Why Doesn't the US Respect Canada More?

The canadian militia and british troops, walk into the white house and drank their booze ate their food had their way with the women and burnt down the whitehouse and went home with a hangover.

"The White House burned burned burned, and we're the ones that did it. It burned burned burned, and Madison ran and cried".

Arrogant Worms, War of 1812.

Edited by jbg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would even venture a guess that Canadians think about Americans more the Americans think about Canadians. That's the problem, Canada has an inferiority complex. I think it started right around the time Trudeau took power. Before that we knew who we were then he decided to change everything.

I would even venture a guess that Canadians think about Americans more the Americans think about Canadians. That's the problem, Canada has an inferiority complex. I think it started right around the time Trudeau took power. Before that we knew who we were then he decided to change everything.

I suppose that is one way to better understand such behaviour....when/why did it start in the first place? What is lacking in the collective Canadian identity that makes it reach across the border for != definition?

You don't speak for all Canadians as you seem to suggest. Please confine that inferiority complex to yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I think the problem is that the US has not behaved well under the last couple of administrations. Canadians have a lower opinion of the US government and its policies than we have in the past. And Americans basically agree. Obama and Bush have proven to be lack lustre and unpopular presidents, and congress has an insanely low approval rating.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canadians-losing-their-desire-to-co-operate-with-u-s-on-key-issues-poll-1.2045679

Canada is losing its appetite for co-operating with the United States as both countries drift apart on issues of national security, border safety and counter-terrorism, according to a survey of 1,000 random citizens in each country.

Canadians are more bullish about pursuing their own national interests and feel closer to Britain than the United States on family values and human rights, according to the annual survey by Nanos Research. However, Americans still feel they share a lot in common with Canadians and are more willing to co-operate, the poll suggests.

"Although erosion for the appetite for co-operation on national security policies has occurred in both countries, the drop has been much more dramatic in Canada," the Nanos report says.

The annual survey – a partnership between Nanos and the State University of New York at Buffalo – was conducted by randomly phoning 1,000 Canadians on cell and land-lines in late August. Another 1,000 Americans were questioned online in a random representative survey. Nanos compared the data to its own identical surveys dating back to 2005 to chart trends in public opinion on Canada-U.S. relations on both sides of the border.

I think these changes of attitude can be found in most countries, and that they are reflection of the failure of the US to be an effective global leader in the last 15 years or so.

Beyond that though the relationship is still strong, and Canadians and Americans get along perfectly fine.

It went in the ditch years ago. At least for most.

It is a board rule that if you use other material on the internet, including from this board, you have to attribute it. That is what I'm doing.