Was Brian Mulroney a Crook?

Mulroney a Crook?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trex, these recent allegations of the CBC/G&M are entirely new. Until last week, no one suspected that Mulroney received the payments in 1993/94 and hence that he would have committed perjury. It was also not known that Mulroney declared and paid tax on these payments after the taxation year. To do this, Mulroney used a special programme.

To date, we have not heard Mulroney's response to these recent allegations.

These allegations are not new at all. Here's an excerpt from a Feb. 2006 article in the Montreal Gazette that I previously posted:

Mulroney admitted to the $300,000 payment in 2002, six years after the defamation suit and his denial that he had business dealings with Schreiber.

At the time Mulroney's response was that Schreiber paid him the money for consulting services in connection with Schreiber's pasta venture for which Mulroney's international business connections were useful. The specific connection was that Mulroney was on the board of Archer, Daniels Midland a multinational that deals in wheat, a key pasta ingredient.

He also said he reported the money to the revenue service and paid all due taxes on it.

These allegations are not new at all. Here's an excerpt from a Feb. 2006 article in the Montreal Gazette that I previously posted:

The allegations that the deal was arranged in the last days the PM was in office is what Harper responded to.

Keepitsimple, if you go to the OP of this thread, you will see that - obviously - news of the $300,000 is not new. It has been the subject of discussion well before the Gazette article of 2006.

Until last week however, no one knew when exactly the payments were made and when Mulroney declared them as income for tax purposes. It has now came out that Mulroney declared the money later. This is news.

In addition, it is news that Schreiber alleges that Harper and Mulroney met at Harrington Lake and discussed the payments. Harper has stated that they met there but that they didn't discuss the money.

The allegations that the deal was arranged in the last days the PM was in office is what Harper responded to.
Specifically, Harper has said that he had to protect the integrity of the Office of the PM since Shreiber now claims that money was paid while Mulroney was in office. In addition, Harper's name itself was included in an affidavit of Schreiber.

As to what happened to Schreiber's letter:

Top bureaucrats say the correspondence was not considered important enough seven months ago to share with Harper.

The allegations contained in that letter were eventually taken seriously enough to prompt a review of his Conservative predecessor's relationship with Schreiber.

But when the correspondence arrived seven months ago, civil servants in the Privy Council Office never transferred it to their political bosses.

A Privy Council spokeswoman says the prime minister receives over one million letters a year, and over one million e-mails - all of it screened by a group of 35 people.

Someone within that group, called the Executive Correspondence Services, decided not to pass along the correspondence from March 29, 2007.

In that package of material, Schreiber said he entered into an agreement with Mulroney, while he was still prime minister in June 1993, to provide him with cash payments in exchange for services.

Harper launched a review last week when the same information was included in an Ontario court affidavit, and he instructed members of his government to cut off contact with Mulroney.

Canoe

I find this a little hard to believe. OTOH, Harper (or his staff) must have known that this case poses a potential problem for them.

Edited by August1991

I must admit that it's very interesting that the CBC has invested so much time over the years in trying to keep this story alive. Mulroney came out swinging today and has demanded a full public inquiry. Here's some of what he had to say:

Mulroney said he will meet with the adviser but he will come to that meeting with a call to bypass the step of an internal review and immediately establish a public inquiry covering the period from 1988 to the present day.

"Only then will the whole truth be finally exposed and tarnished reputations restored," the former prime minister said in the statement.

"I have come to the conclusion that in order to finally put this matter to rest and expose all the facts and the role played by all the people involved, from public servants to elected officials, from lobbyists to police authorities, as well as journalists, the only solution is for the government to launch a full-fledged public commission of inquiry."

The statement was read to The Canadian Press by longtime spokesman Luc Lavoie.

Mulroney has denied all accusations of impropriety and received a $2.1-million settlement after his name was publicly mentioned in connection with a 1995 investigation into the sale of Airbus jets to Air Canada.

He blames journalists for keeping those accusations alive.

"Twelve years later, the same people at the CBC and certain other people in the media who were at the origin of the 1995 accusations, are still conducting their vendetta."

Link: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/harper_mulroney

I must admit that it's very interesting that the CBC has invested so much time over the years in trying to keep this story alive. Mulroney came out swinging today and has demanded a full public inquiry. Here's some of what he had to say:

Well of course what else would he do? He hates the press as does a lot of conservatives.

That's misleading. The story was first investigated by Stevie Cameron and Willam Kaplan.

I didn't mean to mis-lead - I was really just picking up on what Mulroney said - accurate or not:

"Twelve years later, the same people at the CBC and certain other people in the media who were at the origin of the 1995 accusations, are still conducting their vendetta."

It was a politic move on his part. He wants a full inquiry about as much as anyone would want a 3 fingered prostate exam, in which case that is pretty much what he's going to get....

You can be sure of one thing though, his legal teams objective will be to obfuscate and delay and to drive the cost up as much as possible. Remember, the first $300K in legal expenses is a gimme....the there another million he can toss into the fight. He can afford to spend quite a bit before he even has to touch a penny he earned ethically.

