400000 quebec workers begin 3 day strike

• 2 weeks later...

Fn teachers. Tons of money, great pension and work only 170 days a year and they want more money for that. BS!!!!

And nurses, they want better working conditions and more money?? What the hell is that? They knew before they even went to day one of their schooling that shifts were 12 hours, 4 days a week and all rookies work nights

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Fn teachers. Tons of money, great pension and work only 170 days a year and they want more money for that. BS!!!!

And nurses, they want better working conditions and more money?? What the hell is that? They knew before they even went to day one of their schooling that shifts were 12 hours, 4 days a week and all rookies work nights

Is education a priority in our society? Yes.

Are teachers paid enough in terms of full time positions when they have them? Yes.

Are teachers conditions good before they get those full time positions? Not at all. Then let's compensate them for that if we don't fix the issues I will mention.

In Quebec, many teachers who are starting don't have a full time position until they have a few years of experience. They have 4 years of university instead of 3 (in Quebec, a degree is 3 years because we have a different education system, where we have to go through CEGEP), and have a lot of hours to go through an unpaid internship. It brings them to debt although they receive some loans from the government they have to pay for after.

I understand their grievances and wish them at least a boost in their paychecks if they don't get better conditions.

It's not the number of days worked that matter. It's what they bring and how hard the job is. Teaching 25+ kids in a single class is very hard, where you have to handle not only the children who are out of control, but as well the unhinged parents who think their kids are going to be the next Presidents of the Universe...

Edited by QuebecOverCanada

26 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Is education a priority in our society? Yes.

Are teachers paid enough in terms of full time positions when they have them? Yes.

Are teachers conditions good before they get those full time positions? Not at all. Then let's compensate them for that if we don't fix the issues I will mention.

In Quebec, many teachers who are starting don't have a full time position until they have a few years of experience. They have 4 years of university instead of 3 (in Quebec, a degree is 3 years because we have a different education system, where we have to go through CEGEP), and have a lot of hours to go through an unpaid internship. It brings them to debt although they receive some loans from the government they have to pay for after.

I understand their grievances and wish them at least a boost in their paychecks if they don't get better conditions.

It's not the number of days worked that matter. It's what they bring and how hard the job is. Teaching 25+ kids in a single class is very hard, where you have to handle not only the children who are out of control, but as well the unhinged parents who think their kids are going to be the next Presidents of the Universe...

Oh stop.

Part time is part time, no matter what work it is. You ain't got nuthin if you are part time and that is OK and the way it should be. Why pay more for less work??? The average salary for a Teacher is $70768 per year in Quebec (from google) for 170 teaching days a year. Average Quebec wages for all is $44,300 (aso from google). Extrapolate teachers wages out to a full year of 260 days like the rest of the population and I think teachers are already overpaid.

It is exactly getting paid for what you do. If you work less why should you get paid a full years pay if you don't work it??

Thee hard part of teaching is getting prepared the first year, after that you just regurgitate the same stuff every year.

Unhinged kids and unhinged parents are the problem of the school and board, not teachers. I used to work within the  school system (no tin Quebec) as a volunteer coach for  many years and teachers do not put up with crap from students or parents.

Teachers have taken the public for a ride for decades. No sympathy from me at all.

Edited by ExFlyer

4 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Oh stop.

Part time is part time, no matter what work it is. You ain't got nuthin if you are part time and that is OK and the way it should be. Why pay more for less work???

It is exactly getting paid for what you do. If you work less why should you get paid a full years pay if you don't work it??

Thee hard part of teaching is getting prepared the first year, after that you just regurgitate the same stuff every year.

Unhinged kids and unhinged parents are the problem of the school and board, not teachers. I used to work within the  school system (no tin Quebec) as a volunteer coach for  many years and teachers do not put up with crap from students or parents.

Teachers have taken the public for a ride for decades. No sympathy from me at all.

So you're saying that miners or oil rig workers are part time workers, and have no sympathy for them, and wish no government grant from us?

1 hour ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

So you're saying that miners or oil rig workers are part time workers, and have no sympathy for them, and wish no government grant from us?

Nope, miners or oil rig workers (and I know a lot of oil rig workers) go into the mines or on the rigs and stay for 2 or more weeks at a time and work many hours per day and then go back out for 2 weeks. They work their asses of f. On an annual hourly work, they work far more then teachers. And they get diddly shit from government.

