What does it mean to be Canadian?

Despite the facts, I must agree with the Yankees on this page. It's not a forum regarding what it means not to be American, it's what it means to be Canadian. Sure, when it comes to comparing us to another individual from another country, it must be to our largest trading partner and only territorial neighbour. But, the point is that I retract my statements for another subject regarding the differences between our countries, not what it means to be from Canada itself.

Being Canadians means being from a country that made hockey, Tim Horton's, basketball and the G-suit. Being from a country where you can learn about most cultures from walking down the street, a multicultural and tolerant nation to everyone (despite several black spots of our past). The maple leaf is used by many non-Canadians travelling abroad in hope that they get the same respect that we do. Second largest landmass on the planet, largest coastline, and the best health care in North America PERIOD

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then this was just the long way round to an otherwise simple answer to my original question: yes.

And perhaps therein lies the real answer.....America is the Great Britain of old, and despite having a monarchy with ties to the throne, Canada gazes upon and defines itself in terms of the new Great Britain.

God Save the President.

Guest American Woman
Despite the facts, I must agree with the Yankees on this page. It's not a forum regarding what it means not to be American, it's what it means to be Canadian. Sure, when it comes to comparing us to another individual from another country, it must be to our largest trading partner and only territorial neighbour. But, the point is that I retract my statements for another subject regarding the differences between our countries, not what it means to be from Canada itself.

Being Canadians means being from a country that made hockey, Tim Horton's, basketball and the G-suit. Being from a country where you can learn about most cultures from walking down the street, a multicultural and tolerant nation to everyone (despite several black spots of our past). The maple leaf is used by many non-Canadians travelling abroad in hope that they get the same respect that we do. Second largest landmass on the planet, largest coastline, and the best health care in North America PERIOD

It's refreshing to read "what it means to be Canadian" without any mention of the U.S. :)

A couple of comments. You don't have the "best health care in North America." Not everyone can afford it, but the health care in the U.S. is every bit as good as Canada's. If it weren't, why would so many Canadians come here for it? Why would so many people come from around the world for it?

As for "The maple leaf is used by many non-Canadians travelling abroad in hope that they get the same respect that we do," I repeat. I believe this is a myth. I have never run into any American wearing the Maple Leaf overseas. I've only run into Canadians who claim Americans do. As for Canadians getting more respect abroad than Americans, I have often been mistaken for a Canadian and upon learning that I'm American, I did not receive less respect by any means.

Compare that to the southern USA where, the majority, not all, it would be quite difficult to be homosexual, for example, with ministers like Fred Phelps Sr, or rednecks riding around in cars labelled "Fagbug," or teenagers with signs saying "God hates fags!" or "fag=anal=sex=DEATH."

and NO, i am not labelling the USA as all of these people, absolutely not. I'm simply saying that in my experience, Canada, on average, has a great wider variety of culture, languages and religion, and is more accepting of people with different ways of life, compared to numerous locales in the USA.

And how many of those people integrate into mainstream Canadian life? How many judges are there such as Denny Chin, who is a well-respected U.S. District Court judge in Manhattan who just sentenced Madoff? How many Japanese such as S.A. Hiakawa, who was, I believe, a linguist who served as President of University of California at Berkeley? How many African-Canadians have become Prime Minister?

Note, in the U.S., President George W. Bush, who hails from a part of the country that you deride as "redneck" appointed Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell to top-level policy posts, higher than those appointed by more urbane Democrats as Clinton and Obama.

In the U.S. we have our discrete ethnic neighborhoods and some freak shows like you describe in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver. But we have been far more successful in assimilating and integrating our minorities.

What I'm saying is that it's interesting that we are not allowed to define ourselves as we choose. I don't need the US to define Canada, but using the US does make it easy for some, and for some it is an important part of the definition whether it's interesting or not.
You're saying it's OK for Canadians to define themselves as against Americans but not vice versa?
To illustrate, it can be seen that not even Western Canadians are as fearful and hateful of government, taxation, and anything official as many Americans.
Obviously you nee to learn something of American history.

We started ourselves largely as part of a tax revolt and a struggle against overbearing, over-paternal monarchial government. That is our country's essence.

Not even a word about restive Quebec!?

Edited by benny

It's refreshing to read "what it means to be Canadian" without any mention of the U.S. :)

Indeed.....bonus points to any member who can offer a perspective sans those bastard Americans!

Canadians should be proud of their nation, and not be ashamed to do so.

Unless that would be too "American".

And how many of those people integrate into mainstream Canadian life? How many judges are there such as Denny Chin, who is a well-respected U.S. District Court judge in Manhattan who just sentenced Madoff? How many Japanese such as S.A. Hiakawa, who was, I believe, a linguist who served as President of University of California at Berkeley? How many African-Canadians have become Prime Minister?

