Israel targets a UN outpost

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/25/...main/index.html

The details of this situation look bad for Israel. There's no excuse for this.

It proves to me what I've feared: they're bombing indiscriminately within 30-odd km of the border.

This was a precision guided bomb, but so what. Look at how they lob tank shells into Israel day and night. Who wants to tell me they're targetting?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The details of this situation look bad for Israel. There's no excuse for this.

It proves to me what I've feared: they're bombing indiscriminately within 30-odd km of the border.

This was a precision guided bomb, but so what. Look at how they lob tank shells into Israel day and night. Who wants to tell me they're targetting?

Calling the UN terrorist sympathizers "peacekeepers" is a stretch. As this article demonstrates, they're human shields for the terrorists.

For you this is a one sided confrontation, what's the other side doing? Poor Hezbolla terrorists are doing nothing, just sitting there getting bombed on.

This is not a one sided war Gerrypegger.

Hezbollah's Nasrallah promises deeper rocket attacks

Sheik Hassan Nasrallah vowed Wednesday that Hezbollah would begin firing rockets that can strike deeper into Israel, while maintaining his forces would not lose a ground war.

In the last two weeks, Hezbollah rockets have rained down on northern Israel, repeatedly hitting Haifa, Israel's third largest city.

Thus far the replies have been devoid of reason.

Any other Israel apologists want to spew some nonsense about how evil the UN is?

What good have they done? Create a bogus "world opinion" consensus among people from dictatorships given plush positions in NYC?

What good have they done? Create a bogus "world opinion" consensus among people from dictatorships given plush positions in NYC?

You've posted this before. I responded with a discussion, yet here you are again implying that they've done nothing. If the UN needs to be reformed, then let's discuss that.

From the UN site, a list of accomplishments:

UN Accomplishments

Any other Israel apologists want to spew some nonsense about how evil the UN is?

So let's kill them? What the heck is wrong with people these days?

If you don't agree, who cares if they die.

The UN has been highly critical of Hezbollah by the way.

Why is Israel almost the sole focus of the UN? What about Dharfour? Zaire? Congo?

Aren't there some real atrocities to go around?

Why is Israel almost the sole focus of the UN? What about Dharfour? Zaire? Congo?

Aren't there some real atrocities to go around?

Israel = White

Lebanon = Has white people

Darfur and Congo only have black people.

Racism still exists... maybe not on white and black terms though. Maybe rich and poor?

The UN has been highly critical of Hezbollah by the way.

The sheep don't pay attention to that. They expect the UN to be an extension of the Bush administration. Because it's not, it's worthless to them.

Because the UN has been critical of Israel in the past it's anti-Israel.

Sheep logic is not easily understood.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said he was "deeply distressed" by the "apparently deliberate" strike.

Mr Annan and Mme Arbour are pretty quick at the lip when it comes to making accusations against Israel. I would like to see some evidence.

Oh come on. The evidence is in the story. They have been in constant contact with Israel about the UN posts, they were clearly marked and Israel knew exactly where they were. They've been there for years.

It's hardly "quick at the lip" to call it "deliberate". It's the obvious fact of the matter.

Guest Warwick Green
U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said he was "deeply distressed" by the "apparently deliberate" strike.

Mr Annan and Mme Arbour are pretty quick at the lip when it comes to making accusations against Israel. I would like to see some evidence.

Oh come on. The evidence is in the story. They have been in constant contact with Israel about the UN posts, they were clearly marked and Israel knew exactly where they were. They've been there for years.

It's hardly "quick at the lip" to call it "deliberate". It's the obvious fact of the matter.

How is that proof? I agree that Israel knew where the UN post was located but Annan still did not provide any evidence that it was "deliberate".

I agree that Israel knew where the UN post was located but Annan still did not provide any evidence that it was "deliberate".
What would you call it?

An accidental-laser-guided attack?

Yeah exactly. A well known post is hit by precision bomb... the odds of it being accidental are very, very slim.

I wonder what Harper will have to say about the attack. My guess is nothing. Wait a minute...are we sure the UN post was actually hit and a Canadian was actually killed? This could be the left-wing media inventing a story to smear Harper and the pro-Israel crowd.

If you want to whine about the UN start another thread. It's irrelavent to this one. Try to focus your attention on a topic if you're going to participate.

Gerrypegger,

Keep your posts on the board,I don't need you sending me personal ones.

The topic is about a bombing on the UN by Israel.

And you ask "what about the other side" i.e. Hezbollah? Learn to read.

In regards to the "topic", I'm still waiting to read what it's relationship is to "Federal Politics"

Just because a Canadian was killed doesn't make this topic "Federal Politics"

this topic belongs "In the Rest of the World"

Learn to place your topics in the right category.

-CES

It looks like the Chinese are majorly pissed on having their observer killed. Since they are on the Security Council, Israel might have to grovel quite a lot. Remember what happened when NATO hit the Chinese embassy in some other old war years back?

Guest Warwick Green
I agree that Israel knew where the UN post was located but Annan still did not provide any evidence that it was "deliberate".
What would you call it?

An accidental-laser-guided attack?

I would call it a guy making an allegation. That's what it is. We won't know what happened until after hostilities cease and there is an inquiry, as Annan has asked for. And even then I doubt we will ever know the truth.

CNN is this not the same media outlet that had reported there was WMD in Iraq. There is the proof CNN has reported it. It must be true.

The fact that the UN outpost had reported 14 close calls since tues, was not a sign to the UN commander to pull this outpost into safety or atleast move it. Acidents happen in war, all of them tragic your report is nothing more than here say.

Here is another link written by a Canadian Maj on the ground. and he says it ws not intentional. to whom do we believe.

My Webpage

The fact that the UN outpost had reported 14 close calls since tues, was not a sign to the UN commander to pull this outpost into safety or atleast move it. Acidents happen in war, all of them tragic your report is nothing more than here say.

I think the result from this will be a lack of faith in the safety of an international force going to Israel to enforce the peace. I think Harper is correct in saying that Canada will probably not take part. Either Hezbollah will use suicide bombers on that force or Israelis will hit the forces locations trading fire back and forth.

I think Israel will have to occupy Lebanon and make its own arrangements to turn over the land.

Guest Warwick Green
It looks like the Chinese are majorly pissed on having their observer killed. Sicne they are on the Security Council, Israel might have to grovel quite a lot. Remember what happened when NATO hit the Chinese embassy in some other old war years back?

And rightly so.

an Israeli bomb exploded directly on the U.N. post near Khiyam, killing four U.N. observers from Austria, Finland, Canada and China, the U.N. officer said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/26/...vers/index.html

I would expect Finland, Austria and Canada, though, to just accept an Israeli apology and that will be the end of it.