This board has shifted right....

This board has definitely shifted right. I'm actually getting people who AGREE with my posts once in a while. That never happened before the federal election. I think that had something to do with it. Either more conservatives have come out with something to say, or the middle grounded people have leaned over more.

Just look at the posts of recent days:

I Dont Care Where Imigrants Come From * 123» 6

Radical Muslims Are The Problem of our Time

Black Gangs in Canada * 12

Shut the door, no more black immigrants

We need new law to run our jails like this

Finally someone who treats a criminal like a criminal

Nick Berg's Dad on Zarqawi death * 12

Um...what is he thinking?

Do Leftists eventually turn Right? * 1234

Or do Conservatives eventually wake up?

All these threads have a conservative undertone to me.

Anybody else notice the shift??

Also, I'm going for an operation on Wednesday and will be down for a while. I feel this is a good time as it won't spin off into lefthood without me these days. Wish me luck and carry on folks....

Dear crazymf,

Also, I'm going for an operation on Wednesday and will be down for a while. I feel this is a good time as it won't spin off into lefthood without me these days. Wish me luck and carry on folks....
Good luck, hope to see you back soon.

Oddly, this was mine. I didn't know he was a legitimate 'turn the other cheeker' when I posted that, and though I am not a 'conservative', nor 'right wing', I though his actions were a bit odd, so I asked about them.

As to some of the other stuff, some of it is 'flame material', some genuine. I would say that this board has a fairly equal mix of left and right, and that it is a good thing.

May all be well, crazymf.

This was mine and I tried to be neutral.

I don't think this forum is anymore Right than before. I'm tired of the double threads and petty, one line personal insults however.

... Black Gangs in Canada * 12

Shut the door, no more black immigrants...

I didn't read the Gangs thread because the title seems to have racist overtones to me, so I don't think it's something you definitely want associated with the conservative/rightist mindset.

Good luck w your medical issues!

Thanks for the kind words.

However, the titles of the threads although maybe not the contents, imply a conservative type traditionalist attitude of resisting change. To me, that is right sided thinking. Am I wrong? And there seems to be more threads popping up like that. Hell, a few months ago Dubya was getting lambasted daily. It seems since us Canucks are in the shit now in Afghanistan that there seems to be more support for the military and that way of thinking.

All those things make me think that the board is swaying with our government somewhat.

This board has definitely shifted right. I'm actually getting people who AGREE with my posts once in a while. That never happened before the federal election. I think that had something to do with it. Either more conservatives have come out with something to say, or the middle grounded people have leaned over more.

Its because people do not think for themselves. A right government means more maleable minds shift to the right because they absorb government propoganda without thinking; under a liberal government more maleable minds shift to the left because they absorb government propoganda without thinking... People are generally stupid.

Andrew

All these threads have a conservative undertone to me. Anybody else notice the shift??
In the past this board had a number of left wing trolls that were starting a lot of threads (mirror/bigdude/maplesyrup, THELIBERAL, ScottBrison). These trolls have been banned which means we have fewer new threads.

Here is a question for all of you one-handed politicians:

What do you call a person who holds respecting eachother's freedom as a primary virtue? where no other principle can trump mutual respec of freedom?

Is that a characteristic of The Right or The Left? Or both? Or neither?

Or does it take us to a higher plane?

It's been right leaning since I joined.
I agree Newbie, it's right leaning and it takes a thick skin to defend left positions here. Left/progressive/humanitarian is tolerated and social liberal meets with grudging support but I've seen BlackDog have to fend off (admirably too) a DDoS-like attack from posters here.
In the past this board had a number of left wing trolls that were starting a lot of threads (mirror/bigdude/maplesyrup, THELIBERAL, ScottBrison). These trolls have been banned which means we have fewer new threads.
Trolls? A troll, like an arsonist or firebug, incites mayhem and controversy solely for the "fun" of it. MapleSyrup was no troll. IMV, Greg seems to ban Left posters more often. OTOH, we could do with some more, thoughtful Leftish posters here.
What do you call a person who holds respecting eachother's freedom as a primary virtue? where no other principle can trump mutual respec of freedom?
François-Marie Arouet, at a cerebral level anyway. I'm not certain he'd be your guy if cornered in the Bronx.

I think that if there's been a shift to the right, it's the result of some of the prominent lefty-types either leaving or getting banned.

I miss reading The Terrible Sweal's messages. I didn't often agree with him, but he was a bright and articulate contributor to the board.

Maplesyrup/mirror/bigdude/etc was all over the map. Sometimes it seemed like he was making a real effort to see different aspects of an issue, other times he was almost a stereotype of a left-wing knee-jerk. Sometimes, he literally seemed like a mentally ill person in need of medical help, and I don't say that to make fun of him, I say it as somebody who honestly at times worried about the welfare of the person behind the keyboard. Whatever else, though, he did start a lot of discussions, some of them worthwhile.

