Vimy Ridge

The committee had extended invitations that were not passed on, isn't that the case?

Invitations were not passed on.

According to Canuck's standards, Harper is a no good bastard who should burn in hell for not attending D-Day events, right?

I think Dion should have gone to the event but let's just say that Harper has set the standard for not attending historic events even when he has gotten an invitation.

The Star or Canada.com?

OTTAWA — Opposition party members have been invited to attend the 90th anniversary ceremony of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in France next week.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper extended the invitation on Friday after opposition leaders expressed disappointment that they were not invited.

March 30,2007 Harper offers opposition seats to Vimy commemoration

"We also expect to joined by Michael Ignatieff, deputy Liberal leader, Joe

Comartin of the NDP, and Roger Gaudet of the Bloc Quebecois. Speaker Peter

Milliken is also set to travel to Vimy."

Toronto Star

Martin had cancelled his plans for the trip, citing fears the opposition might topple his minority government. He changed course and invited the three rival leaders after public accusations that political leaders were ignoring Canada's veterans.

Earlier, in 2004, Liberals say Martin invited Harper and Layton to France to mark the 60th anniversary of the D-Day invasion – during a federal election – but both stayed in Ottawa

If you're going to burn someone on Hell,make sure the burning includes Martin and Layton.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that is a reason they could not go?

Three thousand kids went,without Harper's invite or the taxpayer's dime.

Maybe the opposition could do the same,because they actually feel and think it's important enough to go,invite or not.

But we know they don't feel that way about the military,past or present.

The kids did go on the taxpayers dime. School divisions, city governments, provinces and some federal grants are all paying for the trip.

Harper had no excuse for not inviting the Opposition to the delegation. Dion had no excuse for not going.

Pox on both their houses.

One media reported that the students raised the money themselves for their trip. Dion is busy at a memorial in Montreal and could not attend the ceremony at Vimy. Instead he asked Ignatiff to go since Michael I's father was the Ambassador to France at that time. M.I. is not there officially as only Steve and his family are on the official list. The Bloc and NDP are also sending an MP to "unofficially" represent them.

And that is a reason they could not go?

Three thousand kids went,without Harper's invite or the taxpayer's dime.

Maybe the opposition could do the same,because they actually feel and think it's important enough to go,invite or not.

But we know they don't feel that way about the military,past or present.

The kids did go on the taxpayers dime. School divisions, city governments, provinces and some federal grants are all paying for the trip.

Harper had no excuse for not inviting the Opposition to the delegation. Dion had no excuse for not going.

Pox on both their houses.

CBC

The students raised the money to pay for their travel and other costs on the trip. Taxpayers are paying for more than 100 government officials to attend the ceremony, along with 20 veterans, 300 armed forces personnel and 20 Mounties.

Dion the French citizen should have gone to show his appreciation of Canadian soldiers.There is absolutely no excuse,he should have pretended he had balls.

Dion had been invited to take part in a ceremony in Montreal. Steve should have had the decency to invite the Opposition party leaders. This action by Steve shows what a low down *&^ he really is.

One media reported that the students raised the money themselves for their trip. Dion is busy at a memorial in Montreal and could not attend the ceremony at Vimy. Instead he asked Ignatiff to go since Michael I's father was the Ambassador to France at that time. M.I. is not there officially as only Steve and his family are on the official list. The Bloc and NDP are also sending an MP to "unofficially" represent them.

I don't know what money was raised in other jurisdictions. I have school board notices here that said the school, the division, city and province helped students with money for the trip. They even mentioned the federal money for a lunch which now turns out to be false.

I think Dion should have gone but also that Harper should have invited the Opposition. He did seem to have room on his plane to take his kids.

No objection to Stephane Dion participating, but after members of the NDP have accused our armed forces of terrorism, I don't think Jack Layton has any need to be at military ceremonies.

-k

The Star or Canada.com?
OTTAWA — Opposition party members have been invited to attend the 90th anniversary ceremony of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in France next week.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper extended the invitation on Friday after opposition leaders expressed disappointment that they were not invited.

