US federal government borrows and gives to Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan

1. At present, the US federal government is selling bonds (treasuries) in auctions at about $3 trillion per year.

That's around 10% of US nominal GDP.

The US nominal GDP is growing at about 7% per year. To me, that's a Ponzi scheme.

2. Russia? Why would anyone in China buy a US government bond?

5 hours ago, Nationalist said:

The Democrats think they can buy this election. They think they can abuse the law to win the election. Neither are true.

The Republicans ALWAYS rack up bigger deficits than Democrats. ALWAYS. 

Biden’s spending on Taiwan and Ukraine is a pee in the toilet compared to the trillions Bush burned invading Iraq. And we don’t give these countries money. We give them military aid. It’s basically a credit card that lets them purchase American military products. So Raytheon gets the money, not these countries. And,like it or not, it gets those weapons tested. 

Edited by Rebound
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Biden’s spending on Taiwan and Ukraine is a pee in the toilet compared to the trillions Bush burned invading Iraq. And we don’t give these countries money. We give them military aid. It’s basically a credit card that lets them purchase American military products. So Raytheon gets the money, not these countries. And,like it or not, it gets those weapons tested. 

We're not talking about Bush. But nice try...

7 hours ago, Nationalist said:

The Democrats think they can buy this election. They think they can abuse the law to win the election. Neither are true.

No REASON to believe ^this OPINION. It takes a special kind of arrogance and cowardice to post OPINIONS without so much as a single REASON to believe them.

1. military aid is NOT campaign related. It is the consequence of a brutal INVASION. Wake up.

2. you don't even know which law has supposedly been abused. 

Of course with your cult leader Trump, those laws are specified in the INDICTMENTS. But you've got BUPKIS.

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

I was just curious if you paid any attention to the debt and deficit spending while Obama was President? It does not appear you have at all. 

Since GW Bush, both parties have continued to spend more recklessly. Obama took what Bush started to new levels, and Trump kept at that pace, with Biden and the Pandemic spending accelerating it even more.  

2 minutes ago, User said:

I was just curious if you paid any attention to the debt and deficit spending while Obama was President? It does not appear you have at all. 

Since GW Bush, both parties have continued to spend more recklessly. Obama took what Bush started to new levels, and Trump kept at that pace, with Biden and the Pandemic spending accelerating it even more.  

Yes I have.  But your facts are false. 
Each year, the amount of debt interest that must be paid increases substantially. So with no changes at all, annual deficit spending increases. 
Biden’s deficits are substantially lower than Trump’s were. And you’ll recall that during Obama’s Presidency, the Congress shut down the government in order to keep Bush’s irresponsible tax cuts in place. And Trump cut taxes even more, particularly for the wealthiest. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Yes I have.  But your facts are false. 
Each year, the amount of debt interest that must be paid increases substantially. So with no changes at all, annual deficit spending increases. 
Biden’s deficits are substantially lower than Trump’s were. And you’ll recall that during Obama’s Presidency, the Congress shut down the government in order to keep Bush’s irresponsible tax cuts in place. And Trump cut taxes even more, particularly for the wealthiest. 

No, the facts are accurate. The National Debt trend increased substantially under Obama. Your argument is false because if it were merely the Bush tax cuts causing it, the pace would have remained the same, not increased as dramatically as it did.

No, Bidens deficits are not substantially lower at all:

2017: 700 Billion - TRUMP

2018: 800 Billion - TRUMP

2019: 1 Trillion - TRUMP

2020: 3.1 Trillion - TRUMP (Also Pandemic $$$)

2021: 2.8 Trillion - BIDEN (Also Pandemic $$$)
2022: 1.4 Trillion - BIDEN
2023: 1.7 Trillion - BIDEN

2024: 1.6 Trillion - BIDEN - Estimated

2 hours ago, robosmith said:

No REASON to believe ^this OPINION. It takes a special kind of arrogance and cowardice to post OPINIONS without so much as a single REASON to believe them.

1. military aid is NOT campaign related. It is the consequence of a brutal INVASION. Wake up.

2. you don't even know which law has supposedly been abused. 

Of course with your cult leader Trump, those laws are specified in the INDICTMENTS. But you've got BUPKIS.

Seen the polls?

1 minute ago, robosmith said:

Last poll I saw yesterday has RFK Jr taking more votes from Trump than Biden.

Head 2 head tied. With RFK Jr, Biden by 2 pts.

Have YOU seen the polls? LMAO

RFK Jr. candidacy hurts Trump more than Biden, NBC News poll finds

image.thumb.png.74a80419ec01c5ef41cf0c1db8337db6.png

Lol...ya...you go with that pee-wee.

18 minutes ago, robosmith said:

No, I'll go with the one in November cause Joe is getting stronger every week, gnat boy.

And Trump will probably have a heart attack before then.

Maybe they'll both die before the election? I only care that the stupidity of you Libbies is out of power. Nobody but the dullest or the bought...could do what Brandon has done. And we have worse up here in Canuckland. It is clear we're wise enough to know when to change direction. 

