Biden's SOTU Speech March 2024

So Much for “Sleepy Joe”: On Biden’s Rowdy, Shouty State of the Union

But, with Biden trailing Donald Trump in the polls and facing persistent questions from within the Democratic Party about his ability to win reëlection and serve a second term, the President had no choice but to try something different for the large national TV audience. The result was a most unusual State of the Union—partisan, shouty, and even, at times, a bit rowdy. What a contrast to the usual hoary clichés and bipartisan applause lines. Democrats loved it; Republicans looked on, squirming in their seats as if they’d accidentally been forced to sit through the Democratic National Convention.

Congress, it turns out, is an appealing backdrop for a campaign rally. And there is nothing that this President likes more than to extol the virtues of infrastructure spending and union manufacturing jobs before a cheering crowd in the packed House chamber. With his Presidency on the line, no one was going to accuse this eighty-one-year-old of a geriatric showing when it mattered. 

3.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, August1991 said:

Make no mistake. With drop-off, mail-in ballots, and a dedicated base of young people, the Democrats have discovered Kryptonite.

The US voting system is now like Canada's census.

Yeah cheating and making laws so you can't catch anyone cheating.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, August1991 said:

Make no mistake. With drop-off, mail-in ballots, and a dedicated base of young people, the Democrats have discovered Kryptonite.

The US voting system is now like Canada's census.

Are you admitting that they cheat? Not sure what you're trying to say there...

Also, what you just saw there wasn't a guy with his full faculties talking to the American people, it was a guy reading from a teleprompter. 

I don't think that you can prove that you're capable of leading the free world just by reading from a teleprompter lol. If that was the case, Morgan Freeman would be the president, hands down. 

29 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Are you admitting that they cheat? Not sure what you're trying to say there...

Also, what you just saw there wasn't a guy with his full faculties talking to the American people, it was a guy reading from a teleprompter. 

I don't think that you can prove that you're capable of leading the free world just by reading from a teleprompter lol. If that was the case, Morgan Freeman would be the president, hands down. 

He's admitting he doesn't' know how us elections work or that the covid protocols from the last election won't be present in this one. Politically he's a  complete 1diot who just repeats some talking point he heard somewhere without understanding it. , i've tried to explain how this works to  him before.

At the moment trump is poling higher than biden in a number of very key states, he would definitely win today if the polls are at all accurate.

Biden is attempting to recreate obama's intersectional coalition. He's appealing to muslims in certain states - he's moving further to the left.

But he's forgetting the reason people voted for him - he was the "moderate" choice.  Now he's trying to run on a woke agenda and thats' just not going to work for him, there's not enough woke people and there's too many moderates who are starting to really dislike him.

He's in trouble - and i think we're going to see him lean even harder left talking about racism and other woke issues and ignoring the border and fiscal responsiblity.  And that will kill him. Trump needs to be smart and not interrupt him

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 6:57 PM, CdnFox said:

He's admitting he doesn't' know how us elections work or that the covid protocols from the last election won't be present in this one. Politically he's a  complete 1diot who just repeats some talking point he heard somewhere without understanding it. , i've tried to explain how this works to  him before.

I know how a Canadian census is organised. (Zillions of questions. Kids paid to do good.)

Your US federal elections - depends on the State - are now organised in a similar way.

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

I know how a Canadian census is organised. (Zillions of questions. Kids paid to do good.)

Your US federal elections - depends on the State - are now organised in a similar way.

You don't know how your socks are organized, and are lucky if they match on any given day. 

And BTW,

What's the difference between completing a census form - or voting?

Which has a bigger difference?

If you don't know you probably shouldn't be doing either.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

You don't know how your socks are organized, and are lucky if they match on any given day. 

If you don't know you probably shouldn't be doing either.

In Canada, in federal and provincial elections, our ballots are simple: we vote for a single candidate on a single day - one X. on a ballot. We choose a representative 

In the US, your ballots are complicated votes with many choices. Like our Canadian census forms.

====

Since 2020, the US voting system is like our Canadian census system.

Edited by August1991

43 minutes ago, August1991 said:

In Canada, in federal and provincial elections, our ballots are simple: we vote for a single candidate on a single day - one X. on a ballot. We choose a representative 

In the US, your ballots are complicated votes with many choices. Like our Canadian census forms.

