Resistance is never futile

7 young people sued Ontario over its climate policy. This week, they made their case

Seven young people who brought a landmark lawsuit against the Ontario government, alleging its climate plan fails to protect them and future generations, were heard in Ontario Superior Court in Toronto this week; the first time a climate lawsuit aimed at changing government policy has had a full hearing in court.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/ontario-climate-policy-lawsuit-1.6584416#:~:text=Evan Mitsui%2FCBC)-,Seven young people who brought a landmark lawsuit against the,a full hearing in court.

On the face of It this challenge doesn't look like it will succeed but it will herald the start of a learning process that should lead to better stronger cases.  The precedent being set here is kids suing their parents to do better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

On the face of It this challenge doesn't look like it will succeed but it will herald the start of a learning process that should lead to better stronger cases.  The precedent being set here is kids suing their parents to do better.

Not really - we know it won't succeed BECAUSE it's been tried previously and this is the end result.  Nothing new to learn.

Courts know they can't be telling gov'ts how to run the show.  They can't demand bigger or smaller budgets, they can't tell gov'ts which ministers to hire for which cabinet positions, they can't decide foreign policy.

About all they can do is let them have a hearing and tell them 'no' after.  Lets them at least make a public spectacle of it.  But - once the lose then you can bet Ford will care even less about the environment.  And they will again have set precedent that courts can't tell go'ts what to do.

Resistance is never futile!

So we CAN repeal gay and trans rights laws?!?  See fellas - don't give up!!!!!  (snicker!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

we know it won't succeed BECAUSE it's been tried previously and this is the end result.  Nothing new to learn.

Like I said it's the start of a learning process that should lead to better stronger cases.

I'd push kids in the direction of demonstrating, lobbying, suing whatever and wherever they can to lower the voting age and the age at which they can run for office.

It's like the climate changing, kids have needed to assume responsibility for their own survival for hundreds of thousands of years. It's completely natural.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Like I said it's the start of a learning process that should lead to better stronger cases.

yes - that's what you said. And i've explained why it's wrong.  The learning process started years ago with other cases that failed. This one will also fail.  That's not a learning process.

If anything it's most likely to entrench that failure and prevent other similar cases from being allowed.

It's arguably worth if for the publicity i suppose - they've made the papers.  But there's no learning.

I'd push kids in the direction of demonstrating, lobbying, suing whatever and wherever they can to lower the voting age and the age at which they can run for office.

The jokes about you pretty much write themselves after that :)

It's like the climate changing, kids have needed to assume responsibility for their own survival for hundreds of thousands of years. It's completely natural.

No, kids survived by learning how to behave and care for themselves from their parents.  And in those parts of history where they had to be responsible for themselves while still children they had miserable horrible lives and died early. I think you watched one too many Star Trek original series episodes.

If you want to do something good for the kids then let them participate in the parties. They don't have to be of voting age to participate in an election as a volunteer or to participate in the youth section (most parties have one) or to speak out on policy etc.

The biggest problem we have today is that the world is run by those who show up and most people don't show up. Teach them to show up, and to study the issues.

Of course - if they actually learn to think for themselves there's a good chance they'll turn out conservative :)

Fear and uncertainty about the future is something Adriana Silva, 18, also experiences amid climate change — a fact that adults around her do not always acknowledge, she says.

"Some relatives don't really believe in climate change, saying that it's not real, it's a hoax and everything," Silva said. "I for one believe in it. It's quite real. We're seeing it first-hand every day."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/climate-anxiety-wildfires-teens-1.6944352

It must be worrying to know how deep and thick the ignorance is, much of it willful, that's associated with inaction.

The old joke about grandpa dying peacefully in his sleep at the wheel of his car with his passengers screaming as he drives over a cliff comes to mind. But it's really not that

funny.

It must be worrying to know how deep and thick the ignorance is, much of it willful, that's associated with inaction.

Why, because some kid lies about what her family believes to cbc because that's what they want to hear? 

The old joke about grandpa dying peacefully in his sleep at the wheel of his car with his passengers screaming as he drives over a cliff comes to mind. But it's really not that

Grandad would be a liberal in this case.  The liberal supporters for over 30 years have been electing 'liberal' gov'ts based on cliamte change and yet those gov'ts haven't done a single thing despite promises - but their supporters keep voting them in and not punishing them for it anyway.

So who's the people asleep at the wheel?

Fear and uncertainty about the future is something Adriana Silva, 18, also experiences amid climate change — a fact that adults around her do not always acknowledge, she says.

"Some relatives don't really believe in climate change, saying that it's not real, it's a hoax and everything," Silva said. "I for one believe in it. It's quite real. We're seeing it first-hand every day."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/climate-anxiety-wildfires-teens-1.6944352

funny.

