Mel Gibson Apologizes for Tirade After Arrest

Guest Warwick Green

Guest Warwick Green

Mel Gibson apoligized a second time "to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words" when he was arrested for investigation of drunken driving.

Could it be Mel Gibson's acting abilities extend out into his private life?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...4_gibson02.html

I started boycotting Mel Gibson's movies boycotting when he made Passion of the Christ. I stopped going to his movies when he made Bird on a Wire. <heh>

Still haven't seen Braveheart. And never will now.

Man, if you boycott based on every movie star's stupid behaviour, you'll have a mighty short list of movies you allow yourself to watch. BTW, Braveheart was incredible and still is.

I'm more concerned about the drunk driving charge than his racial slurs. He could have killed someone.

Mel Gibson's movies are not the type I enjoy. The only one I have seen is Hamlet where he gave an empathetic portrayl of the Bard's most famous character. However, based on his personality, I think he is more suited for Macbeth or Iago. :)

Someone who won't go to Gibson's movies because of his anti-semitism is not likely to be listening to any Wagnerian operas. Wagner makes Gibson look like a member of the Jewish Defense League.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, it's sad, poor ol' Mel got caught with his tongue out again. He'll be punished alright, won't see many more Mel movies.

And by the way Warwick,Jews did kill Jesus. Unless you don't believe in the Bible... which likely would mean you don't believe in Jesus... which likely would mean that that comment was irrelevant.

They also told me he had been sentenced by a Roman tribunal. Was that a lie too? :)

Today you would say that a few Jews 2000 years ago were associated with Jesus's death. You would avoid the implication that in some way ALL Jews shared the responsibilty as I was taught.

No, if you remember Pilate washed his hands and turned him over to the Jewish priests.

That being said, no I don't blame current Jews for it, that'd be ridiculous. I'm the one that doesn't support land claims because I don't believe ancestory means anything. How could I possibly blame current Jews for Jesus's death. I'm not anti-semetic in anyway.

so you don't blame "current jews" for it. How "Christian" of you to say that. Can you not see the irony in what you just stated? Implicit in your comment is that you do blame Jews, just not the current ones.

Is that what you meant?

The passion play which you refer to has been the major crux of the concept that Jews had a collective moral responsibility for the death of Jesus. Your sudden liberalism and tolerance of current Jews is commendable but it misses the point.

The original passion play which depicts Jesus being turned over to Jewish Priests who then are responsible for turning the people against him, was used for thousands of years to justify the notion that until all Jews repent for their sins and accept Christ as their saviour, the world is doomed. yes the current Catholic chuch finally stated that the concept of collective guilt to be imposed on all Jews is wrong but it does not address the issue which you continue to miss, that Christianity believes that anyone who does not believe Jesus was their saviour is going to hell. That concept is what continues to breed the intolerance adn bigotry and your being liberal and not being anti-semitic is not the issue. By the way why is it people feel the need to preface their remarks with saying they have no prejudices. We all have them. get over it. I can assure you-you have misconceptions about Jews that would make you ignorant. Are you a hateful person and hate Jews of course not. And as for me, I may not hate people but of course I am ignorant and full of preconceptions thta may cause ignorance and prejudice. We all are. Get over it. This Liberal guilt is a waste of energy.

He who is without sin cast the first stone

jbobbin you do not believe, yet here you are accussing a brother, on whose authourity

This is nothing but "gossip"

peace

Please don't quote scripture to me. I saw him on the record saying what he said against gays.

I have a gay brother in law and I think his comments were over the line, don't you?

I have not watched a recent Mel Gibson movie since.

Only Lucipher, would through stones at Satan.

Mel was repeating what some one else has said, and was taught

hate and lies.people are blaming the wrong one

Where there is know talebearer, contention and strife cease.

sorry for the scipture but you are in the zone

peace

In this case it was Mel's brain and Mel's mouth and it is now Mel's pr machine in full spin control. Satan has been working overtime with Tom Cruise.

He clocked in at .12, one beer beyond the level of impairment. He therefore wasn't pissed out of his mind and would have been sober enough to keep his tongue in check
Not necessarily. If he's taking any perscription medication, the effects of alcohol can be greatly increased.
He belongs to a far-right Catholic
Actually, it's the far-right Catholics that are the only one's left defending Israel at the present time.
And by the way Warwick,Jews did kill Jesus. Unless you don't believe in the Bible... which likely would mean you don't believe in Jesus... which likely would mean that that comment was irrelevant
LOL!!!
Still haven't seen Braveheart. And never will now.
That's a shame. Bravheart is one of the best movies ever. You should see it. It has nothing to do with religion.

