What does it mean to be Canadian?

Guest American Woman
QUOTE=jbg @ Jul 15 2009, 06:57 PM) Proud To Be Canadian

What is shameful about too much Canadians is their tendency to be proud to be lucky.

One can recognize that they are lucky to have been born where they were and at the same time be proud of the country of their birth.

Because we were lucky enough to have been born where we were, should we not be proud of what our country/countrymen have accomplished? Seems to me it would be shameful not to be.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can recognize that they are lucky to have been born where they were and at the same time be proud of the country of their birth.

Because we were lucky enough to have been born where we were, should we not be proud of what our country/countrymen have accomplished? Seems to me it would be shameful not to be.

But birth is not really an accomplishment, for the baby.

Guest American Woman
Assuming accomplishments is not saying much.

:rolleyes:

Evidently you're unable to respond to what's actually said, so I'm no longer going to waste my time attempting to have a discussion with you.

I'm glad to see you back.

Great post.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, being Canadian means not only coming from the country that created basketball, Tim Hortons, and the zipper, it means being from the country whose flag is worn by Americans, and the like, travelling to places of danger. A country that gained its independence through peaceful means unlike our neighbour to the south. A country that was able to take Vimy Ridge in 1917, when the British and the French failed. A country that participated in WWII not because we had to, or because we were attacked, but because it was just and right thing to do. Say the word Canada in any part of the planet, and you'll get an even better answer.

Guest TrueMetis
To me, being Canadian means not only coming from the country that created basketball, Tim Hortons, and the zipper, it means being from the country whose flag is worn by Americans, and the like, travelling to places of danger. A country that gained its independence through peaceful means unlike our neighbour to the south. A country that was able to take Vimy Ridge in 1917, when the British and the French failed. A country that participated in WWII not because we had to, or because we were attacked, but because it was just and right thing to do. Say the word Canada in any part of the planet, and you'll get an even better answer.

A country that does what other countries believe is impossible.

Guest American Woman
....it means being from the country whose flag is worn by Americans, and the like, travelling to places of danger. A country that gained its independence through peaceful means unlike our neighbour to the south. A country that was able to take Vimy Ridge in 1917, when the British and the French failed. A country that participated in WWII not because we had to, or because we were attacked, but because it was just and right thing to do. Say the word Canada in any part of the planet, and you'll get an even better answer.

You gained your independence peacefully because you waited until England was ready to grant you independence. Americans didn't want to wait 200 years. As for your participation in WWII, England was involved, and you were part of the commonwealth. I've been to many foreign countries and I can see for myself the reaction to Canadians and Americans. Don't make the mistake of thinking Canadians are revered and Americans despised. And for the record, I've never encountered any Americans wearing the Canadian flag abroad "in places of danger." I think that's a myth.

Final note. I find it interesting that you are defining what it means to be Canadian mainly by comparing Canada to the U.S. I don't know of any Americans who mention Canada, or any other nation, when defining "what it means to be American."

Guest TrueMetis
You gained your independence peacefully because you waited until England was ready to grant you independence. Americans didn't want to wait 200 years. As for your participation in WWII, England was involved, and you were part of the commonwealth. I've been to many foreign countries and I can see for myself the reaction to Canadians and Americans. Don't make the mistake of thinking Canadians are revered and Americans despised. And for the record, I've never encountered any Americans wearing the Canadian flag abroad "in places of danger." I think that's a myth.

Final note. I find it interesting that you are defining what it means to be Canadian mainly by comparing Canada to the U.S. I don't know of any Americans who mention Canada, or any other nation, when defining "what it means to be American."

A big reason for us getting independance was are actions in WW1 not exactly the most peaceful thing in the world.

As for WW2 we did not have to go. We were part of the commonwealth which means we were equal to britain

Edited by TrueMetis

I find it interesting that more than one American on this board always finds it necessary to inform the Canadians about how their definition of their own country isn't good enough. Much of our history is based on differing ourselves from you and that is a simple fact. We live besides the most powerful country in the world, and we're supposed to ignore them?

Also, it doesn't matter if you wanted to wait or not. The point still stands that our independence was achieved in a far more peaceful manner. The fact that you couldn't wait further reinforces the point.

Edited by Smallc

I find it interesting that more than one American on this board always finds it necessary to inform the Canadians about how their definition of their own country isn't good enough. Much of our history is based on differing ourselves from you and that is a simple fact. We live besides the most powerful country in the world, and we're supposed to ignore them?

It's more complicated than that...going back to the tug-o-war between Europe and America. Canada exists with or without America as a foil. Mexico does not have such an identity issue.

Also, it doesn't matter if you wanted to wait or not. The point still stands that our independence was achieved in a far more peaceful manner. The fact that you couldn't wait further reinforces the point.

Yet, as TrueMetis indicated, your "dependence" required engaging not so peaceful conflicts.

Canada exists with or without America as a foil.

That's right, it does. It still doesn't change history. Again, an American is telling a Canadian that their definition of their own country isn't good enough.

That's right, it does. It still doesn't change history. Again, an American is telling a Canadian that their definition of their own country isn't good enough.

It's a second order problem....the same Americans and "their" culture are drafted to define Canada...by Canadians.....regardless of what is good enough.

Would Americans be unable to define themselves without Canada?

Guest TrueMetis
It's a second order problem....the same Americans and "their" culture are drafted to define Canada...by Canadians.....regardless of what is good enough.

The War of 1812 played a huge part in creating the American identity and it wouldn't have happened if Canada didn't exsist.

For me there's little difference once the currency is exchanged and the border crossed. Now who in the hell made it so damn hard to cross again? Oh right....those guys.

:lol:

The War of 1812 played a huge part in creating the American identity and it wouldn't have happened if Canada didn't exsist.

The War of 1812 was the final step of independence and defiance for Britain, which included Canada as a possession . Americans did not make the sovereign distinction back then for obvious reasons. The Maritimes, now part of Canada, were pawns for the UK in need of war reserves.....America got bases.