Marijuana Cures Cancer?

People "self medicate" all the time. Instead of taking a doctor prescribed valium at the end of the day, some folks drink a glass of wine... some folks smoke a little weed... some folks do yoga.

There is still such a social stigma attached -- drives me nuts. No one thinks anything odd of my coworker who goes home and polishes off a bottle of red wine every night, but I am loath to mention that I smoke pot (because of the social stigma) -- even though she gets pissed drunk and I only get slightly mellow.

I don't know where you work, but I don't know too many people who think it's perfectly acceptable to polish off a bottle of wine every night. IMO neither one is regarded too highly, though I agree, smoking pot shouldn't even be considered anywhere near drinking yourself to a stupor every night.

About the first statement - to each their own, though I don't recommend having a glass of wine, smoking a little weed and then doing yoga. :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that it's not good for the lungs--it can cause a smoker's cough--but to the best of my knowledge, it's not a carcinogen at all.
If it were, we would see all kinds of studies linking Rastafarian lifestyle with high incidence of lung-cancer.
Tell that to Bob Marley.

He died of toe cancer.

It's true that it's not good for the lungs--it can cause a smoker's cough--but to the best of my knowledge, it's not a carcinogen at all.
If it were, we would see all kinds of studies linking Rastafarian lifestyle with high incidence of lung-cancer.
Tell that to Bob Marley.

He died of toe cancer.

I don't know what criteria the medical profession uses to determine "high incidence" of a disease, but I'm pretty sure it isn't one guy. Usually it implies a disproportionate number within a sample group and I still haven't seen any evidence thereof.

Rue, I seriously thought that by the time I reached middle age the stigma would be gone as we have all (most of us) tried it and discovered that we didn't turn into werewolves or anything LOL

Yeah no kidding. I keep it from most of my family for the stigma attatched. My parents know I smoke, hell I am an adult and can make my own calls right? Yes indeed. I thought my mom was a hippie back in the day, I know for sure my dad smoke pot back in the day. My mom asked me the other day why I smoke and how I feel after it. If she knew, she would not have asked.

About the first statement - to each their own, though I don't recommend having a glass of wine, smoking a little weed and then doing yoga.

Red wine is known to have anti-oxidents that can combat certain desieses.

Weed, chills you out, little more focus involved.

Yoga is good for the body.

This just might be the best cure for everything I could think of. Wine to take the edge off from the day, a joint to mellow you out. Yoga to relax and stretch the body. The Ultimate Unwind.

There is an interesting CBC podcast available that talks about how Mary Jane and cannaboids affect the brain. Compared to all other drugs and substances, weed does something to the brain no other drug does. I will see if I can get it hosted for you guys. It is an iteresting bit. The show ran 25 minutes.

There is an interesting CBC podcast available that talks about how Mary Jane and cannaboids affect the brain. Compared to all other drugs and substances, weed does something to the brain no other drug does. I will see if I can get it hosted for you guys. It is an iteresting bit. The show ran 25 minutes.

In a nutshell, rather than causing a chemical imbalance like other drugs (often an interference with dopamine production), there are built-in receptors in the brain that are activated by cannabinoids. These receptors weren't discovered until 1988. It appears that the brain has actually evolved (or been created) to accept and use cannabinoids. This is why weed is nontoxic, causes the brain no evident damage, and can't cause an overdose.

But it can apparently cure cancer.

I'd say weed does NOT cure cancer.

I'd say more studies would certainly have to be done, but it would be criminal to refrain from exploring it further.

It is a miracle cure for nausea, though. I swear by it whenever I get stomach flu.

I'd say weed does NOT cure cancer.

I'd say more studies would certainly have to be done, but it would be criminal to refrain from exploring it further.

It is a miracle cure for nausea, though. I swear by it whenever I get stomach flu.

Hi BubberMiley,

Here is an interesting study you may find rather insightful:

Cannabinoids: Potential Anticancer Agents

Cannabinoids — the active components of Cannabis sativa and their derivatives — exert

palliative effects in cancer patients by preventing nausea, vomiting and pain and by stimulating

appetite. In addition, these compounds have been shown to inhibit the growth of tumour cells in

culture and animal models by modulating key cell-signalling pathways. Cannabinoids are usually

well tolerated, and do not produce the generalized toxic effects of conventional chemotherapies.

So, could cannabinoids be used to develop new anticancer therapies?

There are MANY studies already. The problem is the monopoly establishment of very powerful Pharmaceutical companies, at least in part. Historically speaking many industries were on the bandwagon to see hemp and her sisters prohibited for their own monopolistic reasons - Hearst and his paper empire and well as Dupont come to mind. I don't imagine their modern counterparts in both lumber and chemicals are eager to see Hemp reintroduced and its use normalized any more than the Pharma or oil industry does.

Then of course their is the windfall of dollars distributed to police forces all over the country (esp. in the US) earmarked solely for the War on (some) Drugs. In turn, if a community really had no big drug problem - they didn't get funds! So, hey why not encourage one then cash in?

You can read some great testimonials and related articles wrt the Drug War here:

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Anyways, enjoy and if I can digg up some others I will.

• 1 year later...
You have never even SEEN it?

What cave have you been living in since 1970??

Just kidding, but I find it incredible that there is even one person who's not tried it let alone never even seen it. That's just crazy ;-)

yes, this is nearly 2 years later - I never seen this stuff in real, only pictures :)

I also let folks know that I know what is illegal, could be a reason it remains hidden

LOL

and two years later, I still see no harm in ingesting marijuana. ;)

There is no reason for it to be an illegal substance. Numerous studies have been done; it's time to take the profit away from the criminals and let people purchase and use it at their will.

