Canada’s Population Grows by Over 1 Million for First Time - fastest among advanced economies

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-22/canada-s-population-grows-by-more-than-1-million-for-first-time?leadSource=reddit_wall

Canada’s Population Grows by Over 1 Million for First Time

• Annual expansion of 2.7% is fastest among advanced economies
  • Rush of newcomers strains housing market, health-care system

Canada’s population grew 2.7% in 2022, the fastest expansion among advanced economies and on par with many African nations.

The country added a record 1,050,110 people over a one-year period to Jan. 1, bringing the total population to 39,566,248, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday in Ottawa. International migration accounted for 95.9% of the growth — a testament to Canada’s decision to counter the economic drag of an aging populace by throwing its doors open to newcomers. 

It marks the first time the northern nation grew by more than a million people in a year, while its industrial peers try different ways to address demographic challenges, including raising the retirement age. If this population growth rate is sustained, the statistics agency said Canada would double in size in about 26 years. 

Now -  i'm all for immigration but I think you can't have more immigration than you have infrastructure to absorb them. You have to have enough homes and schools and medical services etc.

It seems like we're bringing in WAY too many people for our current infrastructure expansion. We're building less homes per year than we normally do - we all know our medical systems are starved for cash and the feds aren't doing anything to help. There's no way we can absorb THIS many unless we radically increase infrastructure production.

I fear there will be a backlash over this as fights for resources mount.

40 minutes ago, Contrarian said:
  • It's important to have an open and honest discussion about the challenges and benefits of immigration and work towards finding practical solutions that can benefit everyone in the community.  
  • These are some questions that in a world of polarization, are very hard to discuss, I think anyways. 

These are the most salient points you have made.

Part of the problem, in Canada, is the way we MANAGE which is: we don't.  For subways and hospitals and schools we don't have a continuous plan of improvement, a roadmap, and all the trappings of project management and public engagement.

We don't.  And we have the most aggressive population growth strategy in the world.  We should ask ourselves about this.

We should ask ourselves why our biggest city has to go to a council of fractious know-nothings when they need to expand our TRANSPORTATION system.  Thankfully, John Tory did a lot for changing this mindset but with him gone who knows.

Canada is good at getting along, good at being polite and compliant to what the King wants, and very very centrist.  But we don't question things enough to MANAGE, either as individuals or as a public.  Maybe the immigrants will fix this.

------

I'm going to draw gasps of incredulity from the mouth breathers on here but we can learn from our native cultures also - who some say gave us our model of government.  We need to institutionalize debate, fractiousness, and resolution to move past constant fighting based on identity and old tropes to actually include all people in society and stop displacing our citizens.

The best way to fix the housing crisis and healthcare crisis and climate crisis and inflation crisis is to increase the population.

These new Canadians will be homeless and not have a family doctor.  Feds don't care as long as they get the votes and the tax revenue.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I'm going to draw gasps of incredulity from the mouth breathers on here

And ridicule from everyone else for being a dolt who would use that term when trying to make a point before anyone even says anything insulting to you first. Yeash.  How do you expect anyone to take you seriously.

12 hours ago, CdnFox said:

And ridicule from everyone else for being a dolt who would use that term when trying to make a point before anyone even says anything insulting to you first. Yeash.  How do you expect anyone to take you seriously.

Yeah, as I predicted.

And you didn't even critique the idea, which is why you're a charlatan who sits comfortably stop my Ignore list.

You really should leave the forum.

11 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

I'll learn from the Lakota Sioux at Little Bighorn

The YouTube video... the signature debating tool of the incapable...

And you compliment me with the double response... did you really think about it AFTER you posted and decide to add a video? ?

There are many other forums on the web that need your input.  Go find them.

12 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

The best way to fix the housing crisis and healthcare crisis and climate crisis and inflation crisis is to increase the population.

Well, if you bring in highly skilled workers, this would actually help lower some inflationary pressures, as far as am concerned.

I interview a Canadian for a post, and ranges are 15 to 23 an hour, and am likely paying closer to the 23$.

I hire the immigrants with the identical skill level, and likely will pay them closer to the 18 to 19$, based on their lack of experience in Canada.

Part of the inflationary pressure, stems from companies being forced to overpay in order to keep staff, vs pay a competitive wage.

Restaurants, are among the highest affected.

13 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

healthcare crisis

Bring in qualified doctors. Qualified nurses. Make their equivalence tests less hoops to jump through if they qualify.

I have spoken to qualified immigrants, who had passed testing, still waiting due to backlogs, for high paying jobs.

Homelessness, is you bringing in tens of thousands of immigrants without a plan, to meet quotas vs bringing them in, and ensuring they have the tools to do well, which by default benefits your country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Are you calling restaurant workers "skilled" ?  If so I heartily agree.

Cooks, chefs, and most of these jobs are skilled, in my opinion. 

To me, any job is skilled, unless you sleep for a living.

High skill to me, is where you need heavy experience and internship to be competent.

17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

These are the most salient points you have made.

Part of the problem, in Canada, is the way we MANAGE which is: we don't.  For subways and hospitals and schools we don't have a continuous plan of improvement, a roadmap, and all the trappings of project management and public engagement.

We don't.  And we have the most aggressive population growth strategy in the world.  We should ask ourselves about this.

We should ask ourselves why our biggest city has to go to a council of fractious know-nothings when they need to expand our TRANSPORTATION system.  Thankfully, John Tory did a lot for changing this mindset but with him gone who knows.

