The election prospects

myata

12 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Wasn't local autonomy the reason for the depletion of the cod stock??

John Crosby famously said it wasn't him who took the fish from the water but nonetheless someone in Ottawa let it happen.  

And the closure of many local salmon hatcheries on  the West Coast?

It was the complete opposite.  Our community sent a big delegation to lobby Ottawa to have a hatchery built in our harbour given it had a perfect spot for one and we were all to aware of the looming crisis in abundance that was ahead of us.  It soon produced a couple million fish, boats were fishing for weeks and plants were humming for months. But DFO shut it down - all it did was encourage other communities to look at building hatcheries near them, complicate the allocation of fish and create new fisheries DFO didn't really have their hearts on developing. I recall the meeting where they said it was too much like playing God. 

A few years later they brought in fish farms and Atlantic salmon smolts from Norway.  Flew them right across the Arctic. Nothing God-like of course just in big airplanes.

Now it's been proven (like we always knew it would) that farming needs to be done in in big closed tanks instead of open net-pens to prevent wild native stocks from being impacted by disease and lice and the environment from concentrated fish waste, and drugs. They've been given until 2025 to switch to closed pens, my guess is they'll move to some country that will let them continue doing what they want.   

Central control is not the enemy and the country is 4700 miles from coast to coast.

Ottawa might as well be a million miles from either coast for all the good having it in central control has done.

9 hours ago, myata said:

It's just a fact of this life, yes a smart three-year old won't choose between a sucky porridge and a smelly soup. They could say no, don't want either. An average five year old will do just that, for sure. And you're stuck picking between less sucky of the only two options that someone gives you, for perpetuity and no change allowed. Again for the lesser of the two oh suck but have to what can one do. So how smart does that make you, for the grown up folk? See it's only the objective reality of it nothing personal. Just maybe not that you see in that funny mirror.

Oh mytha, if you are trying to insult....once again, you FAIL    LOL

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

John Crosby famously said it wasn't him who took the fish from the water but nonetheless someone in Ottawa let it happen.  

It was the complete opposite.  Our community sent a big delegation to lobby Ottawa to have a hatchery built in our harbour given it had a perfect spot for one and we were all to aware of the looming crisis in abundance that was ahead of us.  It soon produced a couple million fish, boats were fishing for weeks and plants were humming for months. But DFO shut it down - all it did was encourage other communities to look at building hatcheries near them, complicate the allocation of fish and create new fisheries DFO didn't really have their hearts on developing. I recall the meeting where they said it was too much like playing God. 

A few years later they brought in fish farms and Atlantic salmon smolts from Norway.  Flew them right across the Arctic. Nothing God-like of course just in big airplanes.

Now it's been proven (like we always knew it would) that farming needs to be done in in big closed tanks instead of open net-pens to prevent wild native stocks from being impacted by disease and lice and the environment from concentrated fish waste, and drugs. They've been given until 2025 to switch to closed pens, my guess is they'll move to some country that will let them continue doing what they want.   

Ottawa might as well be a million miles from either coast for all the good having it in central control has done.

Somepne let it happen??? Seems to me it was the fishermen that were upset and fished anyway.

I lived in BC, on Vancouver Island when the hatcheries started to close. It was a provincial government funding, or lack of funding, that was the cause.

As for fish farming, someone had the money to do that and it was not the governments. For profit companies did though.

To blame feds for low fish is incorrect "Threats like climate change, habitat degradation, pollution, land and water use, acute events like toxic spills and landslides, and fishing pressures have left many Pacific salmon populations at historically low levels."

Where headquarters is makes no difference. DND headquarters is in Ottawa too and they have people all over the world. Corporate headquarters amdy be on a different continent yet it still functions. You have no argument with the nonsense that DFO in Ottawa is not efficient.

Sometimes you, as a fisherman, have to take responsibility for your action. You whine when there is issues and what government to do something and then you whine when government does as you ask LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

See it's only the objective reality of it nothing personal.

You're given the choice of a two-year old. You grumble and whine, like a two-year old and still eat it, what you're given on a plate, time after time. Yeah let's have this stinky soup looks slightly better than the other one, gone rotten through and over. How is it not an objective, factual picture? Nope, nothing personal.

Edited by myata

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

I lived in BC, on Vancouver Island when the hatcheries started to close. It was a provincial government funding, or lack of funding, that was the cause

This makes it clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm talking about ocean fisheries DFO are responsible for not freshwater fisheries the province is responsible for. And freshwater facilities are doing just fine.

Anyway, you epitomize why DFO is able to mismanage things with near impunity, Canadians don't have a clue.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

This makes it clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm talking about ocean fisheries DFO are responsible for not freshwater fisheries the province is responsible for. And freshwater facilities are doing just fine.

Anyway, you epitomize why DFO is able to mismanage things with near impunity, Canadians don't have a clue.

ummm... you realize he's talking about salmon hatcheries right?  Not freshwater hatcheries?

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

He's talking about provincial hatcheries not federal.