Note, in the U.S., President George W. Bush, who hails from a part of the country that you deride as "redneck" appointed Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell to top-level policy posts, higher than those appointed by more urbane Democrats as Clinton and Obama.

In the U.S. we have our discrete ethnic neighborhoods and some freak shows like you describe in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver. But we have been far more successful in assimilating and integrating our minorities.

Like I said, I'm not labelling all the US residents, there's hundreds of millions of Americans like Condoleeze Rice and Colin Powell and Martin Luther King jr and Barack Obama and countless others, who will serve the planet great, and represent perfectly the creedo that the USA was founded upon. The very slim minority however, that refuses to accept others' ways of life, like gays for example or Muslims or Jews or whomever, those sometimes tend to be the individuals that speak the loudest and make the greatest impression on foreigners, which is very unfortunate.

Canada is one dimensional in this respect, having no others on your border**** In other words, Canada had no Mexico, no Hawaii, no Philippines, etc., only the Americans.
Actually Canada borders France at St. Pierre and Miquelon, and Denmark opposite Baffin Island. When Canadians say "the border" I think they usually mean the border with Denmark, not the border with France or the U.S.

The very slim minority however, that refuses to accept others' ways of life, like gays for example or Muslims or Jews or whomever, those sometimes tend to be the individuals that speak the loudest and make the greatest impression on foreigners, which is very unfortunate.
I happen to be Jewish, and feel that the U.S. is a very warm place for us.

Like I said, I'm not labelling all the US residents, there's hundreds of millions of Americans like Condoleeze Rice and Colin Powell and Martin Luther King jr and Barack Obama and countless others, who will serve the planet great, and represent perfectly the creedo that the USA was founded upon. The very slim minority however, that refuses to accept others' ways of life, like gays for example or Muslims or Jews or whomever, those sometimes tend to be the individuals that speak the loudest and make the greatest impression on foreigners, which is very unfortunate.

Can we speak about Canadians now, please!?

Anyway, Alaska is a drilling place, not a thrilling one.

That's like saying that all of Canada is like central to Northern Alberta and Hibernia. Your ignorance shows.

And perhaps therein lies the real answer.....America is the Great Britain of old, and... Canada gazes upon and defines itself in terms of the new Great Britain.

No, because GB and Canada never defined themselves against each other, as the US and Canada have done since the revolution.

A couple of comments. You don't have the "best health care in North America." Not everyone can afford it, but the health care in the U.S. is every bit as good as Canada's. If it weren't, why would so many Canadians come here for it? Why would so many people come from around the world for it?

As for "The maple leaf is used by many non-Canadians travelling abroad in hope that they get the same respect that we do," I repeat. I believe this is a myth. I have never run into any American wearing the Maple Leaf overseas. I've only run into Canadians who claim Americans do. As for Canadians getting more respect abroad than Americans, I have often been mistaken for a Canadian and upon learning that I'm American, I did not receive less respect by any means.

So, after praising a definition for not mentioning the US... your response is to nit-pick it for how the US is better... or at least, not worse?

Not really sure why, but that gave me a chuckle. :lol:

Despite the facts, I must agree with the Yankees on this page. It's not a forum regarding what it means not to be American, it's what it means to be Canadian.

Yes.....leave the UnCola to 7up.

This is healthy, even if it's not all true. This is the spirit that is needed.....no Americanskis.

No, because GB and Canada never defined themselves against each other, as the US and Canada have done since the revolution.

Not as equals, no. Canada struggled as a fledgling nation to define itself in European terms or American terms. We know how it ended just by turning on a television in Canada (Quebec is still fighting the good fight....the last true Canadiens!) :lol:

So, after praising a definition for not mentioning the US... your response is to nit-pick it for how the US is better... or at least, not worse?

You're right, eh. That's right --- i went there. I said the world's biggest stereotype about Canadians. But seriously, Lily bud, you are right.

Yes, so what is it to be an American?

God Bless

The USA by Lee Greenwood(link)

If tomorrow all the things were gone,

I’d worked for all my life.

And I had to start again,

with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,

to be livin here today.

‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,

and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,

where at least I know I’m free.

And I wont forget the men who died,

who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,

next to you and defend her still today.

‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,

God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,

to the hills of Tennessee.

Across the plains of Texas,

From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,

and New York to L.A.

Well there's pride in every American heart,

and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,

And I gladly stand up,

God bless the USA.

And I’m proud to be and American,

And I gladly stand up,

God bless the USA

Guest American Woman

I seriously have to wonder where you are coming from. This is a discussion board. As stated, I found the definition refreshing. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to comment, ie: discuss it, does it?

And for the record, my response was not to say how the US is better. You got it right the second time, but for some reason felt the need to make a false claim initially. Says a lot about you, really.

I'm just as clueless over that as you apparently are. :lol: