Mel Gibson Apologizes for Tirade After Arrest

Guest Warwick Green

Guest Warwick Green

When his movie "The Passion of the Christ" was released two years ago there were allegations of anti-Semitism against Gibson.

Mel Gibson Apologizes for Tirade After Arrest

By ALLISON HOPE WEINER

Published: July 30, 2006

MALIBU, Calif., July 29 — The film star and director Mel Gibson apologized Saturday for belligerent behavior and for saying what he called “despicable” things that he does “not believe to be true” when he was arrested here on a drunken-driving charge early Friday.

But Mr. Gibson, in a statement, stopped short of addressing claims that he made virulently anti-Semitic remarks to an arresting officer, as described on a Web site that posted several pages of the sheriff’s report.

The sheriff’s report, carried on TMZ.com, a Web site owned by Time Warner, said Mr. Gibson had demanded to know if the officer, James Mee, was a Jew. During an obscenity-laced tirade, according to the report, Mr. Gibson also said “the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world"....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/us/30gibson.html

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes! A pretty horrible situation. That poor officer.

These statements don't just come out of nowhere. Most alcoholics don't lash out with politcal statements that are so pointed. I have no idea how he can explain it away.

Guest Warwick Green
Yikes! A pretty horrible situation. That poor officer.

These statements don't just come out of nowhere. Most alcoholics don't lash out with politcal statements that are so pointed. I have no idea how he can explain it away.

He clocked in at .12, one beer beyond the level of impairment. He therefore wasn't pissed out of his mind and would have been sober enough to keep his tongue in check. He belongs to a far-right Catholic cult that could well still propogate what I was taught in Sunday School - "The Jews killed Jesus".

Yep, he was responsible for his words of racism, under the influence or not. He should be ashamed that he's allowed racism to creep into his mind.

It seems rather ironic, however, that when some in our society use being drunk as an excuse for all types of crimes(from rape to murder) and lifestyles now won't give Mel a second chance for something (the racist remarks) that isn't even a crime.

The Main Stream Media is on him like white on rice, but they gave Woody Allen a much easier time when he left his wife and married his own STEP DAUGHTER!! He's doing fine, and has directed many movies since. The reason the MSM has dropped the hammer on Mel is simple: he's a conservative Cathlolic, therefore it's open season on him. For instance, this story has been repeated for three days and has been in the news longer than the Jewish center that was shot up. As if it's worse.

I predict once the MSM get over themselves and quit asking to each other whether Mel's career is over, he'll be back at it, making movies just like before. And maybe a little wiser.

The Main Stream Media is on him like white on rice, but they gave Woody Allen a much easier time when he left his wife and married his own STEP DAUGHTER!! He's doing fine, and has directed many movies since. The reason the MSM has dropped the hammer on Mel is simple: he's a conservative Cathlolic, therefore it's open season on him.

You think they went easy on Woody Allen? He was the subject of every front page around the world. They even did a Law & Order episode about it. <heh>

Ya, it's sad, poor ol' Mel got caught with his tongue out again. He'll be punished alright, won't see many more Mel movies.

And by the way Warwick,Jews did kill Jesus. Unless you don't believe in the Bible... which likely would mean you don't believe in Jesus... which likely would mean that that comment was irrelevant.

The Main Stream Media is on him like white on rice, but they gave Woody Allen a much easier time when he left his wife and married his own STEP DAUGHTER!! He's doing fine, and has directed many movies since. The reason the MSM has dropped the hammer on Mel is simple: he's a conservative Cathlolic, therefore it's open season on him.

I wouldn't say that Mel Gibson is a conservative, except on a few issues. His comments were almost certainly in response to the current conflict in the middle east, and he was clearly siding with hezbollah et al., which is usually reserved for the fringe-left. Typically conservatives (ie bush & harper) tend to side with Israel.

I wouldn't say that Mel Gibson is a conservative, except on a few issues. His comments were almost certainly in response to the current conflict in the middle east, and he was clearly siding with hezbollah et al., which is usually reserved for the fringe-left. Typically conservatives (ie bush & harper) tend to side with Israel.

