unprecedented and outrageous attack ads."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...006&no_ads=

Liberals attack Tom Flanigan

... because of his position on certain issues (from your source, courtesy Alta4ever):

"In 2002, Flanagan wrote a controversial book called “First Nations? Second Thoughts” espousing the idea that Aboriginal people were merely immigrants and the best thing for all involved would be assimilating them into mainstream culture."

You know what, I can't be wasting much more of my time reading your own sources for you folks, but of course, you're free to continue. Just don't forget to read it before posting.

Here is someone's taking on Gandhi being a "visitor."

http://davidakin.blogware.com/blog/_archiv...21/4193947.html

Was he British, South African or the inconvenient Indian?

Are the Liberals comparing Ingnatief to Gandhi now?

What? Does Ignatieff sleep with his nieces to prove his self control?

Are the Liberals comparing Ingnatief to Gandhi now?

What? Does Ignatieff sleep with his nieces to prove his self control?

Gandi said that it is a small man who belittles others in order to axault himself...It may seem that the Harper boys belittle Ignatieff...It depends who's in power - Ignatieff on the other hand does not need an attack add - he just looks at all of humanity - and that look is enough to show his distain and disrespect of humanity _ Iggy is just one big huge walking attack add. :lol: