Canadians ridicule Trudeau gov’t after ‘renewable’ energy failure nearly ends in catastrophe

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

IT actually does make a difference along with the intensity of the sun due to elevation.  It's still worth having solar but it sure doesn't make it MORE reliable.

Right, but the flip-side of this day is a day that's 46 mins longer before the summer solstice and autumnal equinox.  

Does anyone even know how much energy you get per solar panel compared to the cost of the panel, installation, and battery storage? How long do you have to have it before you finally start to save money with it? 

48 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Me, I am growing increasingly anti-nuclear in my view as I find out more about the plans, and more specifically lack of plans to deal with nuclear waste. I think the smaller SMR's reduce that risk of serious nuclear accidents like Chernobyl and Fukushima by spreading them out over a larger area, but that's just a numbers game. The real issue is the toxic and radioactive waste of nuclear, which will persist for 100's of thousands of years. It's unlikely that our civilization will be around anywhere near that long. Without constant human attention and intervention, these technologies can become a threat to all life.

Keep in mind that then when you hear negatives about any form of energy, a lot of it comes from the providers of other forms of energy and it's never going to be an honest comparison.

If you store used fuel cells 500m underground in lead/cement bunkers is it really going to do anything to the earth over the course of 100,000 years?

You know that humans are radioactive, right? Bananas? 

If you eat a banana and then sleep in a bed with someone else tonight you'll get more radiation from those two things than you ever will from all the used fuel cells that were properly disposed of.

So I'd rather see we continue using fossil fuel, and invest more in R&D to "scrub" out the pollutants and to recover the carbon. Surely there are still many possibilities for improvements in that. Making fossil fuel a more efficient of an energy source is already a big step to reducing carbon, if that is in fact a problem at all...

;)

I think that we need to keep looking for alternative fuel sources, but maybe we also burn energy at an unacceptable level in our generation. Small families in big houses, all driving big cars... It's a lot. 

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

Alberta is third in both wind and solar generating capacity.  Where is this hydro generation supposed to come from? Who has electrical storage capacity? Only a tiny amount of electricity is generated from geo thermal in Canada. 

Zero of which to thank Smith for.
And the others you want to justify not looking at because someone else isn't fully invested in it?
I do recognize Alberta isn't known for volcanic hot spots. BC is and we're dragging our asses on that as well. People are loudly blabbing about SMR. no one doing. People belittled storage and boom, Musk built a battery one for Australia. Add to that, what's to say Alberta can't partly or fully own a project in another province.

A million solutions, and here you all go refusing any. That's my point. FFS you can even convert oil and gas into hydrogen, hide the carbon under the rug if you're too dumb to use it for something and then make thermo-electric,

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Those 'green' technologies are literally like toys compared to what is needed to provide sustained, high power. Only fossil fuel and nuclear are capable of doing it reliably. Besides, they ain't that green either. When it comes to energy, there is no free lunch.

Me, I am growing increasingly anti-nuclear in my view as I find out more about the plans, and more specifically lack of plans to deal with nuclear waste. I think the smaller SMR's reduce that risk of serious nuclear accidents like Chernobyl and Fukushima by spreading them out over a larger area, but that's just a numbers game. The real issue is the toxic and radioactive waste of nuclear, which will persist for 100's of thousands of years. It's unlikely that our civilization will be around anywhere near that long. Without constant human attention and intervention, these technologies can become a threat to all life.

So I'd rather see we continue using fossil fuel, and invest more in R&D to "scrub" out the pollutants and to recover the carbon. Surely there are still many possibilities for improvements in that. Making fossil fuel a more efficient of an energy source is already a big step to reducing carbon, if that is in fact a problem at all...

;)

Hey, whichever tech matures fastest is fine  with me :)    I don't have a problem with nukes, having read a lot about the latest designs and recycling the waste i'm pretty comfortable with the small amount that's left over and our ability to safely dispose of it. But i'm just as happy with some other form. If they get plasma fusion figured out, great.  If they invent quantum super-batteries that allow us to easily store huge amounts of power then we can look at solar and wind again.  If they've got the kinks in nukes worked out - fine.  Whatever we have that works but pretending we have something when we VERY CLEARLY DON"T is not ok.

11 minutes ago, herbie said:

Do you even know what FTFY means?

Making up absolute shit and posting it as if someone else did is not it.

It is according to you.

And what are you getting mad about? I SAID 'fify' so it's ok to misquote you right?

I tell you what.  Maybe we should both not be doing that any more. If you've got something to say use your own words you crybaby.

Edited by CdnFox

On 1/18/2024 at 4:36 PM, CdnFox said:

“How many would be dead in Alberta tonight if all they had was wind turbines and solar panels to rely on? -31 in Edmonton tonight,” posted X, formerly Twitter, user John Lee Pettimore.  

Interesting take on it.  I mean - he's not wrong.

How many?  If people lived ecologically minded lives in places where they belong - the answer would be ZERO.

Now bring one million Hindu to the Arctic and you can make a case for more fossil fuel extraction.

Where they came from, they were running barefoot in the mud with or without a shirt on, some rode a bicycle but most walked.  They did not need heating in the winter, or was it called the rainy season there?

Yeah, we've been building one scam upon another, but it will catch up with us (read them).

Edited by cougar

18 minutes ago, cougar said:

How many?  If people lived ecologically minded lives in places where they belong - the answer would be ZERO.

So you're saying people don't belong in Alberta? That might upset some people - especially the albertans.

The real answer is most of them. That's how many would be dead if they relied on renewables.

