The Conservative Spending Spree

The spending continues.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/10/11/via-money.html

Ottawa is expected to announce Thursday that Via Rail will receive several hundred million dollars in new funding.

The announcement will be made at Union Station in downtown Toronto by federal Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon and Finance Minister Jim Flaherty. Via chairman Donald Wright will also be there.

The money is expected to be earmarked for capital acquisitions, refurbishing locomotives and passenger cars, increased rail capacity and day-to-day operations, the Canadian Press reported.

Via Rail receives about $170 million in annual operating subsidies from the government.

The company has been struggling with aging stock and capacity problems since the government of former prime minister Paul Martin reversed a $700 million commitment announced by the Chrétien government in 2003.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my problems with VIA and I'm a great believer in rail travel. My biggest problem with VIA is I believe the VIA management are not great believers in rail travel.

My biggest beef is they tried to turn the train experiance into an ersatz airline experiance, which is a non starter because rail fares are generally more expensive that flying. Sure VIA is a better alternative than flying Toronto to Kingston....but Toronto to Montreal loses in cost and only gains marginally in time spent travelling if the destinations are downtown to downtown.

The biggest hurdles are to overcome the lack of infrastructure investment between 1960 onwards. While Europe enjoys a highspeed intercity network, it takes eons to travel from Toronto to Winnipeg and points west and that direct cross border rail travel really doesn't exist the routes that would make it money are left unused. A montreal to NYC high speed corridor could get you to Manhatten in less time than to fly. And given that rail is a more energy efficiant carrier it just a shame.......

This announcement is a VIA capital expenditure of $140 million per year over five years. But it's on top of a recurring annual subsidy of about $120 million.

Why are taxpayers subsidizing passenger rail traffic in Canada?

The so-called Windsor-Quebec City corridor is a big deal. Well, let the Quebec and Ontario governments pay for this - if they want to. Why are taxpayers in the Yukon or Newfoundland paying for rail passengers at all?

----

Politicians and bureaucrats cannot pick winners. They shouldn't try. Flaherty should be announcing tax cuts. He should not be announcing how he is spending our money for our supposed benefit.

Does Flaherty know anything about railways?

Edited by August1991

Politicians and bureaucrats cannot pick winners. They shouldn't try. Flaherty should be announcing tax cuts. He should not be announcing how he is spending our money for our supposed benefit.

Does Flaherty know anything about railways?

Paul Martin had nixed this spending and I thought he was right to do so. I have nothing against rail traffic but the amount of money being sunk into it seems to be a neverending stream.

Edited by jdobbin

The problem I believe is that rail inititives in canada alone are doomed. We need a north american inititive that offers high speed access similar to Europe and the TGV. Trains should be travelling close to 300KPH anmd routes should be between Montreal and Miami, Toronto to Atalnta, Calgary Edmonton, Vancouver LA....as well as our own domestic services.

While the rest of the world has modern rail service, North America lags behind and instead wastesnresources on cars, highways and air service.

The problem I believe is that rail inititives in canada alone are doomed. We need a north american inititive that offers high speed access similar to Europe and the TGV. Trains should be travelling close to 300KPH anmd routes should be between Montreal and Miami, Toronto to Atalnta, Calgary Edmonton, Vancouver LA....as well as our own domestic services.

While the rest of the world has modern rail service, North America lags behind and instead wastesnresources on cars, highways and air service.

I know nothing about rail, but don't the distances involved make North America a very different ballgame than Europe?

I know nothing about rail, but don't the distances involved make North America a very different ballgame than Europe?

Yes and no. While the ride from Paris to Cannes may be long, it does stop at the cities inbetween.......likewise, A route between montreal and Miami would stop at Albany, NYC, Phili, Baltimore, washington......but going 275 klicks an hour in between....

10 years ago my wife and I took the train from Buffalooo to Tampa...connesting in NYC. We had a room on the train (it was our honeymoon. The trip took something like 20 hours. A high speed rail could do it in 10. Although most riders would use it for intercity like NYC to Washington. It would be much much faster than flying.

On another note, we went 1st class. I smoked back then and to smoke on the train they had smoking sessions in the club car. I went to the first one and found the car filled with what seemed to be anyone unwilling to walk through a metal detector at an airport. That was really the 1st time I had ever really rubbed shoulders with the American underclass. I tell you the sight of "ganstas" playing craps and nursing "hos" drinking Jack and smoking.......

• 4 weeks later...

The spending spree continues.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.ht...2f1&k=39349

A notorious stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway will be one of the key infrastructure projects to benefit from a new agreement between British Columbia and the federal government.

In a deal inked by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Gordon Campbell on Tuesday, B.C. became the first province in Canada to sign on to Ottawa's new Building Canada Plan, a national, multibillion-dollar infrastructure program.

The deal will provide B.C. with $2.2 billion over seven years to invest in roads, bridges, tunnels, ports, public transit and other projects, including a section of the Trans-Canada Highway in the Kicking Horse Canyon.

The attacks apropos of nothing continue.

If the money hadn't been spent it would have been termed "Government allows infrastructure to fail."

After the Conservatives win their majority we can look forward to four more years of these posts.

Edited by Michael Bluth

• 2 months later...

Here's another bill for the spending spree, liberally spread out among the country.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

The federal government has announced a $1-billion investment into single-industry communities stung by economic hardship and plagued by high unemployment.