Forrest fires are now caused by climate change, whats next, ... this is more media bullshit...It is articles like this that are causing anxiety levels to rise...we have had forest fires since man learned about fire and lightening strikes.... but lets blame everything on climate change...my car won't start, climate change, i get to much sex , climate change, climate change , climate change...lets scream it all together...

3/4 of this years fire are caused by humans being careless or arson... i guess it is climate change that has taken control of these losers minds drove them out in the middle of the woods to play with matches....

Climate change is really... but this is not an example of it...this is about peoples behaviors, and mother nature doing her thing...

• Like 1

Just now, Army Guy said:

Forrest fires are now caused by climate change, whats next, ... this is more media bullshit...It is articles like this that are causing anxiety levels to rise...we have had forest fires since man learned about fire and lightening strikes.... but lets blame everything on climate change...my car won't start, climate change, i get to much sex , climate change, climate change , climate change...lets scream it all together...

3/4 of this years fire are caused by humans being careless or arson... i guess it is climate change that has taken control of these losers minds drove them out in the middle of the woods to play with matches....

Climate change is really... but this is not an example of it...this is about peoples behaviors, and mother nature doing her thing...

You really don't understand the difference between conditions facilitating forest fires, and how a forest fire starts?

If every single forest fire in Canada this year were started by the same arsonist, it would not make the blindest bit of difference to the connection with climate change.

13 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You really don't understand the difference between conditions facilitating forest fires, and how a forest fire starts?

If every single forest fire in Canada this year were started by the same arsonist, it would not make the blindest bit of difference to the connection with climate change.

Give me a break, for years the forest service has been telling Canadians that the conditions on the ground have an over abundance of fuel and recommended control burns of clean up operations...and we did nothing, so here we are screaming climate change for the roof tops...when really it is a bunch of retards lighting these fires for either enjoyment or to yell climate change... 

We have had dry, draught conditions in the past, going back as long as we have been keeping records, out east we have had rain every second or third day, and we had one of the worst fires in our history... how does one draw a line to climate change....when they caught the rednecks that lite the thing.... we know what the conditions are, we did not take any action and now, we are looking at something to point a finger at...climate change keeps coming up...kind of like piling up old oily rags in front of an electrical outlet then blaming the fire on climate change , the oily rags did not play a role in the fire at all...

Edited by Army Guy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Give me a break, for years the forest service has been telling Canadians that the conditions on the ground have an over abundance of fuel and recommended control burns of clean up operations...and we did nothing, so here we are screaming climate change for the roof tops...when really it is a bunch of retards lighting these fires for either enjoyment or to yell climate change... 

We have had dry, draught conditions in the past, going back as long as we have been keeping records, out east we have had rain every second or third day, and we had one of the worst fires in our history... how does one draw a line to climate change....when they caught the rednecks that lite the thing.... we know what the conditions are, we did not take any action and now, we are looking at something to point a finger at...climate change keeps coming up...kind of like piling up old oily rags in front of an electrical outlet then blaming the fire on climate change , the oily rags did not play a role in the fire at all...

So what?  Climate change doesn't care about forest management either. 

Climate change doesn't care about your oily rags, or whether some id!ot with a cigarette/campfire/ATV didn't do the right thing, or whether or not various jurisdictions have implemented various forest management practices. 

It's always been recognised that a single event can not ever legitimately be "blamed" on climate change.  (Unlike those id!ots that point at an early snowfall as proof it doesn't exist)  Only that climate change makes more extreme events more likely.

A lack of action on our part, (go figure) doesn't change anything. 

43 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Forrest fires are now caused by climate change,

No they're not. Lol.

52 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

climate change, climate change , climate change...lets scream it all together...

Why, you never paid any attention before. And NOW it causes conservatives to melt down.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Why, because some kid lies about what her family believes to cbc because that's what they want to hear? 

You cry liar, not to mention Liberal, exactly like the boy who cried wolf, all the time, as if it mattered and to no effect.

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You cry liar,

Which apperently you can't dispute - so we're in agreement :) 

not to mention Liberal,

Didn't even mention the liberals but ok, sure - if the voices in your head say so

exactly like the boy who cried wolf, all the time, as if it mattered and to no effect.

You mean like the boy who cried trump? :) 

It would seem that the question i asked upset you - is that because you agree she's lying to appeal to the cbc?

5 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

It would seem that the question i asked upset you - is that because you agree she's lying to appeal to the cbc?

It didn't upset me in the least, I know the only reason you asked the question was to change the topic. That's all that matters to you.

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I must agree, this is not due to global warming. More like just bad luck with forestfires, bad management and some arson.

