Directionless Outrage...And Boredom

In an earlier thread, I set out to find the differences between today's Liberal and Conservative minds and to figure out why this "culture war" is raging away. I think one of the major contributors to this situation is directionless outrage...and boredom.

While we...the human race...can be proud of our accomplishments, have we gone too far? Is this culture war being waged in the less affluent parts of the planet? Or is this a result of too easy a life for those fortunate enough to live within the affluent parts of the world? Do people in the poorest parts of Africa think Transgenderism is a worthy cause to fight for? Do people in "The West" even have a clue what a day in the life of a Chinese citizen is like? Do we even care?

I am not a fan of China. I'm quite sure most already know that. Why am I not a fan of China? Well...because they engage in very predatory tactics in almost everything they do. That and their refusal to cooperate with regards to The Rona. I mean...poisoning the world should be considered a "bad" thing...no? But did the Chinese do this? I doubt it actually. More I think an accident happened in a lab, and the CPC is loath to admit the mistake...they made in a lab funded by...the USA. OOPS!

I understand the pandemic would have caused mass anxiety, which does result in anger. But this "culture war" started well before The Rona. No...I think this is deeper. More ingrained by the conditions we live in, and the lack of real hardship in The West. Essentially...we've gotten so affluent that...we're bored.

In Canada there is no excuse for homelessness. Yet we have it. Why? Many of the Canadian homeless are not fit mentally. Should they be out sleeping in the streets or in tents? Shouldn't they be institutionalized for the benefit of everyone...including themselves? Of course but, they're still out there, every night and day. "But you can't just lock them all up!" is the main argument. To which I would answer..."Why not? Sure we can. Watch." "But there's nowhere to put them all. You Conservatives closed all the metal hospitals."  True...the Ontario Conservatives did close some mental hospitals. But we can re-build them and in the meantime, its not like the hospitals are full. They are not. They just don't have the staff to accommodate the people. "But its heartless. Where's your compassion?" And there's the crux of the argument. Compassion. The crutch of the affluent, as only they have the time to think about such things. This crutch of the affluent drives many of us to advocate for insane stuff.

We open our borders but won't let the new people practice their professions. We demand reparations be paid to black people and natives, for things none of us ever experienced. We let hardened criminals roam the streets with impunity. We burn down whole city blocks, fight with police, defund the police, highlight and celebrate sexual deviance, Trash our own source of energy, and so many other silly things we've done...in the name of Compassion.

I say...we have gotten so affluent that we're spoiled brats now. We have everything we could possible need and more. There's nothing to compete for anymore and we elderly have taught our own kids this. We haven't challenged them enough and now they're turned loose on a world with only one goal in mind...pleasure. My kids say it all the time. "Dad I need to find a career I enjoy." Pfft...

Our young are BORED. They have nothing real to drive for anymore, so they turn to their own feelings. They want to feel good, but don't realize that the empty hole they're trying to fill, can only be filled by self-achievement. To build a sense of self-worth with hard work and focus. Without that, they lash out in directionless outrage about really silly crap.

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Do people in the poorest parts of Africa think Transgenderism is a worthy cause to fight for?

Honestly, if you're in a poor country and starving, your only thoughts become instinctive. You're thinking food, and water.

Thinking of trans rights, is something you do in highly privileged societies.

I can assure you that pronouns will mean nothing to someone from a poor country. If you approached someone taking about: "my pronouns are xir", you would either likely get laughed at, or looked at like you're crazy.

Heck in countries like Thailand and the Philippines,  which have among the highest trans populations globally, you will never see this coming at the forefront of public grievances.

They are just allowed to coexist, unbothered.

There is no culture war, as this community doesn't try to act like they are no different than a biological counterpart. They wear their trans badges proudly.

Good luck going against God in a God fearing country.

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Compassion

I find that those who use that word the most nowadays, tend to be the most intolerant to views that differ from their own.

I don't think I will ever understand why I need to hate liberals, or me being a conservative somehow makes me subhuman.

If people traveled more and realized that this culture war is purely a western thing, born from highly privileged circles, they would hopefully realize how wasteful that it is, to live in constant anger, and that its way more productive to keep an open mind and not take things for granted.