Have an apple...

6 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Maybe they'll both die before the election? I only care that the stupidity of you Libbies is out of power. Nobody but the dullest or the bought...could do what Brandon has done. And we have worse up here in Canuckland. It is clear we're wise enough to know when to change direction. 

Have an apple...

If you're lucky Trudeau will try and succeed with an insurrection like the one Trump FAILED.

Then I expect your head will explode. LMAO

2 hours ago, robosmith said:

If you're lucky Trudeau will try and succeed with an insurrection like the one Trump FAILED.

Then I expect your head will explode. LMAO

If I'm lucky...Hell if the whole world is lucky...Brandon won't cause a nuclear holocaust before he's done.

On 4/22/2024 at 2:50 PM, Rebound said:

Nixon, Reagan and Trump also racked up massive deficits.  

They did not sell bonds (treasuries) at the rate of the recent governments.

So far, the demand in auctions of these bonds sort of work - depends on terms.

Of course, the Fed could simply buy the bonds - but Powell doesn't want to print money.

====

I reckon that the US federal government must impose a federal VAT. (America is the only developed country without one.)

Trump is the kind of guy to do it.

On 4/22/2024 at 3:14 PM, User said:

No, the facts are accurate. The National Debt trend increased substantially under Obama.

IMHO, as long as the "National Debt" (as you describe it) is rising slower than nominal GDP growth - a society is sustainable.

In the past few years, US governments are borrowing at a faster rate than citizens can generate tax revenue. This is not sustainable.

Lenders will notice.

On 4/23/2024 at 2:38 AM, Nationalist said:

If I'm lucky...Hell if the whole world is lucky...Brandon won't cause a nuclear holocaust before he's done.

Since you're NOT paying attention, here's a clue for you: Joe has been often criticized for NOT ACTING FAST ENOUGH to supply arms like ATACMS to Ukraine due to fears of ESCALATION. IOW, he's been too CAUTIOUS.

Now you know. LMAO

23 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Since you're NOT paying attention, here's a clue for you: Joe has been often criticized for NOT ACTING FAST ENOUGH to supply arms like ATACMS to Ukraine due to fears of ESCALATION. IOW, he's been too CAUTIOUS.

Now you know. LMAO

What I know...Pee-Wee...is that this is none of Brandon's business. None of NATO's business. Brandon's stupidity emboldens everyone globally. He's a blithering id1ot.

4 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

What I know...Pee-Wee...is that this is none of Brandon's business. None of NATO's business. Brandon's stupidity emboldens everyone globally. He's a blithering id1ot.

Of course it is our business and even more of NATO's. 

The entire point behind NATO was forming a strategic alliance in opposition to the expansion from the Soviet Union and that threat did not die with its collapse... because here is Russia still expanding. 

There is also some convoluted history to our support of Ukraine when they gained their independence from the Soviet Union. They took a lot of Nuclear weapons with them and voluntarily disarmed in coordination and agreement with Western nations. 

The US has an interest in promoting peace and stability in the world to some extent, including opposing continued Russian aggression. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:51 AM, Rebound said:

Thank you, comrade, but nobody gives a shit. 

What are democrats doing to turn the tide? Increasing taxes sounds sexy, but that just makes you cultists want to pi$$ more money away. 

So what's the solution? 

Edited by Deluge

4 minutes ago, User said:

Of course it is our business and even more of NATO's. 

The entire point behind NATO was forming a strategic alliance in opposition to the expansion from the Soviet Union and that threat did not die with its collapse... because here is Russia still expanding. 

There is also some convoluted history to our support of Ukraine when they gained their independence from the Soviet Union. They took a lot of Nuclear weapons with them and voluntarily disarmed in coordination and agreement with Western nations. 

The US has an interest in promoting peace and stability in the world to some extent, including opposing continued Russian aggression. 

I disagree.

It's not Russia that's been expanding, it's NATO.

Russia has tried a few times not to discuss NATO membership and have been rejected. Ukraine tried that too and was rejected.

NATO is only making a bad situation worse by prolonging this war. At this point, Ukraine cannot "win" because they don't have the arms or the manpower to do so.

8 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I disagree.

It's not Russia that's been expanding, it's NATO.

Russia has tried a few times not to discuss NATO membership and have been rejected. Ukraine tried that too and was rejected.

NATO is only making a bad situation worse by prolonging this war. At this point, Ukraine cannot "win" because they don't have the arms or the manpower to do so.

Talk about being disingenuous with the use of "expand"

Let's be clearer since you are going to play games. By "expand," we are talking about using force or other nefarious means to conquer and control, not that a country voluntarily joins an alliance for the mutual benefit of protection and maintains its independence otherwise.

No, Russia is making this a bad situation... your idea of a solution is to just let them win and the entire point of our aid is to support Ukraine so that Russia doesn't just win. 

• Thanks 2