Stanley Cup Playoffs 2007

So, if I understand properly, there's a big game tonight between Vancouver and Dallas. Checking my OP, I predicted Dallas in 4! (Boy, was I wrong.)

Clearly, I have underestimated the power, strength and sheer agility of the squad Vancouver has put on the ice this year. Vancouver's defence has its blades entrenched and a corner-digging offense second to none. When Vancouver's power play crosses the coloured line, you just know the guys are on a mission to destroy the netted box with that slim black disc.

A revision is in order. Vancouver it will be, in 7!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact: the 2006-07 Calgary Flames won the same number of playoff series as the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Bahh!

Playfair is out of a job, watch and see. I'm moving my support behind the Devils... I like their playing style and I'm one of the few Calgarians to admit that Brodeur is a far superior goaltender to Kiprusoff.

Unfortunately they are up against my 2nd pick, Ottawa, so I'm going to be glued to that series.

The West has not much left to cheer for. Detriot was ok, but why couldn't they finish off a weak Calgary squad faster. Neither Dallas or Van seem particularly exciting. The Ducks? Ugh.

So, if I understand properly, there's a big game tonight between Vancouver and Dallas. Checking my OP, I predicted Dallas in 4! (Boy, was I wrong.)

Clearly, I have underestimated the power, strength and sheer agility of the squad Vancouver has put on the ice this year. Vancouver's defence has its blades entrenched and a corner-digging offense second to none. When Vancouver's power play crosses the coloured line, you just know the guys are on a mission to destroy the netted box with that slim black disc.

A revision is in order. Vancouver it will be, in 7!

I don't know, tonight's game is going to be very close, like the second half of the series. Even with blades entreched and slim black discs flying into netted boxes.

Just to give an example of how ridiculous the conference standings are:

Vancouver finished in 3rd place in the Western Conference while Dallas finished 3 places below them in 6th. They are in a series together right now.

Vancouver finished with 105 points. While Dallas finished with 107.

Dallas is ahead of Vancouver in points but three places below them in the standings?

And because of this Vancouver got home ice advantage.

In the Eastern Conference Ottawa and Pittsburgh finished with 105 points a piece but were both ranked below Atlanta which had 97.

To me this is just a little screwed up.

Vancouver or any team only gets home ice advanatge for the first series, after that home ice goes to the team with the most points.

And there has to be some reward for winning your divsion,which Vancouver did. There also has to be a reward for finishing first overall in the Conference, and Detroit is enjoying that now.

Actually Buffalo is really reaping that reward, with two relatively weak opponents in Islanders and Rangers.

So, two Canadian teams left, and Vancouver looks like the one that has the tougher road with Anaheim. Any sports reporter I've heard is picking Anaheim, but there are some thiings that could help the Canucks. One, the referees. If they call it anything like the previous Vancouver series, it will be Van's advantage. Even in game 7, the phantom penalties were obvious. If the Ducks try to get physical on the Canucks they could end up in the box regularly.

The other thing I've heard is after Pronger and Neidermayer, their defense gets pretty unexceptional, and could be beat. But the Canucks will need Cooke back soon, and as of yesterday, he's not even skating yet. Also, Bieska is getting blood tests done! If he goes down, so goes the series.

Playfair is out of a job, watch and see. I'm moving my support behind the Devils... I like their playing style and I'm one of the few Calgarians to admit that Brodeur is a far superior goaltender to Kiprusoff.

Unfortunately they are up against my 2nd pick, Ottawa, so I'm going to be glued to that series.

I'm pulling for the Sens there. can't stand Lamirello and can't stand Jersey.

The West has not much left to cheer for. Detriot was ok, but why couldn't they finish off a weak Calgary squad faster. Neither Dallas or Van seem particularly exciting. The Ducks? Ugh.

Well it's Van and Ana, so I'm actually cheering for the Ducks. The Oilers get a first rounder out of them if they advance, plus I despise the Canucks. Overall, though, I really like the Sharks.

Other people have mentioned the officiating before.

but there are some thiings that could help the Canucks. One, the referees.
I have not followed every series but part of me thinks that we would have better hockey if we threw out the referees and just had pick-up. The officiating is all over the place.

I have not followed every series but part of me thinks that we would have better hockey if we threw out the referees and just had pick-up. The officiating is all over the place.

Should the teams hire their own 'private' referees? ;)

A commentator on one of the sports channels made an interesting observation. He said that during the regular season officials work as a team. During the the playoffs those teams are broken up and that could have something to do with the inconsistency. Seems like a dumb policy if true.

It depends on the officials. Many are quite good in my opinion, Don Koharski, Dan O'Halloran, Rob Shick, Paul Divorski, Dan Marouelli come to mind.

I think the mark of a good offical is when you don't notice them in the game, but you also don't think players are getting away with things too much.

Some of the vets, Kerry Fraser, Mick McGeough, Bill McCreary... they just seem too involved in the game, like they almost wish they were playing. McGeough is especially bad, you notice his officiating all game, every game.

I don't like that.

NY came at them with everything and all cylinders humming and still lost.

I feel like a new man, however, and it's because the Canucks just showed the Ducks there's more than one one way to skin a, uh, duck! Maybe they can beat Anaheim after all.

