Women and Queerand Minorities ONLY - straight white men need not apply at University of Waterloo.

https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/nserc-crc-tier1

NSERC Tier 1 Canada Research Chairs in Computer Science (2 positions – internal/external)

The David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science in the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo invites applications for two tenured faculty positions.

Exceptional scholars and researchers at the rank of Full Professor or Associate Professor are sought who are eligible to apply for a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair (CRC), established by the Government of Canada to enable Canadian universities to foster research excellence. Priority research areas include:

Position 1, all areas of artificial intelligence. The call is open only to qualified individuals who self-identify as women, transgender, gender-fluid, non-binary, or Two-spirit.

Position 2, all areas of computer science. The call is open only to qualified individuals who self-identify as a member of a racialized minority.

So -  just to be clear, for a 'COMPUTER SCIENCE' position they want only women and queer folk for the first position - second is for minorities.'  So if you're a trans black women you can apply to both. 

If you're a white hetero  male then you can't apply to ether. 

Soooo - how is this not racism and sexism again?  I"m never hiring anyone from the university of waterloo.

• Like 1

"Teacher, the AI is defective on the robot."

OK...

"Nothing works!"

The issue is?

"Nothing works! Do you not have qualified people to do the job?"

I don't worry about competence. Giving equal opportunity to trans people is far more important.

"How?!"

*teacher calls security and revokes the student's credits*

People can't complain a country plunges with regards to competitive edges on others when you forgo merit and push woke agendas in trying to level the playing field.

You only end up diluting the talent pool. Albeit it is more diverse but looks good on the outside. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

"Teacher, the AI is defective on the robot."

OK...

"Nothing works!"

The issue is?

"Nothing works! Do you not have qualified people to do the job?"

I don't worry about competence. Giving equal opportunity to trans people is far more important.

"How?!"

*teacher calls security and revokes the student's credits*

People can't complain a country plunges with regards to competitive edges on others when you forgo merit and push woke agendas in trying to level the playing field.

You only end up diluting the talent pool. Albeit it is more diverse but looks good on the outside. 

And seriously - would you be the guy hiring grads from that place if you wanted the best? You would have to assume their teachers were more focused on politics than processors.

They do this in the name of "levelling the playing field", they say that they are recruiting from "under-represented" communities.  The reality is that, if they consider competence as the sole criterion, then the vast majority of qualified applicants will be white males, because this group of people happens to be the most competent, compared to all the others.  And of course, the Powers that be hates this fact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

They do this in the name of "levelling the playing field", they say that they are recruiting from "under-represented" communities.  The reality is that, if they consider competence as the sole criterion, then the vast majority of qualified applicants will be white males, because this group of people happens to be the most competent, compared to all the others.  And of course, the Powers that be hates this fact.

Funny story - a few years back now australia tried an experiment to get more women into certain jobs where they erased all indication of race or sex from appplications and forced their people to hire based only on qualifications, beleiving that women specifically were being prejudiced against in the hiring process.

They cancelled it a short time later when it skewed hugely towards men. Seems like in reality the bias was for women before - employers were more likely to give women a chance.  Without that bias they had a tough time getting hired.

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/nserc-crc-tier1

NSERC Tier 1 Canada Research Chairs in Computer Science (2 positions – internal/external)

The David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science in the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo invites applications for two tenured faculty positions.

Exceptional scholars and researchers at the rank of Full Professor or Associate Professor are sought who are eligible to apply for a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair (CRC), established by the Government of Canada to enable Canadian universities to foster research excellence. Priority research areas include:

Position 1, all areas of artificial intelligence. The call is open only to qualified individuals who self-identify as women, transgender, gender-fluid, non-binary, or Two-spirit.

Position 2, all areas of computer science. The call is open only to qualified individuals who self-identify as a member of a racialized minority.

So -  just to be clear, for a 'COMPUTER SCIENCE' position they want only women and queer folk for the first position - second is for minorities.'  So if you're a trans black women you can apply to both. 

If you're a white hetero  male then you can't apply to ether. 

Soooo - how is this not racism and sexism again?  I"m never hiring anyone from the university of waterloo.

