Comment by Elizabeth May

I think Harper's Fundamentalism is a Canadian Urban Myth......

Part of the 'progressive' smear machine, keep perpetuating it and people will believe it. Actually he might be a fundamentalist of some kind, but if he is, he doesn't wear it on his sleeve or bring it into politics like Stockwell Day did. And if he is, so what.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love the manufactured outrage. The Conservatives are holding onto this faux pas like a lifeline to distract people from their own difficulties.

Hmmm...was there similar Conservative outcry after a certain minister said the following?

Peter Mackay, May 17, 2006:

Mr. Speaker, what is completely sad is that the member would somehow diminish the real important work that is being done...I do not expect members of the NDP to understand this. I fully expect that the Neville Chamberlains of the 21st century in the NDP do not want to be part of an effort that is aimed at elevating the lives of the people of Afghanistan.

http://section15.blogspot.com/2007/05/of-p...hamberlain.html

expected and within their filthy established pattern.

While I am not intending to report this (if I did, I'd be prohibited from mentioning it), I will point out to you that this comment violates the forum rules (q.v.). I'd suggest you use the 'edit' function to amend it.

Dancer, Dancer, Dancer ... will you ever READ the forum rules, I wonder? In fact my comment did not violate the rules, which say: "Rule of thumb: Play the ball, not the person". Which is what I did.

I'd have PMed you instead of adding to the thread, but you turned off PMs from me. (Fearing further education, no doubt.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meanwhile, for those of you who are incapable of drawing even the grossest distinctions, be advised -- May did not compare anyone to the Nazis, she compared them to appeasers such as Neville Chamberlain. There's a major difference there.

I think Harper's Fundamentalism is a Canadian Urban Myth......

Part of the 'progressive' smear machine, keep perpetuating it and people will believe it. Actually he might be a fundamentalist of some kind, but if he is, he doesn't wear it on his sleeve or bring it into politics like Stockwell Day did. And if he is, so what.

Would either of you Brain Trustys care for some actual information?

Didn't think so.

Oh well, here's this anyway...

"Harper, a Presbyterian by background, finds himself spiritually "at home" in Christian and Missionary Alliance congregations in Calgary and Ottawa."

http://christianity.ca/faith/profiles/2005/12.000.html

So what, he goes to church, Paul Martin's a devout catholic so was JFK, people who go to church shouldn't be in politics or have a voice? whats the point. What does that leave us with, devout secular humanists or what. Its not an issue, only made so by people who wish to plant fear.

"A recent Liberal "push poll" seemed designed to plant fear in the hearts of voters about a possible Evangelical takeover of the Conservatives.

"Harper, a Presbyterian by background, finds himself spiritually "at home" in Christian and Missionary Alliance congregations in Calgary and Ottawa."

http://christianity.ca/faith/profiles/2005/12.000.html

Wow! Isn't that something!

Talking about the 'progressive smear machine' eh, Figleaf.

The only true fundamentalist left in the world to-day, are followers of Islam, some of whom believe dying as a martyr for Allah is the greatest blessing that can be bestowed on them.

Gee and here's Elizabeth May preaching the gospel LOL guess she's some kind of 'fundy' too should she be out of politics cos she goes to church :D

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/200...141314-sun.html

May preaches green gospel

Preaching in London about the threat of climate change, Green party Leader Elizabeth May brought herself to tears yesterday, not for children who will inherit the Earth, but for the God she believes created it.

It wasn't the first time May has mixed politics and faith -- she says she speaks often at churches.

But her voice broke and her eyes filled with tears as she delivered a moving sermon at Wesley-Knox United Church in Wortley Village.

"We have a moral obligation to our Lord and Father to ensure we don't destroy the creation that was given to us," she said.

-snip-

"This is a time for Christians to say we do believe in miracles, in the life-giving force," she said.

The delicate balance God created is under assault as people increased exponentially their use of fossil fuels, unleashing carbon dioxide and destroying the forests that can return carbon to the Earth, she said.

"We're playing with the forces that led to creation . . . we're nearing the edge of the life force and we're still playing around," May said.

She said it's as if the lessons of the Garden of Eden have been disregarded repeatedly and the results are already harming poorer nations.

So what, he goes to church, ... whats the point.

I was simply providing information. I have no specific knowledge at all about the Christian and Missionary Alliance congregations in Calgary and Ottawa, whether they are fundamentalist, evangelical, mainstream or avante garde.

Personally, I think it is impractical to attempt to exclude all people who profess a religion from public service.

BTW what was the name of the outfit that Stock Day was part of who thought that democracy was against God?

So what, he goes to church, ... whats the point.

I was simply providing information. I have no specific knowledge at all about the Christian and Missionary Alliance congregations in Calgary and Ottawa, whether they are fundamentalist, evangelical, mainstream or avante garde.

