The NHL playoffs

Wilber and Slavik44,

I have a question about the Giants. I played summer shinny hockey a couple of years ago with two juniors (I am still playing, but they moved on), Kyle Wanvig and Donald Chykolis(sp?). Anyone know where Donald went? He was with the Regina Pats at the time, and he told us he was going to Vancouver.

Kyle went to Houston, and then to Minn. (He played one more year of summer with us while in Houston), but they were good buddies.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilber and Slavik44,

I have a question about the Giants. I played summer shinny hockey a couple of years ago with two juniors (I am still playing, but they moved on), Kyle Wanvig and Donald Chykolis(sp?). Anyone know where Donald went? He was with the Regina Pats at the time, and he told us he was going to Vancouver.

Kyle went to Houston, and then to Minn. (He played one more year of summer with us while in Houston), but they were good buddies.

Yeah I think I know who you are talking about....I don't remember a whole lot about him, he only really spent one year playing for the Giants, apparently he has played for the University of Calgary these past two years.... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...p3?pid=00031051

I've now adopted New Jersey, all the way to the cup!!! YEEEEHAWW!! Too bad they are down 2 games but I smell comeback.

I would be cheering Edmonton but they've resorted to playing the trap, and I can't support anyone that plays the trap.

So you're supporting New Jersey????

As for the anthem kurfluffle, there's a simple solution: stop playing the anthems before the games. It's a silly excercise in pointless ceremony that should be put to pasture.

Guest Warwick Green
Ottawa Senators in 6 over the Sabres I says.

Now all I can hope for is one Canadian team to reach the finals.. or let alone the Conference Finals..

The Sens couldn't beat Buffalo in Ottawa when the Sabres were playing badly and they sure can't beat them in Buffalo either. Looks like after tonight it's going to be the golf course for Ottawa.

I've now adopted New Jersey, all the way to the cup!!! YEEEEHAWW!! Too bad they are down 2 games but I smell comeback.

I would be cheering Edmonton but they've resorted to playing the trap, and I can't support anyone that plays the trap.

So you're supporting New Jersey????

As for the anthem kurfluffle, there's a simple solution: stop playing the anthems before the games. It's a silly excercise in pointless ceremony that should be put to pasture.

I'll take Jersey over the trap. Though it doesn't look promising for them.

Looks like every single one of my predictions is going to be wrong this time.

Guest Warwick Green

Is this the guy to lead the Leafs to glory?

Toronto set to install Maurice as coach

TIM WHARNSBY AND WILLIAM HOUSTON

Globe and Mail Update

The worst kept secret in the National Hockey League – that Paul Maurice is destined to be the next coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs – will become a reality as early as today, according to sources...

In Maurice, the Leafs would gain a coach who has an NHL career record of 239-258-91...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ory/Sports/home

• 2 weeks later...
The only series left worth watching involves, as usual, the Oilers. There is no issue over anthems because the din is so enormous you cannot hear a word of either one.

Except when 17,000 Edmotonians decide to carry the tune.

I'm no nationalist and not given to emotional displays of patriotism, but damn if that isn't powerful stuff.

I guess I can conclude that Edmonton is still in the playoff series.

And how. First Cup Finals berth since 1990 (as a franchise, the Oilers are 5-1 in Cup Finals apperances). I never thought I'd see the day (and hopefully I'll be able to savour it without geting stabbed or set on fire by Whyte Ave. hooligans).

And how. First Cup Finals berth since 1990 (as a franchise, the Oilers are 5-1 in Cup Finals apperances). I never thought I'd see the day (and hopefully I'll be able to savour it without geting stabbed or set on fire by Whyte Ave. hooligans).

I was in Edmonton Friday and Saturday night for the Blackfoot Ultramarathon (wasn't running it, volunteering). Needless to say, Saturday was a gongshow, I've never seen such hooliganism in my life. I went to the Red Mile a few times, but none of that even came close. Edmonton was just disgusting, bonfires in the streets, people dangling from electricity wires, what the hell. It looked like a war zone, and the cops did nothing.

Dear geoffrey,

what the hell. It looked like a war zone, and the cops did nothing.

I heard an interview with the Edmonton Police about the incident. They said they weren't about to place their officer's safety at risk over a street sign because street signs are replaceable. A bit of a defeatist attitude, I should say. In Calgary, the police said that they were going to crack down on 'the red mile', and began issuing tickets for people even honking their horns. I think that there has to be a happy medium.

Go spOilers.

Dear geoffrey,
what the hell. It looked like a war zone, and the cops did nothing.