Government is all about money, so I just can't understand why they haven't jumped on this. It would be a huge profit maker for them. Tax the shit out of it... at least the money goes to the public coffers, rather than to the criminal.

Government is all about money, so I just can't understand why they haven't jumped on this. It would be a huge profit maker for them. Tax the shit out of it... at least the money goes to the public coffers, rather than to the criminal.
It's the War on Drugs - too many vested interests on both sides of the law. Interestingly, many states in the US actually have less restrictive laws on marijuana than Canada does.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516

I've heard that in California it is possible to obtain a medical exemption at a walk-in clinic, then walk across the parking lot to the 'dispensary' and pick up what you need...

The Hell's Angels would simply never let legalization happen. :ph34r:

-k

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I'd give my two cents worth. I smoked the stuff as if it were cigs for about 8 years, and lived the lifestyle and culture that goes with it. I know all the arguements for it's use and I and I used them to support my use of it. I did some hard stuff as well. I gave it up and supported the thought that it should remain illegal due to the destructive lifestyle that often accompanied it. the problem with pot use or firearms use is the person using it. My view has since changed. Pot and many of the hard drugs does increase dopaine levels in the body. It now appears that low dopamine levels may very well be responsible for illnesses such as MS, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia. However an increase in consumption in NADH would help as well. At present, only one company can produce the stuff( it patented), but is found in meats. RB, the stuff can degrade your perception if you smoke alot, but if small quantities are taken it can increase your ability of perception significantly. I'm a libertarian, and as long as the individual does not violate or harm another person I believe that I or anyone else should leave pot smokers alone. Society should quit playing the nanny and decide what's "GOOD FOR YOU." Anyone will defend their habit or hobbies when they percieve them to be under attack.

This is just as true for prohibitionists and forum posters.

Cancer is a cure for cancer. Alcohol use - pot use - use of mind altering prescribed medications...all of these are bad - If we could go back in time - and re-do the world - any sensable person would not bring things like tobacco - or any other dope into their lives...Pot advocates are goofy - all the chronic and occaisional users of pot are stupified...which makes us a push over for other nations who are strick about keeping the population alert and functioning at a high level - Pot smokers do not get high - they get low.

Cancer is a cure for cancer. Alcohol use - pot use - use of mind altering prescribed medications...all of these are bad - If we could go back in time - and re-do the world - any sensable person would not bring things like tobacco - or any other dope into their lives...Pot advocates are goofy - all the chronic and occaisional users of pot are stupified...which makes us a push over for other nations who are strick about keeping the population alert and functioning at a high level - Pot smokers do not get high - they get low.

Surely you don't deny the medicinal properties of marihuana.

Surely you don't deny the medicinal properties of marihuana.

It is a medicine - so is alcohol. But if you are not sick and you use the medicine - the medicine makes you sick. For instance in some it can have a positive effect and elevate the mood and change the perception giving the person a jump start - a refreshement. Or if a person is alcoholic - a few puffs after your 6 beers will quell the need for more booze...usually it's beddie time after that. :rolleyes: Hunger - if you are ill or over stressed and not eating - it is useful - There is such a thing as pot hangovers you know...and todays product is like drinking 100 proof alcohol. I knew this real estate person who was a total materialist and she would say - "smoking pot makes her spiritual" - well you can't smoke the stuff all day long - and it like other natural drugs can open the door - but just a crack and the rest is up to you to do sober.

all the chronic and occaisional users of pot are stupified...which makes us a push over for other nations who are strick about keeping the population alert and functioning at a high level - Pot smokers do not get high - they get low :lol::lol::lol:
.Which countries are there that are keeping their populations alert and functioningat a high level. Last time I checked the problems existed in even muslim nations. Bennies are taken by truck and bus drivers to stay alert(although they are illegal). My understanding is that the gov't gives troops drugs before going into combat to help keep them calm and alert during firefights. Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate it's use, like alchohol it can be abused. The problem with drug or alchohol abuse is that the abuse of it is just a coping mechanism for problems that the person has and is unaware of or is unwilling to deal with. I know, I've been there.
There is such a thing as pot hangovers you know...and todays product is like drinking 100 proof alcohol.
Well I've never experienced a pot hangover, and I used it for over 8 years. As for being like drinking 100 proof, I don't think so. Both pot and alchohol effect you very differently. Both don't make anyone behave badly, but rather, the person's true characher is revealed, especially so with alchohol. What I think you may have been trying to say is that the stuff prduced today is more potent, which for the most part is correct. In the past we just smoked more of it to get the same effect. None the less, what business does society have interfering or dictating to the public what they can or can't do if the behavior does not hurt anyone else other than themselves?

If you smoke strong pot in a fair quantity..you do feel - not quite the same the next morning...a mild hang over and a slight empairment...as for the bus and truck driving Muslim speed freaks---it's condoned like cocaine and stumliant use is condoned here - they work hard and fast and are very productive untill they finally collapse...industry loves the population to be stimulated - but pot makes you not do what you do not want to do - like maybe work fast or go to work that day _ If you have not noticed they bust pot growers but rarely bust cocaine importers...besides - it stimulates the enconmy world wide...that's the real disgrace that the banking system is dependant to a great degree on opiate - pot and cocaine sales..once it's cash - it goes int the system.

in Somolia mlitia would start the day out with no drugs in their system. They would start smoking a local plant (which escapes my memory at the moment) and would get high. By evening they would become violent, killing people speading terror throughout much of the population. Google "drugs, Samolia,malitia"