Well, Not A Bad Day, Eh?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's make sure its a RACE , and not a coronation. And remember, it is not a one member one vote scenario, so it may not be the cakewalk for Harper that many expect.

Watch Prentice. he's an up & comer....and popular in Quebec.

Klein seems to think that Neither Harper nor MacKay should have the job, so he might well through his considerable political weight behind Prentice, who has been a longtime merger advocate with friends in both parties.

if i was an opposition party facing a fourth liberal majority gov in the near future, i would be all yippidy about anything that got my face in the paper.

does it seem strange to anybody else that who only reason mackay is even in the position to forwad the merger is because he lied to orchards face?

while i welcome viable competition to make the whole process stronger, i hope mackay doesnt claim to be more moral or less corrupt then the liberals though, because it aint true.

sirriff

I was hoping that Harris would run, but I am now considering supporting Prentice, due to the fact that he seems to belive that social conservatives should play a part in the party, or Harper. Another option could be Ken Dryden.

However if this party simply is about giving tax cuts, and only really fiscally conservative, nothing else. Than I will leave the party, and maybe join the Libertarian party, Freedom Party, or the Christian Heritage Party. I want this party to support traditional values, if it embraces the "socially liberal" policies of abortion on demand, gay rights, and euthanasia, with government funded multiculturalism, I'm out.

You and I are on the same wavelength. I will give you a warning or two about prentice. He supports gay marriage, beleives pot should be a matter between a parent and their child, and also in abortion rights. I don't know where he stands on euthanasia.

When I posted about him posing a real threat to Harper for the leadership, I was in no way endorsing him.

If he does win, and then refuses to allow free votes on the life issues, then the CPC will have been founded for nothing.

I'm mystified as to why admitted fanatics have such an influence on politics. The mainstream won't support an extreme party, so there must be compromise or failure. But compromise is impossible for fanatical types.

If Prentice wins the leadership, you would have a new candidate who's somewhat socially moderate.

But that's not enough for fanatics.

They'll leave the party and the right wing vote will be split 3 ways...

That's the dillema here. If you want to win, you have to compromise. If you compromise, you lose the hard right, and you don't have the votes needed to win. I think that this is a problem with the NDP as well. If you try to implement rational workable policies, you will lose those hard-left, bleeding-heart, do-gooders. If you support those irrational policies wanted by the bleeding-hearts, you lose the more realistic members to the liberals.

Extremism, on either side, will never succeed.

On the issue of leader... McKay is a joke now. He can never win. If he thinks he will be seen as a hero who united the right, well I'm sure history will prove him wrong. Harper, no matter how much you support him, will be seen as the same old CA leader who people were unwilling to vote for. Too much baggage (perception). I'm not saying that he wouldn't win a party election, I actually think he would, I'm saying he would not win the fed election. For the good of the party I think he should step down and let a new fresh face lead the party. Someone not truly identifiable as either a PC or CA man.

For the good of the party I think he should step down and let a new fresh face lead the party. Someone not truly identifiable as either a PC or CA man.

Easy to say, but besides Harper and those that have already ruled themselves out of running for the leadership, who is qualified to lead this party?

Jim Prentice? Not a helluva lot of experience. I'm not sure he wouldn't be eatin alive in a federal election campaign.

Tony Clement? Not very well known outside of Ontario, but that could change with a little money for promotion. Does he speak French? Does Prentice?

The list is terribly short. The Conservatives go into the next election with very little time to prep and a green leader, the outcome may not be pretty.

We dare enter into this next election with yet another rookey at the helm of this thing...

And we will get our asses handed to us like no one can possibly even imagine.

Martin and the Liberals will squash a rookey leader like a bug, without breaking so much as one bead of sweat.

In which case, the big winner will probably be Jack "Don't Bogart that Wonderful Substance" Laidup.

Frankly, I can't believe anyone...especially following what happened to Stock Day...would even remotely entertain such a bizarre notion.

Prentice...or anyone similarly unqualified...would be Martin's wetdream come true. Probably gets a chubby thinking about just the possibility of it.

Norman Spectre, on "Politics" today, observed that Harper is younger than Martin, is quicker on his feet, and...with considerable emphasis...is more intelligent. He predicted that Harper could seriously damage the man.

He also included Layton in that assessment...except for the "intelligence" part.

He said that Martin could find himself getting hammered from both sides, and might not fare too well for it.

I repeat:

This is NOT the time for a leader in training wheels.

That would be nothing less than shear idiocy.

Norman Spectre, on "Politics" today, observed that Harper is younger than Martin, is quicker on his feet, and...with considerable emphasis...is more intelligent. He predicted that Harper could seriously damage the man.

He also included Layton in that assessment...except for the "intelligence" part.

I don't think Norman Spector could identify intelligence if it hit him on the nose.

Layton's theatrics require triple the intelligence of the likes of Harper, who only needs to imitate the American Democrats with a touch of a left hook to look presentable.

Mr. Layton has no one to look up to in North America, or anywhere else for that matter, so he has to improvise. And he is doing HELL OF A JOB, imo.

Nope, never been to NPWBN and never been refered to as a feminazi.

Paul Martin looks very unsure of himself. As I said before he looked like he was going to cry when Manley asked him to reveal his donors. Harper could easily smoke him. Hell I could smoke him.

BUT

The house divided will not get elected. Joe Clark will be the new political analyst on CTV with Patrick Puffy crying about how his family was killed by these horrible crusaders. If Harper wins PCers will stay home and say Martin is really a PCer ya know anyway.

If Mackay wins the CBC will be camped out in Saskatoon with 24 hour coverage of the "note" and how it clearly says "no merger", "maintain 301" blah, blah.

The only way the Conservative Party could get away with changing leaders again (every couple years) is to bring in Micheal Wilson the man that changed the fortunes of Canada up against Vanilla Ice (catchy tune but it aint yours).

What is the general concensus here then? Does anyone think that the Cons can take the next election? From what I've heard, even this last weekend with Rex Murphy, that it is not likely that the Cons will be able to win an election for another 4yrs. If even then. I know a rookie, in the form of Prentice or not, wouldn't have much of a chance right now but I still feel that Harper will not win in the forseeable future. Too many people will see him as the CA leader, and they've truly never been an alternative. The Cons need a makeover, even at the cost of losing the idiot fanatics.

What is the general concensus here then?

I think that lots of Cons. are waiting for one of the refusniks i.e. Harris, Klein, Lord to change their mind.

I'm still waiting for Manning to weigh in with his opinion.

I'LL FOLLOW THE OLD MAN...WHEREVER HE WANTS TO GO

I think Manning's top picks would be Klein, Harris, Dumont. Not neccesarily in that order.

In which case MY top pics would be;

1) Preston Manning

2) Harris, Klein or Dumont.

Highly unlikely for the CPC to win.

People begrudgingly voted for Chretien the last two elections, so I don't see why they wouldn't give the new boy a try.

The CPC needs to focus on 2008, or whatever.

What the true believers of the right don't realize yet is that they'll be as unwelcome as a hillbilly cousin once the party starts making a real pitch for the average voter. It'll be the PC party all over again.