A return to sanity: 2007

The old "T" card. That's all there is in the view-finder of neo-cons in Canada, USA, and Israel. Reality is not quite that simple though. The vast majority of this nation of 4 million that's being destroyed are not terrorists. As well, the amount of terrorism coming out of Hezbollah has been pretty scant for quite a while.

I guess September 11, 2001, March 11, 2004 (Spain), July 11, 2005 (London) weren't major and disruptive developments in your book?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old "T" card. That's all there is in the view-finder of neo-cons in Canada, USA, and Israel. Reality is not quite that simple though. The vast majority of this nation of 4 million that's being destroyed are not terrorists. As well, the amount of terrorism coming out of Hezbollah has been pretty scant for quite a while.

I guess September 11, 2001, March 11, 2004 (Spain), July 11, 2005 (London) weren't major and disruptive developments in your book?

What do those have to do with Hezbollah?

Do you really respect these barbarians' carving themselves up into largely meaningless separate "entities"?

Do you really respect these barbarians' carving themselves up into largely meaningless separate "entities"?

What are you talking about? I don't respect anything hezbollah or al qaeda does....but what does hezbollah have to do with 9/11?

Spread islamo-fascism, check.

Kill all the jews, check.

Destroy Israel, check.

Terrorize the west, check.

jbg is right....other than the names, there's not a lick of difference.

Thanks. Remember the Barbary Pirates, after all? They believed they were entitled to white Christians as slaves.

Lebanon is not being destroyed. Who was it posted that item from the reporter in Lebanon, talking about how, if you look at the tv shows, you'd think all of Lebanon looked like Dresden in 1945, but that, in actuality, aside from a few small areas, mainly in the south and south beirut, the country is untouched.

Yeah, right.

Lebanon not being destroyed

Lebanon is not being destroyed. Who was it posted that item from the reporter in Lebanon, talking about how, if you look at the tv shows, you'd think all of Lebanon looked like Dresden in 1945, but that, in actuality, aside from a few small areas, mainly in the south and south beirut, the country is untouched.

Yeah, right.

Well, with no roads, bridges or airports, I'd likely say the country is destroyed. But hey, who needs infrastructure anyways? Just ride a bike! <_<

Just because two groups share similar ideology does not mean that hezbollah killed anyone on september 11. By that logic I could say that every murderer in the world is responsible for 9/11 since they all have the same killing ideology.

No one is saying Hezbollah killed anyone on Sept. 11. All that I'm saying is there isn't any difference between the groups. They might as well all be named the same damn thing.

Well, with no roads, bridges or airports, I'd likely say the country is destroyed. But hey, who needs infrastructure anyways? Just ride a bike! <_<

Don't forget no coastline. Not one that isn't soaked with oil due to Israel spilling 15,000 tonnes by bombing a coastal power plant.

Israel must've been sitting around the table coming up with ideas when all of a sudden it hit them...

Let's bomb that power plant so 15,000 tonnes of oil can ruin the water that not only Lebanon uses but we use as well. Let's pollute our own country, that's a great idea.

Or do you think it went something more like, we need to destroy that power plant because it powers hezbollah installations and we need to prevent them from being able to attack Israel any longer.

The oil spill is a horrible thing, but to paint the picture like Israel intentionally polluted the coastline is asinine at best. Israel is fighting for the lives of its people and it's too bad that sh*t happens when you go to war, but your blame is completely misdirected. It's about time you started pointing the finger at and condemning Hezbollah for firing rockets from neighbourhoods, knowing full well that those sites will be targeted for destruction. You should be blaming the terrorists for setting up shop in hospitals that are powered by powerplants filled with oil on the coastline.

Yeah, right.

No, it's not. And $2.5billion is about the estimated cost of a proposed light rail system through Ottawa.

A lot of money, yeah, but hardly the cost of a nation destroyed.

Yeah, right.

Get real. You don't "destroy" a road with a few bombs - unless it's a very short road. Some of the bridges to the south and to Syria have been destroyed or damaged. I'm sure the Lebanese will put them back up again.

