CRA vs Revenu Quebec (vs Tax Alberta, or a CPP Alberta)

No one wants to pay tax. (Fine, agree.)

More painful, possibly, is the way the tax is collected/calculated. (Why? How?)

======

In this modern world, in civilised Canada. we want to pay our taxes easily, quickly, online:

Revenu Quebec works (I hate them but they are correct.)

Canada Revenue Agency does not work.

53 minutes ago, August1991 said:

If I were Poilievre, I would do as Harper suggested and have a single form and let bureaucrats in Quebec collect the federal income tax. They would do a better job - and Canada would have more.

If we collect it we keep it for us.

11 minutes ago, Gaétan said:

If we collect it we keep it for us.

Zero-sum thinking. Who is "us"?

=====

BTW, bureaucrats in Revenu-Quebec calculate collect the federal GST - and then send money to the feds. I reckon the federal government/other Canadians receive more money through this method.

Edited by August1991

Sorry to disagree, but I've filed corporate taxes and such on the CRA site as far back as 2010.
It's just like most huge corporate or govt sites, a total abortion you need both the patience of a saint and the skills of a professional webmaster to navigate through. But you can still do what those people with only one T4 and find filing just oh so difficult, PAY someone else to do it.

Even our pi$$y small town has only online stuff requiring seniors to have or get access a computer to use. I must file every year online for the senior's discount. You know, in case I somehow got younger since last year !

Edited by herbie

6 minutes ago, herbie said:

Sorry to disagree, but I've filed corporate taxes and such on the CRA site as far back as 2010.
It's just like most huge corporate or govt sites, a total abortion you need both the patience of a saint and the skills of a professional webmaster to navigate through. But you can still do what those people with only one T4 and find filing just oh so difficult, PAY someone else to do it.

Disagree?

Herbie, you seem to agree.

=====

Pay someone else to do what I can do myself?

17 hours ago, August1991 said:

The CRA login/website is a disaster. (I understand the issues with fraud - endless passwords.)

I have fewer problems with my Qc login 

Setting up a CRA (Revenue Canada) online account for the first time can be a bit challenging. Setting up a My Services Canada online account (for such things as OAS) can be just as challenging if not worse. I believe you can link the 2 in some way but I've always kept my CRA account separate from the My Services Canada account to avoid confusion. In other words I treat each account as their own separate entity with their own User ID, passwords, and security questions. Once you're set up the websites themselves are fairly easy to navigate. Not sure what your problems are exactly but I thought this might help.

18 hours ago, August1991 said:

There are some 120,000 people on PEI. Newfoundlanders? About 600,000 or so.

For all tax issues - in this modern world, civilised Canada - they should be able to talk to someone local.

They used to have these Revenue Canada tax information centers set up in different places so one could bring in their tax returns, take a number, and discuss any tax issues face to face with one of their tax experts. No charge, only a bit of waiting. My best guess is that they got rid of these things about 10 years ago or so. Of course there's Revenue Canada numbers you can call but in my experience, if it's an actual tax question they'll likely advise you to discuss it with your accountant. As if everyone has their own accountant 😄.

On 1/31/2024 at 5:44 PM, suds said:

They used to have these Revenue Canada tax information centers set up in different places so one could bring in their tax returns, take a number, and discuss any tax issues face to face with one of their tax experts. No charge, only a bit of waiting. My best guess is that they got rid of these things about 10 years ago or so. Of course there's Revenue Canada numbers you can call but in my experience, if it's an actual tax question they'll likely advise you to discuss it with your accountant. As if everyone has their own accountant 😄.

Online, I do the same.