He offered seats after being prodded to do so and only late in the game.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...03?hub=Politics

Robert Fife, CTV's Ottawa bureau chief, pronounced a pox on all their houses.

"The prime minister should have invited the other opposition leaders without having to be prodded," he said.

"Having said that, there is no excuse for Stephane Dion and (Bloc Quebecois) Leader Gilles Duceppe not re-arranging their schedules to go to Vimy."

So once again, I say both the PM and the Opposition were asses about the whole thing.

The Star or Canada.com?

He offered seats after being prodded to do so and only late in the game.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...03?hub=Politics

Robert Fife, CTV's Ottawa bureau chief, pronounced a pox on all their houses.

"The prime minister should have invited the other opposition leaders without having to be prodded," he said.

"Having said that, there is no excuse for Stephane Dion and (Bloc Quebecois) Leader Gilles Duceppe not re-arranging their schedules to go to Vimy."

So once again, I say both the PM and the Opposition were asses about the whole thing.

So once again I say that Dion had a previous committment and Michael Ignatieff will be attending Vimy in France instead. http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/Apri...7/04/c2114.html

Dion also felt it was personally important for Ignatieff to attend the service at Vimy because his father had been the Canadian representative on the 50th anniversary in 1967 when he was U.N. Ambassador. (not France as I had previously said) Plus the Opposition was not invited to attend -officially- and were not invited to be part of the ceremony but just audience props for Steve.

But I can see that by attacking Dion the harpercrites feel better about what a lousy leader Steve has turned out to be and how Steve has turned even Vimy into a political photo-op for just himself.

But I can see that by attacking Dion the harpercrites feel better about what a lousy leader Steve has turned out to be and how Steve has turned even Vimy into a political photo-op for just himself.

I'd hardly call myself a Harper supporter.

I'd hardly call myself a Harper supporter.

Many who are atacking Dion on this issue are.

It is precisely because of the horrors of war that moments of definition come from it. Participation in war is often the standard by which a man measures himself. That's hard to understand for folks who haven't been there, and very hard to understand for feminized men, one of whom will no doubt immediately leap up with a petty line item snipe, but it's true nonetheless....
What utter nonsense you write.

Really, August. Whatever gave you the impression ScottSA was referring to you as "a feminized man"?

It is precisely because of the horrors of war that moments of definition come from it. Participation in war is often the standard by which a man measures himself. That's hard to understand for folks who haven't been there, and very hard to understand for feminized men, one of whom will no doubt immediately leap up with a petty line item snipe, but it's true nonetheless.

Have you served in a war?

Woody Allen, I knew that Jew was up to no good.

I personally find the men who always talk about how masculine they are, are usually the weakest ones in the bunch. They're usually afraid of women, gays, and minorities, and will take any oppurtunity to bash those groups. Its pretty infantile if you ask me.

what are feminized men?

Vimy ceremonies are non-sense IMV. A waste of taxpayers dollars and a photo op for Harpy ala GW Bush's infamous air craft carrier calling the war over.

Catchme do you know what happened at Vimy Ridge?

I don't know if you know this, but it was a pretty big deal...

geoffrey:

I don't take pride in the fact that some unrelated people suffered for the freedom of some of Europe versus the rest of Europe. I thank them for their sacrifice, but I'm definitely not proud of it. I think Canadians (and most people in the world evidently) are arrogant for being proud of something they had no hand in. People don't need to die to define a nation (how I'm defined by Vimy, I'm unsure).

Why we should be proud, not just of the accomplishments at vimy, but our entire sacrafice in WWI, which is why the Vimy monument was erected.

We started the War as a dominon of the British empire, our policical masters had little say in how our own war effort was to be used. We ended the War,strenghtened ,united, as Canadians instead just immigrants from other nations...fighting under the dominon of Canada ensign as Canadians, our polictical masters had a seat at the table of global polictics, and thier voices were being heard....Thats something to be proud of.