Personally, I think it is impractical to attempt to exclude all people who profess a religion from publiec

BTW what was the name of the outfit that Stock Day was part of who thought that democracy was against God?

No idea, but he doesn't talk about it now, he learned.

LOL!! This is real funny, figgy trying to change the subject, but when the leader of the Green party comes up with lines like these, parties' fortunes can be quickly reversed.

How does that saying go, if your opponent is saying stupid things, don't stop him? Elizabeth May, among others, are good assets to the CPC.

Clean air in our time.

Wow, I have been busy of late, and just catching up on what I can here. This thread is really interesting. It would seem that Elizabeth May is completely over the top. I find her comments offensive to sanity and reason, if one is seriously concerned about the environment. I cannot determine if she is doing politics any differently then the other parties, but her comments appear as ham fisted as some of the worst ones by Stephen Harper in recent weeks.

She certainly lacks judgement and respect for others. I would not wish to be too closely associated with her or her party. I believe Dion has made a serious error in judgement and just watch them start to disassociate and maybe even back an "independant" Liberal in Central Nova. Someone should be doing damage control, but I believe for Elizabeth May there will be many more major gaffs like this one in the coming year.

It almost appears that Gord Pearson is running very fast in the opposite direction.

Regardless of all this wild and crazy talk from their leader, they seem to be steady in the polls.

I am not certain why, but I believe it has more to do with the weakness of the CPC to have serious action on Climate Change. They have yet to be successful in getting this monkey off their back.

Perhaps they should move their policy closer to what the NDP are suggesting, and just let Elizabeth May talk her way out politics.

Reading this thread, the question that I have is whether it is or is not a successful political strategy for conservatives to attempt to create their own private fantasy realm. Will the mystical magical domain of tory narrative draw in sufficient voters to build a CPC majority? If so, it will make an interesting PHD dissertation for some pencil-neck somewhere.

Regardless of all this wild and crazy talk from their leader, they seem to be steady in the polls.

I am not certain why, but I believe it has more to do with the weakness of the CPC to have serious action on Climate Change. They have yet to be successful in getting this monkey off their back.

Perhaps they should move their policy closer to what the NDP are suggesting, and just let Elizabeth May talk her way out politics.

Perhaps part of the reason why the Green's support has remained steady is their dogmatic environmentalist alarmism, and fear keeps people close, no matter what the leader may be spouting off about, even if it's as radical as a comparison with Nazis.

Actually, many green supporters probably agree with her.

Right or wrong, the Greens have always been able to make a claim to the high ground. May is diving off head first. I think many people have seen them as a place to park their vote when they are not happy with the two main parties and can't bring themselves to vote NDP. She is doing a good job of blowing that IMO.

Canadian politicians are following the public on this issue. If the politicians are not careful, they may find themselves at the end of the parade.

Really? I thought the majority of Canadians polled said we should not go ahead with Kyoto although it's well intentioned. I can't remember.

And this climate change thing is at it's head right now. Now we're seing the extreme statements because people involved know they are losing the limelight.

I've lived through global cooling, the cold war, the AIDS scare, the heart disease/eat fibre fad, the UFO scare, and now we're focusing on global warming which, when the public gets educated, is just a media fad. People are getting educated and see through the scam.

It's the same old anti-industry hippies that are at the forefront of this whole thing and all we are doing is chasing our tales and wasting money. Not only us, the whole world.

Listen.. people want 2 things in life. Money and power. Money give you power. Power gives you money. Both give you happiness and fulfillment.

The activists involved are after power. They want money from not working. They won't disclose how much Al-Gore got paid to be at the summit.

The researchers are finally getting their work recognized and are recieving the funding they desire which allows them to play God and reign supreme over their collegues.

In the end, people are all the same. And if Global Warming will get them their money and power then so be it.

No one talks about how after the summit, John Baird and David Suzuki were at Bistro 920 in Toronto having drinks discussing issues. John was supposedly really tipsy.

Even John Baird has gotten money and power out of this whole thing.

Eventually, global warming will be a thing of the past and we'll move on to another scare, that will in turn, make certain people money and power and the cycle continues.

Just like the tech bubble, it's wealth off falsehoods and is sure to burst.

Think about it, Global Warming has done nothing but give people money and power. That's all it has done so far and is all it ever will do.

I've lived through global cooling, the cold war, the AIDS scare, the heart disease/eat fibre fad, the UFO scare, and now we're focusing on global warming which, when the public gets educated, is just a media fad. People are getting educated and see through the scam.
The Cold War and AIDS were serious. We sort of solved them. Ever hear of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
Listen.. people want 2 things in life. Money and power. Money give you power. Power gives you money. Both give you happiness and fulfillment.
Money is just paper. Do you really mean that people devote their life to getting paper?

