God bless our monarch - Queen Elizabeth

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

It shouldn't be a priority.  Objectively speaking, it'd be hard to think of something that's less important. 

I'll grant that 'priority' is the wrong term to use. But come on. There are tens of thousands of people working at the BoC. Among them is the group that attends to things like currency changes. It should be something done in a timely fashion. But to think that has any real importance you would have to put a degree of importance on the preservation of our cultural links with our past and the whole royal panoply and pageantry that used to be part of what united us. A country that doesn't know or care about its past won't have a future.

11 minutes ago, herbie said:

REPEAT: put a Canadian or a Canadian symbol on the $20 and the Maple Leaf on all the coins and this wouldn't even be an issue.

Canada has no symbols which are not British in origin

the Maple Leaf is the symbol of the Canadian Corps of the British Imperial Army in the Great War

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

a wannabe fool.

but I only ever wanted to be a 48th Highlander of Canada

The 48th Highlanders of Canada is a family

whereas the Regular Force eats its own, throwing troops under the bus left & right

not even just the Junior Ranks, the Regular Force throws Generals under the bus

never serve the corrupt & incompetent Government of Canada

only serve Regiment, Colours & Commander-in-Chief

On 5/22/2024 at 5:44 PM, Dougie93 said:

you are the one whom invoked the Vimy Myth to me, and rightfully so

hold to your oath, you said

as I say, I am a dual citizen, fiercely loyal to the American religion

none the less, I undertook that solemn oath in the face of God Himself

hand on the King James Bible, beneath the laid up Colours, by the Book of the Dead

at St. Andrew's  Church on King Street West

"I ......... (full name), do swear  that I will well and truly serve Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her heirs and successors according to law, in the Canadian Forces until lawfully released, that I will resist Her Majesty's enemies and cause Her Majesty's peace to be kept and maintained and that I will, in all matters pertaining to my service, faithfully discharge my duty. So help me God."

So you're a republican and a monarchist? 😂

You have no loyalty to the monarch of Canada if you seek to break up their country.

A Canadian by convenience it sounds like.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

So you're a republican and a monarchist? 😂

You have no loyalty to the monarch of Canada if you seek to break up their country.

A Canadian by convenience it sounds like.

on the contrary

I love American freedom

I would prefer American freedom

yet I am bound by my solemn oath taken to defend & uphold the British Crown in North America

thus I made my bed, and so I will lie in it

I am strapped to the mast of Canadian Confederation therein, for better or worse, unto death as necessary

I will go down with the ship, for Elizabeth Windsor, my Colonel-in-Chief

Dileas

5 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

on the contrary

I love American freedom

I would prefer American freedom

yet I am bound by my solemn oath taken to defend & uphold the British Crown in North America

There is no "British Crown" in North American.  It died in America in 1776, and Canada in 1953. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/crown-canada/monarch.html

You don't even seem to know what the commonwealth is.  I can assure you it's not called "The British Commonwealth", as no such entity exists.

I laugh at all the Brits I talk to who think we're still a British colony.  The Brit imperialists are so smug and class-based, "Canadians" being of a lower class to them of course.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You don't even seem to know what the commonwealth is. 

the Commonwealth is nothing

it is not a political union, merely a cultural club

the Commonwealth is 52 countries, 2.5 billion people

the only qualification is that you were once a realm of the British Empire

the two largest members of the Commonwealth are the republics of India & Pakistan

Pakistan which supported the Taliban while they were killing Canadian soldiers in the field

India which has conducted targeted assassination of Canadian citizens on Canadian soil

the Commonwealth is clearly not what you believe it to be

18 hours ago, herbie said:

and why do you think that was? Because the Maple leaf symbolized Canada.

the Maple Leaf symbol dates back to St Jean Baptiste Day 1834, when Canada was Britain

56 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the Commonwealth is clearly not what you believe it to be

The only thing I said it was is that it's not called "the British Commonwealth".  They share or shared the same monarch, that is all.

There is no British monarch in Canada. British citizenship has no title here.  They can't vote in federal elections here.   Only Canadians.

If you don't want to be a Canadian anymore then do the honorable thing and give up your citizenship and leave, instead of trying to break up the country on behalf of a foreign nation.  You're a fifth column.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

The only thing I said it was is that it's not called "the British Commonwealth".  They share or shared the same monarch, that is all.

There is no British monarch in Canada. British citizenship has no title here.  They can't vote in federal elections here.   Only Canadians.

If you don't want to be a Canadian anymore then do the honorable thing and give up your citizenship and leave, instead of trying to break up the country on behalf of a foreign nation.  You're a fifth column.

you are the fifth column, inveighing against the Canadian oath of allegiance to the British Crown ; is sedition

Edited by Dougie93
  • Downvote 1

Oh Jeez can I be in the Fifth Column too?

17 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I laugh at all the Brits I talk to who think we're still a British colony.  The Brit imperialists are so smug and class-based, "Canadians" being of a lower class to them of course.