I heard an interview with the Edmonton Police about the incident. They said they weren't about to place their officer's safety at risk over a street sign because street signs are replaceable. A bit of a defeatist attitude, I should say. In Calgary, the police said that they were going to crack down on 'the red mile', and began issuing tickets for people even honking their horns. I think that there has to be a happy medium.

Go spOilers.

It wasn't a street sign being replaced, it was stores being vandalised, fires being set in the streets, the list goes on. If you were actually at the scene, you would have been so shocked at the situation. It was like nothing I had ever seen before, complete chaos and pandamonium.

The police need to crack down, bring in the riot troops and clean up that mess. People were in danger, the situation could have easily boiled over and Edmonton could be burning right now. The police had no control over the situation. The fire department couldn't even hose down the crowd to calm them, it only made them more aggressive.

Scary stuff.

I was in Edmonton Friday and Saturday night for the Blackfoot Ultramarathon (wasn't running it, volunteering). Needless to say, Saturday was a gongshow, I've never seen such hooliganism in my life. I went to the Red Mile a few times, but none of that even came close. Edmonton was just disgusting, bonfires in the streets, people dangling from electricity wires, what the hell. It looked like a war zone, and the cops did nothing.

Of course the cops did nothing. They didn't want the situation to escalate (which would definitely have happened if they had started cracking skulls). In that kind of situation a heavy hand by the cops would do a lot more harm than good.

It wasn't a street sign being replaced, it was stores being vandalised, fires being set in the streets, the list goes on. If you were actually at the scene, you would have been so shocked at the situation. It was like nothing I had ever seen before, complete chaos and pandamonium.

I know you're from Calgary where fun is agaisnt the law, but "complete chaos" is an overstatement. Yeah there were a lot of dickwads out but the vast majority of the 20-30,000 strong crowd was very well behaved.

The police need to crack down, bring in the riot troops and clean up that mess. People were in danger, the situation could have easily boiled over and Edmonton could be burning right now. The police had no control over the situation. The fire department couldn't even hose down the crowd to calm them, it only made them more aggressive.

What they need to do is take some measures to keep people out before the situation on the streets gets out of hand. Stop bar sales at the the third period and shutting down the liquour stores to manage the booze supply. Close off the main access points and post cops on the side streets to stop the incursions by the suburban warriors who are the main trouble makers. Set up alternate events so that people have option other than going to Whyte. Put plainclothes cops in the crowd to snatch any idiots quickly before their actions have a chance to influence the mob. There's a lot of proactive solutions that don't involve turning loose the riot cops (which, as I said, would only make matters worse by turning an ugly mob scene into a full on battle.)

Yes!

Just to keep you up to date, game seven between the other semi-finalists, Buffalo and Carolina, will be decided tomorow in Raleigh, NC.

Back in the 60s I got to know quite a few people from Mount Airy, North Carolina .... so I'll be watching the game & cheering for the Carolina Hurricanes, hoping to see some of my old acquaintances (like Floyd, Goober, Gomer, Andy, Barney, Juanita, Helen, Thelma Lou, Howard, Otis, Opie et al) in the stands.

GO HURRICANES GO!

Dear Black Dog,

Stop bar sales at the the third period and shutting down the liquour stores to manage the booze supply.
That is crazy talk. When people are already 'half in the bag', they are freer with their money...sales are huge. Besides, no one knows exactly when the third period would come (perhaps a brawl, or technical malfunction, power goes out for a bit, etc). It would be impossible to cut off booze sales at an arbitrary (or variable) time. What they need is to announce that they will severely prosecute crime (a media blitz helps) and perhaps install some cameras, as well as plainclothes cops, as you say.

That is crazy talk. When people are already 'half in the bag', they are freer with their money...sales are huge. Besides, no one knows exactly when the third period would come (perhaps a brawl, or technical malfunction, power goes out for a bit, etc). It would be impossible to cut off booze sales at an arbitrary (or variable) time. What they need is to announce that they will severely prosecute crime (a media blitz helps) and perhaps install some cameras, as well as plainclothes cops, as you say.

I know they'd never cap or suspend booze sales. But it would help address some of the issues. w, they aready have video and teh medi ablitz is under way, but I'm not sure if it will make a difference. Who cares about media blitzes when you're, well, blitzed?

Who cares about media blitzes when you're, well, blitzed?

:lol:

The Eskimo's should blitz the Hurricane's with songs like ....

http://www.smickandsmodoo.com/lyrics/carolina.htm

and slogans like ...

Nothing could be finer than beating up on Carolina in Edmonton.

The only problem is that they must win one away from home ... and THAT'S the reason I'll place my bet on Carolina, in the morning.