And with that question, I'll move on to a broader point.

The baby-boomers are reaching retirement age and they're beginning to think about death (their own parents are dying) and they're thinking about their own children (if they had any) and they're thinking about their legacy. You will notice that in all the references to global warming, there are references to "children and grandchildren".

MakeDavid, you can dismiss global warming as a fad. Modern politicians in the 21st century don't have that luxury. They ignore the environment at their electoral peril. As a group, they are struggling to get a grip on this issue.

I have my own view.

If something appears to be free, people use it too much. And when people use something too much, it generally becomes a problem. The environment appears to be free. So I'm not surprised that people dump whatever whenever they want into it and the environment has become a problem.

MikeDavid, have you ever managed an office where employees could come in to see you for whatever whenever they wanted?

Seems like Ms May has been added to a very long list of politicians who like to use Neville Chamberlain as a rhetorical comparison.

http://www.macleans.ca/homepage/features/a...502_190456_5108

The glass house is getting crowded

Why are so many MPs so fond of Neville Chamberlain?

Philippe Gohier, Macleans.ca | May 2, 2007 | 7:07 pm EST

As Macleans.ca first pointed out this morning, Green Party leader Elizabeth May is hardly the first Canadian politician to use Neville Chamberlain as a rhetorical device.

For instance, in a manner strikingly similar to May's, NDP leader Jack Layton suggested in 2005 that then-prime minister Paul Martin's failure to meet Kyoto targets made "Neville Chamberlain look like a stalwart in standing up to a crisis." Two years later, Layton is feeling a sudden surge of decorum.

"Well, we certainly would have never made any such comparison," he said Tuesday, when asked by reporters about May's comment. -end quote

On that list is Gerald Keddy, Stockwell Day, Leon Benoit, Brian Fitzpatrick, and joining NDP Jack Layton is Alexa McDonough;

Now the self-righteous rise up and condemn Ms May, embellishing and twisting what she said.

tsk, tsk

So, this one single incident, Elizabeth May managed to accomplish the following:

1. Offend some sectors of our public. Wilfully or not. Either way, it shows lack of sensitivity and sound judgement.

2. Dish out a personal insult to our neighbors to the South, by referring to the faith of Pres Bush.

Further showing that not only does she lacks sound judgment, May also lacks diplomacy.

3. She had apologised for the Hitler comment....but remained comment about the Christian bashing.

This is coming from someone who's allegedly a "born again" Christian...training to become a church minister in the Anglican Church.

Her choice of words were not so Christian-like.

The inconsistency in her behaviour suggests that May is not only a loose cannon. To me, she seems someone quite unstable. Psychologically or mentally.

4. She quite easily uses God and religion, without any qualms to further her agenda. This, coming from an alleged "born again"...and future church minister. To me, she is a phoney.

5. She can squeeze out a few tears at will. Then she's a good actress and manipulator.

And if these are genuine tears, then she is incapable of reigning in her emotions.

All of the above only proves, she's driven by dangerous fanaticism.

I feel sorry for the members of the Green Party.

Seems like Ms May has been added to a very long list of politicians who like to use Neville Chamberlain as a rhetorical comparison.

Now the self-righteous rise up and condemn Ms May, embellishing and twisting what she said.

tsk, tsk

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....45entry214945

allready posted here

May's comments are indefensible because Stephen Harper or anyone else who dissents from the Kyoto cultism are not looking to kill anyone and are hardly abetting evil, there is quite a moral distinction.

May's comments are indefensible because Stephen Harper or anyone else who dissents from the Kyoto cultism are not looking to kill anyone and are hardly abetting evil, there is quite a moral distinction.
On the contrary, if you look at what she said in context, it makes perfect sense. The UK foreign secretary and Prince Charles have made the same analogy as May.

In some ways, I don't think that many commentators and politicians understand that the Green Party and May represent a non-politician. The people who vote Green (about 10% of the population) are typically people who are tired of the kind of politics traditionally on display. They also care about environmental issues.

I would expect more of this in the future.

The traditional parties are just now coming to grips with this phenomenon; disinterested voters who, in effect, are voting for "none of the above".

On the contrary, if you look at what she said in context, it makes perfect sense. The UK foreign secretary and Prince Charles have made the same analogy as May.

In some ways, I don't think that many commentators and politicians understand that the Green Party and May represent a non-politician. The people who vote Green (about 10% of the population) are typically people who are tired of the kind of politics traditionally on display. They also care about environmental issues.

And they're stupid and ignorant. You forgot that.

And they're stupid and ignorant. You forgot that.

Guess that makes me one. Funny how people filled with so much hatred towards themselves and others like to lash out to try and make themselves feel elevated. How's that working for you Argus?