And if you in any way trying to compare working in a mine or an oil t=rig to sitting in a warm or air conditioned classroom, you are waaay out to lunch LOL

Nice try though LOL

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Nope, miners or oil rig workers (and I know a lot of oil rig workers) go into the mines or on the rigs and stay for 2 or more weeks at a time and work many hours per day and then go back out for 2 weeks. They work their asses of f. On an annual hourly work, they work far more then teachers. And they get diddly shit from government.

And if you in any way trying to compare working in a mine or an oil t=rig to sitting in a warm or air conditioned classroom, you are waaay out to lunch LOL

Nice try though LOL

Hey so working less than 187 days a year is OK then, understood.

So your point about the teachers?

Can you handle 25 kids, yourself, for more than an hour?

Hey so working less than 187 days a year is OK then, understood.

So your point about the teachers?

Can you handle 25 kids, yourself, for more than an hour?

Nope, Like I said, those on oil rigs and mines work far more hours per day than teachers, 12+ hrs per day (@2244 + hrs) versus 6 hrs per day for teachers (1020 hrs).

Plus they work underground or in the cold and rain and snow and ice versus in a heated or cooled classroom.

So, my point about teachers is that it is pretty soft, well paid , comfortable job.

And yes, I coached football and had 36 to 50 kids, 2+ hrs per day, and game days for 6 months per year (plus off season training as well)

Suck back q-bececker, teachers have a soft high paying job already.

Lastly, I have teachers in my family and can assure you that none are overworked or poor and have the best pensions and benefits in the country. (in North America)

Edited by ExFlyer

18 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Nope, Like I said, those on oil rigs and mines work far more hours per day than teachers, 12+ hrs per day (@2244 + hrs) versus 6 hrs per day for teachers (1020 hrs).

Plus they work underground or in the cold and rain and snow and ice versus in a heated or cooled classroom.

So, my point about teachers is that it is pretty soft, well paid , comfortable job.

And yes, I coached football and had 36 to 50 kids, 2+ hrs per day, and game days for 6 months per year (plus off season training as well)

Suck back q-bececker, teachers have a soft high paying job already.

Lastly, I have teachers in my family and can assure you that none are overworked or poor and have the best pensions and benefits in the country. (in North America)

Oh you coached football?

That's totally comparable to handling a class of 25 kids with potentially 50 m0ron parents such as you.

8 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Oh you coached football?

That's totally comparable to handling a class of 25 kids with potentially 50 m0ron parents such as you.

Yes, for many many years .

You are now insulting all coaches for their time, dedication and effort?? Coaching football , or any other sport is dealing with the sport, the competition, and ever changing situations. It is getting the 30 to 50 kids all on the same page for the same goal. Something a couch potato keyboard warrior like you is unable to comprehend and understand.

Dealing with parents is easy, you don't like what I am doing with your kid, take him away.

So, now I am a m0ron parent? Parent?? Because you do not have a better argument to put forth?? Perhaps you are just a plain m0ron because you have no clue and cannot find any fault with my comments??

Edited by ExFlyer

On 12/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, ExFlyer said:

''''

I agree.

Every Thursday, money is in the account. Women love such a life/job.

Unless the women are in real estate.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:50 AM, QuebecOverCanada said:

How many unpaid hours - and I wonder how long miners and oil rig workers would put up with working for nothing?

14 hours ago, eyeball said:

How many unpaid hours - and I wonder how long miners and oil rig workers would put up with working for nothing?

Teachers, whom I assume you are speaking of, do not and have never worked for an hourly wage. they get an annual salary.

Yes, you can break it down to hourly (as high as $55.00 per hour) but remember it is only 170 - 190 days of work per year, not the 270 all (most) Canadians work. ("The average FIRST YEAR TEACHER SALARY in the Quebec, as of November 2023, is $30.37 an hour or $63168 per year."

Miner and oil rig workers also work away form home in cold, wind, rain, snow etc while teachers work in their local area in climate controlled spaces. Big difference. Stupid comparison LOL

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Teachers, whom I assume you are speaking of, do not and have never worked for an hourly wage. they get an annual salary.

What about the unpaid internship that was mentioned? Are miners and rig workers expected to do this too?

It's not just teachers - like my son for example who upon graduating as a sound engineer was told to expect prospective employers would probably insist he work for up to a year for free as well.

Thankfully he found employment working for an honest communist instead.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

What about the unpaid internship that was mentioned? Are miners and rig workers expected to do this too?

It's not just teachers - like my son for example who upon graduating as a sound engineer was told to expect prospective employers would probably insist he work for up to a year for free as well.