People went camping in droves after covid. Saw some data showing that humans were the number one cause, lightning was number two. Either way, more people more fires.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

It didn't upset me in the least,

Pretty obvious it did.  And if that was my only reason, and you knew it, then why did you go along with it?

That's a pretty bizarre flex. Is that like some sort of super power, to be smart AND dumb at the same time?

"HA! I"m smart enough to see through you're trickery but still stupid enough to fall for it! I'm 'Almost Clever Guy!!!"   (save us almost clever guy! aaaaaaah!)  Do we need to get you a cape?

Anyway - i wasn't the one who changed the subject. You were the one who posted the article.  :) Got any more tricks?

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2023 at 6:25 PM, bcsapper said:

Climate change doesn't care about your oily rags, or whether some id!ot with a cigarette/campfire/ATV didn't do the right thing, or whether or not various jurisdictions have implemented various forest management practices. 

It's always been recognised that a single event can not ever legitimately be "blamed" on climate change.  (Unlike those id!ots that point at an early snowfall as proof it doesn't exist)  Only that climate change makes more extreme events more likely.

A lack of action on our part, (go figure) doesn't change anything. 

What is it your trying to say BC, climate change can not be controlled or influenced by humans? that nothing we do will mitigate the effects of climate change?...actions like control burns, and proper forest management, or keeping idi!ts out of the tree line when it has been hot and dry...sounds like common sense ideas to me...but what would the media and governments do if only 200 fires were caused by mother nature herself...

This is not a single event, Alberta has had over 700 wild fires, more than 500 have been started by idi!ts... thats not a single event thats hundreds of idiIts doing their stupid sh*t.... and yet the media and government has clearly used them to highlight climate change...

Clearly the lack of human action has brought us to this point, but before we start yelling the sky is fallen every time something happens, maybe we should adapt to these situations and take some precautions...or we could just sit here raise the carbon taxes so high cause that seems to be working..

On 8/23/2023 at 6:38 PM, eyeball said:

No they're not. Lol.

Why, you never paid any attention before. And NOW it causes conservatives to melt down.?

Your barking up the wrong tree eyeball, my house is completely set up with solar, that produces more electricity than i need.. it has a large heat pump to heat and cool my home,  I've my home inspected for heat leakage and additional installation blown in, so it's not about me not paying attention...Just you jumping to conclusions AGAIN...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

my house is completely set up with solar, that produces more electricity than i need.. it has a large heat pump to heat and cool my home,  I've my home inspected for heat leakage and additional installation blown in,

Do you eat roots and berries and live off the land as well?

Just wonderin'

;)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Do you eat roots and berries and live off the land as well?

Just wonderin'

;)

No the seeds/ bark were clogging up my colon....so we had to start supplementing all of that with a few leftist, of course you have to get over the fact they are for the most part full of sh*t...roasted over a good fire they can be very tasty, once you get rid of all the sh*t  LOL .

to catch them just start up a chain saw next to their trees they will come over in droves... pick the largest one, and start chasing them, don't worry they don't get far, normally die of a heart attack first....raise the chain saw above your head, and rev it , they normally just die on the spot...or freeze long enough to tie them up then drag them over to the fire pit...LOL

Edited by Army Guy
  • Haha 2

On 8/23/2023 at 5:25 PM, bcsapper said:

Oh dear. What is it like Terminator to you, or what? "It can't be bargained with... it can't be reasoned with, doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, EVER!"

Get

Help

20 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Your barking up the wrong tree eyeball, my house is completely set up with solar, that produces more electricity than i need.. it has a large heat pump to heat and cool my home,  I've my home inspected for heat leakage and additional installation blown in, so it's not about me not paying attention...Just you jumping to conclusions AGAIN...

C'mon, are you really surprised given the short shrift you usually give the topic?

Hmmm, I bet your wife and kids put you up to it. You get your frustration over it belly aching about climate change in here.

I've insulated, put in a lower emission wood stove. But yeah you put me to shame for sure. I'm holding out for a Mr Fusion to power the house one day.

Just now, eyeball said:

C'mon, are you really surprised given the short shrift you usually give the topic?

Hmmm, I bet your wife and kids put you up to it. You get your frustration over it belly aching about climate change in here.

I've insulated, put in a lower emission wood stove. But yeah you put me to shame for sure. I'm holding out for a Mr Fusion to power the house one day.

I know a lot of people on both sides of the political spectrum that have taken some action, more to save on money more than save the planet...

We both have said the same stuff about Justins climate change plan, everyone knows it is full of shit, and does nothing...well except Liberal voters , but they are a special lot...funney how my remarks are belly aching and yours is going to save the planet...My point is before you start slamming the right for taking no action and just belly aching, you should get on the same page...but that would not be any fun right...