I'm almost forced to listen to the CBC all day at work.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that they are almost the only media organization reporting on this story on a daily basis. They do not let up. They've even had panelists and guests to discuss it.

Ultimately, people don't want millions and millions spent on public inquires that prove nothing.

Of course, this latest story began when Schreiber has come out with the new allegations - filed affedavit and sent letter to PM. CBC should just have ignored this story - along with other inconvenient ones, like death penalty policy changes. Instead focusing on tax cuts and other (real or not so) priorities, as defined by the government. That would be our independent press.

I'm almost forced to listen to the CBC all day at work.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that they are almost the only media organization reporting on this story on a daily basis. They do not let up. They've even had panelists and guests to discuss it.

Well, aside from the G&M, CTV, Toronto Star, Cancom and Rogers, you're quite right.....

There are at least a few unanswered questions lingering from the Chretien era.

Schreiber says he has a suitcase full of interesting stuff to divulge in an enquiry. I have a feeling some of those goodies will be detrimental to Chretien and the machinations which took place just prior to Mulroney receiving his settlement.

IMO the Liberals have more to lose in this affair than the Conservatives.

1. Information detrimental to the old guard Liberals will be made public.

2. Canadians will be upset at having to foot the bill for a public enquiry. Harper resisted the Liberals call for an enquiry. They persisted non-stop. Now Harper had to reverse himself because of Schreiber's affidavit. Who can blame Mulroney for requesting an enquiry to clear his name? What will stick in the minds of Canadians is who was working relentlessly to keep this story alive? IMO they will conclude it was the Liberals and had they left sleeping dogs lie, we would not be facing the horrendous cost of a public enquiry.

3. Anything the Liberals will try to do in terms of presenting a policy platform to Canadians will be overshadowed by this public enquiry. Policy is dull but scandal is juicy. The media will be complicit in placing the enquiry on the front page and any Liberal policy objectives will take a back seat.

Moral? You reap what you sow.

Schreiber made the allegations in 2007. Maybe he didn't have a crystal ball? :lol:

What? It was revealed in 2003 that Mulroney accepted money from Schreiber (after having testified under oath that he never had any dealings with him). And in 2006 it was revealed that the money he accepted was connected to Airbus. If he wanted to clear his name, why didn't he do it then?

The RCMP are now investigating as well.

It never rains but it pours.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

he Mounties have launched a review into new claims made by European businessman Karlheinz Schreiber into his alleged dealings with former prime minister Brian Mulroney.

A spokesperson for the RCMP says the review will be done to determine if there should be a formal investigation.

The police review follows on the heels of an announcement by Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Tuesday that the government would launch a full public inquiry into the so-called Mulroney-Schreiber affair.

Harper told the House of Commons that there will be a formal inquiry into the matter -- but it won't come before an independent investigation outlining its parameters.

This is all pretty simple, really. LAs in the PMO have to prepare what could very loosely be described as "briefs" on everything mailed to the PMO. Sometimes they are categorized and included in bulk notations, and sometimes they are noted as exceptional items. That's their job. These alleged "briefs" are sent daily to the next level of advisor, who decides what. if anything, should be passed on to the PM. I know this, because that used to be my job...not in the PMO, but for the whip.

There is absolutely no reason for the PM to have read briefs or anything else about a private lawsuit. There is no reason for an advisor to bother the PM with some lawsuit, which to all appearances is a continuation of a witch hunt after a former PM from damned near 20 years ago. Dion is simply showing his lack of honesty in pretending to be shocked that Harper wasn't all over this.

However, when a court document mentions the sitting PM, you'd better believe the advisors are going to start sending this stuff on the the PM. Which is, of course, what happened. And it's hardly surprising that Harper would immediately call an inquiry, because A ) He has nothing to hide, and B ) because he doesn't want to give Dion anything to further garble the English language over.

It appears the Globe & Mail is the only member of the fourth estate to actually publish Margaret Wente's OP detailing the machinations of K. Schrieber in his quest to avoid or delay his extradition to his homeland. In his efforts to explain this letter to Brian Mulroney in 2006 he is now claiming Mulroney asked him to write the letter. I wonder just how gullible this Schrieber thinks Canadians are to believe Mulroney is as persuasive or sincere enough to charm this Schreiber into declaring in writing the legitimacy of his dealings with Mulroney. In other words a complete contradiction of his present claims via letters to all political parties and his affidavit, et al.

With any luck at all Schrieber will be on an aircraft back to Germany on Friday to face all of the charges against him.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...NStory/National

In the summer of 2006, Brian Mulroney got out his famous Rolodex and began phoning his many friends. There was something he wanted to share with them, he confided in that famous baritone. He had received a letter from Karlheinz Schreiber, apologizing for any trouble he had caused him. Mr. Schreiber referred to "a very painful misunderstanding between us" that had been cleared up, and said he had been duped into appearing on the CBC's fifth estate insinuating that there was something fishy about their dealings. He described them both as the innocent victims of a vendetta.