Ok, on to Mel Gibson. Obviously what Gibson said was ignorant beyond belief. I'm glad he apologized, I'm really glad he's seeking some help, and I definitely realize that many people may not accept his apology for very legitimate reasons. That being said, he didn't say anthing that Cindy Sheehan hasn't said, sober. And he didn't drive his car in a lake, drowning a woman, while waiting 9 hours to report the accident. Let's try and put all this in perspective. :)

That being said, he didn't say anthing that Cindy Sheehan hasn't said, sober. And he didn't drive his car in a lake, drowning a woman, while waiting 9 hours to report the accident. Let's try and put all this in perspective. :)

Your missing the point.

As a hollywood celebrity perhaps he was tring to establish a Jewish hate precedent amoung hollywood celebrities.

The hollywood entertainment industry harbours a lot of jews.

To say what Mel gibson said could be seen to entice an open revolt against a constituted authority (jews) in hollywood.

This is serious.

Only Lucipher, would through stones at Satan.

Mel was repeating what some one else has said, and was taught

hate and lies.people are blaming the wrong one

Where there is know talebearer, contention and strife cease.

sorry for the scipture but you are in the zone

Is there a reason that you take the religion of the people that settled in North America?

And if no one takes personal responsibility for what they do and say, no one is really accountable.

i do not follow what the settlers brought here i try to follow what the peacemaker (jesus) taught we already knew.What the settlers brought was lies and half truths.For you see we exepted the words of the creator the hebrews did not, well some did.

Vengence is mine sayeth the lord,I will recompense. Judge not less ye be judged

Who holds the world leaders responsible for murdering and destroying the planet

Jesus said, to turn the other cheek, we are running out of cheeks to turn

i do not follow what the settlers brought here i try to follow what the peacemaker (jesus) taught we already knew.What the settlers brought was lies and half truths.For you see we exepted the words of the creator the hebrews did not, well some did.

Vengence is mine sayeth the lord,I will recompense. Judge not less ye be judged

Who holds the world leaders responsible for murdering and destroying the planet

Jesus said, to turn the other cheek, we are running out of cheeks to turn

I'll not be responding further and have reported this post as religious trolling.

That being said, he didn't say anthing that Cindy Sheehan hasn't said, sober. And he didn't drive his car in a lake, drowning a woman, while waiting 9 hours to report the accident. Let's try and put all this in perspective. :)

Your missing the point.

As a hollywood celebrity perhaps he was tring to establish a Jewish hate precedent amoung hollywood celebrities.

To say what Mel gibson said could be seen to entice an open revolt against a constituted authority (jews) in hollywood.

This is serious.

Your answer however is blatantly anti-semitic and disparaging whether you intended it as a joke or not. Your response necessarily feeds into this myth and stereotype that Jews own and ominate Hollywood which is utter and absolute b.s. and whether you intended this innocently or are trying to be smarmy its repulsive. Jews like Gays, Blacks, Latinoes, Women, and every other ethnic, sexual, and religious group are represented in Hollywood and whether his remarks insult Jews or insult anyone else, that is what they are being taken to task for. No one is trying to establish a Jewish hate precedent among Hollywood celebrities, there is no Zionist offensive going on in Hollywood and no there is no Jewish conspiracy as much as you would like to infer it. His comments showed hatred, ignorance, and a mind that stereotypes with gros generalizations. His excuse is alcohol, what is yours?

When his movie "The Passion of the Christ" was released two years ago there were allegations of anti-Semitism against Gibson.

By ALLISON HOPE WEINER

Published: July 30, 2006

MALIBU, Calif., July 29 — The film star and director Mel Gibson apologized Saturday for belligerent behavior and for saying what he called “despicable” things that he does “not believe to be true” when he was arrested here on a drunken-driving charge early Friday.

But Mr. Gibson, in a statement, stopped short of addressing claims that he made virulently anti-Semitic remarks to an arresting officer, as described on a Web site that posted several pages of the sheriff’s report.

The sheriff’s report, carried on TMZ.com, a Web site owned by Time Warner, said Mr. Gibson had demanded to know if the officer, James Mee, was a Jew. During an obscenity-laced tirade, according to the report, Mr. Gibson also said “the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world"....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/us/30gibson.html

I've seen the Passion of Christ and no, I didn't see it as anti-Jew.

But reading this allegations about his anti-semitism....IF Mel Gibson thinks reminding Christians that Jews killed Christ, and therefore should be hated....I'm not buying that (even though I liked most of his movies).

Christians should be reminded that Jesus was a Jew.

Btw, from what I've read somewhere...his dad was an anti-semite. Even published newsletters.

When his movie "The Passion of the Christ" was released two years ago there were allegations of anti-Semitism against Gibson.

