GAS PRICES

On 6/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, eyeball said:

No, they're simply passing price gouging on to the consumer.

This has to be Trudeau's way to claw back money paid in COVID support, or collect money for weapons to be sent to Ukraine.

2 hours ago, cougar said:

This has to be Trudeau's way to claw back money paid in COVID support, or collect money for weapons to be sent to Ukraine.

Plus, he's liking the effect this has on reducing consumption of fossil fuels. Less travel by combustion engine good.

That means for you and me of course. Not the supra-elite, those who gallivant about the globe in their own private jets.

That's why, bring back the horse I say. Better yet, bring back sailing vessels. It was the only way Greta Thunberg would travel across the sea.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Less travel by combustion engine good.

That means for you and me of course. Not the supra-elite, those who gallivant about the globe in their own private jets.

We live in such a bizarre country that everything is possible.  Prices of houses doubled and there is still crazy demand for them with people who can buy and banks who can lend them the money.

I hear the prices of pickups are also up, so instead of $50K people spend $100K for a pickup.

If all this can continue I can't see how $3 / liter of gas makes any difference.

I live within walking distance from downtown and a 7 minute drive to work.  It affects me, but those who go 150km one way daily in a pickup seem to be unaffected.

• Confused 1

AFIK most taxes on Gas are fixed. Meaning they don't go up when the price goes up, they're flat on a Litre of gas. HST/GST is charged on the final total, so that's variable but the Carbon and Excise taxes are fixed. The Carbon Tax goes up annually, but it's still just an incremental increase. 2 cents/litre this year, I believe. 

This crisis is almost exclusively profit taking by the Oil companies. They haven't ramped up production to meet demand as we emerge from the pandemic. They're quite happy making huge profits without the overhead of additional drilling and refining. 

The only thing that will change their tune is an appreciable drop in demand. Which a recession will do nicely. People may need to find alternatives or, like me, deciding to use an Electric vehicle for a vast majority of my private travel. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/3/2022 at 11:33 PM, OldMan777 said:

Are gas stations just price gouging now?

Nope.

It's called the FREE MARKET.

Gasoline is based on the cost of oil. Since Unelected Joe destroyed domestic energy production and gave all our business to his masters in Russia, oil prices have gone through the roof.

Gee! LEGALLY ELECTED PRESIDENT TRUMP had gasoline prices almost HALF of what they are today.

Blame unelected Joe for this, not the gas stations.

7 hours ago, herbie said:

Prices here have dropped below $1.60/L

Just in time. I can afford to warm up the car so my arse doesn't freeze to the seats at -30

Yes, they went down by about 10% in my town, while some of the food I buy went up by another 30%.

No, no... food prices are going up only 7% a year, haven't you watched the news?

That's why they f***ing DOUBLE every week. Don't you know official gov't math?

They use a 1956 food basket, of things like milk, bread, eggs and stuff nobody eats or buys anymore and every store on the planet has to sell competitively. Don't your teenage kids sit at the breakfast table scrubbed and beaming awaiting their breakfast of rolled oats or gruel? Hard boiled eggs with white margarine? Sardines & crackers for lunch?
And happy husbands come home to light up a pipe and await your tuna chip casseroles or Spam and jello salad? Mystery meatloafs? Mmmmmm!

I mean Good Lord, I see chicken necks and backs in the store for $8 pkg, stuff we used to buy for crab bait for 69c when the kids were little.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 11:33 PM, OldMan777 said:

Are gas stations just price gouging now?

It's physically impossible for them to do that. There are too many gas stations for such a situation to exist. And there's no way for an individual gas station to be able to dictate its wholesale cost of gasoline.

If you want to know why gasoline prices are so high, here's your answer:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-secrets/voters-know-high-gas-prices-are-bidens-fault

https://nypost.com/2022/06/13/gas-prices-too-high-its-all-part-of-bidens-plan-to-eliminate-fossil-fuels/

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/biden-high-gas-prices-blame-himself

https://www.grantcountybeat.com/editorials/editorial/72445-gas-prices-are-the-biden-administration-s-fault

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/record-high-gas-prices-result-bidens-policies-mullin

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/opinion/close-to-home-high-gas-prices-are-bidens-fault/