Mutant apples in Canada

On 12/4/2023 at 3:04 AM, TreeBeard said:

You don’t even know how ridiculously wrong this is, do you?  Or was this a joke?

Yes, that’s the process.  Why is it “gross”?

Not sure, what do you think? Are these scientists really that smart and all knowing, infallible in their genetic meddlings, or are they just a bunch of university punks playing god, with stuff they know little about?

"Starting with the amino acid tyrosine, the initial steps in melanin formation are catalyzed by polyphenol oxidases (PPO, EC 1.14.18.1), a large family of copper-containing enzymes that are also called tyrosinase, monophenol monooxidase, or catechol oxidase depending on their source and substrate specificity. The enzymes act on several related compounds that have one or more hydroxyl groups attached to a benzene ring. They are responsible for the color, astringency, and flavor associated with the fruit. The activities of polyphenol oxidase and the concentrations of polyphenolic substrates vary among different apple cultivars and are related to the degree of browning. While all natural varieties of apples are susceptible to browning when they are cut or damaged, several non-browning varieties have been made with reduced expression of PPO by gene silencing. These apples are not yet widely distributed in North America because they are GMOs"

Does that sound like something you want to consume?

How long until they unleash another biological scourge for the world to deal with, like when they made killer bees?

And also, why do animals avoid eating gmo?

FFS don't buy them then. I have a kid that won't eat dairy or honey for equally stubborn reasons.

But I suggest you eat bananas now while you can. We're already on the edge of either GMO bananas or Yes-we have no bananas.

BTW There's nothing wromng with green eggs, they taste just like the white, brown and blue ones. It's the green ham you have to worry about

Edited by herbie

6 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Big words don’t scare me.  There are also big words for the natural processes that occur from seed to fruit.  

Right exactly, but my question still is, can they grow chicken wings on that thing, cause for many, it would solve some ethical problems?

On 12/7/2023 at 4:34 PM, herbie said:

There's nothing wromng with green eggs, they taste just like the white, brown and blue ones. It's the green ham you have to worry about

I heard they're comin out with them glow in the dark pigs pretty soon. I guess that's cool, you can find your ham in the dark.

enhanced-buzz-6074-1388415382-11.jpg?dow

an apparently it cannot get spoilt

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alisonvingiano/scientists-in-china-made-glow-in-the-dark-pigs

26 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Can you point to any science showing that it is unsafe?

There are two schools of thought  on GMO safety. That info is all over the internet. I always err on the non trust side.

We were once told that DDT and asbestos was safe. look up Wizard of Oz snow.

Dated I woman for a while until she told me about how "unsafe" and "unproven" the Pill and IUDs were. Every woman I knew used the Pill in the 1960s, my ex wife had UIDs for 25 yrs except for when we were trying to have kids.

Decided I wasn't gonna start another family in my 50s with some Nancy nature 50 years of science denier. Met a gal who bought $50 a litre bottles of wolfberry juice and tool a teaspoon every morning swearing how good that was. Could have doubled the anti-oxidants with a couple blueberries on her cornflakes.
Put up with a Vegan daughter, but I always make tiny bleating noises eating lamb chops in front of her or hold a steak knife up and make tiny "no, no! help me - help me" (from the original The Fly) waving it at meat.

DDT, asbestos and Thalidomide were over 60 years ago, but keep denying to yourself that human society can learn dick shit. Stand up and fight for the rights of the very corporations that flogged them on us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...