Why Doesn't the US Respect Canada More?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
Forgive me, you not a commie, youre Canadian, now I understand.

Sorry, but you don't understand at all. I'm a bilingual American. I speak both American and Canadian, and being that American is my first language, I'm flattered that you think I sound pretty Canadian. Means my Canadian must be quite good. B)

Sorry, but you don't understand at all. I'm a bilingual American. I speak both American and Canadian, and being that American is my first language, I'm flattered that you think I sound pretty Canadian. Means my Canadian must be quite good. B)
Typical American. You think that you can make freinds and influence people by being liberal.

Huh?? What in God's name are you talking about? :blink:

Who cares if the US does not respect Canada. What do you expect, when respect is the mutual trasphere of power- when real power is the granting of power - when America sucks up power and gives none - when America thinks that fear is repect - what do you expect from a nation that we have quietly ruled since the revolution of 1776 - Britain simply handed over the reins to us and America is just a very large and dull minded servant.

What makes you assume that Bluffwimp is Canadian?-- Sounds like a dumbass American to me.

Lol. Let's just call him a dumbass. Let's be fair both countries have their share.

Here is the real point. It doesn't matter what Americans think. When one defines their identity whether it be on a personal or on a collective level it should be based on positive feelings generated by the individual or group NOT other groups.

I mean think about it. If I do not respect myself, does it matter what others think of me?

Maybe it is because I am older now I have learned to accept myself and not worry what others think. Could be. But I think it is a sign of national imaturity when a country frets about what other countries think about it.

If someone does not respect Canada good for them. I only care if they go the next step and take that lack of respect and think they can come to Canada and spread it or endanger Canadians.

Until it becomes a danger to my peace and security, its free speech. Who cares. Someone hates beavers, fine. I can live with that. I am Canadian. What we say to that is, gosh darn, that's too bad. Here why not come ahead of me in line, and you know what, now that I know you have no respect for me, please, come live here anyways. That's cool. In this country we all have many cultural views as to what is respectful. Just try not to burn anyone or kill anyone. We might have to give you a 6 month jail sentence.

Oopsy. I got cynical. Sorry.

Guest American Woman
Lol. Let's just call him a dumbass. Let's be fair both countries have their share.

That's so very true, but this particular dumbass happens to be an American. :P

Here is the real point. It doesn't matter what Americans think. When one defines their identity whether it be on a personal or on a collective level it should be based on positive feelings generated by the individual or group NOT other groups.

I mean think about it. If I do not respect myself, does it matter what others think of me?

I agree, but you're talking about respect on a personal level, whereas the thread is about respecting the nation. As such, I would like my nation to have respect. I don't think it has had a lot under Bush, but I think respect is a good thing for a nation. I think we got the help we did after 9-11 because we were respected as a nation.

Maybe it is because I am older now I have learned to accept myself and not worry what others think. Could be. But I think it is a sign of national imaturity when a country frets about what other countries think about it.

"Fretting" about what other countries think of it is one thing, but hoping that one's government's actions begets respect from other nations is another thing entirely, I think.

If someone does not respect Canada good for them. I only care if they go the next step and take that lack of respect and think they can come to Canada and spread it or endanger Canadians.

If individuals don't respect Canada, I think that's different from the world as a whole not respecting Canada. Maybe I'm reading what this thread is about wrong, but that's the way I'm taking it. And in that light, of course it's just the opinion of the poster who started the thread that the US doesn't respect Canada as much as it should.

Until it becomes a danger to my peace and security, its free speech. Who cares. Someone hates beavers, fine. I can live with that. I am Canadian. What we say to that is, gosh darn, that's too bad. Here why not come ahead of me in line, and you know what, now that I know you have no respect for me, please, come live here anyways. That's cool. In this country we all have many cultural views as to what is respectful. Just try not to burn anyone or kill anyone. We might have to give you a 6 month jail sentence.

Oopsy. I got cynical. Sorry.

Nothing wrong with a wee bit of cynicism. ;) But not liking beavers is a stupid, unfounded reason for not respecting Canada. :P On the other hand, there can be legitimate reasons why a country isn't respected, and if that's the case, I don't think the lack of respect is something that can just be dismissed as unimportant.