I don't believe eureka has been here since the election. He claimed that he had plans and strategies that would prevent Stephen Harper from becoming Prime Minister; I can only imagine that he committed ritual suicide when it became apparent that he had failed in that endeavour. Either that, or died of old age. Whichever. Sometimes he had some worthwhile things to add to a conversation, other times he had little to offer except insults... old people often become cranky and impatient. He did have a good sense of humour, and caused me to laugh out loud many times, like when he confessed to causing the Indonesian tsunami using a snorkel and a chisel.

Other "lefties" have come and gone, but those are the three that to me were the most memorable of the departed lefties. Others, like ScottBrison and his ilk, were memorable not for actually contributing anything worthwhile, but for trolling and dragging the board into partisan bickering (which of course a number of past and present right-wing members have done as well.)

I am glad that Black Dog is still here to present opposing viewpoints. I know that it can't be easy on this board sometimes.

-kimmy

CRAZYMF: Good luck and all that. I hope it all comes out well.

Regarding a shift to the right, I'm not sure if this is the case.

As someone who prides himself as being able to see both sides of an argument (most of the time, anyway), I think I sit pretty well in the middle.

On some issues I'm, accused of being Liberal, other times, Conservative. (Lib more often though, I think)

I do NOT make it a habit to echo the posts of others. If someone is making a strong argument with which I agree, and they have already raised a point which has come to my mind, I see no reason to repeat it. That simply clutters up the board.

Since I came here a couple years ago, I've always felt this board has leaned somewhat to the right.

But, as noted above, a few of the most prolific thread starters in the past were a couple of the more strident Liberals.

That also is true today. GerryHatrick, for example, starts a LOT of threads. (This is NOT meant as a slight, GH)

On the other hand MongomeryBurns also starts a lot of threads.

These are simply two examples of people whose viewpoints are polar opposites, and either of them will start a thread at the drop of a hat.

No problem with that. Keeps things lively around here.

• Forum Admin

Whether this board and or its participants lean right of left of the political specturum has always been a reoccuring theme. However, without going through each thread and or having each partipant declare their "partisanship," any speculation about this issue is going to be suggestive at best.

Also, judging the board leanings by my actions (banning of members) is always short-sighted, as I could care less what participants say in these forums. However, I do care about how participants behave in these forums. If you do your research, and track the threads that many of the banned partipants were commenting in before they were banned, you'd see they had no interest in treating other (particularly participants with different opinions) with respect.

It is certainly unfortunate Whenever a long-time participant gets banned from these forums, but it is always a result of their repeated ignorance/dis-respect. Eureka, BHS, MapleSyrup, bigdude, mirror, ScottBrison, The Terrible Sweal, THELIBERAL, AllianceFanatic, etc, all took things too far and ignored the repeated warnings.

I'm always the bad guy when it comes to maintaining order in these forums, but such is life. I always get a kick out of participants who claim I'm a Liberal, Conservative, NDP, Communist, Facist, etc - you name it, I've been called it.

But in the end, the ideological make-up of this forums is entirely out of my control and I imagine it will sway back and forth between the many ideologies that exist in Canada.

Isn't that what makes this forum great? I think so...

• Forum Admin

Sorry,

I don't want to discourge anyone from discussing this topic. I re-read my response, and felt it was abit harsh.

Feel free to discuss the evolution/flow/sway of partisanship in these forums - I just wanted to add my 2 cents ;)

Its because people do not think for themselves. A right government means more maleable minds shift to the right because they absorb government propoganda without thinking; under a liberal government more maleable minds shift to the left because they absorb government propoganda without thinking... People are generally stupid.

Andrew

I'm right and I doubt you're views represent the common Liberal as it more represents the Far Left.. :rolleyes:

My observation was merely that more members of this board seems to be more sympathetic to the conservative way of thinking as opposed to when I first came around here. I thought perhaps it was because of the change in government and a mini groundswell in that direction.

Greg,

It never crossed my mind that it may be the absence of certain members who had been banned. I guess in theory, you could influence the board in that way. I don't see anything to gain from that however, so I'm sure you haven't.

I've been on this board for almost the longest of anyone who still posts, and it drifts rightward and leftward from time to time. That's one of the great things about MapleLeaf.

I have noticed some low-grade threads recently, replete with insults and drive-by posts. Hopefully that will change too.

So you are finally getting circumsized! Good luck on your operation! Just make sure the dude doing the deed isn't a commie.

Seriously although I do not know you I wish you goodd health comrade.

Regards,

Vlad Lenin

Nope, that's been floated down the river long ago.

I am doing an elective procedure that is fairly major, but will hopefully lessen my burden later on our health care system. I have to think how to incite a new thread debate on an issue such as mine, although I don't think there would be any. It's a win win situation, providing I survive tomorrow.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate it. :D