Judge gives man one year in jail for contempt of court

It was reported on the news that around half of violent repeat offenders in B.C., that prosecutors ask to be not released, are in fact released on bail.  This is appalling.  The responsibility for this rests almost entirely with the Federal government, that is, the Liberal government.  All police chiefs in Canada are shocked as are most reasonable citizens.  Yet this is what is going on.

Edited by blackbird

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

It was reported on the news that around half of violent repeat offenders in B.C., that prosecutors ask to be not released, are in fact released on bail.  This is appalling.  The responsibility for this rests almost entirely with the Federal government, that is, the Liberal government.  All police chiefs in Canada are shocked as are most reasonable citizens.  Yet this is what is going on.

Yup.  Trudeau's new laws are directly responsible for this and predictably the results are showing.

And once again he goes on tv as people are dying and poilce and provinces are screaming for action and promises to do something.... someday. Honest. When we get around to it.  At the appropriate juncture. In the fullness of time.

He throws around the usual bull - "have to fine tune"  "more work to be done" "Canadians want us to get it right". etc.  But nothing's happening, no changes have been proposed,

18 hours ago, suds said:

But there must be some better way of dealing with this  then allowing it to go on for years and finally using this Hardy character as a person to be made an example of.

People do need to understand there are real consequences to consuming misinformation.  Take the thousands of deaths and waste of public health resources attributed to COVID anti-vaccine misinformation fur example.

Finally after so many years we're thankfully starting to see examples of people who refuse to take responsibility for the misinformation they produce face consequences like Alex Jones and Fox News.

On 4/25/2023 at 4:50 PM, CdnFox said:

No no - let us be clear, those revolutions were all criminal. Sedition SHOULD be seen as criminal. Sometimes things get to the point where you have no choice but to commit a crime, which is the idea behind the Canadian tradition of 'defense of necessity'  (i don't know if that's an American thing). It may be a crhime we now all agree was necessary but it was a crime.

Locke can imagine sedition and insurrection sometimes as a right and sometimes as an obligation depending on the preconditions. You see them as crimes, and are absolute in your beliefs. That seems to be where we part ways, but there are other philosophers who would agree with your point of view. Tyranny however, is more likely to flourish in societies where government or tyrants have no fear of the people.

Edited by suds

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

People do need to understand there are real consequences to consuming misinformation.  Take the thousands of deaths and waste of public health resources attributed to COVID anti-vaccine misinformation fur example.

Finally after so many years we're thankfully starting to see examples of people who refuse to take responsibility for the misinformation they produce face consequences like Alex Jones and Fox News.

Well that's what this place is for, right? To cut through all the lies and bullshit. And we can't do that if some facts are censored. I hate to tell you this but mainstream media needs Fox as much as Republicans need Democrats, and vice versa. In a two party system when the pendulum starts swinging too far one way, the other party has to swing it back. Or else you end up with the crazies in both parties running things. The same goes for media.

1 hour ago, suds said:

Well that's what this place is for, right? To cut through all the lies and bullshit. And we can't do that if some facts are censored. I hate to tell you this but mainstream media needs Fox as much as Republicans need Democrats, and vice versa. In a two party system when the pendulum starts swinging too far one way, the other party has to swing it back. Or else you end up with the crazies in both parties running things. The same goes for media.

I'm not interested in censorship, simply accounting for responsibility. 

6 hours ago, suds said:

Tyranny however, is more likely to flourish in societies where government or tyrants have no fear of the people.

Let the government decide what "sedition" is and happy hand in hand dance honorable Dr Charlie Smith court will rubberstamp it. Interesting, how it would go isn't it? Let's try it again and maybe we'll find something new there!

18 hours ago, CdnFox said:

WHo?? Get WHAT repeatedly wrong? How did they get it wrong?

Right, play it dumb, the default strategy that never fails...  wait will it work with the problems and challenges of this century though... nah nothing to worry can always try. With the bottomless bucket of (public) dough, just can't go wrong whatever you do.

3 hours ago, myata said:

Right, play it dumb, the default strategy that never fails...  wait will it work with the problems and challenges of this century though... nah nothing to worry can always try. With the bottomless bucket of (public) dough, just can't go wrong whatever you do.

Dude - you're not playing, you ARE dumb.

Learn english and come back and talk to us freak.

54 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yes, you still make zero sense.

No factually, it's you who first had zero meaningful responses to cited facts and logical arguments; then played dumb and finally resorted to ad hominem attack. All the hallmarks of a certified and patented argument loser. Kudos "kiddo". Still zero.

26 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Yes, one that allows the flow of conversation without sabotaging it.

Doesn't sound like a troll.

I'll make this simple for you, and you can take it or leave it.  I don't mind different opinions at all. Some are quite interesting. But - i have limited patience for stupid, and none at all for a dolt who cannot even articulate his position. Someone who comes here and says "THey screw up 100 percent" without saying who "they" are - and refuses to say even when asked - and acts like that consistently ....  that asswipe deserves zero respect. It's insulting. They tend to get insulted back.

I also don't have much patience for people who constantly lie or the like. They don't get a lot of respect either.

Thats the way it is.  Now if that upsets you a LOT, if you're PRO liars and that kind of person, then the easiest thing to do is simply not read my posts.  If you DO read my posts then you have to live with that when you see me responding to a jerkwad.

I get along just fine with people who make reasoned arguments even if i disagree. But liars and dolts who play the pronoun game (It's here! what is? "It!!!") are going to get talked to in a tone they don't like.

3 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

I am telling you right now, you are a bully manipulator

then don't read what i  write.

3 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

. What else do you want to talk about? are you a lost addictive soul like me or someone pays you to push such bullying tactics here?

Sigh.  Let me guess.  Day zero on the wagon again.

Whatever kid.

2 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Alright, well, at least you did not talk about sexual abuse, oh, hammered, amazing. My friend, I paid my taxes in this country every year, I go and vote, and during the pandemic I lost my bearing, as to why I am engaging with elements like you. 

Right. Right  That makes sense.

I' m going to let you get a good nights sleep and ignore this.