====

Since 2020, the US voting system is like our Canadian census system.

So you think anything at all that has more than one question is like a census.

You're a dolt.  The us ballot is nothing like our census in the slightest. You fill in some answers on a census, where do you write in your answers on a ballot? You don't - you just make choices.

22 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

So you think anything at all that has more than one question is like a census.

You're a dolt.  The us ballot is nothing like our census in the slightest. You fill in some answers on a census, where do you write in your answers on a ballot? You don't - you just make choices.

In Canada, in federal and provincial elections, we select one name as a representative. We generally vote on one day. I show my ID when voting - several scrutineers check my name. Hidden, I put my single X on a paper behind a counter

A Canadian census form? It has zillions of personal questions. The last time (2021), I threw the complex form in the garbage. (Young kids kept knocking on my door asking me questions. I said yes to everything.)

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The us ballot is nothing like our census in the slightest. You fill in some answers on a census, where do you write in your answers on a ballot? You don't - you just make choices.

I strongly disagree.

Historically, the US ballot is very much like our Canadian census form.

Random people complete a form, using random names.

Edited by August1991

In Canada, completing a census form is different from voting.

When we Canadians vote, it is simple. In federal and provincial elections, we choose only one name.

Is your government less representative? Are you holding elections every weekend? What's the deal?

We have many races on the ballot because those are the roles open in the government. 

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

In Canada, completing a census form is different from voting.

When we Canadians vote, it is simple. In federal and provincial elections, we choose only one name.

Voting is different than completing a census form in BOTH countries.  Just as you're an 1diot in both countries.

8 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Is your government less representative? Are you holding elections every weekend? What's the deal?

We have many races on the ballot because those are the roles open in the government. 

It's a different system.  we have more elections, one for municipal and or regional,  one for provincial, one for federal. Not including things like local school boards.  They are all held at different times.

But we don't vote for our prime minister. He's a prime minister not a president.  So - how it works is you pick a local person who's running to represent your 'riding' - an area representing around 115 thousand people or so give or take,

That person will belong to a party (usually) and the party that gets the most ridings is asked to form the gov't with the remainder in opposition.  The party elects a leader - and that leader will be the prime minister if the party should form govi't  We don't get to vote who will be prime minister - we elect a party and the party and it's members decide.

That's a simple version but gives you a good idea how our system works. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

It's a different system.  we have more elections, one for municipal and or regional,  one for provincial, one for federal. Not including things like local school boards.  They are all held at different times.

CdnFox, you are inexact.

In Canada, in our federal elections, we usually go to a place, show ID, have several people (scrutineers) check our name on a previous list - based on tax roles.

We then select one single name on a ballot. Secretly, we put an X, fold the paper and then put the paper in a box.

The process takes about 30 seconds. We choose one person.

=====

By curiousity, I have watched voting procedures in several countries: Russia, Sri Lanka, Bulgaria.

In Canadian municipal elections, like in Russia, candidates can post their photo/biography in voting places.

In Sri Lanka, the ballot had animal symbols since some people were illiterate - people voted by symbol.

Edited by August1991

Posted (edited)

I have never watched an American vote. Maybe someone here can describe the process.

From what I understand, depending on the county/state, it is like completing a StatCan census form.

===

Like Jimmy Carter, I watched Russians, Bulgarians and Sri Lankans vote. In November 2024, as a Canadian, I plan to watch how a person in New Hampshire votes. 

Edited by August1991

CdnFox, you are inexact.

You were just plain wrong.

Sorry kid - you just don't understand this stuff well enough to discuss it.

I have never watched an American vote. Maybe someone here can describe the process.

From what I understand, depending on the county/state, it is like completing a StatCan census form.

===

Like Jimmy Carter, I watched Russians, Bulgarians and Sri Lankans vote. In November 2024, as a Canadian, I plan to watch how a person in New Hampshire votes. 

It is nothing like a stat can form.  At all.  ffs.

3 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Spill.

Describe voting in the US.

It varies from state to state - unlike canada the states set the rules for voting. You can find plenty of  youtube vids if you want to see it in action in various places

But in ALL cases they use a ballot - not a form.