3 salmon hatcheries on Vancouver Island were provincially managed. Even Nova Scotia manages salmon hatcheries.

You are just a disgruntled little fisherman that is losing to the better fishermen.

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

3 salmon hatcheries on Vancouver Island were provincially managed. Even Nova Scotia manages salmon hatcheries.

If so it's only because Ottawa gave the province permission. Ottawa is who has authority over BC's marine fisheries.

I won't be surprised if what you're talking about are steelhead hatcheries, a recreational species, also considered a trout, that is not the target of a commercial marine fishery.

Recall were talking about the Dept of Fisheries and Oceans. 

19 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

You are just a disgruntled little fisherman that is losing to the better fishermen.

The 'better' lobbyists is more like it.

Edited by eyeball

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

If so it's only because Ottawa gave the province permission. Ottawa is who has authority over BC's marine fisheries.

I won't be surprised if what you're talking about are steelhead hatcheries, a recreational species, also considered a trout, that is not the target of a commercial marine fishery.

Recall were talking about the Dept of Fisheries and Oceans. 

The 'better' lobbyists is more like it.

Oh stop, before you start to smell like old fish LOL

No actually, we were talking about fishermen that had local autonomy but screwed it up so bad the feds had to step in. seems you were or are one of them and now all you can do is whine about how they stopped you. LOL

Go bait some hooks. I am done trolling with you LOL

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

No actually, we were talking about fishermen that had local autonomy but screwed it up so bad the feds had to step in.

Then you must be taking about fishermen in a locale outside of any authority.

Who, when and where exactly and what species?

Edited by eyeball

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Then you must be taking about fishermen in a locale outside of any authority.

Who, when and where exactly and what species?

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Said the fish who just shot himself in his own barrel.

yup...LOL

Like I say in the card game. with my grand kids.....Go Fish. :)

22 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

I don't think anyone wants 4 more years of Justin but, how badly do they want 4 years of PP?

PP's pubilc image shaping machine has a lot of work to and the conservative party leadership have a lot of leadership molding to do.

And then they have to come up with workable, believable policies and solutions.

Well Justin still has support from a good portion of the population supporting him...he is betting on winning, anything can happen in an election....looking back on his track record or what he has accomplished in those 8 years, and all his voters should be concerned...But they are nose blind he is the best thing since play dough.

as for PP what is so scary about this guy, what has he done that has caused second guessing...So much so your willing to have 4 more years of Justin....

Now if your that person that is not voting PP becasue your scared... How in the blue balls can PP do any worse...he can't...not even on his worse day...

What i meant about baffling me, is we have already had 8 plus years of Justin, all of which pretty much tasted like a shit sandwich....are they expecting the sandwich to change flavors...The entire liberal government past performance is based on lies and deceit...The left vote seems to love shit sandwiches...the are happy being lied to, deceived, they also love nothing getting done on any front...and finally they love getting taxed, they seem to have more disposable income than the rest of us..., they are final one of the most gullible Canadians there is...on the same level as trump voters...to believe in a guy that out right lies to Canadians and the inter national community with out any regards to the consequences.

Anyone voting for the left really has to have a gut check and ask themselves, what is in it for them, becasue there is not much in it for the nation, nothing is going to get done, and all the files that do need to be fixed are going to remain broken for atleast 4 more years....can they wait...  

11 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Well Justin still has support from a good portion of the population supporting him...he is betting on winning, anything can happen in an election....looking back on his track record or what he has accomplished in those 8 years, and all his voters should be concerned...But they are nose blind he is the best thing since play dough.

as for PP what is so scary about this guy, what has he done that has caused second guessing...So much so your willing to have 4 more years of Justin....

Now if your that person that is not voting PP becasue your scared... How in the blue balls can PP do any worse...he can't...not even on his worse day...

What i meant about baffling me, is we have already had 8 plus years of Justin, all of which pretty much tasted like a shit sandwich....are they expecting the sandwich to change flavors...The entire liberal government past performance is based on lies and deceit...The left vote seems to love shit sandwiches...the are happy being lied to, deceived, they also love nothing getting done on any front...and finally they love getting taxed, they seem to have more disposable income than the rest of us..., they are final one of the most gullible Canadians there is...on the same level as trump voters...to believe in a guy that out right lies to Canadians and the inter national community with out any regards to the consequences.

Anyone voting for the left really has to have a gut check and ask themselves, what is in it for them, becasue there is not much in it for the nation, nothing is going to get done, and all the files that do need to be fixed are going to remain broken for atleast 4 more years....can they wait...  

That is the thing, PP has done nothing for me to dislike him but, more importantly, he has done nothing to get me onside with him. I don't want a hero, but I also don't want a zero.

I have not made up my  mind who I am voting for, it is still a long way off and hopefully PP can convince me he is worth the vote. His recent commercial makes him look so much like Justin, that turns me off.

Yeah, we have had 8 years of Justin but that seems to be the Canadian way. We seem to keep PM's for about 10 years and then they spoil, so we change. :)  Should be a limit on how long they can sit on the throne.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eyeball said:

What unauthorized fishery in Canada were/are you babbling about?

