Stanley Cup Playoffs 2007

Greg usually lets one sports thread get by every so often. And as Black Dog once said, hockey is a religion in Canada - and this is the Stanley Cup playoffs.

So, here are my predictions for the upcoming playoffs: (They've started, no?)

Buffalo Sabres

New York Islanders

New York, New York versus a team with an oxymoron name. Hmmm. The New York Islanders? I'm betting that's not Manhattan. Buffalo wings are good. So, I go with the Sabres. Buffalo in four!

New Jersey Devils

Tampa Bay Lightning

This one's a no brainer. Tampa Bay has to win because a) there are two really cool bridges in Tampa, B) any hockey team in Florida has to win just on moxy and c) nothing much good ever came from New Jersey. Tampa in four!

Atlanta Thrashers

New York Rangers

Atlanta Thrashers? What a ridiculous name for a hockey team. Atlanta it is - in five!

Ottawa Senators

Pittsburgh Penguins

Black tie senators against perky penguins - Imagine! As much as I hate the place, I'll choose Ottawa if only to tantalize them for a while and then finish them off in another round. Ottawa in seven!

Detroit Red Wings

Calgary Flames

I know Gordie Howe played for Detroit but I'll appeal to the local crowd. Calgary in six!

Anaheim Ducks

Minnesota Wild

Tough one. Any team named "Wild" from Minnesota deserves a second look. (Do Minnesotans go wild? Ever?) OTOH, the Anaheim "ducks" is even worse as a team name. I'll bet the Anaheim goalie doesn't too often. Anaheim in six!

Vancouver Canucks

Dallas Stars

[bad joke in very poor taste]Jackie may disagree but the Canucks are going down. Dallas, it is - in four! (I've heard that many Finns play there. True? So why aren't they called the Dallas Saunas?)[/joke very in poor taste]

Nashville Predators

San Jose Sharks

This one will obviously be a vicious fight. Sharks versus predators. If it were the Nashville Piranhas, then maybe I'd change my change my prediction. But predators? No. When the blood coagulates, it'll be the Sharks still swimming - in seven! (And anyway, Elvis really is dead.)

So, there you have my first round predictions. If I understand properly, the teams get re-seeded in the next round so I can't make predictions now. (Did I get this right?)

Stay tuned for future predictions and remember where you heard this first.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to know will you take some bets with me right now ? No readng a paper before you answer, nor looking at channel 6 on your tube.

I guarantee you that Tampa will not win in 4. I say $100 is good okay? ;)

New York, New York versus a team with an oxymoron name. Hmmm. The New York Islanders? I'm betting that's not Manhattan. Buffalo wings are good. So, I go with the Sabres.

Islander already lost on Wed . Sabres should....should go all the way. But they will likely have to go thru Ottawa (uggh) and if they beat Pens, then it will be a hard road.

New Jersey Devils

Tampa Bay Lightning

This one's a no brainer. Tampa Bay has to win because a) there are two really cool bridges in Tampa, B) any hockey team in Florida has to win just on moxy and c) nothing much good ever came from New Jersey. Tampa in four!

Well.....considering that Tampa is down 1-0 in games already....cane we finalize that bet now? Jersey in 6

Atlanta Thrashers

New York Rangers

NY already up 1-0 in games.Atlanta has too much firepower for NY. Atl in 6

Ottawa Senators

Pittsburgh Penguins

Black tie senators against perky penguins - Imagine! As much as I hate the place, I'll choose Ottawa if only to tantalize them for a while and then finish them off in another round. Ottawa in seven!

Tough one. Sens looked like killers the other night. But then again they did against TO a few times only to lose. So IF the Pens can win tonight, and IF the pens can take it home and go up a game, then this should be the marquee matchup of all this rears playoffs. Fun to watch...only if Pens win. If Sens win.....my nieces will be horrible to be around all summer. Payback truely will be a bitch.

Detroit Red Wings

Calgary Flames

I know Gordie Howe played for Detroit but I'll appeal to the local crowd. Calgary in six!

Agreed but in seven. Detroit is too good and in my estimation Hasek is due to go down any moment so thats why Flames in in 7.

Anaheim Ducks

Minnesota Wild

Anaheim should...should win. All prognosticators have said to watch out for Minny. No idea where this one will go.

Vancouver Canucks

Dallas Stars

Only because of Luongo do I want Van to move on. But should Modano come alive-lookout.

Nashville Predators

San Jose Sharks

Sharks in 6 , Preds too good to go down that quick.

You have most of it right.

So...the bet?

;)

I just want to know will you take some bets with me right now ? No readng a paper before you answer, nor looking at channel 6 on your tube.