By ALLISON HOPE WEINER

Published: July 30, 2006

MALIBU, Calif., July 29 — The film star and director Mel Gibson apologized Saturday for belligerent behavior and for saying what he called “despicable” things that he does “not believe to be true” when he was arrested here on a drunken-driving charge early Friday.

But Mr. Gibson, in a statement, stopped short of addressing claims that he made virulently anti-Semitic remarks to an arresting officer, as described on a Web site that posted several pages of the sheriff’s report.

The sheriff’s report, carried on TMZ.com, a Web site owned by Time Warner, said Mr. Gibson had demanded to know if the officer, James Mee, was a Jew. During an obscenity-laced tirade, according to the report, Mr. Gibson also said “the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world"....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/us/30gibson.html

I've seen the Passion of Christ and no, I didn't see it as anti-Jew.

But reading this allegations about his anti-semitism....IF Mel Gibson thinks reminding Christians that Jews killed Christ, and therefore should be hated....I'm not buying that (even though I liked most of his movies).

Christians should be reminded that Jesus was a Jew.

Btw, from what I've read somewhere...his dad was an anti-semite. Even published newsletters.

I truly believe Mel Gibson absolutely believes in the traditional passion play he depicted in his movie and can not in his mind understand its corelation to anti-semitism.

That said, I believe his comments about Jews when he was drunk should be no suprise to anyone. He is the son of an extreme racist and bigot who preaches hatred against Jews and so he has probably been exposed to it since he was a pup.

I also believe he is sick and deliberately did this as a cry for help. He is self-destructing. Yes he should be taken to task for it, but I think when people do this kind of stuff we need to help them and try have them learn from their mistakes and forgive them if possible.

The irony is Mel Gibson like a lot of anti-semites has jewish friends and is probably very loyal to his Jewiosh friends. That is entirely possible. Sometimes we attack that which we think we hate but secretly inside we think may help us. I personally think that is what he is doing-in his own twisted way asking for help and I personally think he attacked Jews because I am not sure he is getting the answers he wants from his own Christian group. Obviously something deep inside him is not working.

I truly believe Mel Gibson absolutely believes in the traditional passion play he depicted in his movie and can not in his mind understand its corelation to anti-semitism.

That said, I believe his comments about Jews when he was drunk should be no suprise to anyone. He is the son of an extreme racist and bigot who preaches hatred against Jews and so he has probably been exposed to it since he was a pup.

I also believe he is sick and deliberately did this as a cry for help. He is self-destructing. Yes he should be taken to task for it, but I think when people do this kind of stuff we need to help them and try have them learn from their mistakes and forgive them if possible.

The irony is Mel Gibson like a lot of anti-semites has jewish friends and is probably very loyal to his Jewiosh friends. That is entirely possible. Sometimes we attack that which we think we hate but secretly inside we think may help us. I personally think that is what he is doing-in his own twisted way asking for help and I personally think he attacked Jews because I am not sure he is getting the answers he wants from his own Christian group. Obviously something deep inside him is not working.

For goodness sake it was a little tirade... nothing more. It's not like he stood on a pulpit (or soapbox) and spouted hatred. How many people actually heard what he said? A couple of police officers and a passerby or two maybe. Much worse has been said by much better people (I never liked him much anyway -- far too religious for my taste).

So anyone who says negative things about muslims are "twisted and asking for help" or "not getting the answers they want from their own *insert group name here* group", or "Obviously something deep inside them is not working." or perhaps they are "sick and deliberately did this as a cry for help".

Come on... it was a little tirade and people want to send him to the nuthouse because he "needs help". Sheesh.

Sounds like 1984 don't it?

Yeah, like I said earlier, the guy who shot up the Jewish center(or whatever it was) and killed someone got less time in the media than Mel mouthing off. There is something wrong with that. Oh wait, it's because the guy was a Muslim, and the MSM doesn't want anyone to think bad of them. I'm glad I get my news elsewhere.

[For goodness sake it was a little tirade... nothing more.

Sometimes, those "unguarded" little tirades reveal the inner self. I like Mel Gibson, don't get me wrong...and I still do. But I think he's struggling with himself.

I think he is part looney...that's why he does those looney characters so well (Lethal Weapons and Conspiracy Theory). :D

At least let's give him credit for apologizing.

One cannot switch personality, thoughts and shake off hardened convictions overnight. I think he is trying.

Yeah, like I said earlier, the guy who shot up the Jewish center(or whatever it was) and killed someone got less time in the media than Mel mouthing off. There is something wrong with that. Oh wait, it's because the guy was a Muslim, and the MSM doesn't want anyone to think bad of them. I'm glad I get my news elsewhere.