How can you respect a nation that has no self identity, no self respect. A nation that considers it more important to adapt to immigrants than the other way around.

That is the starting point.

Blame it all on dysfunctional politics that has created Canada being the equivlent of the problematic AIG.

There is no answer for Canada until we find ourselves as a single united political body.

Great, lets start with a false premise. Any other bright ideas?

False premise?

Let's dig into it shall we?

An official policy of multiculturalism. Essentially this means we believe in everything. Which is tantamount to believing in nothing.

Turbans on RCMP officers? heck why not!

Ontario government spousal benefits for polygamists? hey ok!!

Banning cartoons, books and speech because some cultures find them "offensive"? No problem!

Defending the rights of a traitor who fought on the enemy's side of the Afghan war? SURE!

Using taxpayer money to send planes to Lebanon to resuce "Canadian citizens" who support hezbollah, only to see them return back HOME (Lebanon) once their Canadian passport of convenience had served it's purpose? A-OK!!!

It was once said that Canada is the world's biggest hotel. Look around. What is Canada? What is our identity? Please. I would love to hear your reply to this.

I ask you, would you even THINK to move to india, join the police force and then demand that they change their uniforms for you?

As Mark Steyn once said, multiculturalism is a UNI-cultural phenomenon - it only occurs here. You can't go to Saudi Arabia and be multicultural - they'll cut your head off or hang you.

The United States is the last of the western countries to actually be poud of who they are and what they believe in - their identity. The rest of western europe and Canada are stuck in a self hating, self blaming vortex of eagerness to give up our identity, our beliefs and our culture to anyone who asks - or demands.

False premise? I'm turning the tables on you. The idea of a Canadian identity, one that we can be proud of, is the false premise.

I defy you to prove otherwise.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

As Mark Steyn once said, multiculturalism is a UNI-cultural phenomenon - it only occurs here. You can't go to Saudi Arabia and be multicultural - they'll cut your head off or hang you.I

Is this is the type of "uni-culturalism" you are touting? Surely you do not want Canada to be emulate the Saudis! Or do you think their "uni-cultural" system is superior to ours?

False premise?

Let's dig into it shall we?

Yes lets...

An official policy of multiculturalism. Essentially this means we believe in everything. Which is tantamount to believing in nothing.

We need people. Doesnt mean we have changed anything that is or was Canadian.

Turbans on RCMP officers? heck why not!

Whats the problem? The stetson was stolen from the Americans.....oops, I guess that change was okay but not the new change.

Ontario government spousal benefits for polygamists? hey ok!!

Check your facts. Can more than one wife recieve?

Banning cartoons, books and speech because some cultures find them "offensive"? No problem!

Suchas...?

Defending the rights of a traitor who fought on the enemy's side of the Afghan war? SURE!

He is a Canadian and has due process. That little thing about being a citizen sticks in your craw does it? Too bad , but lets not forget that we have home grown traitors in this country too.

Using taxpayer money to send planes to Lebanon to resuce "Canadian citizens" who support hezbollah, only to see them return back HOME (Lebanon) once their Canadian passport of convenience had served it's purpose? A-OK!!!

Canadians in trouble. Govt pulls them out. Govt wont easily make that mistake again.Didnt cost much.

I like that the govt took the gamble. Hope they think about it or institute new rules going forward.

It was once said that Canada is the world's biggest hotel. Look around. What is Canada? What is our identity? Please. I would love to hear your reply to this.

A really big nation thats snowy most of the year. Great people, kind , considerate, tolerant (well mosty anyway) well educated , love peameal bacon, hockey maple syrup and the LEAFS ('cept mdancer but ignore him)

I ask you, would you even THINK to move to india, join the police force and then demand that they change their uniforms for you?

Nope, nope and no ones uniform was changed.

Oh wait, you mean the yellow striped pants and the baseball caps/std police hats they were like at the airport?

As Mark Steyn once said, multiculturalism is a UNI-cultural phenomenon - it only occurs here. You can't go to Saudi Arabia and be multicultural - they'll cut your head off or hang you.

Mark Steyn doesnt get out much does he?

Me loves Lil Havana in Miama. Everything is in Spanish, I mean everything, from the govt services to the food, to the signs on the roads.