"There is no 'Airbus Affair' involving Brian Mulroney and furthermore there is nothing to hide," he wrote. "The discussion and financial arrangements between you and me about future industrial projects have been correct, private and nobody's business. You were the best advocate I could have retained."

Why was Mr. Mulroney so eager to share this letter? Obviously, the former prime minister wanted to reassure his supporters that the $300,000 in cash he had received from Mr. Schreiber was for legitimate business purposes. Mr. Schreiber himself said so.

Later, however, Mr. Schreiber changed his mind. He is currently suing for his money back, claiming that Mr. Mulroney did nothing to earn it.

`

Flaws of logic in Schreiber Affidavit hint to possible Mulroney defence strategy

The stench some are trying to raise – and it’s the overriding flavour throughout the Fifth Estate special – is that somehow the $300K in cash payments Mr. Mulroney received were somehow tied to the Airbus deal.
The intent of the Fifth piece is for the viewer to come away thinking something fishy about the cash payments. There is an implied yet unmistakable “nudge-nudge wink-wink” that envelopes full of cash were in fact future tokens of appreciations - allegedly agreed to at Harrington Lake on Mr. Mulroney's final days as Prime Minister - to be given to Mr. Mulroney for his part in ensuring the Airbus deal went a certain way. Watch the Fifth Estate piece, here, and tell me that isn’t the gist of what the show's producers want you, in Mr. Schriber's own words, to believe.
Mr. Schreiber can't have it both ways. On the Fifth Estate, the $300K is reportedly in connection with Mr. Mulroney's alleged role in greasing the Airbus wheels, yet in Mr. Schreiber's most recent Affidavit it's for greasing the wheels of light armoured vehicles and pasta processes. Which is it?

If the $300K is for Mr. Mulroney's role in greasing Airbus, why is Mr. Schreiber asking for that money back in paragraph 41 of his Affidavit? Did the Airbus deal not proceed as planned, with some $20 Million in additional commission payouts?

Mulroney is sure he's going to win......if he does, get ready to see another even bigger payout to the ex-PM by the taxpayers and I would say a law suit will follow against the CBC and the Fifth Estate with even more taxpayer dollars for that one.

Flaws of logic in Schreiber Affidavit hint to possible Mulroney defence strategyMulroney is sure he's going to win......if he does, get ready to see another even bigger payout to the ex-PM by the taxpayers and I would say a law suit will follow against the CBC and the Fifth Estate with even more taxpayer dollars for that one.
I am not sure why BM would be entitled to any further payments from the taxpayers since the government is responding to serious allegations in a sworn affidavit. If BM wants to sue for defamation he will have to go after Schrieber. More importantly, BM needs to explain why he would even consider accepting that amount of cash in return for future services unless he was 1) trying to evade taxes or 2) being paid to do something unethical/illegal. Inconsistencies in Schrieber's story won't allow BM to avoid the questions created by the cash payments. Edited by Riverwind

I am not sure why BM would be entitled to any further payments from the taxpayers since the government is responding to serious allegations in a sworn affidavit. If BM wants to sue for defamation he will have to go after Schrieber. More importantly, BM needs to explain why he would even consider accepting that amount of cash in return for future services unless he was 1) trying to evade taxes or 2) being paid to do something unethical/illegal. Inconsistencies in Schrieber's story won't allow BM to avoid the questions created by the cash payments.
I agree.

Harper said that he asked for this enquiry because there were allegations about the PMO under Mulroney (and allegations including Harper's name). Nevertheless, Harper doesn't want to set or limit the agenda of the enquiry.

Frankly, I have a vague suspicion that Wente in the column above comes closest to the truth. Schreiber hired Mulroney to promote Schreiber and Mulroney is not one to refuse a few bucks. It probably suited both to be paid in cash and then Mulroney realized the stupidity of that. Keep in mind that Schreiber helped finance Mulroney's first run at the Tory leadership. There are people like Schreiber in this world who spend money on famous people so that they can then name-drop.

It's curious that Marc Lalonde ponied up for Schreiber's bail money and still says nice things about him:

Former Liberal minister Marc Lalonde says he would gladly post bail again for businessman Karlheinz Schreiber, just as the Trudeau-era cabinet member has done several times over the last eight years.

Lalonde's enduring association with Schreiber is one of the more curious twists in the long and winding tale of former prime minister Brian Mulroney's dealings with the German-Canadian entrepreneur.

"He calls me every once in a while, and I occasionally see him either when I'm in Toronto, or sometimes he comes to see me, with his wife, and my wife in Montreal," Lalonde said Tuesday in an interview from Havana.

"We've carried (on) a social relationship over the years."

Link

Elmer Mackay is also connected to Schreiber as well as that political gadfly animal Frank Moores.

I don't believe the $300,000 were connected to the Airbus contract and this would be hard to prove anyway. OTOH, Mulroney might be charged with tax evasion or perjury.

----

One can't help but believe that Harper got into politics in part because he had a distaste for these kind of shenanigans. Rene Levesque had a similar distaste.