Or maybe it was because the Seattle shooter was a violent lone nut, the kind that is all too typical in America, wheras Gibson is a household name, a millionaire celebrity. Amerian media is celeberity-driven, especially when it comes to celeberity scandals. There's no Muslimofascistninjacommie conspiracy here. Put down the Marky Steyn column and come back to reality.

Your missing the point.

This is serious.

Your answer however is blatantly anti-semitic and disparaging whether you intended it as a joke or not. Your response necessarily feeds into this myth and stereotype that Jews own and ominate Hollywood which is utter and absolute b.s. and whether you intended this innocently or are trying to be smarmy its repulsive. Jews like Gays, Blacks, Latinoes, Women, and every other ethnic, sexual, and religious group are represented in Hollywood and whether his remarks insult Jews or insult anyone else, that is what they are being taken to task for. No one is trying to establish a Jewish hate precedent among Hollywood celebrities, there is no Zionist offensive going on in Hollywood and no there is no Jewish conspiracy as much as you would like to infer it. His comments showed hatred, ignorance, and a mind that stereotypes with gros generalizations. His excuse is alcohol, what is yours?

Jews run Hollywood!!!

http://www.eonline.com/Features/Specials/Jews/

There's a difference between pointing out that, yes, there are a lot of Jewish people in the entertainment/media industry, and implying that this is part of some organized conspiracy, which is what anti-semites charge.

Is there a law against speculating?

Mel Gibson appears to be intelligent and neither I nor Rue or anyone else can probe Gibson's inner mind.

It should appear fairly obvious for an intelligent person to speak such damming words even when drunk indicates an interior motive.

Anything is possible and that is what we are discussing.

Individuals with personal sensitivities in certain areas they know they are sensitive should not take part in discussions that might rattle their intellect and cause them to fly off the handle.

The bible holds ample evidences that Jesus cares for the people of Israel. From what I understand, the only thing that stands between them and God is their stubborn refusal to acknowledge Christ as the Son of God.

One passage strikes me for it is how Israel is today:

Luke 19:41 Jesus weeps over Jerusalem

"He came closer to the city and when He saw it He wept over it, saying "If you only knew today what is needed for peace! But now you cannot see it! The days will come upon you when your enemies will surround you with barricades, blockade you, and close in on you from every side. They will completely destroy you and the people within your walls; not a single stone will they leave in its place, because you did not recognise the time when God came to save you!"

Individuals with personal sensitivities in certain areas they know they are sensitive should not take part in discussions that might rattle their intellect and cause them to fly off the handle.

A lesson for you and the rest of the forumites.

The real problem Newbie is many minorties who frequent these forums with a personal agenda, this one included.

Is there a law against speculating?

No. You can speculate about all kinds of stuff-for example, that the Holocaust did not happen-but don't be surprised if people take umbrage.

Surley, you are not making an analogy that justifies the Holocaust and Gibson's unknown inner thoghts or motovations as being on the same level?

If Gibson mouthed off thats not my fault nor did he explain why he said what he said outside of offering an apology.

We have every right to explore the reason's as to why he said what he did or discount it as trivial or whatever. That right is called free speech and we are in the moral section.

For anyone to feel offended PROOF is required to express outrage directed at others. In this case there is no proof to support Mr. Gibson.

Mr. Gibson's reason's are unknown for saying what he said making him a legitimate target for speculation.

Sharkman is right though, religious people are in open season in the media these days. The news people just can't wait to portray a loony religious person... unfortunately (I don't agree with Gibson said about Jews this time) Gibson does have some good things to say at times.

No. The media is all over Gibson because he's a racist who has lashed out at Jews before.

I am Catholic and feel no persecution, but would expect to if I was a loose-lipped bigot like Gibson.

And I don't buy his apologies. In vino veritas.

For goodness sake it was a little tirade... nothing more. It's not like he stood on a pulpit (or soapbox) and spouted hatred. How many people actually heard what he said? A couple of police officers and a passerby or two maybe. Much worse has been said by much better people (I never liked him much anyway -- far too religious for my taste).

So anyone who says negative things about muslims are "twisted and asking for help" or "not getting the answers they want from their own *insert group name here* group", or "Obviously something deep inside them is not working." or perhaps they are "sick and deliberately did this as a cry for help".

Come on... it was a little tirade and people want to send him to the nuthouse because he "needs help". Sheesh.

Sounds like 1984 don't it?

See that is the difference between you and I. In my world when people get drunk not once, but on many instances, and lose control, I think it is a sign something is wrong. From the sound of your response, you feel it is just a little joke. Do me a favour, the next time you are drunk and start popping off at the mouth about anyone, don't drive and don't be suprised if you get a fat lip.