Canada has become an unfair place to live and work. These policies are discriminatory, but our own courts and politicians routinely ignore the Charter.  The US Supreme Court had to step in to protect citizens from this, but Canada’s institutions and citizens are so used to waiving rights and accepting mistreatment that I literally don’t want to be Canadian or live in Canada anymore.

Basically white male heterosexuals need not apply.  All discriminatory hiring practices must be challenged in the courts, but do Canadians have good reason to believe that the courts can call out discrimination?

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada has become an unfair place to live and work.  These policies are discriminatory, but our own courts and politicians routinely ignore the Charter.  The US Supreme Court had to step in to protect citizens from this, but Canada’s institutions and citizens are so used to waving rights and accepting mistreatment that I literally don’t want to be Canadian or live in Canada anymore.

No, Zeitgeist, don't say that.  Don't lose heart and keep fighting.  We shouldn't let bad people win.

DEI programming and jobs, as well as all unfair hiring practices (including in the name of boosting some identity groups but not others). must be outlawed immediately. It’s unconstitutional and destroys morale and merit.

Edited by Zeitgeist

12 hours ago, CdnFox said:

And seriously - would you be the guy hiring grads from that place if you wanted the best?

Absolutely not. No business owner worth their salt, would.

It reminds me of an interview I gave to a trans male. 

I couldn't care less your sexuality, gender or skin color. Can you do the job, are you emotionally intelligent enough to gel with my team and clientele among others are what I focus on.

They put me on the hot seat from the onset. It felt more like me defending my right to hire, vs checking for their qualifications.

Demanding to know our safety record. I told them. Then they wanted statistics. I asked them to specify, and gladly divulged what they were asking for. 

They then grilled me at the lack of fire extinguishers. I told them we were compliant as they were near all exits. They demanded to know where was the fire extinguisher in the lunch room: "its behind you".

Then on if it had even been routinely checked: "We have it checked annually, as require compliance for our insurance and safety. You can check the tags, but I believe they last checked...."

Then they grilled me on work life balance. I was transparent with them, how long staff had been there, initiatives, incremental vacations, flexibility etc.

Then they grilled me personally. How I would react if someone needed mental health days.

This went on. I bent over backwards for him to accommodate their questions, all the while thinking to myself: "Okay, you're only showing me I can so my job but you have failed so bad right now at convincing me you could do anything other than give me headaches".

Just the entitlement of them asking me at the end: "when am hired..."

Then the black in me came right out, mercifully in my head: "B***h I wouldn't hire you to put in a light bulb!"

Long story short, that would be the student or grad you would have to contend with.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

No, Zeitgeist, don't say that.  Don't lose heart and keep fighting.  We shouldn't let bad people win.

I'm with @Zeitgeist.

I've had it with the "fembots" ruining what should be a major success of a nation. I love Canada but I cannot watch it rot. My taxes are going through the roof, there are fcking migrants camped all over the place, there are tampon machines in the men's washroom and Olivia Chow...a twit who can't even speak either official language and who abused welfare in the past...is the fcking mayor of Toronto.

I have 3 years to retirement. After which, I'm packing up my wife and my golf clubs and leaving. You can send my tax bill to Pixie-Dust.

Edited by Nationalist

25 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

That does sound bad.

How did she manage to get elected though, if she didn't speak English.

She speaks "Chinglish". A bastardized form of English with a heavy Chinese accent.

A communist through and through.

4 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I have 3 years to retirement. After which, I'm packing up my wife and my golf clubs and leaving. You can send my tax bill to Pixie-Dust.

I have bumped into so many while in the Philippines who had packed their bags up and bought land and properties there, sick of where the west was headed.

The Philippines are too poor a country to give a f*** about woke ideology.

Mexico was another popular spot, and Florida as well. 

The Philippines is popular due to everyone speaking English there.

Oh, and beaches like this:

image.thumb.png.c9488496571e1a169a584bc00d4442d4.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

I think there are lot of Chinese students at Waterloo in the science areas. I imagine they’d also be competitive for the staff positions. 

6 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

I have bumped into so many while in the Philippines who had packed their bags up and bought land and properties there, sick of where the west was headed.

But if the good people all leave for other countries, there will be no one left in Canada to fight the evil forces.