Thankfully he found employment working for an honest communist instead.

OK, "What about the unpaid internship". No one is forced, it is to gain experience if they want.

So, if your Son wanted to, he could, if not, no one is forcing him.

Do not try and make unforced anything worth anything. Choices are with the person.

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

I didn't use the word force...COVID taught us that word's too politically charged to be trifled with...heads explode.

I did. I said no one is forcing anyone to take unpaid work. ya wann? Go ahead.

20 hours ago, August1991 said:

Many women in real estate do exactly that - yet most real estate brokers are now women.

A risky business!

Most folks on commission do. No sales, no pay.

On 12/6/2023 at 7:21 AM, ExFlyer said:

And you wonder why there is a shortage of both.

42 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I did. I said no one is forcing anyone to take unpaid work. ya wann? Go ahead.

I suppose, although it probably wouldn't take much for employers to plead the market is forcing them to employ as much free labour as possible.  It's hard to imagine why anyone would need to work for nothing at the moment given the current labour shortage the market is apparently struggling with.

Edited by eyeball

So I spoke to a couple of friends that have taken the road to become teachers over the week end.

They say that when they started, the salary is prorated to 57K. But they only get contracts to which they make 60% to 80% of that amount. 60% of 57K = $34,200 gross.

It's been two years they started so they make just a little more nowadays, while living with 2 other roommates as they can't afford rent the two of them only together. They don't have a car, they rent and are living paycheck to paycheck.

But according to the ExFlyer, they get such good working conditions and don't work hard.

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

And you wonder why there is a shortage of both.

Ya gotta wonder.

Thing is many occupations, trades and professions are clambering for workers and employees. Perhaps potential folks are looking for something that pays huge money but requires no work?

Where are the workers?

COVID money given to anybody and everybody seems ot have made people think, they can get money for nothing. No work? It's OK , the government will give you money.

So I spoke to a couple of friends that have taken the road to become teachers over the week end.

They say that when they started, the salary is prorated to 57K. But they only get contracts to which they make 60% to 80% of that amount. 60% of 57K = $34,200 gross.

It's been two years they started so they make just a little more nowadays, while living with 2 other roommates as they can't afford rent the two of them only together. They don't have a car, they rent and are living paycheck to paycheck.

But according to the ExFlyer, they get such good working conditions and don't work hard.

You cannot deny that all professions , workers, apprentices start at the bottom of the ladder.

You cannot deny that getting an inside job with heat, air conditioning , free parking, great pensions, full medical and dental benefits and only work 170-190 days a year is not good working conditions

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I suppose, although it probably wouldn't take much for employers to plead the market is forcing them to employ as much free labour as possible.  It's hard to imagine why anyone would need to work for nothing at the moment given the current labour shortage the market is apparently struggling with.

Every job, profession, occupation, trade, employer has its idiosyncrasies and methodology. It is up to the potential employee/worker to figure that out..

Some have apprenticeships, some have internships and the employee needs to figure that out.

As the old saying goes, "every man for them self".

Edited by ExFlyer

22 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

You cannot deny that all professions , workers, apprentices start at the bottom of the ladder.

You cannot deny that getting an inside job with heat, air conditioning , free parking, great pensions, full medical and dental benefits and only work 170-190 days a year is not good working conditions

No it's not. You may be thrown away to a contract far, far away from where you've been living for most of your life. You have to handle unpredictable children, parents and even directors or fellow teachers. You have a lot of pressure for such a low salary. Plus when you're starting, you're not getting the same respect for the profession as if you're a perm.

I don't get why you're so insisting on the fact that their conditions are good. Imagine making only 60% of your salary, being on contract, with a possibility to be thrown almost everywhere in your province.

That's the reason they need at least compensation on their salaries. Or else, fix their working conditions.

15 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

No it's not. You may be thrown away to a contract far, far away from where you've been living for most of your life. You have to handle unpredictable children, parents and even directors or fellow teachers. You have a lot of pressure for such a low salary. Plus when you're starting, you're not getting the same respect for the profession as if you're a perm.

I don't get why you're so insisting on the fact that their conditions are good. Imagine making only 60% of your salary, being on contract, with a possibility to be thrown almost everywhere in your province.

That's the reason they need at least compensation on their salaries. Or else, fix their working conditions.

Cry me a river.

One of the highest paid jobs, some of the best benefits in North America best pension, least amount least mount of  working days and the days are only 6 hours long. You can only wish to have their working conditions;

So, F Off with your whining and making excuses.

• Haha 1