Emmerson just crossed the floor!

betsy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First point, We will have to hear about this floor crossing from the man who did it-David Emerson.

I'm sure he will give his reasons and explain how he plans to work for his constituents who wanted a Liberal in the house.

He's the one who did it the crossing,he's the one who must explain.

Second point,I truly believe Emerson is only the first of a number of Liberals that will cross the floor in the coming months.

Somehow, I believe the in-fighting in the Liberal party will still go on in opposition, and some of these MP's will have had enough to drive them to cross the floor, or to sit as independants.

First point, We will have to hear about this floor crossing from the man who did it-David Emerson.

I'm sure he will give his reasons and explain how he plans to work for his constituents who wanted a Liberal in the house.

Second point,I truly believe Emerson is only the first of a number of Liberals that will cross the floor in the coming months.

Somehow, I believe the in-fighting in the Liberal party will still go on in opposition, and some of these MP's will have had enough to drive them to cross the floor, or to sit as independants.

Depends whether a centrist Martinite or a leftie Chretenite (not tied to corruption, of course!!!) takes over the party.

Maybe Stronach & Brison will cross the floor again and get plumb positions. :D Nawh, they are going to run for the Liberal leadership - now that is peachy. :)

Emerson got Minister of International Trade.

I'm extremely disappointed in Harper right now.

Me too, very disappointed, in this instance we are no better than the liberals. There should be a by-election immediately or he should sit as an independant.

Me too, very disappointed, in this instance we are no better than the liberals. There should be a by-election immediately or he should sit as an independant.

He should put an Alberta MP in there for awhile and then put Emerson there.

Emerson should sit as an Independent for a month or so.

I really don't have a problem with defection and in Canada's political landscape we may need to start getting used to defectors, wether it be Brison, Stronach, Emerson or who ever. Undoubtedly some will defect with selfish intentions and others for good reasons and only time will tell which was the case for Emerson. I can't see him defecting for the money or power he already has plenty of both, but as someone from British Columbia I am happy with the fact that he got the position of International trade an important role that has big ties to the province of B.C, and if all else fails next election Emerson could move to abbotsford for his coronation.

This is just more evidence that the 124 elected conservatives don't have enough depth to field a cabinet. They needed outside help.

Non-sense. It just makes sense to have a Vancouver minister. In skill, there are alot of people that could fit in just fine.

We also have the Tory back room boy who is now Public Works Minister, yet was not elected (or even ran) as a MP. To be appointed to the Senate. Apparently he is the representive of Montreal - I am sure the city is very proud.

If getting people from all parts of Canada was so important to him, why is there no one from PEI (traditionally there is always one) or from Toronto, or from the north.

That means Harper decided that he needed two people outside of his own caucus to serve in his cabinet, and apparently people like Ablonczy aren't competent enough. I saw her on CBC being interviewed - she looked so disappointed.

This was a terrible mistake by Harper - almost insane - that very few people are defending.

I agree. This completely stinks. No matter how they spin it, it is hypocrisy plain and simple. I am not happy.

Just a friendly reminder that Emerson broke from the Liberal Party line at least twice during the election. The Chinese Head tax issues was pushed when Emerson went against party policy.

The second issue was when fellow Minister Jean Lapierre did not back Emersons assertion that they needed to look into the sale of Ridley Coal Terminal in Prince Rupert. The Feds were selling it for a song. This lack of party support on key issues for BC made Emerson look like he had no influence.

I am sure his talents will be well used in the Gateway project. For those from outside BC this is the major expansion of our pacific ports.

He is also well positioned to be a figure head running up to the Olympics.

And best of all he can handle the Softwood lumber file. The current members of the caucus would not have been a good fit for this one.

I think we will be better served by this.

Rather amusing to find this tidbit from the CPC site on Emerson. An early recruiting guise I would suggest:

David Emerson – Emerson suggested that immigrants needed better language training so they could shed their accents (CP Wire, June 10, 2004). He had previously suggested a link between ethnic communities and the illegal drug trade (CPAC, June 3, 2004). Emerson has contradicted the government on issues such as the Chinese head tax and the sale of Ridley.

http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2459/39189

Rather amusing to find this tidbit from the CPC site on Emerson. An early recruiting guise I would suggest:

David Emerson – Emerson suggested that immigrants needed better language training so they could shed their accents (CP Wire, June 10, 2004). He had previously suggested a link between ethnic communities and the illegal drug trade (CPAC, June 3, 2004). Emerson has contradicted the government on issues such as the Chinese head tax and the sale of Ridley.

http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2459/39189

There is nothing wrong about a better language training to shed accents. As long as it is not mandatory!

