Apocolyptic Destiny

BubberMiley

West Nile, Bird Flu, Sars, antibiotic-resistant contagious flesheating ebola viruses, air pollution, climate change, nuclear proliferation, U.S. bombing Iraq/Iran/Syria/North Korea/Cuba/Venezuala..., peak oil, social and economic collapse, Windows Vista. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, international terrorism.

It seems the underlying societal consensus of impending apocalypse is higher than at any point since, well, Y2K. Is it me or is this it?

Read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". His premise is that it is all a government conspiracy (of course!) to always keep the masses looking to the politicians and lawyers to keep them safe. In that book, the apocalyptic destiny is global warming, but it could just as easily be any of the ones you've listed. Pop culture reflecting social worries, or determining them?

West Nile, Bird Flu, Sars, antibiotic-resistant contagious flesheating ebola viruses, air pollution, climate change, nuclear proliferation, U.S. bombing Iraq/Iran/Syria/North Korea/Cuba/Venezuala..., peak oil, social and economic collapse, Windows Vista. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, international terrorism.

It seems the underlying societal consensus of impending apocalypse is higher than at any point since, well, Y2K. Is it me or is this it?

Who knows, it could be just you. Every era seems to see some sort of apocalypse coming. The people who lived through the first half of the last century went through the two most destructive wars in history and ended up living in the most affluent era in history. The better people have it the harder they seem to work at dreaming up things to worry about. One day they will be right.

Well, we all saw how Y2K played out, eh? All that fear mongering for nothing.

Fear becomes an addiction, those who trade in fear are trading in controlling of people.

There is nothing to fear except fear itself.

However, being healthily aware, and being active against possibilities is different than fear.

The apocolyptic fear mongering is been done for a reason.

SARS = more people die from bacterial pneumonia per year than those who died from SARS,

West Nile = more people die from Malaria per year

Bird Flu = has not mutated doubtful if will more people die from TB per year than have ever died from bird flu

Air pollution = man made something can be done if humans have will

USA = nation in decline in its last death throes, or Americans take control of their out of control government.

Nuclear proliferation = world needs to unite and say no more.

They would like to make feel less powerful, so fear mongering exists, when indeed the people have all the power if they would only realize it.

antibiotic-resistant contagious flesheating ebola viruses

Of course antibacterials have no effect if it's a virus... viruses and bacterias are completely different types of creatures. Viruses are still and have always been extremely difficult to fight - hence no cure for influenza, hiv, rabies, etc etc...

However, antibacterial resistant bacterias, such as TB, tetanus, typhoid fever, diphtheria, syphilis, cholera, food-borne illness, leprosy, are a big concern...

True. But can't viruses like ebola can cause bacterial infections that are antibiotic-resistant? I think bronchitis is spread by a virus but results in an infection that's treated with antibiotics.

Brochitis is merely inflammation of the airways for whatever reason. You can get it from smoking, not even through a pathogen. The inflammation does leave you more open to bacterial infections such as common strains of pneumonia causing bacteria.

Though even that's not a big deal. One thing to watch out for, PEN CAPS! That's going to bring the apocolypse. I had a terrible accident with one (the little blue piece on the back of a Bic pen)... was chewing on it in English in High School, the end popped off and the piece ended up in my lung. I left it in there for a week (I was even younger and crazier than I am today, I thought it would dissolve)... eventually I came down with a terrible case of pneumonia that left me with a lung surgery to remove the foreign body and a one week hospital stay to recover. :(

The scary thing... it wasn't the first time the doc had seen it.

Be aware.

Our lives have become so insulated from the bad stuff we tend to forget how the real world has worked in the past and still does in many places. The 1918 influenza epidemic killed between 50 and 100 million or between 2.5 and 5 % of the worlds population at the time. More than the Bubonic Plague during the 4 year period when it was at its height. There is no reason to think that such a thing will never happen again.

Bubbler, you forgot killer bees.

Our lives have become so insulated from the bad stuff we tend to forget how the real world has worked in the past and still does in many places. The 1918 influenza epidemic killed between 50 and 100 million or between 2.5 and 5 % of the worlds population at the time. More than the Bubonic Plague during the 4 year period when it was at its height. There is no reason to think that such a thing will never happen again.

As to viral epidemics (why do they say pandemics now - does that make it scarier?), my understanding is that we understand poorly the transmission mechanism. The 1918-19 epidemic was due to moving war dead arorund.

Our bodies are designed to fend off bacterial and viral attacks. We don't succomb so easily although I have noticed that northern people and southern people face different threats.

----

Is it normal to be afraid? Heck, as they say in the disaster movies, "We're all going to die!" Ain't that the truth.

One thing to watch out for, PEN CAPS! That's going to bring the apocolypse. I had a terrible accident with one (the little blue piece on the back of a Bic pen)... was chewing on it in English in High School, the end popped off and the piece ended up in my lung.

My gosh what a story. I hear on Coast to Coast that alot of people are having foreign bodies implanted by aliens which are life changing experiences also.

One thing to watch out for, PEN CAPS! That's going to bring the apocolypse. I had a terrible accident with one (the little blue piece on the back of a Bic pen)... was chewing on it in English in High School, the end popped off and the piece ended up in my lung.
My gosh what a story. I hear on Coast to Coast that alot of people are having foreign bodies implanted by aliens which are life changing experiences also.

I figure aliens would have been more exciting than a terrible essay writting accident.

Tell you what. If you look in a gravy stain and want to see the Virgin Mary, you will find her. Sounds like that is what you are doing. Sorry, I just see a stain.

I predict that in a few years the entire world will be unable to have any children. The entire world will be chaotic, and Great Britian will be the only remaining civilized nation, however it will be a police state with few freedoms. In 2028 a woman will become mysteriously pregnant, and their will be a man who will need to protect her so she can escape the country and hopefully help give hope to the rest of human civilization.

The other theory I have is this...

Their will be a massive biological warfare attack in Great Britian after a nuclear war and chaos has engulfed most of the world. A new political party known as Norsefire will form, and will win close to 90% of the popular vote to become government and develop a cure. However Great Britian will become a police state similar to Orwell's 1984. One man will lead the nation to revolution in order to overthrow the government, he will enlist the help of a woman in the BBS, and they both will help blow up the Parliament building in London. This is of course after the masses rise up against government tyranny. The man himself dies, however the idea lives on.

lol who said the mayan prophecy was about the end of the world?

its about end-time, a transition to an enlightened state, the culmination of everything coming together on dec 21 2012

anyways...

every generation has predicted doom, yet we are still here. i think life is much to durable for us to be able to destroy it in its entirety.