Why Doesn't the US Respect Canada More?

Most people in the USA don't even know we are up here let alone have respect for us.

...'cept JBG who is salivatating to become a Canadian -- pretending he knows every proof is a proof. Pfffffft.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JBG, you dumbass. Canadians were dieing in Europe long before Gregory Peck, George C Scott and John Wayne were making movies. Go fu*k yourself. Really. Go fu*k yourself.
Reported.

Most people in the USA don't even know we are up here let alone have respect for us.

...'cept JBG who is salivatating to become a Canadian -- pretending he knows every proof is a proof. Pfffffft.

Salivating to become a Canadian? I think not. I respect Canada and Canadians. That's it.

How does this guy Higgly survive on this forum? He has only one way of talking, and it is worse than Imus ever was.

Same way Mike Milbury kept his job...must have nude pics of someone important.
Who is Mike Milbury?

Who is Mike Milbury?

Milbury was the NY Islanders GM for a number of years and every year he made very very strange trades and signings that most could never understand. They sucked all those years, but finally mangmt moved him up a level and he gave the reigns...finally....to Garth Snow.

It was a long standing joke that Milbury "must have nude pics of Wang" (wang was the owner)

Getting back to the topic, how can a country that allows traitors 58 ridings in Parliament with impunity be said to be proud of itself? Americans, and inquiring minds, wonder.

We settled that between 1861 and 1865.

Getting back to the topic, how can a country that allows traitors 58 ridings in Parliament with impunity be said to be proud of itself? Americans, and inquiring minds, wonder.

As Rene Levesque said, Canadians are a civilized people.

I would not call the South traitors. At the time of the CW, the nation was only about 80 years old. It was formed by a sign on to the Constitution of many smaller states, and just as Quebec has a right to leave Canada, the South had a right to leave the Union. IMO. The Declaration of Independence said it in the 'when in the course of human events' phrase.

Oh, and JBG, I did not want to bring it up as a topic, but did you get to see Soros's statement about the Israel lobby in the US? And unlike Carter, Soros is a Jew.

That may be so but I don't think our continuing national unity soap opera is anything to be proud of.

That may be so but I don't think our continuing national unity soap opera is anything to be proud of.

No. Nor is it something to be ashamed of. Its the normal run of politics in a free democracy

No. Nor is it something to be ashamed of. Its the normal run of politics in a free democracy

It may be part of politics in a free democracy but it is not a normal situation in the majority of free democracies. It bares a greater resemblance to the Balkans, only without the bloodshed. So far.

It does not specify how many of the the 22nd (French Canadian) Infantry Battalion were killed but only identifies 4000 as wounded and killed.
22nd Battalion was from Quebec. Took astonishing casualties.

It does not specify how many of the the 22nd (French Canadian) Infantry Battalion were killed but only identifies 4000 as wounded and killed.

22nd Battalion was from Quebec. Took astonishing casualties.

Like Wilber was saying that usually there are only 1,000 troops in a Battalion.

So what are you talking about here?

Please post proof relating to actual number of killed and actual number wounded, relating to the 22 Battalion.

The 22nd is a regiment. A regiment can contain several battalions. During wartime it is quite usual for a regiment to raise extra battalions. Even if the 22nd was a four battalion regiment during world WW1 and all of them went overseas, that could mean every member of those four battalions who originally went to France would have become a casualty. Nothing to sneeze at.

This thread has strayed. The original question related to current Canadian self-respect of the lack thereof. I think most would agree that the French-Canadians contributed to both World Wars, but not in proportion to their numbers.

This thread is not about, primarily, Vimy Ridge or Dieppe, but about Canada's lack of pride in their positive roles in both places. Further, most Americans know something about the Battle of Valley Forge or the Battle of Gettysburg (sp). Not many Canadians seem to know about the Plains of Abraham. The thread was about knowledge and pride, not the details of the particular battles (though military history does interest me).

This thread is ... about Canada's lack of pride in their positive roles in both places. Further, most Americans know something about the Battle of Valley Forge or the Battle of Gettysburg (sp). Not many Canadians seem to know about the Plains of Abraham. The thread was about knowledge and pride, not the details of the particular battles (though military history does interest me).

I don't understand the relationship of won/lost battles to 'Pride'. Probably never will. No big loss to me. If won battles = national pride then Communist Russia has very much to be proud of, and Quebecers nothing to be proud of. What is it about Vimy Ridge or the Plains of Abraham that Canadians should feel national pride about? Why do Americans feel pride about Valley Forge? or do they?

I don't understand the relationship of won/lost battles to 'Pride'. Probably never will. No big loss to me. If won battles = national pride then Communist Russia has very much to be proud of, and Quebecers nothing to be proud of. What is it about Vimy Ridge or the Plains of Abraham that Canadians should feel national pride about? Why do Americans feel pride about Valley Forge? or do they?

Russia does have reason to be proud of battles fought and won..they are very proud. France...not so much!

Russia does have reason to be proud of battles fought and won..they are very proud. France...not so much!

But the French feel pride nontheless. So military victories are neither here nor there.

That usually evokes a "yeah what ever" responce from me...But I have been to France and I have seen the monuments and the vast cemetaries of French war dead...not just from the world wars but from the franco prussian wars of the late 19th century and the Napoleanic wars of the early 19th century....

France like Germany doesn't have the luxary of an ocean to cross or a 1000 miles of steppes to traverse, all of her fighting has been up close and personal, so maybe they can be forgivin for a little pride in having stepped up and fought invaders not once, not twice but three times in 100 years.

This probably left the poor barfly clueless as how to defend against a pro, instead of countering with the 'what does that have to do with' arguement. It is the same thing as beating him up.
What qualifies a poor old country bankruptcy lawyer as a pro?

Sure sure, that's what Barnaby Jones always says just before he puts someone in jail.

Won or lost is not the issue, it's about pride in what your fellow countrymen past and present have been prepared to do for their country. No big loss to you? Perhaps it would be, but for them.

This thread is ... about Canada's lack of pride in their positive roles in both places. Further, most Americans know something about the Battle of Valley Forge or the Battle of Gettysburg (sp). Not many Canadians seem to know about the Plains of Abraham. The thread was about knowledge and pride, not the details of the particular battles (though military history does interest me).
Because the Yanks at Valley Forge and the Canadians at Vimy Ridge were fighting for the right of people to be free.