I guarantee you that Tampa will not win in 4. I say $100 is good okay? ;)

Uh... Did I get this wrong? Did Tampa already lose?

No problem. Tampa in six!

----

Professional sports are fun. Everything happens with simple numbers and exclamation marks.

Point spread? 12!

Here is something to consider.

The Vancouver Canucks joined the expansion NHL in the '70-'71 season, and have made it to the finals every twelfth season since. There first run was doing the '81-'82 season where they lost to an Islanders 4 game sweep in the final. Their second run was during the '93-'94 season where they took the Rangers to game 7 and only lost by one point. If you discount the lost '04-'05 season, this is the 12th season since losing to the Rangers in the cup final. So my prediction: The final will consist of Vancouver vs Buffalo (another NY based team).....the outcome I will not say for fear of jinxing it.

Calgary over Detroit?? I think you guys are smoking something, but it would be cool to see.

As for who makes it to the finals, for me the jury is still way way out. Playoffs are so unpredictable, and right now I see a lot of teams that could go the distance. I would love to see Ottawa do it.....but there are a lot of good teams. We got Buffalo, Detroit, The Devils, Vancouver.....all great teams. And what about the Islanders who just squeaked in, could they possibly pull of some big upsets. I wouldnt mind seeing that either. Marty Turco and the Dallas Stars have been playing some good hockey in the Vancouver series. And I can go on and on......naming why all these teams have great chances. So basically....I am just gonna cheer for who I like in each series and see what happens.

As for what I would like to see right now....(Note: not in any way suggesting that any or all of this will happen)

Isles upset Buffalo

Rangers over Atlanta

Ottawa over Pittsburgh

San Jose over Nashville

Devils over Tampa

Vancouver over Dallas

Anaheim over Minnesota

Calgary over Detroit or possibly Detroit over Calgary (i really dunno....i kind of like the red wings....they got a couple old hab favourites of mine: Matt Schneider and Chris Chelios)

The Senators used to be my third team, after Toronto and Montreal. Then I learned what complete asses Senators fans were to Leafs fans, with petty theft and vandalism. Now, The Sens are my eight team, behind the Jets and the Nordiques, hehehe...

The only thing worth stealing from The Maple Leafs was Gary Roberts

and now he's playing for Pittsburgh,scored against us today,Mr Muckler,

why the hell didn't you sign him when you had the chance,if we lose to the Penguins

I'm gonna pull my hair out!

I'm not making this comment to you leonard, but to the Senator Nation. Your team loses ONE game and reports say you are freaking out over it, bringing up past failures and repeating it to each other.

You need to get a grip and support your team. Negative shit will only hurt the team. Don't even think about the past. Phone up and shout down stupid talk show hosts that can't get with the program. Freak out at twits that want to boo the team at times. You are all Senators, you are only booing yourselves. Be the sixth man on the ice and start making positive mojo for the team.

It may sound crazy, but your team needs to feel your love not your accusations. Negative shit WILL HAVE AN AFFECT.

New York, New York versus a team with an oxymoron name. Hmmm. The New York Islanders? I'm betting that's not Manhattan.

Long Island. :P

http://tinyurl.com/yqal99

I am cheering for the Islanders this year because even though the Oilers are not in the playoffs, Ryan Smyth is.

-k

I'm not making this comment to you leonard, but to the Senator Nation. Your team loses ONE game and reports say you are freaking out over it, bringing up past failures and repeating it to each other.

You need to get a grip and support your team. Negative shit will only hurt the team. Don't even think about the past. Phone up and shout down stupid talk show hosts that can't get with the program. Freak out at twits that want to boo the team at times. You are all Senators, you are only booing yourselves. Be the sixth man on the ice and start making positive mojo for the team.

It may sound crazy, but your team needs to feel your love not your accusations. Negative shit WILL HAVE AN AFFECT.

We can't help it,when we came into the league

we were happy with just having a team,

identifying with the players , then as the wins increased

we started to have higher aspirations and expectations,

never mind the financial problems that became a thorn

in our side until we were rescued by Eugene Melnyk,

Never mind the disaster that was Alexander Daigle,

the Diva that was Alexei Yashin,bad coaches'

all we wanted was a winner, for whatever reason we

only like teams that win.[Toronto ,take note]

Too many early playoff exits from teams we should have

beaten have made us skittish to the extreme.

Last year we should have went much further,not we're missing

Chara, Havlat and look what Hasek has done with Detroit and

with Gerber being a bust, ah... it's not easy

Another embarassing loss for the Flames. Boys and girls, we need a miracle! Good thing the Flames are the best home team in the league, look for them to pick up 2 back at the Dome.

Unfortunately, they need to win one on the road to win the series... Detroit may prove to want it just that much more.