Dental providers aren't smiling about reimbursement under federal plan

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/dental-providers-aren-t-smiling-about-reimbursement-under-federal-plan-1.6761453

OTTAWA -

Some dentists and hygienists fear they won't be fairly paid for services under a new federal dental plan, and they worry it will jeopardize the success of the massive program.

Each provincial and territorial dental association has its own guide to how much dental services cost, based on labour, overhead and material costs in their regions.

The federal reimbursement plan closely resembles what the government pays as part of its benefits scheme for First Nations and Inuit, called the Non-insured Health Benefits program, or NIHB.

That program typically pays out less than is recommended by provincial and territorial guides. The services that are covered also closely mirror the NIHB plan. 

That means dentists may not want to sign up to take part, or patients may have to pay the difference out of pocket, said Nova Scotia Dental Association president Dr. Juli Waterbury.

"This Canadian dental care plan will not succeed if dentists across Canada decide to opt out of this plan," Waterbury said in an interview Thursday. 

So it hasn't even started yet and the libearls have already managed to eff it up.  People probably won't find a dentist that is willing to deliver services below market. If they do it'll be a first year dentist who's trying to build a practice and they won't be able to go to their usual dentist or to one recommended by someone they know.

And probably a big fat wait time.

And for this the ndp sold it's soul and it's duty.  Well - this and  jagger's pension of course.

Dentists don't want anything of the kind.  They want to get paid for the work they do, they aren't interested in the politics or becoming 'discount' tools for politicians  gain.   Just like the rest of us.

But if justin though that he could get away with paying dentists less and that they'd just go for that,  good luck. 

You might get some of the brand new guys going for it for short periods while they build up a practice,  but other than that why would you get paid less for the same work?  Does justin thing they're women or something?  (nyuck nyuck :) )

And it's not like we have a surplus of dentists:

https://www.hilltimes.com/story/2023/08/07/a-dental-care-workforce-shortage-threatens-the-success-of-the-canadian-dental-care-plan/394523/

Dentists have always had a two tiered systems.

If you don't have insurance, they charge $X.00. If you do they charged $XX.00

Oh and, there are lots of dentists, there is a shortage of hygienists and support workers

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Dentists have always had a two tiered systems.

If you don't have insurance, they charge $X.00. If you do they charged $XX.00

Oh and, there are lots of dentists, there is a shortage of hygienists and support workers

The article would disagree with you.  And it's not like you need a big shortage - if there's enough people paying regular rates then why take the cheapies on?

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

The article would disagree with you.  And it's not like you need a big shortage - if there's enough people paying regular rates then why take the cheapies on?

It's funny how ready you are to cite a woke garbage biased newspaper (as you call it) when you figure the article is critical of the Liberals.  🙃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

It's funny how ready you are to cite a woke garbage biased newspaper (as you call it) when you figure the article is critical of the Liberals.  🙃

Oh dear.  Are you STILL butthurt over looking like an 1diot again? Following me aorund trying to salvage some dreg of your shattered ego  :)   Hilarious :)  

Hey - at least my cites prove I"M right - not like yours which prove your opponent is right :)  LOLOLOL

18 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Oh dear.  Are you STILL butthurt over looking like an 1diot again? Following me aorund trying to salvage some dreg of your shattered ego  :)   Hilarious :)  

So you're saying you don't appreciate it when people bring up how often you contradict yourself?  

22 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Hey - at least my cites prove I"M right - not like yours which prove your opponent is right :)  LOLOLOL

Your cite proves that your gauge on whether a source is reliable is based on whether you like what it's saying at the time.  To call a news outlet biased and woke garbage, but then in the same day cite it in your latest spam thread is freaking dumb.  🫠

• Like 1

Just now, Moonbox said:

So you're saying you don't appreciate it when people bring up how often you contradict yourself? 

LOL  - awwww look at you, resorting to lying to try to be relevant again :)  i haven't contradicted myself in the slightest.  Show where i did that.  Can't? poor little guy 😮

Your cite proves that your gauge on whether a source is reliable is based on whether you like what it's saying at the time. 

Not my cite.  I posted a current news article for discussion. That doesn't mean i'm going to agree with everything in the article or that i'm verifying it's all true.

To call a news outlet biased and woke garbage, but then in the same day cite it in your latest spam thread is freaking dumb.  

Ahhhhhhh  -  I see the problem.  You don't understand how news works.

This story specifically was NOT written by CTV.   CTV is reporting the story but it actually comes from the Canadian Press which is a completely different org.  CTV is just posting it on their site and it's on other sites as well. Globe and mail for example has the exact same story, others do as well.  CTV didn't create this content.

LOL - you thought it came from CTV :) LOLOLOL - you've managed to look like an !diot yet again! HAHA HOLY SHIT kid, can't you at least go a week without looking like a complete re-tard?

This always happens - you're in such a desperate rush to try to 'catch' me at something that you put your foot into it the moment you open your mouth :)   Thanks for the laugh loser! :)  

3 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

So the government isn’t spending enough? That sounds rather lefty to me. 

Seems to be the case.  This happens often enough - the gov't doesn't really want to spend all that money so they deliberately 'underfund' elements. There will be fewer people able to take advantage which keeps the costs down an they can still claim a 'universal' dental.