The Conservative Spending Spree

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Canada's New Government, as it likes to call itself, is doing what every other government has traditionally done when it finds itself getting beat up politically: It's spending money.

Though Parliament has been in summer recess for just 13 days, the federal government has issued 78 press releases in which it announced, re-announced, or took credit for more than $5-billion in spending.

Some of the spending plans are normal government business. But 78 new releases?

Yeesh. Talk about cynical politics. This is what Harper used to complain about with the Liberals.

It certainly won't help him if he doesn't have an actual legislative agenda come the fall. Spending money isn't the same thing as actually controlling the agenda.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories
Canada's New Government, as it likes to call itself, is doing what every other government has traditionally done when it finds itself getting beat up politically: It's spending money.

Though Parliament has been in summer recess for just 13 days, the federal government has issued 78 press releases in which it announced, re-announced, or took credit for more than $5-billion in spending.

Some of the spending plans are normal government business. But 78 new releases?

Yeesh. Talk about cynical politics. This is what Harper used to complain about with the Liberals.

It certainly won't help him if he doesn't have an actual legislative agenda come the fall. Spending money isn't the same thing as actually controlling the agenda.

In life you learn to work with the system then against it. This goes for all aspects of life.

In Canada, if there are terrorist attacks in Egypt that kills Canadians, Harpers ratigns will go down despite him or Canada having nothing to do with the situation. Canadians are morons and uneducated politically. This is the result of not voting on propositions.

Only 4% of Canadians can name all the political parties sitting in the house of commons.

Yet most of these dummies want to say whether harper is doing a good job or not.

Canadians have been conditioned to be told what to think and to obey our elites. It's actually not their fault, we just run a corrupt, authoritarian gov't that tell everyone to shut their mouths and do as their told. We do not have gov't the represent the people, we have gov't that play political football with important issues so they can gain votes.

Now we have 800,000 people waiting to come to Canada who we have NO JOBS for, no healthcare for, and no schools for. All in sake of political pandering for votes.

Well guess what Dion and Harper, I have to LIVE AND WORK with these stoneage cultures. YOU DONT.

SO F OFF AND GO BACK TO FRANCE!

"Fewer than four in 10 Canadians can name the four political parties in the House of Commons. Immigrants do better." (link)

That must not be right. According to mike, they are mostly uneducated, uncivilized hooligans that don't speak English. They get all the jobs though, because of the government. Immigrants can't possibly know anything about Canada or it's politics. Your facts are wrong gc! WRONG! :lol:

I wonder what percentage of Canadians can do simple math:

"Fewer than four in 10 Canadians can name the four political parties in the House of Commons. Immigrants do better." (link)

I reckon MikeDavid is manic-depressive (MD?). He's in his manic phase now and he'll post for awhile. Then, when he goes depressive, we won't hear from him.

Manics are notoriously bad at math, or any precision for that matter.

I wonder what percentage of Canadians can do simple math:

So that means less than 0.4% of Canadians can name the four parties in the House?

Rhinocerous, Progressive Canadians, Natural Law and Marijuana.

See, not so tough.

It is interesting to note that Manitoba which has not been hammering at the door in Ottawa gets this according to the CTV link in the first post on this page:

Manitoba -- unlikely to be very volatile in the next federal election -- saw just 3 announcements where $780,000 of federal money was dished out.

Here's the provincial breakdown for the first 13 days of Parliament's summer:

* Nova Scotia: 4 announcements worth $3.1-billion.

* Saskatchewan: 4 announcements worth $1.51-billion.

* New Brunswick: $221-million.

* B.C.: 9 announcements worth $103.9-million

* Quebec: 12 announcements totalling $46-million.

* Ontario: 2 announcements worth $34-million.

* Alberta: 3 announcements worth $17.27-million

* PEI: 5 announcements worth $7.62-million

* Nfld and Labrador: 15 announcements $6.82-million.

* Manitoba: 3 announcements worth $780,000.

I thought the boys in blue were supposed to be the fiscally responsible choice. Income tax increases, the evaporation of 25B in private savings, in attempt to achieve majority numbers they tabled the most bloated budget in Canadian history and then follow that up with a summer of multi-year big spending promises...WTF?

Our dollar is high and going higher, interest rates are rising, our surplus is gone, the last budget increased spending 2 to 3 times that of inflation and our largest trading partner is just treading water economically. Is this really the time to go on a spending spree?

Think there is any room left for income tax decreases, the capital gains promise or the next 1% drop in GST (not that it makes sense but it was promised)? Methinks not. Anyone else pissed off that the Harper party has made the Liberals look like the only fiscally conservative choice?

I thought the boys in blue were supposed to be the fiscally responsible choice. Income tax increases, the evaporation of 25B in private savings, in attempt to achieve majority numbers they tabled the most bloated budget in Canadian history and then follow that up with a summer of multi-year big spending promises...WTF?

Our dollar is high and going higher, interest rates are rising, our surplus is gone, the last budget increased spending 2 to 3 times that of inflation and our largest trading partner is just treading water economically. Is this really the time to go on a spending spree?

Think there is any room left for income tax decreases, the capital gains promise or the next 1% drop in GST (not that it makes sense but it was promised)? Methinks not. Anyone else pissed off that the Harper party has made the Liberals look like the only fiscally conservative choice?

Ahhh let me count the objections to this post.

1. Debateably one income tax increase. Definitely no more than one.

2. Evaporation of 25B in private savings? wtf? Has this got to do with the IT decision? Guess you should mention how the 25B has been regained.

3. What is wrong with a high dollar? Canadian manufacturers are coping. It means our exports and services are more valuable on the world stage.