Canada is good at getting along, good at being polite and compliant to what the King wants, and very very centrist.  But we don't question things enough to MANAGE, either as individuals or as a public.  Maybe the immigrants will fix this.

Problem is, again, the selfishness of our politicians.  They don't bother to coordinate migration plans with provinces or municipalities who are in charge of the infrastructure.  They just don't care.

Only when the problems start to affect them do they care.  Citizens are starting to get upset and point at the feds for lack of planning.

Our PM is all about appearances and lacks depth, and this philosophy has spread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

The YouTube video... the signature debating tool of the incapable...

And you compliment me with the double response... did you really think about it AFTER you posted and decide to add a video? ?

There are many other forums on the web that need your input.  Go find them.

I wasn't debating, I was agreeing with you

being such an aficionado of native culture, I thought you might enjoy the song

10 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

1.  Citizens are starting to get upset and point at the feds for lack of planning.

2. Our PM is all about appearances and lacks depth, and this philosophy has spread

1. I attribute this to Social Media, believe it or not.
2. Uh... well it's been happening since 1960 so...

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

To me, any job is skilled, unless you sleep for a living.

HEAR HEAR my friend.  I'm thinking of a restaurant manager I always thought to be bright.  He scraped together another money to train for a certificate in Java Programming at TMU and finished top of his class... now leads technical teams for a multinational tech hub.

Everybody has skills, everybody has value.

A prediction: by the time it reaches 60 million, the quality of federal services will be on the level of Mexico, with multiple simultaneously progressing crises. Don't even want to guess about the state of the healthcare. A country can be run on autopilot only for so long even as large and rich and sleep.. sorry, "peaceful" as ours. Russia knows.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah, as I predicted.

You predicted being called a dolt for acting like a dolt?  Well... congratulations i guess?

And you didn't even critique the idea, which is why you're a charlatan who sits comfortably stop my Ignore list.

You're literally responding to me. I'm clearly not on your ignore list. I'm not sure how you think ignore lists work...

And it was  your attitude and not your point i was addressing.  Only a loser starts off by basically saying "you're terrible people so i know you won't get this but.... "

You really should leave the forum.

Awwww looook - the leftie wants  to cancel me because i'm speaking truthfully.  Shocking

If you can cope with the truth, then perhaps you should leave yourself. Find a nice safe space with a puppy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Everybody has skills, everybody has value.

Best advice I have gotten from a CEO (or one of the best), was to look at someone you don't like (ideally a coworker).

Think of three things that this person does better than you. 

Humbling yourself, in the wise words of Barack Obama on leadership, in allowing yourself to be the least intelligent person in the room.

Bothers me to no avail, when I see someone talk down to retail or fast food staff not based on incompetence,  but on what they do.

Everyone should do a mandatory year working in retail and fast food. I guarantee you the world would be a better place.

If you know anyone who returns items and with no receipt, talking about: "I'm in your system, I was here last week! Let me speak to your manager", they should do 5.

5 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Our PM is all about appearances and lacks depth, and this philosophy has spread

I think when he allows tens of thousands from Syria for photo ops, I knew there were unintended consequences in the making.

IE overwhelmed counselors, not trained in dealing with children who have witnessed generations from their family he wiped off of the planet.

On top of not having a concrete plan for these people.

Its sad, as with a plan, most of these people likely would thrive. 

I think you messed up, when you see several of these people panhandling. To me thats shameful.

On 3/22/2023 at 3:58 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I'm going to draw gasps of incredulity from the mouth breathers on here but we can learn from our native cultures also - who some say gave us our model of government.  

I'm guessing you are not very much acquainted with the way native reserves are currently being run. Because overall, most of them are a shit show of nepotism, incompetence, and corruption. And if you question the chief or band council you quickly find you'll be punished.

• Like 1

Immigration at this level is not in the best interest of the country or its people. It's not even in the best interest of the immigrants. The only people who benefit are the politicians and the oligopolies who hold a hostage population by bribing government to keep competition out.

We have a labour shortage in specific industries but we are, for the most part, not getting employees with the right skill set for those industries. And even if we do it can take years once they're here before they're allowed to work in those industries (esp healthcare). A large chunk of the immigrants are simply filling low-skill, low-paying jobs and helping the retail, restaurant and hospitality industries to keep those wages low.

Meanwhile, we have a million more people lining up at emergency rooms and clinics because there are no famiy doctors available. which has not grown at all. A million more people need housing, which has grown only a little, and can't keep up.

And when the next election comes around all the parties will tell us that anyone who opposes mass immigration is a racist, a xenophobe, and a hater, and should be canceled and ostracized. 

18 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Immigration at this level is not in the best interest of the country or its people. 

I agree that we should look at lowering immigration but only because we do such a bad job at planning and integration.  Some of the issues you bring up are true but there are more benefitting from immigration than you say.  Certainly most people I know who own lots of property are old-school Canadians who are raking it in.

Opposing immigration is actually fine.

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I agree that we should look at lowering immigration but only because we do such a bad job at planning and integration.  Some of the issues you bring up are true but there are more benefitting from immigration than you say.  Certainly most people I know who own lots of property are old-school Canadians who are raking it in.

Opposing immigration is actually fine.

I am a home owner. I still don't think pushing the price of housing up to astronomical levels is good for the country.

The benefits to immigration, especially as poorly organized as ours is, are vastly overstated.