U.S. Presidential Elections 2008

Thompson linked to work for Libyans.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20678003/

Asked about Mr. Thompson’s participation in the Libya case, James Kreindler, a lawyer who represents 130 of the victims’ families, said: “Pan Am 103 was really an attack on the United States, so while some families understood the concept that everyone deserves a defense, a number were offended and angered that American lawyers were willing to earn fees by doing anything to help this pariah nation or the two bombing suspects.”

Think this will be brought up by other Republican candidates to paste Thompson.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont care who gets nominated for either side, im voting for whoever is fiscally conservative and strong on domestic issues. I dont give a damn about the rest of the worlds problems, its time for America to look to its own for a while and stop trying to fix everyone elses defects. Socially I would prefer more center or left leaning, I dislike candidates who have religious leaders in there ear. that whole seperation of church and state thing i take seriously. And pro gun. I hold that at a near sacred level.

• 5 weeks later...

Well reading the tea leaves (i.e. watching TV) I am getting the impression that Clinton is pulling away from the rest of the democratic pack. Can anybody give me some insight into what is putting her out front. Health care? It can't be her record on the Middle East, or if you want to play that game, Bill's record on the Middle East.....

I'm surprised about Romney's and Thompson's hard stand on abortion. This will hurt the Republicans in a general campaign.

You'll find that the tide is shifting on this issue in a big way, having more to do with demographics than a morality issue. The pig has pretty much passed the baby making stage of the python by now, the feminist movement has descended into surrealism and become a laughing stock, and both women and men all across the west are taking a hard look back at a real dearth of replacement babies. The rhetoric of Roe v Wade is as much a memory as burning bras and bell bottoms.

Couple that to the fact that few are going to vote on this single issue alone, and I don't think it's as damaging as you think. It may even surprise you and be a bonus for them.

Well reading the tea leaves (i.e. watching TV) I am getting the impression that Clinton is pulling away from the rest of the democratic pack. Can anybody give me some insight into what is putting her out front. Health care? It can't be her record on the Middle East, or if you want to play that game, Bill's record on the Middle East.....

I think you hit the nail on the end. Healthcare is still a major concern out there. I am still waiting to see the Cook article on the presidential race to see what he thinks is happening out there.

You'll find that the tide is shifting on this issue in a big way, having more to do with demographics than a morality issue.

So you don't think that if Guiliani become President that some people in the Republican party wouldn't vote for him?

You'll find that the tide is shifting on this issue in a big way, having more to do with demographics than a morality issue. The pig has pretty much passed the baby making stage of the python by now, the feminist movement has descended into surrealism and become a laughing stock, and both women and men all across the west are taking a hard look back at a real dearth of replacement babies. The rhetoric of Roe v Wade is as much a memory as burning bras and bell bottoms.

Couple that to the fact that few are going to vote on this single issue alone, and I don't think it's as damaging as you think. It may even surprise you and be a bonus for them.

Here are some recent US polls about abortion opinion.

I don't see any major change and there are far more people who want the status quo than those who agree with Thompson or Romney. They would be wise to avoid the issue where possible.

----

More generally, it looks like Hillary Clinton will get the Democratic nomination which means that the Republicans are going to be looking for someone who can beat her. Clinton's main problem is her high negatives - as many as 45% say they will not vote for her. This is what the Republicans will want to exploit.

Organization, money and no serious opposition.

Ibbitson had a good column today:

WASHINGTON -- It's over.

Barring a political catastrophe, Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic nominee for president. Her lead has become insurmountable.

Whether she will win the presidency is less certain. But at this stage, a year and a month out, it's hers to lose.

Every indicator now massively favours Ms. Clinton's campaign. In the latest national poll, released last week by The Washington Post and ABC News, she had the support of 53 per cent of Democratic voters. Challenger Barack Obama had slipped to 20 per cent, while John Edwards came in at 13 per cent.

Edited by August1991

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh Polynewbie, your oft entertaining kooky conspiracy theories at least kept things interesting.

The 2008 race is starting to take shape with Hillary a front runner, something I never thought would happen several months ago. However, a story that broke quite recently is the huge cash donations coming from China town dishwashers, who are loving her to the tune of a tenth or so of their gross yearly salaries! How do you say 'money is being funnelled' in Chinese? (Sorry no links of yet, but it's on Drudgereport.)