The announcement comes after increasing pressure to help workers in traditional industries such as forestry, fishing and manufacturing. Such industries have been hurt by the strong Canadian dollar and less demand from the United States.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said the "community development trust fund" will provide money to create new opportunities for vulnerable communities and laid-off workers.

"The program is aimed at one-industry towns facing, or communities plagued by chronic high unemployment, or regions hit by layoffs across a range of sectors," Harper said at a press conference held at a New Brunswick lumber mill on Thursday.

Each province will be given a base one-time payment of $10 million, and each territory will be given $3 million. The rest of the fund will be shared on a per capita basis.

Expect to see more as the election nears.

Congratulations, after a hiatus of two months you found a story to revive your thread. :D

This is excellent news for single industry communities. The majority of Provincial Premiers will be delighted by this initiative. We're quite fortunate to live in a country rich enough to reach out to disadvantaged workers in various locations.

Now the big question is this. Will the Conservatives appropriate the money now or wait to build it into the next budget. Ontario's McGuinty and Quebec's Charest want the money allocated now, if not sooner.

Congratulations, after a hiatus of two months you found a story to revive your thread. :D

Yup, took him two whole months to mischaracterize government spending again.

The attacks apropos of nothing continue.

If the money hadn't been spent it would have been termed "Government allows manufacturing sector to fail."

After the Conservatives win their majority we can look forward to four more years of these posts. That is if the reality of a CPC majority doesn't cause heart attacks due to stress. :lol:

This is excellent news for single industry communities. The majority of Provincial Premiers will be delighted by this initiative. We're quite fortunate to live in a country rich enough to reach out to disadvantaged workers in various locations.

Now the big question is this. Will the Conservatives appropriate the money now or wait to build it into the next budget. Ontario's McGuinty and Quebec's Charest want the money allocated now, if not sooner.

Oh, I'm sure the provinces want the money.

Just another example of Harper's broken promise to reign in spending which has risen 25% since they took office.

That will go as track 16 of your current CD of scripted messages. ;)

Are there actually any fiscally responsible conservatives left on this board?

Does anyone remember Harper's promise to limit spending? It is still in the Conservative website. It was party of their policy manifesto? Why, when times were going so well according to Harper himself, does the government have a runaway train when it comes to spending?

That will go as track 16 of your current CD of scripted messages. ;)

Exactly.

Whining about a lack of "fiscally responsible conservatives" rings hollow in light of the never-ending attacks on any spending announcement the Government makes.

As for true fiscal responsibility ... how much do you think Paulie Martin would have given to the Premiers in this situation?

• 6 months later...

Back to the spending announcements.

Nova Scotia will be receiving a windfall of about $870 million as part of a deal resolving the Crown share dispute over offshore oil royalties with the federal government.

Premier Rodney MacDonald and Defence Minister Peter MacKay revealed the official figure in an announcement Sunday in Halifax.

It is funny how the Tories used to complain about Liberal spending but they have easily outpaced the Liberals in this regard.

Back to the spending announcements.

It is funny how the Tories used to complain about Liberal spending but they have easily outpaced the Liberals in this regard.

Perhaps it has to do with WHERE each party chooses to spend money?

The Tories square up with Nova Scotia. The Liberals square up with their gun registry, Jane's HRDC scandal, Shawinigate and of course, the bar tab in those Montreal restaurants where they paid for so much "advertising".

Perhaps it has to do with WHERE each party chooses to spend money?

As some of the papers point out today, it looks to many like it is a spending announcement to keep MacKay in his seat.

As I recall, the Tories were against this deal when Martin negotiated it. Now they are for it and add even more cash?

And this is only part of $3 billion announced in the last two weeks.

Edited by jdobbin

As some of the papers point out today, it looks to many like it is a spending announcement to keep MacKay in his seat.

Exactly.

As I recall, the Tories were against this deal when Martin negotiated it. Now they are for it and add even more cash?

It was only a bad deal when the Liberals did it (as so many other things have turned out to be). Anything is ok when you are a Conservative.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest spending announcement.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

Ottawa is giving tobacco farmers more than $300-million in a long-awaited effort to help them give it up the practice for good, Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz said Friday.

The money is to finance a federal exit strategy to help farmers find new crops and get out of the tobacco industry altogether, said Immigration and Citizenship Minister Diane Finley, who represents the tobacco-rich riding of Haldimand-Norfolk.

Guess this is to help Dianne Finley in the next election.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...yG4LqErgHI150iw

With a steady stream of cars queuing up to enter Banff National Park as a backdrop, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced Tuesday that his government will spend $100-million to twin a treacherous stretch of the mountain highway.

Harper said improving the 14-kilometre stretch of the Trans-Canada will bolster a key trade corridor between Alberta and British Columbia and make travelling more safe and efficient.

No wonder Flaherty says there will be no more tax decreases. He is probably spending way past his election promise again.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...yG4LqErgHI150iw

No wonder Flaherty says there will be no more tax decreases. He is probably spending way past his election promise again.

I really don't see the problem. That was a very necessary expense that should have been made a long time ago.

I really don't see the problem. That was a very necessary expense that should have been made a long time ago.

You see all of the expenses as necessary such as Bombardier development money, the VIA Rail money and the $4 million a day in spending announcements?