Jump to content

Trump Backtracks on Abortion Ban


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

America is a country of several hundred million people.

It is a federal republic.

======

In America, each State decides. 

Unless it's in the US constitution, which applies federally.  But the states hold the reserve powers.  Meaning, the 10 amendment says that any power not specifically outlined in the constitution is then the domain of the states.  Because as you say, the US is a federation of states.

The reserve powers in Canada fall to the Crown, so federal Parliament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Rebound said:

What medical procedure is outlawed in some states and not in others?

 

Gender transition surgery based on age.

And actually - pretty much all medical proceedures are banned unless expressly permitted.  Which requires the person to be licensed. You can't just pick up a knife and do heart surgery - that would be illegal.

People keep giving you the answer.  BUt you don't like it so you ignore it. Which makes you a fantastic showcase for the left these days - just don't want to deal with facts or evidence.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Unless it's in the US constitution, which applies federally.  But the states hold the reserve powers.  Meaning, the 10 amendment says that any power not specifically outlined in the constitution is then the domain of the states.  Because as you say, the US is a federation of states.

The reserve powers in Canada fall to the Crown, so federal Parliament.

Well said, and one reason I admire America and its Constitution: State rights

Trudeau Snr tried the same with our Charter - Mulroney with Meech - I paraphrase:

"If the central government cannot specifically restrict an activity then the question is left to local governments. Otherwise, people are free to do as they wish."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2024 at 4:59 PM, Rebound said:

Donald Trump has backtracked on abortion, declaring that decisions must be made by the individual states, and supporting legal abortion in cases or rape and incest.

.....

Returning to the OP, I disagree that Trump has backtracked.

IMHO, Trump is being political (seeking votes) - and respecting the law.

=====

As a foreigner, I have a different question:

You Americans had a big issue with slavery. You fought a civil war on this question. The right of a state to allow slaves

Would you Americans fight a civil war over the right of a state to forbid abortion? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, August1991 said:

Returning to the OP, I disagree that Trump has backtracked.

IMHO, Trump is being political (seeking votes) - and respecting the law.

=====

As a foreigner, I have a different question:

You Americans had a big issue with slavery. You fought a civil war on this question. The right of a state to allow slaves

Would you Americans fight a civil war over the right of a state to forbid abortion? 

 

That is true, but only if you don’t care one way or another about abortion policy. Obviously, tens of millions of voters care about it a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2024 at 4:59 PM, Rebound said:

Donald Trump has backtracked on abortion, declaring that decisions must be made by the individual states, and supporting legal abortion in cases or rape and incest.
 

“President Trump’s retreat on the Right to Life is a slap in the face to the millions of pro-life Americans who voted for him in 2016 and 2020,” Mike Pence wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, adding, “However much our Republican nominee or other candidates seek to marginalize the cause of life, I know pro-life Americans will never relent until we see the sanctity of life restored to the center of American law in every state in this country.”

That is a LIE. LEGALLY ELECTED PRESIDENT TRUMP has ALWAYS favored sending the baby killing decision back to the states.

Roe was BAD LAW. It should have been overturned. It was about as constitutional as Mein Kampf.

And if the goose stepping FEMINAZIS on YOUR side of the aisle want baby killing so bad, they've had PLENTY of DemoNazi Congresses and PLENTY of DemoNazi presidents to write the bill and sign it into law. Why haven't they done that yet? Why haven't BABIES become an endangered species yet, Adolf?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rebound said:

That is true, but only if you don’t care one way or another about abortion policy. Obviously, tens of millions of voters care about it a lot.

I think it's a bit of a null issue. It is important to many but for most of those people their state already allows abortion so they're not directly impacted and it's a minor issue.  Further, they've already got biden in the white house right now and nothing's changing so the motivation to vote for him on this subject is going to be pretty weak.

I'm sure it'll matter to some people somewhere but honestly i don't see it as being a big factor in the election.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I think it's a bit of a null issue. It is important to many but for most of those people their state already allows abortion so they're not directly impacted and it's a minor issue.  Further, they've already got biden in the white house right now and nothing's changing so the motivation to vote for him on this subject is going to be pretty weak.

I'm sure it'll matter to some people somewhere but honestly i don't see it as being a big factor in the election.

Not only that, but @Rebound conveniently ignores the tens of millions who want a total ban on any abortion. Or the hundreds of millions who find a compromise at 16 weeks acceptable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Not only that, but @Rebound conveniently ignores the tens of millions who want a total ban on any abortion. Or the hundreds of millions who find a compromise at 16 weeks acceptable.

Well the majority seem to favour the 'compromise' solution and trump isn't speaking against that so yeah - i just don't see this as  being a big deal. The people that really feel strongly enough about it for it to be a significant factor probably already hate trump and that's already baked into the polling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well the majority seem to favour the 'compromise' solution and trump isn't speaking against that so yeah - i just don't see this as  being a big deal. The people that really feel strongly enough about it for it to be a significant factor probably already hate trump and that's already baked into the polling.

Agreed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2024 at 7:20 AM, Rebound said:

That is true, but only if you don’t care one way or another about abortion policy. Obviously, tens of millions of voters care about it a lot.

The question is whether the legality (issue) of abortions should be decided at the state level, or at the central/federal level.

It is a question of state rights.

====

Lincoln really didn't care about slavery. He wanted to preserve the union. He decided that on the issue of slavery, to preserve the union, abolition must be a central/federal issue and apply to all states.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,741
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    timwilson
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • User earned a badge
      Posting Machine
    • User earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • User went up a rank
      Proficient
    • Videospirit earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Videospirit went up a rank
      Explorer
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...