Conservative attack ads

The mock outrage and/or flip dismissals are a thin veil to try to disguise their horror at knowing that they've seen this movie before, and they know how it ends: with them having even less seats than they have now.

So you think this is going to result in a majority?

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think this is going to result in a majority?

It doesn't have to. Another defeat for the Liberals, another change in leadership, more money drained, back into debt, more left leaners less inclined to participate with votes or donations. It's all good.

Rinse and repeat with Bob Rae.

Edited by Bryan

Name 3 things that Harper has done that he has the backing of 60% of Canadians?? He's done the the 3-S's...screwed -up the economy BEFORE the downturn, screwed the seniors with a lie and screwed the media with his secret government,and all the scandals and scams they pulled off.....its so hard to stop when there's so many!!!!!

The Lib party of today, are mostly are all new members and can't held for what the Libs from Quebec did, but they have to live with it, as the Conservatives have to live with what the Mulroney era gave us. When you listen to the two parties in question period, you can see and hear that the present Libs are more mature in as a member of the Fed government. For that matter, all 3 opposition parties are. The Tories have to go in the next election, by Harper's words, he's taking us closer to the 100Bil debt and what are we getting for it? The minister of Environment said yesterday, he wants to harmonize our environment with the US, just like they have done with the military, what's next? We need to do what is good for Canada and NOT what is best for the US and the oil companies! Keep harmonizing with the US and we will have the NAU done right under our noses and we wouldn't even see it coming. Well, some will.

Liberals are supposed to LIBERATE...I don't see evidence of liberation of the people by these people - Ruby does not grant liberation - and I don't see Ignateiff granting freedom to the common non-intellectual - and the liberal political correctness is the ultimate in Orwellian oppression - Liberals are supposed to liberate the oppressed - and conservatives are to conserve what is tried and true by time - what is valuale - I see neither party living up to it's own name sake.

Another defeat for the Liberals, another change in leadership,

There's no reason to think that even with another defeat that there will be another change in leadership. The Liberals have almost nowhere to go but up, and as long as they go up, they will keep their leader.

Great - so as they go up and appease those that are young who they programed since public school...the end results will be liberal utlitarianism..and guys like me will have to stay mum as dogs are issued a licence to marry a cat - and woman are slowly turned into asexual tripes that think abortion is like the removal of a sliver from ones finger..... what about some of the great conservative values that have served mankind for centuries - values that gave liberalism it's original base - are we to toss them out the window in favour of "feeling good" as our children have sex at the age of 10 with governmental approval and by the time they are 14 they get to shoot each other like some sort of bio video game...? :rolleyes:

Fox News should be taken as "seriously" as any other.....unless it doesn't meet your agenda.

Smart people also watch Fox News....around the world. They also understand the purpose and context of political advertising.

Fox Network sucks. Period. But Harper doesn't think so.... He'd rather be an American.

IMV, it makes sense to show these ads now since they will help to define Ignatieff who is still an unknown quantity to most voters.

Which ignorant, uninformed voters are you referring to? Fellow Conservatives? Are you capable of making multiple sentence definitions without boring each other?

Edited by Radsickle

When you're on offense, your opponent is on defense. I'm sorry you're so bent out of shape by it, but it's good and smart politics. And if it wasn't effective, you wouldn't be complaining about it, and the Liberals, wouldn't be complaining about it. The Liberals are still lost in the political wilderness, and Harper's taking advantage of it. In politics, defining your opponent is paramount. Always has, always will.

It's not World Wide Wrestling. Grow up.

Edited by Radsickle

These kinds of negative ads are the reason I sometimes feel like not voting for anyone. If the Liberals resort to the same pettiness I'll vote Green.

Should vote Green anyway. If it wasn't Iggy, I'd be voting Green too. Dion should offer his seat to the Green party. I highly doubt Iggy will be as petty as Harper and Flaherty.

Edited by Radsickle

It doesn't have to. Another defeat for the Liberals, another change in leadership, more money drained, back into debt, more left leaners less inclined to participate with votes or donations. It's all good.