I married a Scot, her family came to Canada when she was 12. Her parents told her they chose Canada because Australia was so hot her dolls would melt.
Nothing in Canada was any good, they crossed the border every weekend because the golfing was better, the gas cheaper, clothes were better quality, cafes were cheaper with bigger portions, etc. etc. etc. Yanks had a Trident base in their home town and Canada didn't even have atomic submarines...
I was only 'half white' cuz one Grampa came from Italy 65 years before they came to Canada. I used to tease the wife that they were the real boat people. Plates with the Queen and Prince Phillip in the display case, insisting on Scot dancers perform at our wedding, a Diana haircut for the wife.
Why some of their good friends were woggies....

I did like them, eccentric as hell but they acted like natural born Canucks were the oddities.

I swore oaths to the Queen in Scouts and Cadets. She's dead. It's all over now, the Royal family are just historical quirks, leftovers from an era long gone. We can swear oaths to the Canadian Constitution from now on.
The Comonwealth is just a club, an historical association we can share sports contests with. Maybe turn into a Trade treaty and give some meaning to.

Edited by herbie
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 4:47 PM, herbie said:

REPEAT: put a Canadian or a Canadian symbol on the $20 and the Maple Leaf on all the coins and this wouldn't even be an issue.

How about Sir John A MacDonald, the man who put this country together?

• Like 1

How about NO, he's worn out his welcome on bills since 1937.

Rather see Guy LaFleur than another bloody PM.

How about Pierre Elliot Trudeau on the $20. So lots of people will boost the economy by trying to get rid of twenties as fast as they can?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

you are the fifth column, inveighing against the Canadian oath of allegiance to the British Crown ; is sedition

There's no "Canadian oath of allegiance to the British Crown".  It literally doesn't exist except in your imagination.  The Canadian Crown reigns in our constitution.  Long live the King!  But start a new religion and believe whatever fables you wish you convince yourself of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, herbie said:

Oh Jeez can I be in the Fifth Column too?

I swore oaths to the Queen in Scouts and Cadets. She's dead. It's all over now, the Royal family are just historical quirks, leftovers from an era long gone. We can swear oaths to the Canadian Constitution from now on.
The Comonwealth is just a club, an historical association we can share sports contests with. Maybe turn into a Trade treaty and give some meaning to.

A fifth column can only act on behalf of a foreign country.  Republicans wouldn't qualify.

You swore an oath to the Queen and her heirs and successors.  You didn't swear an oath to a person per say, you're swearing an oath to a title, the monarch, the bearer of the Crown.  The person, Charles or Elizabeth, have no lawmaking power, and they're supposed to remain apolitical.  They're the head of state, it is for ceremony and tradition now.  The Brits took the rest of the power away from the monarch centuries ago before Canada was even a country.  But all power of the state vests in the Crown, for tradition and symbolism's sake.  All laws are the King's laws, but none of them are decided by them.  The monarch is the personification of the state itself, as a symbol.  King Charles represents Canada in flesh and blood.

2.jpg

On 5/21/2024 at 7:18 PM, I am Groot said:

Just who do you think we could put in a president's role that could be seen as unbiased and above the fray? You want to look at most of our last batch of governors-general and what a disastrous group most of them were? 

As a matter of fact, I think they'd remain scrupulously neutral.

There are many portraits available - Samuel de Champlain, for example. Or, Terry Fox.

More fundamentally, we Canadians must assume our problems; we must understand what we are.

We must become a federal republic.

15 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

he's already on the $10 bank note

10_front.jpg

They decided it was better to honor a black hairdresser who once sat down in the wrong section of a theater in Nova Scotia and got fined a dollar or something for sitting in the 'white' section. There are no memorable quotes from her and she didn't really do anything of note. People wanted her to appeal to the Supreme Court but she said 'nah' and went home and then a couple of years later packed up and moved to New York to set up a beauty parlor there.

Did I mention she was black? Did I mention the pronoun was 'she'? 

Not that I'm suggesting this was tokenism or paternalism, or a pat on the head to the black community and the rabid, frothing-at-the-mouth partisans of the Left. Even though it is, of course.

6 hours ago, August1991 said:

There are many portraits available - Samuel de Champlain, for example. Or, Terry Fox.

More fundamentally, we Canadians must assume our problems; we must understand what we are.

We must become a federal republic.

Oh, go back to France. 

If you like the monarch and the queen or king, move back to the UK. This is Canada.

What a waste of money. They should all get a real job and stop leaching off the people.

You might want to read War of the Windsors. Talk about a totally dysfunctional family. Inbreds!

7 hours ago, I am Groot said:

They decided it was better to honor a black hairdresser who once sat down in the wrong section of a theater in Nova Scotia and got fined a dollar or something for sitting in the 'white' section. There are no memorable quotes from her and she didn't really do anything of note. People wanted her to appeal to the Supreme Court but she said 'nah' and went home and then a couple of years later packed up and moved to New York to set up a beauty parlor there.

Did I mention she was black? Did I mention the pronoun was 'she'? 

Not that I'm suggesting this was tokenism or paternalism, or a pat on the head to the black community and the rabid, frothing-at-the-mouth partisans of the Left. Even though it is, of course.

so Canada cancels the First Father of Confederation

and replaces him with an American of little note

U-S-A ! U-S-A ! U-S-A !

Edited by Dougie93