At the time Canadians were made up of people from across the globe, having left thier parent countries for a better life, coming to Canada to carve a better future for thier families. They risked all of this, including thier lives to fight for king and country and ideals they believe in at the time...To risk all that is something to be proud of...

Although we did not have a hand in it we can still be proud of the event and those that did take part, just as we are proud of the famous Russian/ Canada hockey seris in 1972. The event still shaped our nation, and defines us as Canadians.

Your right people don't have to die to define our nation or who we are, but in this instance they did and we should stand tall, and honour those that were involved and be proud that they called themselfs Canadians.

I think alot of vets aren't neccessarily proud of what they did. I don't know of any that are comfortable talking about killing the enemy. They realised the reality of the situation, the necessity. They certainly shouldn't feel guilty. But talking to a few friends that are vets of Kosovo and Afghanistan, killing people is never a proud moment.

I think you are confusing the issue, Taking a life of another being is never a proud moment, but in combat it is neccessary to achieve the end result, be it peace or an end to hostile actions of another nation..

One friend that was operating with the forces in the South of Aghanistan reflected on his feelings after taking a small town, inflicting massive casualties on the Taliban. I wouldn't dare ask if he had personally killed anyone... but it was very evident that the aftermath of the attack will be with him forever. That was witnessing the death of people that were fully committed to killing him and waging war on the West. The feeling of watching the death of those that were forced into combat, it would be unimaginable.

Anybody how has been or seen war up close will be changed forever, it's mans own recreation of hell, and what it will be like.

They deserve thanks, and I think they should expect thanks, but I don't think they'd want our national image defined by one of the most terrible times in recent history. I can't imagine the anger that those Canadians felt as they advanced on the German lines, knowing that they were about to kill people that were not interested in Hitler's goals or ideology. Truly terrible. Canada didn't win at Vimy, we lost nearly 3,600 men, and many others were permenantly injured, emotionally and physically. How of the families back in Canada, the UK and even in Germany. The Germans lost 20,000 men, most of which were conscripts. Humanity lost at Vimy... though it was a necessary loss to prevent much greater suffering. There is no glory, nothing to be proud of (alot to be thankful for), especially not for those that weren't there.

Depending on how you are looking at it, What Canadians did that day was end the continual allied losses trying to break this strong hold, no longer will thousands of allied soldiers need to perish in taking this stratigic ground...Thier sacrafice marked the beginning of the end of the war...And anything that would stop the slaughter of millions is something to be proud of...Film footage of soldiers on top of the ridge show them as jublant, proud of what they had done, why can't the rest of Canada be proud of them and what they accomplished. I know as a soldier, these brave men of vimy have set the bar and standards of most of my training i do today. I'm proud of them, i have nothing but respect for thier bravery,courage,thier fortitude..Ya i'm proud of them and what they did for our nation. And i think in your own way so are you.

what are feminized men?

Vimy ceremonies are non-sense IMV. A waste of taxpayers dollars and a photo op for Harpy ala GW Bush's infamous air craft carrier calling the war over.

That is disgusting Political tripe.

It is the 90th anniversary of the battle for cripes sakes.

Also, the liberals started funding the refurbishment of the monument in 2001. They are now done and they also rededicated it.

Does this matter to you?

Your right people don't have to die to define our nation or who we are, but in this instance they did and we should stand tall, and honour those that were involved and be proud that they called themselfs Canadians.

I think those that served should stand tall and be proud of their accomplishments defending the free world. How can I be proud? I did absolutely nothing to help the Vimy campaign, I was another 70 some years from being born.

I can't take pride in something someone else died for, and I contributed nothing.

I think you are confusing the issue, Taking a life of another being is never a proud moment, but in combat it is neccessary to achieve the end result, be it peace or an end to hostile actions of another nation..

I'm by no means being critical of those that fought at Vimy. I'm just saying there is nothing there I can take pride in, and I'm pretty confident that most Vets are, like you say, proud to have achieved victory to liberate the French, protect us at home, or whatever their motivation. I think they should be.