Well, let's call an election today and see how this plays. You are just brimming with confidence on this.

It's going to result in this accidental tourist never becoming PM. I don't care about anything else. This man should never be PM. He's an accidental tourist, nothing more.

I think the accidental Albertan will find that the west wonders why they ever supported him.

And Iggy's comeback is with a super lame statement.

"On a day when we've got record bankruptcies, (when) we've got unemployment skyrocketing, all this government can think of doing is running attack ads on me," he said. "This is the old style of politics. We are in the middle of a serious economic crisis. This government needs to grow up and do its job properly."

This coming from a Liberal, "this government needs to grow up", sure.

I wonder if Iggy thought about the past responsible performance of the Liberano's. Think sponsership scandal for a single item.

But Mr. Harper's intelligent reply to Iggy's immediate concerns was accurately expressed.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/fp/T...3917/story.html

Witless, you are such a tool.

These are not even attack ads. They are matter of fact statements and quotations of Ignatieff. If a Liberal supporter thinks these are attacks, it's because they know full well their emperor has no clothes, and they know Canadians are going to see Ignatieff for what he really is. The mock outrage and/or flip dismissals are a thin veil to try to disguise their horror at knowing that they've seen this movie before, and they know how it ends: with them having even less seats than they have now.

Bryan, are you `just visiting' this forum?

The ads are dirty and full of lying spin, except for this one which i think raises legit concerns that i have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVoT-1B3Os

I don't think the Conservatives are running the ads because they are getting ready to call an election (they would be CRAZY to do that, knowing they'd lose seats and possibly their gov't). I think they are just trying to slow the Ignatieff momentum and the Liberals' rise in the polls.

These ads will probably not play well in parts of Canada's sophisticated, expresso drinking three urban centres. But they weren't designed to work in these places.

So, am I surprised that an opinion writer for the Toronto G&M criticizes these attack ads, or even argues that that the ads are misdirected? No.

This article merely reminds me how some opinion writers are out of touch with the rest of the country.

Name 3 things that Harper has done that he has the backing of 60% of Canadians?? He's done the the 3-S's...screwed -up the economy BEFORE the downturn, screwed the seniors with a lie and screwed the media with his secret government,and all the scandals and scams they pulled off.....its so hard to stop when there's so many!!!!!
Name anything that any Canadian PM has done with 60% of popular support.

Diefenbaker and Mulroney were the only PMs to win over 50% of the vote. (Even Laurier never achieved that.)

To win a majority, Harper or Ignatieff needs about 40% of the vote. I think that Harper is betting that his strategy will guarantee between 30-35% of the vote. The rest has a chance of coming if he is perceived as a winner. Keep in mind that Harper has now seen off two different Liberal leaders.

-----

For what it's worth, here's my partisan take on the Liberals. They need time out to situate their party. Dreaming of another Trudeau, they chose Ignatieff solely because they think that he will put them back into power. This basic fraud will not work. Ignatieff is no Trudeau.

These ads merely suggest some of Ignatieff's many weaknesses.

I am actually more confidant than I was prior to the last election. I'm really looking forward to it.

Where will he win more seats? One more in Alberta? One more in Saskatchewan? Major breakthrough in Ontario or Quebec?

This article merely reminds me how some opinion writers are out of touch with the rest of the country.

And you are intimately knowledgeable about how this plays in the country? You think this is going to get Harper his majority support so that he will call an election in the next month?

Where will he win more seats? One more in Alberta? One more in Saskatchewan? Major breakthrough in Ontario or Quebec?

No big breakthroughs. It's not like that. Slow steady increases. There were a number of very close 1-2% difference second place finishes for CPC last time around. Don't forget that the new conservative movement has never failed to add to it's seat count in every single election. Big booms make for big busts. Slow increases make for a solid base you can count on. A majority is not necessary, we can afford to go to the polls every month if need be.

Brampton—Springdale, Vancouver South, Cumberland—Colchester, and Edmonton—Strathcona are certainly ripe for the taking.