I'm very conservative and don't side with Israel. I don't think the middle-east is so cut and dry upon party lines.

There are liberal and conservative arguments against Israel's action... and liberal and conservative arguments supporting Israel's action.

Sharkman is right though, religious people are in open season in the media these days. The news people just can't wait to portray a loony religious person... unfortunately (I don't agree with Gibson said about Jews this time) Gibson does have some good things to say at times.

I'm very conservative and don't side with Israel. I don't think the middle-east is so cut and dry upon party lines.

There are liberal and conservative arguments against Israel's action... and liberal and conservative arguments supporting Israel's action.

Sharkman is right though, religious people are in open season in the media these days. The news people just can't wait to portray a loony religious person... unfortunately (I don't agree with Gibson said about Jews this time) Gibson does have some good things to say at times.

Obviously there are exceptions, but I would say that for the most part conservatives side with Israel. From talking with people, and from listening to people on this forum as well as other forums, I would say that is usually true. For the most part those who say Israel is mostly to blame for the conflict come from the far left. I'm not sure exactly how you stand on the issue, but I would say that you are probably an exception to this rule.

I'm not sure that it's Mel Gibson's religion that landed him in the news, but the fact that he is a celebrity. In fact, in the original article I didn't notice any reference to Gibson's religion and I didn't even realize he was deeply religious until I read more into it. I wonder what would have happened if someone like paris hilton said anti-semitic remarks after being arrested for drunk-driving? I'm guessing it would have made the news as well (though I don't understand why people care so much what moviestars say & do anyways).

Guest Warwick Green
Ya, it's sad, poor ol' Mel got caught with his tongue out again. He'll be punished alright, won't see many more Mel movies.

And by the way Warwick,Jews did kill Jesus. Unless you don't believe in the Bible... which likely would mean you don't believe in Jesus... which likely would mean that that comment was irrelevant.

They also told me he had been sentenced by a Roman tribunal. Was that a lie too? :)

Today you would say that a few Jews 2000 years ago were associated with Jesus's death. You would avoid the implication that in some way ALL Jews shared the responsibilty as I was taught.

Mel Gibson apoligized a second time "to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words" when he was arrested for investigation of drunken driving.

Could it be Mel Gibson's acting abilities extend out into his private life?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...4_gibson02.html

I started boycotting Mel Gibson's movies when he made Passion of the Christ. I stopped going to his movies when he made Bird on a Wire. <heh>

Still haven't seen Braveheart. And never will now.

And by the way Warwick,Jews did kill Jesus. Unless you don't believe in the Bible...
The last time I checked the Bible it seemed to me that the Jews were simply acting as agents of God when they called for the execution of Jesus. It was God who decided that Jesus must be killed and resurrected - without that event there would be no Christianity. IOW - the Jews did Christians a big favour.

He who is without sin cast the first stone

jbobbin you do not believe, yet here you are accussing a brother, on whose authourity

This is nothing but "gossip"

peace

Please don't quote scripture to me. I saw him on the record saying what he said against gays.

I have a gay brother in law and I think his comments were over the line, don't you?

I have not watched a recent Mel Gibson movie since.

And we all know who runs the media.... :unsure:

Say, isn't Woody Allen Jewish...?

Seriously, I'm as sick of this as anyone. The guys an asshole who's clearly echoing the beliefs of his Holocaust denying nutjob father. He deserves censure, but he doesn't deserve the attention.

And while he's apologizing, I'd like him to atone for the following:

The Passion of the Christ

Signs

We Were Soldiers

What Women Want

The Patriot

Lethal Weapon 4

Conspiracy Theory

Ransom

Pocahontas

Braveheart

Maverick

The Man Without a Face

Forever Young

Lethal Weapon 3

Hamlet

Air America

Bird on a Wire

Lethal Weapon 2

Tequila Sunrise

Lethal Weapon

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Yep, he was responsible for his words of racism, under the influence or not. He should be ashamed that he's allowed racism to creep into his mind.

It seems rather ironic, however, that when some in our society use being drunk as an excuse for all types of crimes(from rape to murder) and lifestyles now won't give Mel a second chance for something (the racist remarks) that isn't even a crime.