Film footage of soldiers on top of the ridge show them as jublant, proud of what they had done, why can't the rest of Canada be proud of them and what they accomplished. I know as a soldier, these brave men of vimy have set the bar and standards of most of my training i do today. I'm proud of them, i have nothing but respect for thier bravery,courage,thier fortitude..Ya i'm proud of them and what they did for our nation. And i think in your own way so are you.

I'm thankful, not proud. I could never be proud of having people go fight and die for my selfish existence. The soliders and those involved should be proud of bringing a swifter end to such a terrible war, but I can't be. I didn't do anything to be proud of. I'm also just as thankful to the Brits, Aussies, Americans, ect., that also fought back then.

Do you see what I'm saying? I don't understand how those today that haven't served can be proud of sending people off to fight, to kill and to die to defend our selfish ways at home. I certainly am not proud of that. But I'm eternally thankful.

I think those that served should stand tall and be proud of their accomplishments defending the free world. How can I be proud? I did absolutely nothing to help the Vimy campaign, I was another 70 some years from being born.

I can't take pride in something someone else died for, and I contributed nothing.

Thats a good question, we can live our lives enjoying the freedoms and rights that they can not or have not been able to do for themselfs. I think for as many faults that Canada has we are one of the few countries that still allow us to do that. I think more than anything else we need to do that, not an easy task considering todays world. They've pass the torch to many generations , and although we have not fought, or contributed anything to the actual battles, we have picked up the torch and carried it. ensuring that Canada remains a nation with the freedoms and rights they fought for...thats something to be proud of.

I'm thankful, not proud. I could never be proud of having people go fight and die for my selfish existence.
Do you see what I'm saying? I don't understand how those today that haven't served can be proud of sending people off to fight, to kill and to die to defend our selfish ways at home. I certainly am not proud of that. But I'm eternally thankful

I understand what your saying,you feel if you have not contributed then you can't be proud, or take the moment as your own. But thats part of the soldiers contribution to the nation, to fight so others do not have to, to uphold our rights and freedoms so others may enjoy them, to pass the torch on to the next generation. Because if Canadians abandon all that it will have been for nothing. and thier sacrafice will mean nothing...I don't know many soldiers that would mind us sharing thier moment, and being proud of them and our nation.

vimy is a significantly important moment in history.

i was reminded just how significant and defining for Canada vimy is when my kid asked to be present at the ceremony, france, yesterday. it must have turned out as she anticipated because she called to say thanks.

i am also reminded how times have changed:

imagine Germany wants no part of war e.g. as initially - War in Iraq

vimy is a significantly important moment in history.
It is as much a travesty of Canadian history to claim the Battle at Vimy Ridge a turning point as to claim the passage of same sex marriage legislation was.

In the case of Vimy Ridge, British-born soldiers under a British commander fighting in the British army took a big hill. They did not conceive of themselves as Canadian in any sense that we or even most people in Canada did at the time. They were Brits who happened to be living in Canada - a colony - when war broke out. (And as Brits in Canada, they viewed themselves as British - not Canadian. They were superior.)

There were exceptions, Lester Pearson is an example, but the majority of men whose names appear on the monument spoke with strong British accents.

For the life of me, I don't understand how anyone can view this as a turning point in Canadian history. It would be more relevant to look at the Plains of Abraham when British-born soldiers fought European-born mercenaries under French command. They may have been European but their fight had an effect on the people living here.

Canada has a colonial past. All this commemoration of the Battle of Vimy Ridge pretends that past never existed.

If one needs an important moment from WWI, I'd look to Beaumont-Hamel. But they weren't Canadian, they were Newfoundlanders. Truly naive colonials.

The Conscription Crisis of 1917 nearly broke this country apart and is one reason teh Conservative Party has done badly in Quebec. As it turns out, French-Canadians were right. WWI was a war in which we never should have got ourselves involved. (Indeed, most Canadians at the time stayed out.)

Try as I might to give it sense, my only conclusion is that WWI was a pointless slaughter. Three first cousins got into a family feud and used real people as their cannon fodder/whipping boys. Republican France, involved for its own reasons, suffered horrifically.