Me loves lil mexico in Arizona. Same as Miami , but without the water.

Me loves California , same as Arizona and Miami but without the heat and better looking womenz.

The United States is the last of the western countries to actually be poud of who they are and what they believe in - their identity.

Pretty much true, 'cept they accomodate people too. Kind of like....oh ....Canada. Who knew? ..ahem....

The rest of western europe and Canada are stuck in a self hating, self blaming vortex of eagerness to give up our identity, our beliefs and our culture to anyone who asks - or demands.

oh boy....those Italians, French, Spainards, Portuguese....they must really hate themselves. They probably cheer for the other countries team at the World Cup.

False premise? I'm turning the tables on you. The idea of a Canadian identity, one that we can be proud of, is the false premise.

I defy you to prove otherwise.

Going back to your earlier post, I can understand how you may think this way, but in any event , a false premise is what you are left with.

Canada, Vive le Canada

il buon vecchio Canada

bom Canadá velho

buen Canadá viejo

Is this is the type of "uni-culturalism" you are touting? Surely you do not want Canada to be emulate the Saudis! Or do you think their "uni-cultural" system is superior to ours?

No. I'm not talking about emulating their practices. However, theirs (and most other countries in the world, save for a half dozen or so in western europe and north america) is a society with confidence and pride in what THEY believe in, even over and above other cultures.

If the saudis (and most other nations) can walk around, confident and proud of the bullshit midievil crap they practice, couldn't Canada at least stop bashing ourselves and insisting to eachother that we bend over backwards to "understand" backward-ass traditions of other cultures (a hijab or burqa wuold be good examples), and instead gain some of our own cultural confidence?

How is it that our society takes pride in making fun of cowboys or rednecks, and simultaneously cow tow and tippy toe around some chick in a full burqa? Given the choice between the two, certainly a chick in a sheet is the more comedic.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

couldn't Canada at least stop bashing ourselves

I don't know, are you going to stop? You are speaking out against what are basically long held Canadian values, so in essence, your bashing this country.

Edited by Smallc

A really big nation thats snowy most of the year. Great people, kind , considerate, tolerant (well mosty anyway) well educated , love peameal bacon, hockey maple syrup and the LEAFS ('cept mdancer but ignore him)

You can stop there. You're from Toronto. You have a delusional CBC forcefed view of the world. nuff said.

Going back to your earlier post, I can understand how you may think this way, but in any event , a false premise is what you are left with.

I'm still waiting for someone to define the "canadian identity".... the REAL false premise

By the way, I don't care what your citizenship is. If you fight for the other side in a war, you don't deserve shit. You're a traitor.

The Khadr example is an excellent microcosm of Canada. Heck, as a Canadian citizen when the draft card arrives in the mail, just check "Canada" or "Enemy" according to taste. (stole that last part from steyn haha).

This is what's wrong with our country. We hate ourselves so much, we'd rather accord rights to someone who committed treason than win a war.

The guy was fighting to kill and defeat Canada, and now wants to assert his CITIZENSHIP? what a fucking joke.

but I'm still waiting for someone to define the "canadian identity"....

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

couldn't Canada at least stop bashing ourselves and insisting to eachother that we bend over backwards to "understand" backward-ass traditions of other cultures (a hijab or burqa wuold be good examples), and instead gain some of our own cultural confidence?

Ahh...so you want them all to dress alike, to dress "canadian" and lose any cultural ties that might indicate where they are from. But of course the hijab and the burqa are not the only ones.

Start picking on the orthodox jews and the funny yarmulkes and the curly ringlets they wear. (I dare ya)

Start picking on the Hutterites and the Kitchener gangs with their wagons and dull dresscode.

Start picking on the Dukhobors in BC with their practice of having all the old ladies attend court naked ....ok that one I really do wish you would try.

How is it that our society takes pride in making fun of cowboys or rednecks, and simultaneously cow tow and tippy toe around some chick in a full burqa? Given the choice between the two, certainly a chick in a sheet is the more comedic.

Cuz rednecks are stupid and their homes are on wheels? They use their front yards as auto depots and lose the kids in the tall grass ?

Yes that is so much more lame the hi jinks some hijab wearing woman is doing whilst making her rounds in the city.

Sorry Billybob, gotta go !

