Top economists link Trudeau's immigration policies to rising inflation and weak productivity

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

You melted your own brain doing desperate mental gymnastics to make these quotes mean something that doesn't so obviously torpedo your clueless bullshitting.

LOL - only you would think that the plain meaning of english requires any mental effort. Just because YOU have to work at figuring out what words mean doesn't mean any one else does :)

It's definitely not complicated, and it's definitely not saying what you pretend it does.  

LOL - well you're half right.  I say it says Around 50% of the increase in inflation observed since the end of 2019 can be ascribed to global or foreign factors.

You seem to feel that those words actually say "justin trudeau innocent - had nothing to do with it! You bad man critisize justin!!  I spray hairspray on you - you go away!!!!" LOLOL

and sorry - if it's not an external influence then it's an internal one. That's how 'internal' and 'external work :)  

i'm sure justin appreciates your desperate efforts to spin it. Justin was responsible for at least half the inflation increases at the start, and it's climbed since then. His immigration policy and his spending and his taxes now represent most of our inflation/interest issues.  If he cut spending by a few percent and cut immigraiton we'd have zero issue.

Sorry - but 50 percent adds up to 50 percent no matter how many times you try to add it up differently :)  It's plain english :)  

52 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Abolishing money doesn't build more homes.  Price is determined by a simple math formula:  # of people vs # of homes.  Supply and demand = price.  If you increase demand every year and the supply of homes can't keep up the prices of homes will continue to go up.

If people start buying up homes as investment properties too because they see these housing price increases as a good investment with no financial disincentive to do so it will just increase the demand even more and make the problem even worse.

Then the real problem is money. All we have to do is to build apartments without being paid then they will be free of charge. Money is a system set up by cruel kings and dictators to enslave their population

Edited by Gaétan
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Gaétan said:

Then the real problem is money. All we Whave to do is to build apartments without being paid

Well get out there and get it done then.  Start tomorrow. I'll take two.

If that's the solution why aren't you out there building them without getting paid? Get to it - why are you being part of the problem?

10 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well get out there and get it done then.  Start tomorrow. I'll take two.

If that's the solution why aren't you out there building them without getting paid? Get to it - why are you being part of the problem?

Another way is to go to Maquaque Iland, take the money of richest and pay the workers to build them

Edited by Gaétan

10 hours ago, CdnFox said:

You seem to feel that those words actually say "justin trudeau innocent - had nothing to do with it! You bad man critisize justin!!  I spray hairspray on you - you go away!!!!" LOLOL

I'm saying that these words mean exactly what they say:

a.      Around 50% of the increase in inflation observed since the end of 2019 can be ascribed to global or foreign factors. These include US inflation, commodity prices and movements in the exchange rate.

b.     Supply challenges that largely reflect developments at the global level account for another 35% of the rise in inflation.

50% global/foreign factors + 35% to supply challenges = 85% of inflation accounted for.  

Your bozo claim that Trudeau was responsible for over half therefore makes absolutely no sense, and it's just more of your make-believe bullshitting.  🙃

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonbox said:

You melted your own brain doing desperate mental gymnastics to make these quotes mean something that doesn't so obviously torpedo your clueless bullshitting.  

LOL - talking to your mirror again i see :)  Very left wing of you to accuse others of your own misdeeds :)

It's definitely not complicated, and it's definitely not saying what you pretend it does.  

Well you're half right. it's not complicated.

What I "pretend" it means is -   Around 50% of the increase in inflation observed since the end of 2019 can be ascribed to global or foreign factors. These include US inflation, commodity prices and movements in the exchange rate.

What you pretend it means is  "EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IS COMPLETELY GLOBAL - 50% actually means 100% DERP!!!!!!

It's just that simple. Only 50 percent of the inflation at that point which was about mid 2022's data was due to exterior global factors outside of canada.

50 percent. Half.  Thats it. No more, no matter how you try desperately to twist the meaning of plain english. Half. That's it.

No WONDER liberals can never hit their budget - if you're any example they can't even master what 50 percent means :) LOL

And nowadays it's much closer to 100 percent.  The inflation/interest problems we have are a result of trudeau's spending, tax and immigration policies.

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

What you pretend it means is  "EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IS COMPLETELY GLOBAL - 50% actually means 100% DERP!!!!!!

No, I mean:

a.      Around 50% of the increase in inflation observed since the end of 2019 can be ascribed to global or foreign factors. These include US inflation, commodity prices and movements in the exchange rate.

b.     Supply challenges that largely reflect developments at the global level account for another 35% of the rise in inflation.

50% global/foreign factors + 35% to supply challenges = 85% of inflation accounted for.  

• Like 1

Just now, Moonbox said:

No, I mean:

a.      Around 50% of the increase in inflation observed since the end of 2019 can be ascribed to global or foreign factors. 

Well you don't mean that at all.  THEY mean that.  I mean that.  You mean something completely different.

I keep telling you - 50 percent. That's it.  Half.  No more. No less. It's right tthere in plain english.

only half of the inflation observed can be ascribed to global or foreign factors.  Only half.