The ifastructure that have been destroyed are most of the kind to do with transportation. It is rebuildable in relatively short times but also there are many temporary bridges that can be setup quite quickly one hostilities cease. It looks like the Israelli army will be staying around for a while and I am sure they will make sure that there are road ways from Israel to where they now are that are open to all and the necessary food and commodities will get through to thise areas. The infastructure ahead of these troop positions will also be temporariy setup up and I am sure that goods will flow once agin through there. Most of the Bridges I saw were over dry river beds and I am sure that they will easily get past most of these with a few days of bulldozing etc. I giess it all comes down to where the line is drawn for where the Israelli troop are dug it to.

I am lost. Where is this thread going???

I'm too young to remember the National Energy Program except for what I have read about it, but I don't think that's the issue here. Besides, how can the current Liberal party be blamed for something that happened in the 70's?
The National Energy Program speaks volumes of the federal Liberal party track record. The Adscam also speaks volumes. I do not like their track record.

CAVEAT: That is not to say that the other parties are better.

If we assume that no-one in the Liberal party was responsible for the sponsorship scandal, then yes I would give them a clean slate. If there is any evidence to suggest that there are current members who were involved in the sponsorship scandal, or even knew about it, then I would say no they do not deserve a clean slate. But so far I have not seen that evidence.
That is a difference in opinion that can not be argued. I am glad that you stated it.

In my opinion, several repeated injustices by the same political party makes me doubt the sincerity of any new members of the party. I would not give them a second chance.

Just because two groups share similar ideology does not mean that hezbollah killed anyone on september 11. By that logic I could say that every murderer in the world is responsible for 9/11 since they all have the same killing ideology.

No one is saying Hezbollah killed anyone on Sept. 11. All that I'm saying is there isn't any difference between the groups. They might as well all be named the same damn thing.

Well I certainly don't agree with what hezbollah is doing, but giving them the same name as al-qaeda is implying that they were involved in the sept 11 attacks. This is along the lines of what bush did to try and justify the war in iraq. By trying to link saddam with al-qaeda he was trying to make people believe that saddam was responsible for 9/11. By that same logic we should call timothy mcveigh and ted kaczynski al-qaeda because they are all cold blooded murderers.

• 3 weeks later...
The left needs to unite now. That would bring true progress and democracy to Canada.
By my count, there are now three forums for "progressive" Canadians because of various arguments among posters. And you talk about "uniting the left". Huh?

The Liberals in general and the current leading leadership candidate in particular are anathema to most NDPers and the Greens just selected an activist, "progressive" leader who will draw votes away from the NDP. Progressives talk about co-operation in theory but invariably wind up in splinter groups violently opposed to one another.

In any case, summer polls are meaningless. No one is really paying attention.

The left needs to unite now.
I agree with that statement -- only if "the Left" wants control.
That would bring true progress and democracy to Canada.
I disagree. I doubt that "the Left" would bring anything except true regression and continue the illusion of democracy.
The Liberals in general and the current leading leadership candidate in particular are anathema to most NDPers and the Greens just selected an activist, "progressive" leader who will draw votes away from the NDP. Progressives talk about co-operation in theory but invariably wind up in splinter groups violently opposed to one another.
Sounds like the perfect conditions for a Tory majority.

The left needs to unite now.
I agree with that statement -- only if "the Left" wants control.

What do we mean by 'the Left'? The Liberal party I have voted for is a centrist party, not a "Left" party.

Apparently the Greens are also not interested in the idea of 'Left', prefering to see themselves as having concerns apart from these concepts.

So, what left is there to unite? The NDP and the Marxist-Leninist Party? The NDP and the Bloc?

The Liberals haven't been centrist since the early 90's.

geoffrey

I agree - but the folks you might argue this point with do not realize how far to the left the "centrist" line has moved.

We are a product of a very successful social re-engineering program started long ago by that dastardly PET. He is beloved in the east by many, but most folks west of the Ontario / Manitoba border would as soon pee on his grave if given the chance.

Right wing today is to stand up and say you do not believe in homosexual marriage.

Some years ago that was considered the norm.

Have a good one,

Borg

geoffrey

I agree - but the folks you might argue this point with do not realize how far to the left the "centrist" line has moved.

We are a product of a very successful social re-engineering program started long ago by that dastardly PET. He is beloved in the east by many, but most folks west of the Ontario / Manitoba border would as soon pee on his grave if given the chance.

Right wing today is to stand up and say you do not believe in homosexual marriage.

Some years ago that was considered the norm.

Have a good one,

Borg

Well said Borg, welcome to the forum!