Democracy

11 hours ago, Army Guy said:

as for the PM on par with some of the highest CEO in the private sector,  

Cough*

CITE please.

This article puts typical salary at $1M, with bonus takes you to $45M as the top total compensation for Canada.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-ceos-at-canadas-largest-companies-saw-23-per-cent-pay-increase-in-2021/

8 hours ago, myata said:

1. Where is it and who defines it and how? Let's see yes we can see it. In one of those funny terse statements on MP remuneration you can find at your fingertips, there's a comparison to a hockey player salary. Do you see where the aspiration, the standard is set? Or should we be interested in the median income instead, that half of the population in the country are living below? Who decides that, where's the balance, what is enough -

2. you cannot answer this because you don't like it, the answer. None, nobody, nothing. Pigs run their own trough.

3. You forgot the lifetime pension right, oh so easy to slip out.. for the majority of our population.  

4. Where's the more enough?

1. It's defined through the political system obviously.  They make less than hockey players I think, but anyway value is subjective.  When I was young hockey players were paid very low and folks would say 'why should they get that kind of money for playing a game '?

2. I did answer it.  I don't "not like it", I just don't think it needs so much attention.

3. True, the pension is indeed generous.  That's why most of the Reform Party turned hypocrite and accepted the pension after saying that they wouldn't.

4. I think that the time you spend away from family is one reason to pay people this much.  I don't think that they need to get more.  I just don't see why this is a priority.  You still couldn't buy a nice house in Toronto on this salary...

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Cough*

CITE please.

This article puts typical salary at $1M, with bonus takes you to $45M as the top total compensation for Canada.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-ceos-at-canadas-largest-companies-saw-23-per-cent-pay-increase-in-2021/

There is no site micheal, I said it would be reasonable to pay the PM the same as the highest CEO in the country, if it would attract a better candidate. 

But if it would attract a better quality of MP, then i would agree to pay them way more, as for the PM on par with some of the highest CEO in the private sector, would be reasonable provided your getting quality, and not just some run of the mill politician like we have across all our parties.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

did answer it. 

You did, right. "Political system" for itself, with no checks, balances or reasonable limits. Pigs defining the size of their own trough. Now, that sounds like a novel idea.

the time you spend away from family is one reason

We are in the 21st century many things are possible if we care to notice. But look in any problem or challenge there are two main ways to approach it. One is to look and make happen that is better and makes sense, result driven. And the other is to look for reasons why nothing needs to be done and all has to be exactly as .... generations back. And in this country, politically and more and more everywhere throughout the society one doesn't even need to guess which one.

still couldn't buy a nice house in Toronto on this salary...

Now we're talking business, so let's forget about generous service, etc pretty heartwarming words. So it's nothing about "representation" only a salary, and then you owe loyalty and responsibility to your boss, like in any other job how else? Thanks for putting it so succinctly.

Something important, of essence has happened recently and we barely even noticed: public institutions in the country can no longer be trusted. Covid-scare, a string of scandals shrugged off by everybody from RCMP ("couldn't they just permit themselves to do what they like?") to courts and the Parliament"" with the conclusion that the fruit is ripe. Power can be usurped, the path and mechanism is available and quite obvious and no checks or controls exist anywhere in sight.

Sprinkle a few more goodies (out of public's own purse whose else). And don't forget yourself, for a job well done. Lap media will cheer and destroy political opponents. Independent"" commissioners appointed by you (who else?) will for years walk around the cabinets asking, what if they can do that legally (because they can, pretty much anything). Courts will push the paper around for a few years (or decades) till the problem fixes itself anyhow. And who else, what? Do we have anything? This is not some dark fantasy, a fact, facts. Only takes someone figuring it out: yes, we can.