The reffing, however, is a big mystery wrapped inside an enigma. At least 2 of the Canuck penalties were complete dives that the refs bought. Salonne even kicked his legs in the air on the one and the talking heads at intermission all agreed it was an obvious dive. Hopefully the refs improve as the series goes along.

Late in the NYR game, the Rangers were completely caught with too many men when the 6th guy who had just jumped over the boards touched the puck. No call. Then with seconds to go, NY enters the Sabre zone offside and the refs let it go. Bizzare. Really makes you wonder if the losing teams are supposed to get some kind of handicap now or something.

So, we've got the Second Tour.

Buffalo Sabres vs. New York Rangers

The name buffalo sabres strikes me as such an oxymoron that they just have to win, despite my preference for a team from "New York, New York, it's a wonderful town... the Bronx is up and the Battery's down... "

Buffalo it'll be... in 5!

New Jersey Devils vs. Ottawa Senators

New Jersey Devils is a really stoopid name for a hockey team, particularly one from New Jersey. Where do they play, Atlantic City? Ventnor? Boradwalk?

I'm going to torture the Ottawa Senators for another round - then get rid of them.

Ottawa in 6!

Detroit Red Wings vs. San Jose Sharks

There is no way that a city in a Burt Bacharach lyric can beat Motown or Gordie Howe.

Detroit in 6!

Anaheim Ducks vs. Vancouver Canucks

This one is cute. The Ducks vs the Canucks. Get it? (BTW, weren't they called the Mighty Ducks before? What happened to the Mighty? Are they going to be called the Anaheim Donald Ducks next year?)

I have absolutely no idea who will win this one but I figure no team associated with Donald Duck and Disneyland can ever win teh Stanley Cup. I'll put them out of their misery now.

The Canucks in 7!

----

So there you have the predictions. The bookies in Las Vegas will change the odds tomorrow so bet soon.

(BTW, weren't they called the Mighty Ducks before? What happened to the Mighty? Are they going to be called the Anaheim Donald Ducks next year?)

Just in case you don't actually know (I bet you do and your being sarcastic), Disney sold the team to new owners and took their trademark with them.

Speaking of hockey, has anyone else had crappy HD from CBC broadcasts of Vancouver games since Anaheim? I had this bad picture for the first 3 games here in B.C.

Speaking of which, it looks like Van is in tough. If they go, I'll be happy to cheer for Ottawa, but I couln't for TO. All the dumb commentary from Harry Neal is giving me Leaf flashbacks. Oh well.

Buffalo it'll be... in 5!

I'm going to torture the Ottawa Senators for another round - then get rid of them.

Ottawa in 6!

Detroit in 6!

The Canucks in 7!

So there you have the predictions. The bookies in Las Vegas will change the odds tomorrow so bet soon.

Great Predictions, except for the Canucks. I like the part about torturing the Ottawa Senators with the Buffalo Sabres during this next round. Actually, I think the Sabre name is one of the best in hockey. A Sabre is a blade, and hockey is played on blades.

Actually, I think the Sabre name is one of the best in hockey. A Sabre is a blade, and hockey is played on blades.
A buffalo is a dimwitted beast with a filthy hide that tends to drip in clumps. A sabre, it's not. There's not a sabre-tooth in its head.

I can appreciate the game of ice hockey (IMV, it's the fastest, most exciting sport when played well: I've seen the DVD of the Canada-Soviet 1972 series) but I don't follow the NHL at all. My predictions are based purely on whatever runs through my mind at the time I post.

Let's hope Brodeur is human after all.
He was one of the few people out of New Jersey who spoke to the media after they were eliminated. Good on him for being a gentleman.

Was everybody else too eager to play golf???

Should the teams hire their own 'private' referees? ;)
Good one! Let me try to work that one through...

I want to rant about the officiating again. I do not see it getting better.

One thing that was pointed out to me is that icing calls are being whistled BEFORE the player touches the puck -- giving more time on the clock. I realize that a few seconds here or there is almost trivial but goals have been scored and denied within seconds of the siren.

A buffalo is a dimwitted beast with a filthy hide that tends to drip in clumps.

That is so steriotypical. You just have to get to know them better. They are actually very intelligent and clean. They have an almost mystical importance to the indian. The city was not named after the animal, but after a creek which runs through it.

Actually, I think the Sabre name is one of the best in hockey. A Sabre is a blade, and hockey is played on blades.

Something that has apparently eluded the Sabres brass, since their most recent uniform designs have made only passing reference to that fact.

Anyway, here's hoping for a Wings/Sens final. I hate Pronger.

Go Sabres Go !

And uh....go Anaheim. How the H did San Jose lose to Detroit?

I have a thoery, and time will tell if it is correct. I think it will come down to a Buffalo Detroit final, because of destiny, and hopefuly a Buffalo win. This seems to be a series of ghosts for Buffalo. In the Islanders, there was the team which fired the present Buffalo GM Darcy Regier. The NY Rangers are not the Giants, but the NY mayor made reference to wide right when he refused the food bet before the series. In Ottawa is the team which caused the Drury concusion and who most recently Emery stated he wished NY had won because there would be more to do between games (Willis McGahee?), and in Detroit is Dominic Hasek who laid down on Buffalo during the Buffalo Dallas Stanley Cup final and then demanded to be traded to Detroit.