I looked back and never mentioned unauthorized fishing. Feeling guilty?

What I said is that you east coast fishermen caused your own problems with over fishing. Then you whined and the government closed you down to allow replenishment of the stock and you continue to whine, as you are doing. Looking for someone to blame and it was always you.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

I have not made up my  mind who I am voting for, it is still a long way off and hopefully PP can convince me he is worth the vote. His recent commercial makes him look so much like Justin, that turns me off.

Except this is exactly how the system works, ohoh. The eternal Canadian conundrum. Don't like either but have to eat, no choice.

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Pierre Poilievre has done nothing for me to dislike him but, more importantly, he has done nothing to get me onside with him. I don't want a hero, but I also don't want a zero.

I have not made up my  mind who I am voting for, it is still a long way off and hopefully PP can convince me he is worth the vote. 

Justin Trudeau truly is the zero . . . what are the chances of electing another zero to follow?  The kid delivering your newspaper, or the gal handing you your coffee at the Timmy's drive through has no less qualifications to run this country than Justin Trudeau.  At present, we're governed by an image. An image that citizens are weary of . . .

24 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Justin Trudeau truly is the zero . . . what are the chances of electing another zero to follow?  The kid delivering your newspaper, or the gal handing you your coffee at the Timmy's drive through has no less qualifications to run this country than Justin Trudeau.  At present, we're governed by an image. An image that citizens are weary of . . .

The chances of electing another zero are pretty even.

Trudeau or Scheerr??

Trudeau or O'Foole??

Trudeau or PP??

Trudeau or Trudeau??

What makes you think PP is not an "image" too?? His advertisements are re-making an image for him :)

My opinion is that when Harper left, the conservatives should have kept Rona Ambrose. She would have wiped the floor with Justin.

Edited by ExFlyer

13 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

At present, we're governed by an image. An image that citizens are weary of . . .

OK count your options. A normal democratic, accountable and transparent parliamentary system, big no. A great, wise, honest, hardworking, smart, omniscient and omnipotent King? Or two cliques of tired and entitled bureaucrats chasing each other in an eternal show at the trough? Or a bunch of pretty posters? Who can rule the country, make your choice folks! An election is coming.

6 minutes ago, myata said:

OK count your options. A normal democratic, accountable and transparent parliamentary system, big no. A great, wise, honest, hardworking, smart, omniscient and omnipotent King? Or two cliques of tired and entitled bureaucrats chasing each other in an eternal show at the trough? Or a bunch of pretty posters? Who can rule the country, make your choice folks! An election is coming.

I choose the King.

Mr. Poilievre's warm and fuzzy ad campaign is effective until he opens his mouth to reporters. He blames the government for inflation yet blames the government for high interest rates. He blames the government for long wait times for government services, yet wants to cut the taxes needed to reduce the wait times. It costs just under 1 trillion dollars to run the government of Canada and even with that, healthcare, education and defence are underfunded.

In one encounter with reporters, Mr. Poilievre proved himself to be a liar. Every time he speaks he contradicts himself and insults the intelligence of voters. He has accomplished what I thought was impossible. He makes Prime Minister Trudeau look good.

Mr. Poilievre will win the next election. That is a given. But how on earth is he going to justify all of the back tracking he will have to do once he is in office. He will have to do pretty much exactly what the grits are doing and explain that to the voters who voted CPC. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

He blames the government for inflation yet blames the government for high interest rates.

They are the same thing.  Why do we have high interest rates? To fight inflation.  Why do we have inflation? Mostly due to the gov'ts policies.

Why WOULDN"T you blame the gov't for both?

He blames the government for long wait times for government services, yet wants to cut the taxes needed to reduce the wait times.

The opposite is true. We hare HEAVILY taxed now, if taxes was all it took we'd have the best service ever.  What he wants to do is cut spending on USELESS programs and focus our efforts on core services to make them better. Less "arrivecan" apps, more border guards to process people. And that IS the correct answer.

It costs just under 1 trillion dollars to run the government of Canada and even with that, healthcare, education and defence are underfunded.

ANd it should cost less and we should be able to fund our programs.  But we don't - because people like you choose trudeau who is corrupt and wasteful because that's what your echo chamber tells you to do.

Learn to think for yourself, man.

27 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

yet wants to cut the taxes needed to reduce the wait times.

The first wrong connection: in a bureaucratic system more money does not mean better services. Possibly, the other way around (Romanow commission).

30 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

It costs just under 1 trillion dollars to run the government of Canada

ditto

30 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

that, healthcare, education and defence are underfunded

and not even in the mandate!

31 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Every time he speaks he contradicts himself and insults the intelligence of voters. He has accomplished what I thought was impossible. He makes Prime Minister Trudeau look good.

That's in the rules of the game though: can only pick between sucky options, because, plain logic: why should I suck less than my twin buddy, if the two of us in the game for like, ever! They will eat it because they have to, no other options. Like, what's the incentive? OK maybe a tiniest of bits... will try. Nothing too hard or challenging, why?