Read Barbara Tuchman or Solzhenitsyn to understand how mindless the beginning of that war was. Only lunatics, stubborn nationalists or upper class snobs could ever have perpetuated such slaughter for over four years. (Read Robert Graves' Goodbye To All That.)

I am appalled that Stephen Harper would use the Battle at Vimy Ridge for his own current political goals.

----

What our soldiers are doing in Afghanistan, or what they did in Dieppe in 1942, is worthy of respect.

Quebecers, like Americans, have a natural and well-placed impulse to be isolationist. It's a good stance. But this does not mean complete neutrality.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen this translated but Romeo Dallaire recently reminded Quebecers of their international obligations:

Plutôt que de se laisser distraire par le message des opposants à la guerre, les Québécois doivent être prêts à accepter que des leurs sacrifient leur vie dans la poudrière afghane, pense le général à la retraite Roméo Dallaire.

«Si nous ne faisons pas montre d'une certaine abnégation pour faire avancer ce à quoi l'on croit, nous ne sommes qu'une gang d'hypocrites», a lancé aujourd'hui le sénateur Dallaire, en entrevue à la Presse Canadienne.

«La responsabilité internationale, ce n'est pas seulement donner de l'argent aux missionnaires ou pour le développement international, a poursuivi le général à la retraite. C'est aussi des sueurs, des grincements de dents et, parfois, le sang de nos jeunes.»

Link

He doesn't really have to.

It is as much a travesty of Canadian history to claim the Battle at Vimy Ridge a turning point as to claim the passage of same sex marriage legislation was

One can not compare the two, yes both are worth mention in our history but one is a major event with a great cost to the nation, and the other a minor event.

In the case of Vimy Ridge, British-born soldiers under a British commander fighting in the British army took a big hill. They did not conceive of themselves as Canadian in any sense that we or even most people in Canada did at the time. They were Brits who happened to be living in Canada - a colony - when war broke out. (And as Brits in Canada, they viewed themselves as British - not Canadian. They were superior.)

Yes alot of those that enlisted were british born, and they do make up the majority, but lets not forget the others that contributed to our nations role in WWI. Such as the many Scottish, Irish, that provided countless of Bn's along with Bn's raised from the Danes, hugarians, poles, italians and many others. Bn's were formed for many different reasons, such as the Bantam BN's made up of men under 5' 2'', or the Bn from winnipeg made up of men abstaining from alchol. Not to mention the 13 Bn's made up of french Canadians.

One important note that should be present although Canada did not have much say in going to war, it did have control over it's contribution to the war.

One has to also has to remember that most Canadians had come to Canada some 15 years prior during the great migration. to say that they were not Canadian is making a big leap, i will agree that most did feel an alligance to britian

The main reason that vimy battle is so important to our history, is prior to the battle Canadian units, divs, were always fighting under direct command of other nations, such as the france and britain. It was these actions that upset alot of Canadian volunteers, being used peicemeal to reinforce other nations armies, being lead by british officers and Senior NCO's, but as the war progressed this started to change. And by the time Vimy came around alot (not all) but most were Canadian...It is here on the battle field that these men stop being British,scottish,irish, etc and started being Canadian. Vimy ridge is the first time Canadians were to fight as a whole formation, using tactics designed and invented by Canadians for the first time. The battle represented alot of first times for Canada.

For the life of me, I don't understand how anyone can view this as a turning point in Canadian history. It would be more relevant to look at the Plains of Abraham when British-born soldiers fought European-born mercenaries under French command. They may have been European but their fight had an effect on the people living here

There are a lot of reasons why this one battle is a turning piont in our history. The allieds had tried so many times to take this piece of ground at the cost of more than 600,000 cas. It was deemed imposable to take.. it took canada just 3 days of battle so the event it self is important...The tactics that were used to take the hill were state of the art for the day, rolling barages, counter bat fire, sound ranging, arial recon, arial photography, the list is long most of these tactics are still used today in modern warfare, and they were invented and used effectivily by Canadians....The battle of vimy is marked as the beginning of the end, for the germans and would bring the war to an end that much quicker....Lets not also forget that many Canadians still had families in these countries that were effected by this war, a big incentive not only for recruitment but for ending the war quickly.... And the most important piont although we forced into war by being a colony we still had the final say as a nation as to what our contribution would be, a nation of under 8 mil manged to supply over 600,000 troops over the course of the war, that has got to speak volumes to our character, and who we are as a people.