Now bring one million Hindu to the Arctic and you can make a case for more fossil fuel extraction.

So... you've decided that sanity just isn't your cup of tea i take it.

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

So... you've decided that sanity just isn't your cup of tea i take it.

Oh, insults, because truth hurts ???

too difficult to admit it?

Yes, those people do not belong there , that's exactly it!

2 minutes ago, cougar said:

Oh, insults, because truth hurts ???

no, it was more commentary on your bat-crap crazy post :)

too difficult to admit it?

Too difficult to understand you gibberish. It might make more sense if i took the same drugs as you i suppose.

Yes, those people do not belong there , that's exactly it!

Well then you're just a tard. My condolences to your parents.

Edited by CdnFox

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

no, it was more commentary on your bat-crap crazy post :)

Too difficult to understand you gibberish. It might make more sense if i took the same drugs as you i suppose.

Well then you're just a tard. My condolences to your parents.

Well, blind bats see more than you do. 

Keep your profanities to yourself, if there is nothing in the form of arguments you can bring up.

22 minutes ago, cougar said:

Well, blind bats see more than you do.

Bats aren't blind you know.

Keep your profanities to yourself,

Fcuk that.

if there is nothing in the form of arguments you can bring up.

There's nothing to argue with. Your post was not an argument to be refuted, it was just verbal vomit with no sense and no logic.  Arguing that the problem isn't about energy and instead the REAL problem is that humans live in alberta is bat crap crazy.

Make a sane observation and we can have a discussion. FFS.

3 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

verbal vomit with no sense and no logic. 

If you can't see the logic and do not understand just don't respond or ask a question.  Or maybe you can even send those in a private message instead of s-ting over the topic.

Edited by cougar

9 hours ago, cougar said:

If you can't see the logic and do not understand just don't respond or ask a question.  Or maybe you can even send those in a private message instead of s-ting over the topic.

If you waste my time with crap like "people don't belong in alberta and should know better than to live there", expect to be ridiculed.  There is a certain bar that a statement has to pass before it can be called an actual reasoned position, and that failed utterly.

If you have something semi intelligent to offer with regards to power, or renewables, or reliables, or whatever then great put it out there but just saying "What?! There's PEOPLE in ALBERTA!??!?!"  is only going to get you laughed at. 

Theres a level of intellect below which there's no point to questions, and you are looking waaaaay up at that level.

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Theres a level of intellect below which there's no point to questions, and you are looking waaaaay up at that level.

The problem you are experiencing is you do not have the intellect to understand what I am telling you.

Go and read over my first post.

14 minutes ago, cougar said:

The problem you are experiencing is you do not have the intellect to understand what I am telling you.

The problem you are experiencing is that you have no intellect at all, and that's being reflected in your posts.  If you want to clarify your position then go ahead but i asked you to clarify once and your answer was that nobody should live in alberta. That is beyond stupid. I can't do much with 'beyond stupid'.

What does one say to someone who starts a thread with the false presumption that future Federal Energy policies had anything whatsoever to do with Alberta's brownouts in extraordinary conditions now. then wants you to 'imagine' how bad it would be should 90% the current power sources were turned off....

like I said before I can't imagine anyone that simple minded, only someone so stubbornly enjoying being a contrary troll for the h=sheer joy of pissing others off.
But as we see in some posts, there are quite a few other dimwits that actually think you are making and actual logical argument for your case.

1 hour ago, herbie said:

What does one say to someone who starts a thread with the false presumption that future Federal Energy policies had anything whatsoever to do with Alberta's brownouts in extraordinary conditions now. then wants you to 'imagine' how bad it would be should 90% the current power sources were turned off....

You say "Gosh you're right - maybe trudeau shouldn't be be trying to force the provinces to change to renewables until we've got some reliable renewables, seems like there's still some issues"

And just in case it comes , here's what you say to someone who asks such a stupid question - "Hey dipshit, maybe get your head out of your ass and address the issues.

like I said before I can't imagine anyone that simple minded, only someone so stubbornly enjoying being a contrary troll for the h=sheer joy of pissing others off.
But as we see in some posts, there are quite a few other dimwits that actually think you are making and actual logical argument for your case.

Go look in a mirror, he's right there.  Your post was useless and offered nothing but insults and didn't address the issue - you're literally the epitome of the mindless contrarian troll who shows up to vomit garbage whenever anyone points out trudeau is a complete turd. 

28 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Your post was useless and offered nothing but insults and didn't address the issue - you're literally the epitome of the mindless contrarian troll who shows up to vomit garbage whenever anyone points out trudeau is a complete turd. 

His post was quite moderate and on the subject.

What you posted above, sadly describes your own posts.

I wonder why we do not have a moderator to mop up your p-ss

4 minutes ago, cougar said:

His post was quite moderate and on the subject.

What you posted above, sadly describes your own posts.

I wonder why we do not have a moderator to mop up your p-ss

He started with an insult - and got insulted.

it's "Moderate" in the sense that it was only stupid and rude, which means it's still better than some of your posts.

I'd be careful what you wish for, you may be the first one to face the mop in such cases :) 

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

I'd be careful what you wish for, you may be the first one to face the mop in such cases :) 

So be it.  I had you reported.

4 minutes ago, cougar said:

So be it.  I had you reported.

Oh noes.

Well you do seem like the kind of left wing person who supports cancel culture for those he doesn't agree with.

And again - he starts with an insult and you whine when he's insulted back. You start with an insult and whine when you're insulted back.

What kind of a person does that make you, do you think?