4. Surplus gone? The 2006-2007 surplus was the biggest in Canadian history.

5. Are you upset the 1% GST will be coming?

6. The Harper party? So disrespectful. So wrong.

Edited by Michael Bluth

6. The Harper party? So disrespectful. So wrong.

How is it wrong or disrespectful?

Wrong? It's legally the Conservative Party of Canada. Commonly known as the Conservatives or the Tory's.

Disrespectful? Ignores the 124 other MPs who make up the party, never mind the volunteers, as well as the Prime Minister's title.

dobbin I'd like to thank you for acknowledging that you read my posts and for not falsely accusing me of improper behaviour on the boards anymore. Feel free to reply to my posts when the mood strikes you, as I will yours.

Wrong? It's legally the Conservative Party of Canada. Commonly known as the Conservatives or the Tory's.

Disrespectful? Ignores the 124 other MPs who make up the party, never mind the volunteers, as well as the Prime Minister's title.

dobbin I'd like to thank you for acknowledging that you read my posts and for not falsely accusing me of improper behaviour on the boards anymore. Feel free to reply to my posts when the mood strikes you, as I will yours.

We have a moderator who can spend more time patrolling the boards for behaviour that is inflammatory.

What the legal name is and how they are going to campaign are two different things. In two elections, the Liberals campaigned with Martin's Team in bold lettering. The Liberal logo appeared but in many signs and flyers, there was no mention of the Liberals.

I have received recent literature for Conservative fundraising that had Harper's Team in bold and in the spring, some of the pundits were saying that the Tories were going to be sold as Harper's party.

It wasn't disrespectful or wrong. The Tories themselves were using it as a marketing strategy.

I have received recent literature for Conservative fundraising that had Harper's Team in bold and in the spring, some of the pundits were saying that the Tories were going to be sold as Harper's party.

It wasn't disrespectful or wrong. The Tories themselves were using it as a marketing strategy.

What the pundits were saying doesn't necessarily mean that was the Tories using it as a marketing strategy.

Are you honestly trying to say that you didn't get the impression that Canapathy used the term the "Harper Party" pejoratively? And you don't see the difference between that and Harper's Team?

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose we can add the patrol boats for the north and the Cree settlement as among the over 100 spending promises that Tories have made since the end of June.

As soon as Harper gets back, we'll see another month of spending announcements.

I suppose we can add the patrol boats for the north and the Cree settlement as among the over 100 spending promises that Tories have made since the end of June.

Yes, it's good to attack the Government for spending money on the Cree settlement. :rolleyes:

The best Minister in the cabinet has been handling one of the toughest portfolios very well. Under lesser hands the National Day of Action could have turned into something very ugly.

Alas, dobbin denigrates his work by calling it part of a spending spree. Truly disgusting partisanship.

Yes, it's good to attack the Government for spending money on the Cree settlement. :rolleyes:

The best Minister in the cabinet has been handling one of the toughest portfolios very well. Under lesser hands the National Day of Action could have turned into something very ugly.

Alas, dobbin denigrates his work by calling it part of a spending spree. Truly disgusting partisanship.

Actually, the Cree credit Chretien for the deal but whatever.

And yes, it is part of the 100 spending announcements made all summer.

When the Liberals made these endless announcements, the Tories used to howl. Truly disgusting partisanship. Oh wait, unless it is them making the announcements.

When the Liberals made these endless announcements, the Tories used to howl. Truly disgusting partisanship. Oh wait, unless it is them making the announcements.

So it's ok to support the money given to the Cree because they credit Chretien for it 3 1/2 years after he left the PMO. But giving credit to the Government of the day is out of bounds.

I take it you agree that your partisanship was disgusting.

Is the CPC merely the Alliance in new clothing? Doesn't Tories refer to the PCs?

So it's ok to support the money given to the Cree because they credit Chretien for it 3 1/2 years after he left the PMO. But giving credit to the Government of the day is out of bounds.

I take it you agree that your partisanship was disgusting.

Is the CPC merely the Alliance in new clothing? Doesn't Tories refer to the PCs?

I am partisan. As for disgusting, that's the opinion of a member of the Conservative party. Taking it with the grain of salt that it is. I suppose it is no more disgusting that yours.

As for you last sentence, I have no idea what you are talking about since Conservatives even today refer to themselves as Tories.

And yes, I throw the Cree announcement in there with about 100 other spending announcements. It is like Christmas in July. One would think an election was coming or something.

I am partisan. As for disgusting, that's the opinion of a member of the Conservative party. Taking it with the grain of salt that it is. I suppose it is no more disgusting that yours.

Don't really see how this quote would ever be the opinion of a member of the Conservative party.

When the Liberals made these endless announcements, the Tories used to howl. Truly disgusting partisanship.

Care to explain? And please insult me in doing so.

Don't really see how this quote would ever be the opinion of a member of the Conservative party.

Care to explain? And please insult me in doing so.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

The topic was spending announcements. At the time the thread started, CTV had counted up 78 announcements. It would seem we are way over that number now.

I'm with dobbin. This is worse than the Liberals. I see pandering to every group that wants it, to a sum greater than taxpayers have ever had to pay before.

I don't want to foot the bill. Do you?

What issues do you have with the Cree announcement Geoff?

At least you are standard in your response. You want lower taxes and lower Government spending. Fair enough. You can engage in honest debate. You don't stoop to insults.

Dobbin just wants to attack the Government. When it is spending he agrees with, then those recipients give the 'credit' to the Liberals. If there is scorn it goes to the Conservatives, automatically. Praise it goes to the Liberals.

I see the difference. Do you?