The NHL playoffs

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Dwayne Roloson injured, the Oilers are all but finished now

Balls to that: did you watch the game? Conklin's brain-fart aside, that one could just as easily have gone Edmonton's way. The series still can. If the Oilers can dominate the play the way they did for 90 per cent of Game One and tighten up on D, they need only to get a steady performance from whoever's in net to have a decent shot. Carolina has some big question marks that the Oilers can continue to exploit. This one ain't over.

Balls to that: did you watch the game? Conklin's brain-fart aside, that one could just as easily have gone Edmonton's way. The series still can. If the Oilers can dominate the play the way they did for 90 per cent of Game One and tighten up on D, they need only to get a steady performance from whoever's in net to have a decent shot. Carolina has some big question marks that the Oilers can continue to exploit. This one ain't over.

I appreciate your optimism but its like a baritone getting his nuts kicked in and somebody saying, well he can still sing.....soprano.

Man you could here the dejection in Lowe's voice after the game. Talk about sounding defeated. Everything was even until this development. Sorry I just don't see either Edmo goalie stepping up like Cam Ward has and remember Ward has been hot and cold.

Ty Conklin? Sorry.

Do I think Edmo will try even harder, absolutely. Teams rally without a goalie, but the Canes just have too many snipers who will be like wolves on a sickly colt whoever Edmon plays. Too too bad. It ruins what would otherwise have been a great series.

Stranger things have happened though right?

Rue, Edmonton has Chris Pronger and three forward lines that can run and gun with anything the 'canes throw out there. And the reason Ward had to step up is because the Carolina D is brutal.

Yeah, losing Roloson is a bitch. But it's too damn early and the Oilers played too damn well to call this one just yet. This. Ain't. Over.

Balls to that: did you watch the game? Conklin's brain-fart aside,

You call that a "brain-fart"?

Facing the media today all of the Oilers said they were confident in Conklin except Conklin.

He said .... "I'ts a difficult situation."

Now THAT'S a brain-fart.

You call that a "brain-fart"?

Facing the media today all of the Oilers said they were confident in Conklin except Conklin.

Now THAT'S a brain-fart.

I'm not sure I follow.

In any case, there's now way Conklin should start tonight. Everyone, including Conklin, knows this (which probably means he'll get the nod :o ). I salute Conklin's willingness to face the media and face up to his mistakes, but at this point the question isn't so much if Ty Conklin will play this series as it is if Ty Conklin will play in the NHL again.

Still, this situation, despite all the doomsayers, isn't as hopeless as it could be. If the Oilers lost Pronger (knock wood) then they'd be finished. The loss of Roli just means they need to tighten up and give their goalies a chance to win 4 of 6 (not an impossible feat at all).

I hope you're right. :)

-k

Dear Black Dog,

I'm not sure I follow.
Don't bother to try, you will only encourage the troll.
Still, this situation, despite all the doomsayers, isn't as hopeless as it could be.
Indeed, I agree. The oilers can still win if they even get adequate netminding. Jussi will likely start between the pipes, though they may try Conklin again, whomever they think is mentally up to the challenge. If the rest of the team plays with confidence, they should still hoist the cup.

With Dwayne Roloson injured, the Oilers are all but finished now. :(

-k

So, let me get this straight. A hockey team from Raleigh, North Carolina (North Carolina!) is going to beat Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup?

Oh, this is rich. You guys in Edmonton are nothing but a puppy pile.

With all the doom-and-gloom forcasts here its small wonder to me that Edmonton is the first Canadian team in contention in how many years?

You guys love to give up. On the other hand Edmontonians, like myself, remember time aftrer time coming back from 2 and 3 game losses to win the series.

I'm not sure I follow.

You don't ever see that in sports. Any goalie that starts as the #1 goalie at the start of the season and then loses that ranking because of a slump will, if healthy, be brimming with confidence with the rest of the team, sure that he can redeem himself. Did you ever see any player say "with me on the ice it'll be difficult to win games"?

Beats me why Ty Conklin is so down on himself. Maybe it's because he's been told that he is a troll a few too many times and maybe that's what's getting him down. That's what I figure, anyway.

Anyway, they lost again.

Whyte Ave sure is quiet.. :rolleyes:

You don't ever see that in sports. Any goalie that starts as the #1 goalie at the start of the season and then loses that ranking because of a slump will, if healthy, be brimming with confidence with the rest of the team, sure that he can redeem himself. Did you ever see any player say "with me on the ice it'll be difficult to win games"?

Beats me why Ty Conklin is so down on himself. Maybe it's because he's been told that he is a troll a few too many times and maybe that's what's getting him down. That's what I figure, anyway.

Anyway, they lost again.

"It's a difficult situation" could refer to the fact that cming into replace an inujured numbe rone goalie after sitting on your ass for months is a difficult situation no matter who you are. I don't think Conklin was giving an assessment of his abilities. But, since it's unlikely he'll see anymore ice this year, the point is moot.

**Puppy pile, puppy pile**

WTF?

They did not lose - they got their butts kicked. Not a single goal? You can't blame that on an injured goalie.

No. You can blame that on an uncharacteristic lack of discipline, nerves and a lack of confidence. IOW the Oilers didn't play like the Oilers. Game 3 is the key now.

So, let me get this straight. A hockey team from Raleigh, North Carolina (North Carolina!) is going to beat Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup?

Oh, this is rich. You guys in Edmonton are nothing but a puppy pile.

huh?

Edmonton lost?

**Puppy pile, puppy pile**

I ... don't understand... this "puppy pile" of which you speak... this is a Quebec thing?

-k

So what makes a good hockey team then? Why isn't Ottawa who had a much better season in the finals?

Is it willingness to work HARD? A hot goalie only? A physical team? A good coach?

Jebus the oil might as well put a 3 person couch in the box if they're going to spend that much time there.