Canada has a colonial past. All this commemoration of the Battle of Vimy Ridge pretends that past never existed.

Yes it does , but then again so do most nations in the new world. the battle of vimy is marked as the turning piont in which Canada was on the road to becoming it's own nation. No longer made up of mostly brits, but made up of Canadians. Who indentified themselfs as Canadians.

If one needs an important moment from WWI, I'd look to Beaumont-Hamel. But they weren't Canadian, they were Newfoundlanders. Truly naive colonials.

The perlude to the vimy attack, I would not say naive, but rather that event shows the importance of having ones own government, a vioce in how your people or soldiers are used on the battle field.

The Conscription Crisis of 1917 nearly broke this country apart and is one reason teh Conservative Party has done badly in Quebec. As it turns out, French-Canadians were right. WWI was a war in which we never should have got ourselves involved. (Indeed, most Canadians at the time stayed out.)

I think the conscription crisses is over blown, of the 620,000 Canadians that served during WWI only 108,000 were concripted, of that number only 48,000 were sent to europe and of that number only 24,000 actually seen combat.

Yes it did divide english Canada and french Canada, as thier two sets of values clashed, the french refused to fight for the british, and felt betrayed or atleast thinking they owed france nothing. it was thier refusal to contribute to the war that divided this country, unless you can prove other wise. at the time French speaking population made up over 30 % of Canada's total population, To which they provided only 4 % of Canada's entire war contribution.

We were a british colony after all, and by law once Britian declared war so had we, although we did maintain control on what our contribution was going to be, Quebec had an oppurtunity to prove it was part of this nation, and not just a separate part of it with an entirily different culture. But they missed that boat, and by doing so refused to take that step to being Canadian instead they opted for something different.

Try as I might to give it sense, my only conclusion is that WWI was a pointless slaughter. Three first cousins got into a family feud and used real people as their cannon fodder/whipping boys. Republican France, involved for its own reasons, suffered horrifically.

Read Barbara Tuchman or Solzhenitsyn to understand how mindless the beginning of that war was. Only lunatics, stubborn nationalists or upper class snobs could ever have perpetuated such slaughter for over four years. (Read Robert Graves' Goodbye To All That.)

To these pionts i agree, i would go on step further and state all wars are piontless slaughters, to which we suffer more than what is gained. But that is mans history is it not.

I am appalled that Stephen Harper would use the Battle at Vimy Ridge for his own current political goals.

It is a part of our history, nothing can change that, celebrating it serves 2 purposes it reminds us of who we are and what sacrifice we paid to get there. Vimy monument was not built to glorify war, but to remind us of it's cost, perhaps to make us all pause and reflect, before we jump on that band wagon of war again.

What our soldiers are doing in Afghanistan, or what they did in Dieppe in 1942, is worthy of respect.

They are all the same, it all comes down to Canadians answering someone elses call for help, and doing what we think is right for all of us.

For the life of me, I don't understand how anyone can view this as a turning point in Canadian history. It would be more relevant to look at the Plains of Abraham when British-born soldiers fought European-born mercenaries under French command. They may have been European but their fight had an effect on the people living here.

When the First World War started Canada still was, in effect, a British colony. When Britain went to war, Canada was automatically at war.

Over the course of the war Canadian nationalism became stronger. People here took pride in the honour and sacrifice of their boys in France. Vimy Ridge was the culmination of this new found nationalism. Instead of being treated like a colony, now we are commanding our own divisions and are achieving where others have failed.

While you might argue that a Canadian identity existed before Vimy Ridge, it seems clear that it was solidified there. We remember Vimy ridge not to ignore the colonial past, but to understand how we evolved from it.