I don't know if it's an issue yet, but it is unusual that people making $12,000 a year are donating more than 1 month's salary to anything, let alone a politician who's raking in the money already. Nobody I know could afford to give $1200 to a campaign, and most of my friends are in the 30 to 60k range. That people below the poverty line are giving this much looks highly suspicious.

Let's face it, with all the loop holes in American political contribution laws, this is money being funnelled plain and simple. The why is also easy, her handlers want her to appear to be a woman of the people, someone blue collar workers admire. And she wants to appear to be the opposite of what she really is, backed by big money.

All in all though, Hillary looks like a world beater, at least as far as the Dem side is concerned. Whether Americans are ready to vote for a woman is another issue, especially since her very non-traditional marriage won't be an asset. Rudy is sufferring from similar reactions about his married life among the right. And the right will have much to say about who gets in the White House.

Edited by sharkman

On the other hand, Ralph Nader would like to run. This would split the left vote and help Republican win the white house.

I'm sure he will but his support in each of the last Presidential elections has gone down. James Dobson has threatened to leave he Republican party if Guiliani is nominated. All of this has forced Guiliani to become more socially Conservative on policies but is it enough if abortion is your number 1 issue?

Ralph Nader is ancient history and still hasn't recovered from being indirectly responsible for making Cheney president. There is far more likely to be heavy vote-splitting on the right when the so-cons inevitably come in with a third candidate. They aren't going to sit this one out and allow an adulterer/mormon/black dude/chick to become president.

Guest American Woman

I think Nader is history too. People are going to think twice before throwing their vote away after 8 years of Bush/Cheney et al.

Too bad the Dems are too spineless to be going after Bush/Cheney the way they should be. It never ceases to amaze me what they've gotten away with. I'm totally disgusted with my country politically right now.

Edited by American Woman

Too bad the Dems are too spineless to be going after Bush/Cheney the way they should be. It never ceases to amaze me what they've gotten away with. I'm totally disgusted with my country politically right now.

It looks like there is no real alternative to the current political direction the country is going in. Vote one way or another in a mostly two-party system, but the overall outcome is the same. Only certain details on social policy are different, but not really different on foreign policy.

I saw Ron Paul give an interview on CNN a few days ago. I like what he said and what his priorities are, but it's very radical compared to everyone else and I wonder how much he'll suffer by media bombardment from the other bigger players. The ones who got the really big money behind them.

Thats where the problem lies in my opinion there needs to be a disconnect between industry corporate funding and political influence it wields. The system is so heavily incorporated, it looks like fascism. The politicians cannot make a decision without consulting their financial backers, whom they in actuality represent. The president is actually just a CEO for the supercorporation that America has become, and the shareholders are the ones determining policy. Its the inevitable pitfall of hyper-capitalism, that power moved into the hands of the wealthy.

New laws must be drawn up to separate the government representatives from corporate influence.

I think people should use "goggle" and go do some research on ALL the candidates. I was curious about Guilliani and found his dad connection to the mob and spent time in Sing Sing. So is he presidential material?? We know what Clinton's years in the White House, so you want more of that? Why not have a Prez and a VP that not connected to the Bush's or the Clinton's?

Excellent...that means millions of others are delighted. Good luck in 2008!

I think people should use "goggle" and go do some research on ALL the candidates. I was curious about Guilliani and found his dad connection to the mob and spent time in Sing Sing. So is he presidential material?? We know what Clinton's years in the White House, so you want more of that? Why not have a Prez and a VP that not connected to the Bush's or the Clinton's?

I think Americans should so whatever they wish, including not voting or "goggling" at all. The election is over a year away, and everything so far is just foreplay.

Guest American Woman

I judge the candidates by their own merits, so what Guilliani's dad did has no bearing on my opinion of him. And yes, we do know about Clinton's years in the White House-- peace and prosperity-- so yeah, I do want more of that. Wouldn't you?

I think Nader is history too. People are going to think twice before throwing their vote away after 8 years of Bush/Cheney et al.

Bloomberg could make an interesting third party candidate.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/68113/

He could potentially take votes away from both major parties but I feel that there would be more votes lost on the Republican side than the Democratic one.