• Like 1

I have said the same thing in not such a succinct fashion as that of the OP many times. I spent summers in a very remote corner of eastern Idaho. No public utilities, no paved roads, and very limited phone service. Compared to my hometown, Boise, it was a step back in time. I got a unique insight into how life in the modern urban life is fairly easy. There is no grand oppressor to rail against but there is still this drive to rail against something, someone. I find it pointless to be a "slacktivist". Instead of desperately finding causes to fight for or against... I focus on my kids and my immediate life.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Honestly, if you're in a poor country and starving, your only thoughts become instinctive. You're thinking food, and water.

Thinking of trans rights, is something you do in highly privileged societies.

I can assure you that pronouns will mean nothing to someone from a poor country. If you approached someone taking about: "my pronouns are xir", you would either likely get laughed at, or looked at like you're crazy.

Heck in countries like Thailand and the Philippines,  which have among the highest trans populations globally, you will never see this coming at the forefront of public grievances.

They are just allowed to coexist, unbothered.

There is no culture war, as this community doesn't try to act like they are no different than a biological counterpart. They wear their trans badges proudly.

Good luck going against God in a God fearing country.

I find that those who use that word the most nowadays, tend to be the most intolerant to views that differ from their own.

I don't think I will ever understand why I need to hate liberals, or me being a conservative somehow makes me subhuman.

If people traveled more and realized that this culture war is purely a western thing, born from highly privileged circles, they would hopefully realize how wasteful that it is, to live in constant anger, and that its way more productive to keep an open mind and not take things for granted.

Good points.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, Nationalist said:

In an earlier thread, I set out to find the differences between today's Liberal and Conservative minds and to figure out why this "culture war" is raging away. I think one of the major contributors to this situation is directionless outrage...and boredom.

While we...the human race...can be proud of our accomplishments, have we gone too far? Is this culture war being waged in the less affluent parts of the planet? Or is this a result of too easy a life for those fortunate enough to live within the affluent parts of the world? Do people in the poorest parts of Africa think Transgenderism is a worthy cause to fight for? Do people in "The West" even have a clue what a day in the life of a Chinese citizen is like? Do we even care?

I am not a fan of China. I'm quite sure most already know that. Why am I not a fan of China? Well...because they engage in very predatory tactics in almost everything they do. That and their refusal to cooperate with regards to The Rona. I mean...poisoning the world should be considered a "bad" thing...no? But did the Chinese do this? I doubt it actually. More I think an accident happened in a lab, and the CPC is loath to admit the mistake...they made in a lab funded by...the USA. OOPS!

I understand the pandemic would have caused mass anxiety, which does result in anger. But this "culture war" started well before The Rona. No...I think this is deeper. More ingrained by the conditions we live in, and the lack of real hardship in The West. Essentially...we've gotten so affluent that...we're bored.

In Canada there is no excuse for homelessness. Yet we have it. Why? Many of the Canadian homeless are not fit mentally. Should they be out sleeping in the streets or in tents? Shouldn't they be institutionalized for the benefit of everyone...including themselves? Of course but, they're still out there, every night and day. "But you can't just lock them all up!" is the main argument. To which I would answer..."Why not? Sure we can. Watch." "But there's nowhere to put them all. You Conservatives closed all the metal hospitals."  True...the Ontario Conservatives did close some mental hospitals. But we can re-build them and in the meantime, its not like the hospitals are full. They are not. They just don't have the staff to accommodate the people. "But its heartless. Where's your compassion?" And there's the crux of the argument. Compassion. The crutch of the affluent, as only they have the time to think about such things. This crutch of the affluent drives many of us to advocate for insane stuff.

We open our borders but won't let the new people practice their professions. We demand reparations be paid to black people and natives, for things none of us ever experienced. We let hardened criminals roam the streets with impunity. We burn down whole city blocks, fight with police, defund the police, highlight and celebrate sexual deviance, Trash our own source of energy, and so many other silly things we've done...in the name of Compassion.