Say it again - maybe it'll change if you keep repeating it ':) 

And now trudeau is responsible for pretty much all of it. 

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I keep telling you - 50 percent. That's it.  Half.  No more. No less. It's right tthere in plain english.

and then:

Right there, in plain English!  🤣

50+35 = 85% of inflation accounted for!

Edited by Moonbox
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Quarmart said:

This immigration policy debate is heating up. It's essential to have open discussions without resorting to name-calling.

A very difficult undertaking when so many people can't or refuse to argue from the same sets of facts, definitions, history even simple arithmetic etc.  We're in a similar but even worse situation than the people trying to build the Tower of Babel who at least tried to cooperate with one another in common cause.

and then:

Still internal - they REFLECT global issues - not 'are caused by'.  Covid reflects a global issue but CERB was a liberal policy.

50 percent equals 50 percent. Lets read it together again...

Around 50% of the increase in inflation observed since the end of 2019 can be ascribed to global or foreign factors. 

So the rest of the inflation is NOT due ot foreign or global factors.  It's that simple.

Sure - covid was something that happened globally. But it was still trudeau who decided the response and the corporate bail outs etc etc.  And still him who chose not to cut gov't spending elsewhere.

Trudeau WAS responsible for about half of our inflation - now it's much closer to all.  And if he'd cut spending we wouldnt' have needed interest rate hikes and wouldnt' have had the inflation we did.

Sorry - i know you love the guy, but this IS his fault for better or worse.

Economists use statistical models which tell you correlation between variables. If the dependent variable is inflation and one of the contributing variables is immigrant population.. they are going to be strongly correlated. Where you would get the real juicy stuff (so to speak) is adding variables such as per capita real income, per capita gdp, cost of living (historical series), and import/export ratios. 

2 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Economists use statistical models which tell you correlation between variables. If the dependent variable is inflation and one of the contributing variables is immigrant population.. they are going to be strongly correlated. Where you would get the real juicy stuff (so to speak) is adding variables such as per capita real income, per capita gdp, cost of living (historical series), and import/export ratios. 

Sure.  And as much as people love to point to only one variable as if it is the be all end all it is important to look at the whole thing.

Unfortunately we're doing badly by almost every metric.  Our gdp per capita is nosediving horribly. Our per capital real income is shrinking, cost of living is going up, the tax base is going down, at the moment unemployment is starting to creep up, and we've got structural issues in health, homes and other factors that are crippling. Compared to other countries (including the states) we're doing horrible.

We can have a discussion as a country about what has to change -or the best way to change it or what is or is not acceptable for the various metrics etc - but not by sticking our heads in the sand and pretending things didnt' happen like some of the posters on this thread have.

8 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Still internal - they REFLECT global issues - not 'are caused by'.  Covid reflects a global issue but CERB was a liberal policy.

Where does it say "internal"?  

Where does it say, "Caused by Trudeau?"  Here it is again, in case you're still confused about what they were talking about:

b.     Supply challenges that largely reflect developments at the global level account for another 35% of the rise in inflation.

18 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Trudeau WAS responsible for about half of our inflation

Except 50% to global factors, plus another 35% to supply challenges = 85%.  Your math does not check out.  🙃

6 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Except 50% to global factors, plus another 35% to supply challenges = 85%.  Your math does not check out.  🙃

Supply challenges aren't global automatically.  THey already cited the ones that were global.  Supply happens inside canada.  Carbon tax affects supply.  Truckers affect supply.  Immigration RADICALLY affects supply internally. People having more money to spend radically affects supply.

How fast we build homes is a supply challenge. Hell - how much lumber costs is a supply issue Remember when that shot through the roof?

Is this the problem here? That you're uneducated to the point that you think any supply issue automatically means in some foreign land?

Sorry - only 50 percent of our inflation came from issues outside canada.  THe fact we didn't have enough homes for our population is an internal issue - and made worse by the immigration policy.

LOL  well at least we got to the bottom of it - it was obvious you didn't understand what you were talking about but i coudlnt' figure out what it was exactly you didnt' understand. Now we know :) 

33 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Supply challenges aren't global automatically.

Not automatically, but when they say they "largely reflect developments at the global level" , it takes some clownworld logic to conclude that means "not global".  🤣

36 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

THey already cited the ones that were global.  Supply happens inside canada.

No they didn't.  They provided examples of things they included in the first 50% of attributable causes for inflation:

Curiously missing from that list?  Global supply chain issues. That merited its own entry:

b.     Supply challenges that largely reflect developments at the global level account for another 35% of the rise in inflation.

...No they didn't.  They provided examples of things they included in the first 50% of attributable causes for inflation:

Curiously missing from that list?  Global supply chain issues. That merited its own entry:...

Speaking of missing entries I wonder what sort of pretzel arithmetic we'd be subjected to if the authors had made it any clearer what they meant by specifically stating the number 15% in the following statement? 

Purely domestic factors account for a small, but important, share of inflation.

