Toxic Charity

3 minutes ago, NYLefty said:

You don't get unemployment when applying for SSDI. I received private ins thru my union for several months then retired. 6 months later my reg SS was switched into SSDI, increasing my monthly benefits by 750 dollars for life and I received a healthy retro check from the gov because you get paid from the time of disability onset. Luckily I belonged to a strong NY union that covered my time out of work. Whoooooops....

So you had insurance coverage which covered you in the meantime :) Definite whooooops :)

And you do get short term disability from ei while you're applying for a disability - at least these days.  SO triple whooops  :)

17 minutes ago, NYLefty said:

Go ahead and apply for mental illness and let me know how you do ?

I had a friend who had an IQ well over 170, but unparalleled laziness.

He researched every single Canadian grant applicable to him, as well as the requisites. 

He then devised a game plan to get as many as possible. 

He hasn't worked in well over a decade, am sure still plays video games all day.

More importantly, he gets monthly welfare cheques, got all his LED lights paid for as well as his central air conditioning at home. 

If the government offers it, he's already claimed it, milked it and bragged about it. 

Depression is hard to see. There are legal ways to pass the sniff test. Same with back injuries. Two common areas.

Not sure that we can unring the bell on social assistance programs like unemployment, social security, disability, food stamps, section 8 housing, etc. In a perfect world, we would do away with them and the society involved would deal with the growing pains and/or negative consequences. However, that is not going to happen. Some of it is the politicians who care more about re-election and being revered as heroes/saviors too much to ever vote for something that would destroy their re-election chances. 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:10 PM, CdnFox said:

How to solve world hunger.

Seemed appropriate :)

Hmmm so immigrate to where the food is...what about the borders where angry people with their guns out will be telling them to go back where they came from?

I wonder how Sam Kinison would have figured that out?

23 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Hmmm so immigrate to where the food is...what about the borders where angry people with their guns out will be telling them to go back where they came from?

If they wait till then it's too late.

23 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I wonder how Sam Kinison would have figured that out?

Condoms. Stop having kids :)

Or you could eat the kids i suppose, if they're up for a modest proposal :)

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:44 PM, Perspektiv said:

"Giving to those in need what they can be gaining of their own initiative may well be the kindest way to destroy people" Robert D. Lupton

Some experts believe the United States is currently experiencing a toxic charity crisis.

I.E The instinct to give, creating dependency and entitlement, vs develop and allowing the basic human dignity of being able to get oneself out and back onto their feet.

You look at places like some countries in Europe,  where some have incredibly low homelessness rates, you see a consistency. I.E affordable housing, strong emphasis on living wages, and heavy investment into critical things such as education, health, etc.

Agree, disagree?

Are you suggesting that the US government should adopt the social policies of Western European governments?