I just hired a gentleman that is originally from Honduras. He is here on a student visa and so that is going to be fun to deal with being as this will be his first non-academic job. some will say that we did this because need to diversify. Hmm.. could it possibly be that he has earned a Phd in mathematics along with a BS in Mining engineering and is a published author? Nahh.. lets not bother hiring the rock star candidate that has shown the motivation to do high level quantitative research (which is what we do at the office). Being an American who also did the same thing.. the foreigners are not smarter, simply more motivated. 

Hire the best people for the job without bringing race, gender, orientation, or other factors into the equation that have nothing to do with job skills and knowledge.

It’s hard not to see a creepy social engineering at work. I’ve literally heard heterosexual kids say that they may have to say that they are bisexual when asked by an interview panel or job application about sexual orientation because the job posting explicitly gives preference to non-heterosexual people.  They can’t do anything about being white, which the posting says will reduce their employability, as preference is given to “racialized people”.  You can see, however, that this looks a lot like a push to abandon one’s true identity.  It’s discriminatory and oppressive.  No employer should be allowed to ask such questions or have such hiring criteria.

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Its a possibility. I've been thinking that the USA must soon accept Cuba and open relations and trade with them. It might be a good idea to buy up land there now.

Just a thought.

2 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

But if the good people all leave for other countries, there will be no one left in Canada to fight the evil forces.

That would be correct, but I shouldn't have to fight my own government. That is insane.

I pay for this. They should be fighting for us

Travel outside of Canada, and this highly divisive rhetoric you see in the US and Canada are nowhere to be seen in many of the countries we have seen.

I am seeing more and more of the woke hard leftists taking over, and its sobering to me. Its creating far more extremes at either opposite. 

I have always worked my a** off, worked harder to build my name. It seems like all these things don't matter.

Business. Creating jobs for others. 

Canada seems to not care much for these people anymore. 

Home owners, renters. 

Why would I want to bust my butt for such a country, when I could create far more jobs in the Philippines? 

Governments there roll out the red carpet for those who want to invest there. We put up so much bureaucratic red tape.

Heck, why live in Canada with eroding freedoms when I can just live in Hong Kong with the wife? They also roll out the red carpet for people like us.

With views like this, no less:

image.thumb.png.6619b281f649f182a29892801243ce7b.png

She's part Chinese and speaks Cantonese. Am currently sharpening mine.

If am not going to have much rights, why would I want to be in Canada  with drug addiction and crime everywhere? Incompetent leaders?

Hong Kong is hands down one of the safest cities I know of of its size. No taxes. Incompetence there gets you fired. They are a meritocracy. 

At least I know what am getting into, in moving there.

Canada is losing its place and respect. Rightfully so.

I used to be so proud to be Canadian. I still am, but Trudeau makes me more hesitant to broadcast this when traveling. 

7 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

It was fair when women and visible minorities were passed over in favour of white males?

No - that's why that kind of crap was ended many many years ago.

Apparently we've decided to go back to it. The 'progressives' are being pretty regressive again.

22 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

It was fair when women and visible minorities were passed over in favour of white males?

Then you need to prove that the reason they were passed over was because of discrimination, not because of their lack of qualifications or competence.

I don't doubt that historically white males tended to land jobs, however this fact alone does not prove that there was favoritism.  It could just be that white males tended to be the most competent.  This is not their fault, and it's not the employers' fault, either.

Edited by GroundskeeperWillie

15 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Then you need to prove that the reason they were passed over was because of discrimination, not because of their lack of qualifications or competence.

I don't doubt that historically white males tended to land jobs, however this fact alone does not prove that there was favoritism.  It could just be that white males tended to be the most competent.  This is not their fault, and it's not the employers' fault, either.

You think it was an accident of chance that white males were favoured and there were never any systemic issues in Canada?  

You haven’t seen any evidence yet?

I think the phenomenon of discrimination in Canadian workplaces has been well established, don’t you?

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

It might be a good idea to buy up land there now.

I had initially considered Mexico, but Cuba does seem interesting as well.

My penchant for the Philippines is more based on my wife being Filipina, and me speaking Tagalog, however. Also, we invested heavily in the Philippines already, with a goal on retiring early via business and real estate ownership.

Its just insane the amount of people who leave for similar reasons.