That is a practical suggestion. I suffer from a strong accent. Sometimes people just pretend to understand me....for they are too polite or afraid to offend me. But the fact remains that they did not understand what I was saying...thus it was like talking to the wall for me. I feel self-conscious of my accent at times. It knocks down confidence.

If one needs to do more than just work as a dishwasher...then one ought to try various means to tackle one's weaknesses and "flaws". What Emmerson had just suggested above was to make it easy for immigrants to get some assistance in improving their language skills. So they can really compete out there...for better jobs and high-level positions! I don't see anything wrong in that.

Illegal drug trade being linked to ethnic communities is a reality he only verbalized. We all know there is this problem so why can't one say it outright? How can we deal with this problem if we just skirt around the issue and beat around the bush? This problem is hurting the ethnic communities too.

I am a staunch Conservative supporter, elated that we now form the government, albeit a minority.

Having Emmerson in Cabinet tasked with the job of overseeing the Gateway Project, the 2010 Olympics and working to settle the Softwood lumber dispute is a shrewd political move. Instead of being shut-out by sitting in the Opposition benches Emmerson can now work for the people of our province in a constructive manner. He has a reputation of taking on big projects and seeing them through to completion. The Vancouver airport expansion project was one of his biggest coups and thanks to him we now have a world class facility. Having been chief CEO of Canfor, BC's largest forestry company he has intimate knowledge that will enable him to deal effectively with the US. The 2010 Olympics are important not only to BC but all of Canada with Emmerson at the Federal level, able to assist the Provincial government when and if they need advice or help the chances of hosting a world class event have vastly improved.

Does the defection sit well with me? No, it doesn't. Do I wish that our representative from Vancouver had been elected by his constituents to the House, yes I do. Were I one of those who voted him in as a Liberal I too would be extremely upset. Though I understand the political expediency behind this move and as stated do realize the benefit to my province, I am not at all happy with the manner in which it was handled.

I am much more comfortable with the Fortier appointment to the Senate as once the government is able to bring forward legislation which enables the election of members to the Senate, he will have to step down and run for office.

Though we now have both Vancouver and Montreal with representation in Ottawa I do wish the entire matter had been above board and more in line with the ethical standards of the party.

"Though we now have both Vancouver and Montreal with representation in Ottawa I do wish the entire matter had been above board and more in line with the ethical standards of the party."

I agree. Maybe it could have been handled differently but at least PM Harper has representation in government from Vancouver, Montreal, and the GTA.

I am sure his talents will be well used in the Gateway project. For those from outside BC this is the major expansion of our pacific ports.

He is also well positioned to be a figure head running up to the Olympics.

And best of all he can handle the Softwood lumber file. The current members of the caucus would not have been a good fit for this one.

Just to zero in on that point for a second: does anyone think its coincidence that Emerson crossed the floor and took on that portfolio just days after the Vancouver Olympic committee made it known that thhey need a pile of cash from the governmenty. So now, Harper is well placed to swoop in to bail out the VOC (Conservatives, after all, having no problem with some forms of welfare), with Emerson as point man.

This all reeks of the slimy backroom dalings the Liberals were known for. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

I will not say you are wrong Black Dog. But I will wait until the next election before I start embracing Liberals again and I suggest you do the same.

I will not say you are wrong Black Dog. But I will wait until the next election before I start embracing Liberals again and I suggest you do the same.

Hey, I've never, "embraced" the Liberals, and I'm not about to start with them or their dopplegangers in the CPC (at least I hope that's what the CPC turns out to be: the alternative-that they actually live up to their convictions- is much worse in my books.)

Hey, I've never, "embraced" the Liberals, and I'm not about to start with them or their dopplegangers in the CPC (at least I hope that's what the CPC turns out to be: the alternative-that they actually live up to their convictions- is much worse in my books.)

To be fair you are right you never embraced the Liberals.

But why not hope the CPC is less corrupt?

The optics of the Emerson crossing are bad. However, Harper made a conscious choice that having a representative for Vancouver at the cabinet table would outweigh the negative optics in the medium to long-term.

He just might be correct.

Call Harper's actions what you will. But if you want to be fair, they weren't corrupt.

To be fair you are right you never embraced the Liberals.

But why not hope the CPC is less corrupt?