I say...we have gotten so affluent that we're spoiled brats now. We have everything we could possible need and more. There's nothing to compete for anymore and we elderly have taught our own kids this. We haven't challenged them enough and now they're turned loose on a world with only one goal in mind...pleasure. My kids say it all the time. "Dad I need to find a career I enjoy." Pfft...

Our young are BORED. They have nothing real to drive for anymore, so they turn to their own feelings. They want to feel good, but don't realize that the empty hole they're trying to fill, can only be filled by self-achievement. To build a sense of self-worth with hard work and focus. Without that, they lash out in directionless outrage about really silly crap.

don't worry

hard times are coming

to forge better men by crucible

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:54 AM, Nationalist said:

If anything it seems like they're bored to the point of having to trigger their elder generations just for shit's and giggles.  It certainly doesn't take much effort - like shooting fish in a barrel.

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

If anything it seems like they're bored to the point of having to trigger their elder generations just for shit's and giggles.  It certainly doesn't take much effort - like shooting fish in a barrel.

Or your own foot. One or the other.

15 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I love that word. I'm stealing it.

What else do you call it? Passionate, adamant, outspoken.. and yet all they do is complain and whine via internet.. internet chat forums, facebook, twitter, tiktok. Now, do they actually spend a dime to help these causes that they are supposedly so passionate about? No. They spend nothing, they do nothing. 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, impartialobserver said:

. Compared to my hometown, Boise, it was a step back in time. I got a unique insight into how life in the modern urban life is fairly easy.  

Boise would be the eighteenth largest city in Canada, would be the largest or second largest in many provinces.  How is life there or in another city easier?

I'm trying to understand.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Better.  But my question then becomes ... why is life easier in Boise than Shoup ?

If one was to move to shoup, idaho right now and did not have retirement income or some other independent source then you would face certain harsh realities

1. Forest service dirt road that is only maintained once per year.

2. 30 to 50 mile one way drive on that dirt road to the nearest retail outlet that sells anything 

3. 55 -ish mile commute (mostly on dirt road) to the nearest grocery store or hardware store

4. No public utilities. You have to supply your own power via generator. There is no internet and phone service is limited. As for sanitation, you have to have a septic tank. Water.. fend for yourselves. If and when any of this fails, you have to take care of it yourself. Getting someone to come from the nearest town, Salmon, is quite expensive and they will not arrive for a few days at the least

5. If you are a wage-earner, you face steep odds. Lack of foot traffic makes a consumption based business such as restaurant difficult. Yes, you can break even but expecting a comfortable life is for fools. Therefore, if you insist on living here, you will need to commute to the nearest town and earn a meager existence. 

6. With no socialization to be found, one has to travel to see or do anything other than fish or sit in nature. For most people, this is not enough. 

How do I know these things? I spent six of seven summers from 1990 to 1997 here.

Now compare this with Boise where the commute to a grocery store/restaurant/hardware store is as little as a few blocks. One's employment prospects go from a dozen prospects to thousands and most which do not demand a 55 mile commute one way. 

On 3/17/2023 at 1:09 PM, impartialobserver said:

No. They spend nothing, they do nothing

Basically. I worked with a girl who shamed you for mentioning Canada day. 

"Its not your country. You stole their land" "Do you even know what you're responsible for? Do you even know the things Canada has done?" In the most condescending voice ever. "Some people are just more aware than others!"

So spewing vitriol was her way of righting the past wrongs. 

It literally did nothing. 

It also was uneducated. IE you would be better off spewing at the countries actually responsible for the taking of that land. 

Like you're literally angry, on the behalf of others. That is the most liberal thing you could do.

Like my white friends being triggered when I faced racism.

"Did you see how she demanded to check your receipt, then double checked your bag?"

Uh yeah...

"Thats racism!"

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it.

"No! OMG I am so angry! That is unfair! You need to ask for their manager!

Dude. It's fine. I really..

"No. Racism is unacceptable!" "Just because you're black, doesn't mean you're a thief!"

(And I make a bad black thief joke to diffuse the tension, that makes things worse)

All the while I am standing there completely confused at who had just experienced the racism.

Again, it did nothing. Shamed the employee sure, but they didn't look thrilled at their job anyway.

Okay pat yourself on the back. You stood up for a racialized person. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1