Adios, sayanora, arrivederci

You can stop there. You're from Toronto. You have a delusional CBC forcefed view of the world. nuff said.

Too funny. Dont watch much of CBC save for a few things.

Wanna bet ratings for CBC are much higher outside of TO than in?

I'm still waiting for someone to define the "canadian identity".... the REAL false premise

Ne our guest, have a go at it.

By the way, I don't care what your citizenship is. If you fight for the other side in a war, you don't deserve shit. You're a traitor.

Might be, but no matter what, you get to have your rights.

The Khadr example is an excellent microcosm of Canada. Heck, as a Canadian citizen when the draft card arrives in the mail, just check "Canada" or "Enemy" according to taste. (stole that last part from steyn haha).

Draft card? Que pasa?

This is what's wrong with our country. We hate ourselves so much, we'd rather accord rights to someone who committed treason than win a war.

No, it is becoming apparent you hate Canada. But thats okay, its your right to do so, and I will defend your redneck to say what you want.

See how that works?

B ut this time I really got to go.

No Shit?

Bullies are "confident"?

So that bully who beats his peers for fun is "confident"? Yah think?

:lol:

Confidence is when you can be a big enough nation to help others instead of forcing yourself down their throats and lying to the citizenry as to why you're doing it.

I'm CONFIDENT! If you don't like or respect me, I will just kill you!

That is called "fear" not "respect".

No Shit?

Bullies are "confident"?

So that bully who beats his peers for fun is "confident"? Yah think?

Confidence is when you can be a big enough nation to help others instead of forcing yourself down their throats and lying to the citizenry as to why you're doing it.

I'm CONFIDENT! If you don't like or respect me, I will just kill you!

That is called "fear" not "respect".

What the heck are you talking about? Where to begin.

Well, first let's discuss your comment about being a "big enough nation to help others".

OK, the ASIAN TSUNAMI. WHo was there FIRST, UNILATERALLY with aricraft carriers full of food, water and supplies, while the UN clusterfuck dillydallied around with bureaucrats pissing about who should do what and where for DAYS? That's right, the USA.

Who gives more money than any other nation in the world to starving nations in need? That's right, the USA.

Who's citizens give more to charity per capita than any other nation in the world? That's right, the USA.

Saddam Hussein was a murderous, fasict dictator who, among other things, killed 5,000 of his own people using chemical gas in Halabja.

Under UN resolution 1441 specifically stated:

That Iraq was in material breach of the ceasefire terms presented under the terms of Resolution 687. United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441 is a resolution by the UN Security Council, passed unanimously on November 8, 2002, offering Iraq "a final opportunity to comply with its disarmament obligations" that had been set out in several previous resolutions.

What good is a united nations resolution with no teeth? Not enforcing such a resolution says to thug states everywhere: do whatever you want, we can't stop you!

The US chose to unilaterally enforce this resolution. And to free the Iraqi people from a murderous, brutal fascist dictator.

Oh, and in terms of killing people, that's what you usually do when you're at war with your enemy: kill them. It's called war, which they're winning, by the way.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

What the heck are you talking about? Where to begin.

Its drea..why bother?

OK, the ASIAN TSUNAMI. WHo was there FIRST, UNILATERALLY with aricraft carriers full of food, water and supplies, while the UN clusterfuck dillydallied around with bureaucrats pissing about who should do what and where for DAYS? That's right, the USA.

India was first.

India, USA, Japan and Australia formed a coaltion to co-ordinate relief efforts but turned it over the the UN on January 6th.

Who gives more money than any other nation in the world to starving nations in need? That's right, the USA.

In straight dollars or GDP? In dollars, the USA. They are the 2nd largest economy on earth and numbers 3-10 arent on par collectively.

In GDP? Id rather not thanks. Very generous? Americans, yes they are.

Who's citizens give more to charity per capita than any other nation in the world? That's right, the USA.

This guy dosnt agree...."the Boston Globe's Charles Senott (12/31/04), who wrote in his second sentence that "both on a per capita basis and as a percentage of the nation's wealth, America's emergency relief in Asia and development aid to poor countries actually ranks at the bottom of the list of developed nations."

That said, the Americans are generous and I have no arguement on what they do. But I think some factual content is relevant here.