The Main Stream Media is on him like white on rice, but they gave Woody Allen a much easier time when he left his wife and married his own STEP DAUGHTER!! He's doing fine, and has directed many movies since. The reason the MSM has dropped the hammer on Mel is simple: he's a conservative Cathlolic, therefore it's open season on him. For instance, this story has been repeated for three days and has been in the news longer than the Jewish center that was shot up. As if it's worse.

I predict once the MSM get over themselves and quit asking to each other whether Mel's career is over, he'll be back at it, making movies just like before. And maybe a little wiser.

Your analogy makes no sense, You are comparing coomments manifesting blatant hatred with someone who engaged in questionable sexual relationships with someone who was his step-daughter. There is nothing even remotely similiar. I can only assume you brought it up because you are inferring since Woody Allen is Jewish he has receuved preferential treatment. Your inference is odious. Woody Allen's choice of sexual partner was questionable and he was lambasted in Hollywood and by his peers. So your arguement that he is being attacked because he is a conservative Catholic and its some sort of double standard is absolute b.s.

His being Catholic is not the issue. His being ignorant is. His repeated claims he is not an anti-semite is the issue when he makes comments such as this manifesting what he truly feels. How about you, you think its harmless? Sounds like you are trying to infer its normal for conservative Catholics to think this way.

He who is without sin cast the first stone

jbobbin you do not believe, yet here you are accussing a brother, on whose authourity

This is nothing but "gossip"

peace

Please don't quote scripture to me. I saw him on the record saying what he said against gays.

I have a gay brother in law and I think his comments were over the line, don't you?

I have not watched a recent Mel Gibson movie since.

Only Lucipher, would through stones at Satan.

Mel was repeating what some one else has said, and was taught

hate and lies.people are blaming the wrong one

Where there is know talebearer, contention and strife cease.

sorry for the scipture but you are in the zone

peace

Only Lucipher, would through stones at Satan.

Mel was repeating what some one else has said, and was taught

hate and lies.people are blaming the wrong one

Where there is know talebearer, contention and strife cease.

sorry for the scipture but you are in the zone

Is there a reason that you take the religion of the people that settled in North America?

And if no one takes personal responsibility for what they do and say, no one is really accountable.

They also told me he had been sentenced by a Roman tribunal. Was that a lie too? :)

Today you would say that a few Jews 2000 years ago were associated with Jesus's death. You would avoid the implication that in some way ALL Jews shared the responsibilty as I was taught.

No, if you remember Pilate washed his hands and turned him over to the Jewish priests.

That being said, no I don't blame current Jews for it, that'd be ridiculous. I'm the one that doesn't support land claims because I don't believe ancestory means anything. How could I possibly blame current Jews for Jesus's death. I'm not anti-semetic in anyway.

Mel Gibson apoligized a second time "to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words" when he was arrested for investigation of drunken driving.

Could it be Mel Gibson's acting abilities extend out into his private life?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...4_gibson02.html

I started boycotting Mel Gibson's movies boycotting when he made Passion of the Christ. I stopped going to his movies when he made Bird on a Wire. <heh>

Still haven't seen Braveheart. And never will now.

Man, if you boycott based on every movie star's stupid behaviour, you'll have a mighty short list of movies you allow yourself to watch. BTW, Braveheart was incredible and still is.

Guest Warwick Green

No, if you remember Pilate washed his hands and turned him over to the Jewish priests.

That being said, no I don't blame current Jews for it, that'd be ridiculous. I'm the one that doesn't support land claims because I don't believe ancestory means anything. How could I possibly blame current Jews for Jesus's death. I'm not anti-semetic in anyway.

We are in agreement.

Man, if you boycott based on every movie star's stupid behaviour, you'll have a mighty short list of movies you allow yourself to watch. BTW, Braveheart was incredible and still is.

It wasn't so much a boycott as it has been little desire to see some of his latest movies, especially Passion of the Christ. I had very little interest in seeing it dramatized.

Braveheart might be a great movie but I have often missed Best Picture films because they didn't appeal to me.