Not automatically, but when they say they "largely reflect developments at the global level" , it takes some clownworld logic to conclude that means "not global".  🤣

No they didn't.  They provided examples of things they included in the first 50% of attributable causes for inflation:

Curiously missing from that list?  Global supply chain issues. That merited its own entry:

Why would it be curious.  It's not a list - it says these INCLUDE - not THIS IS THE ENTIRE LIST OF ITEMS! :)  

How said was that :)   So are you saying at this point that you honestly believed there were NO OTHER foreign issues beside inflation commodity and exchange issues?  You hadn't heard about the chip shortages that drove cars up? or the war in the ukraine? LOLOL - every time you talk you expose your ignorance a little more :)

"Including" means that these are included on the list, not that these are the list :)  it would only be 'curious to truly dumb people :)  

Supply challenges that largely reflect developments at the global level account for another 35% of the rise in inflation.

Yep - of the 100 percent external forces contributed 50 percent of it - NON EXTERNAL issues reflecting supply and global level development such as covid were another thirtyfive percent, and of course purely domestic was another 15.  100 in total

It's sad how often i have to explain how english works to you. Just curious - what was your first language?

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Speaking of missing entries I wonder what sort of pretzel arithmetic we'd be subjected to if the authors had made it any clearer what they meant by specifically stating the number 15% in the following statement? 

Purely domestic factors account for a small, but important, share of inflation.

I answered that clearly and in detail earlier when you asked

Ohhhh - are we at the point where you pretend not to hear the facts and just keep repeating lies hoping they'll be true? :)   how cute.

I get that it's a favorite trick of the left when they're losing a discussion to ask the same quesiton over and over ignoring the answers and facts. But really - it's kind of childish isn't it?

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

I answered that clearly and in detail earlier when you asked.

No you didn't actually. You detailed a bunch of hooey.

Why do you think they used the word purely together with the word domestic the way they did?

7 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No you didn't actually. You detailed a bunch of hooey.

I did actually.  You just pretend it's hooey because you don't like it.  Facts you don't like are hooey.

Sorry kid - facts don't care about your feelings or your hooey :) 

Why do you think they used the word purely together with the word domestic the way they did?

To differentiate between things that are ONLY issues in canada vs issues that SEVERAL countries are facing.

If the mayor of toronto raises taxes - that's ONLY an issue in canada.  CERB payments are addressing Covid - covid is affecting NUMEROUS countries, The covid response is internal but the issue reflects challeges lots of countries face

I get it, You' think you're matlock. You think somehow you can twist the words meanings and still make it work

You can't. 50 percent is external. Only 50 percent.  The rest are either purely domestic only or are issues that many countries are dealing with such as covid but for which the response is still ours, like cerb.  Not complex.

The bank said trudeau could make it all go away with 3  percent spending cuts mid way through 2022.  And now - pretty much all the inflation/interest is his fault due to immigration, spending, taxes and some policy

Sorry I know you're a huge fan and you've worked as hard as possible to twist the truth but at the end of the day we have the interest rates we do and the inflation we do because of him.  When PP gets in i bet a lot of that magically disappears in less then a year. Feel like placing a bet? :) 

Edited by CdnFox

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

You can't. 50 percent is external. Only 50 percent.  The rest are either purely domestic only or are issues that many countries are dealing with such as covid but for which the response is still ours, like cerb.  Not complex.

You're right.  It's not complex.  You're just making it up.  What you're saying above doesn't even remotely resemble what the bank economists said below:

44 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

You're right.  It's not complex.  You're just making it up.  What you're saying above doesn't even remotely resemble what the bank economists said below:

LOL - still on your hopeless mission to defend justin are you? What is this, like your 60th deperate attempt to claim he's not responsible because some how 50 percent doesnt' mean 50 percent?

So i said 50 percent is external.

What did they say?

LOL Not only is IT simple - i'm starting to think you are too :)

50 percent.  Is external. 5.... 0....

I realize you can't count that high without taking your socks off but there you go.

8 hours ago, CdnFox said:

So i said 50 percent is external.

Correct. You said that.  Nobody else did, and it's made-up nonsense.  

13 hours ago, CdnFox said:

50 percent is external. Only 50 percent.

What top economists are saying:

1.  Canadian inflation: mostly temporary and mostly foreign

2.  Around 50% of the increase in inflation observed since the end of 2019 can be ascribed to global or foreign factors. These include US inflation, commodity prices and movements in the exchange rate.

3.  Supply challenges that largely reflect developments at the global level account for another 35% of the rise in inflation.

4.  Well over half of the increase in inflation observed in Canada reflects global factors and supply challenges

5.  Purely domestic factors account for a small, but important, share of inflation.

From these 5 quotes, you're absurdly concluding:

a) Only 50% is "external".

b) Justin is responsible for over 50% of inflation. Got it!  😆👌

14 hours ago, CdnFox said:

To differentiate between things that are ONLY issues in canada 

That's correct.

Now complete the sequence below to discover the percentage of things that are different from the issues accounted for.

50% + 35% + ... = 100%